HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 08:20 AM
flyers28giroux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Hey guys Galchenyuk scored 2G and 1A against the Guelph storm tonight, I uploaded a video of the goals in the Habs board and I thought it may be appropriate here as well.
Can't wait to see him play at the world juniors, he's going to be a treat to watch.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:58 AM
poetryinmotion

Our penalty killers better bring their A games for this tourney it seems.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb527 View Post
the Noesen ruling could in general be a bad thing for hockey in general. In theory, If I were a player with a chance to play for my country at world juniors, why would I play hard, finish my checks or put myself in a situation where a wrong turn could get me suspended. Especially if I was a high profile foreign player playing in a Canadian league. It does't smell right how the Huberdeau incident was punished in comparison.
Good point. I have a feeling branch (ohl commissioner) knew what he was doing when he decided ten games. If that was strome or Jenner that threw that hit I wonder if they would have been punished the same.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Good point. I have a feeling branch (ohl commissioner) knew what he was doing when he decided ten games. If that was strome or Jenner that threw that hit I wonder if they would have been punished the same.
Um, in the OHL, 10 games is standard. You think it's some sort of conspiracy to weaken Team USA? Not to sound overconfident, but I don't think Team Canada needs the added advantage his suspension would bring (nor any other team)?

That being said, I hope he's allowed to participate.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
I really don't agree with the IIHF decision to uphold this suspension. This isn't a Bertuzzi incident. The OHL has been cracking down hard on head shots for a while now with overly stiff penalties, but they are really trying to purge it from the game as much as possible. I applaud that stance. For you to question the integrity of their ruling or suggest this is motivated by weakening the Team USA in the U20 is preposterous. It's as tin foil hat wearing as Swedes who suggest that the Senators have colluded with Hockey Canada to keep Zibanejad out of the tournament.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Cfriss216

Didn't mean for those comments to go to far, I'm not the only one who brought it up. I watch every Whalers game and I would hate to see Noeson miss this tourney because of a IIHF ruling. I guess my frustrations made me think to far into it. Nothing has been determined yet right? We'll just wait it out and see.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Bibeen

Who's going to be the offensive defenseman for team USA ? Shayne Gostisbehere ?

Old
12-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibeen View Post
Who's going to be the offensive defenseman for team USA ? Shayne Gostisbehere ?
I think Matt Grzelcyk and Jones will put up the most points imo.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Bibeen

Who's going to be selected (defensemans) by team USA?

Old
12-15-2012, 02:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibeen View Post
Who's going to be selected (defensemans) by team USA?
If it were up to me, it would be Murphy, Jones, Trouba, McCabe, Gostisbehere, Sieloff, and Grzelcyk. Pairings like:

Jones-Murphy
Trouba-Gostisbehere
McCabe-Sieloff
Grzelcyk

As a BU student, I've seen Grzelcyk a lot and he's a great PPQB. With Jones and Gostisbehere on the first unit, a combination of he and Trouba would make for two very solid PP units for pointmen. He's mature beyond his years, has incredible vision, and is very patient with the puck. His shot isn't that great, but he knows how to get it off and how to get it to the net. He would be able to set up Trouba's shot very well.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:33 PM
General Granny*

Wait did Noesen get suspended?

Old
12-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Bibeen

Thank you.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
If it were up to me, it would be Murphy, Jones, Trouba, McCabe, Gostisbehere, Sieloff, and Grzelcyk. Pairings like:

Jones-Murphy
Trouba-Gostisbehere
McCabe-Sieloff
Grzelcyk

As a BU student, I've seen Grzelcyk a lot and he's a great PPQB. With Jones and Gostisbehere on the first unit, a combination of he and Trouba would make for two very solid PP units for pointmen. He's mature beyond his years, has incredible vision, and is very patient with the puck. His shot isn't that great, but he knows how to get it off and how to get it to the net. He would be able to set up Trouba's shot very well.
cant disagree with this at all. i would pic the same exact d core

Old
12-15-2012, 03:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Jones-Murphy
Trouba-Gostisbehere
McCabe-Sieloff
Grzelcyk

Don't a lot of those guys exclusively play the other side you are putting them on? Like Trouba and Jones? or were you just not caring about sides and more the shape of the core (if so my bad)?

Old
12-15-2012, 03:41 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Don't a lot of those guys exclusively play the other side you are putting them on? Like Trouba and Jones? or were you just not caring about sides and more the shape of the core (if so my bad)?
I think Jones and Trouba mostly play on the right side, but besides that I must admit that those pairings are pretty good defensive pairings. Should be interesting if they go with something similar like those defensive pairings in Ufa.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Wait did Noesen get suspended?
10 games

Old
12-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Zippy316

Out of curiosity, if Noesen's suspension keeps him out of the tournament, any chance they bring along another top-six guy to camp like Boucher just in case.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:16 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I was just going by which styles compliment each other well. If you consider handedness, then it would look like:

Murphy-Jones
Gostisbehere-Trouba
McCabe-Sieloff
Grzelcyk

We have a rare amount of right handed D(Murphy, Jones, and Trouba). It's especially rare that they're probably our 3 best defensemen. The top pairing would be all RH, the second pairing would be one of each, and the 3rd pairing and Grzelcyk would be all left handed. I'd say they work fine like that because I don't think it's necessary to put a weaker guy(McCabe/Sieloff) on the top pairing just because they're LH to compliment Jones.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I was just going by which styles compliment each other well. If you consider handedness, then it would look like:

Murphy-Jones
Gostisbehere-Trouba
McCabe-Sieloff
Grzelcyk

We have a rare amount of right handed D(Murphy, Jones, and Trouba). It's especially rare that they're probably our 3 best defensemen. The top pairing would be all RH, the second pairing would be one of each, and the 3rd pairing and Grzelcyk would be all left handed. I'd say they work fine like that because I don't think it's necessary to put a weaker guy(McCabe/Sieloff) on the top pairing just because they're LH to compliment Jones.
Danke

Old
12-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Out of curiosity, if Noesen's suspension keeps him out of the tournament, any chance they bring along another top-six guy to camp like Boucher just in case.
Frankly I don't think so. I think it just means somebody like Kuraly, Hartman or Barber, whoever, are not dropped from camp. If Kerdiles is indeed added to camp then he would be the top 6 replacement.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

I would have thought at first glance that the pairings would end up more along the lines of;

Gostisbehere - Jones
Sieloff - Trouba
McCabe - Murphy
Grzelcyk/Reilly

Old
12-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I would have thought at first glance that the pairings would end up more along the lines of;

Gostisbehere - Jones
Sieloff - Trouba
McCabe - Murphy
Grzelcyk/Reilly
This is close to what I think will happen. Of course I consider having off sided defenseman a thing of last resort.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:09 PM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Not to sound overconfident...
Why stop now?

Half the fun of the last few World Junior tourneys has been seeing overconfident Canadian fans taken down a peg or two.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:11 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
Why stop now?

Half the fun of the last few World Junior tourneys has been seeing overconfident Canadian fans taken down a peg or two.
If I remember, last year, YOU (Walt, and YOUR overconfidence) were taken down a peg or two... or three... or four... or five... or six...

Glad to see you are back for the World Juniors.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:14 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

National Post has a story on the U.S. team...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...world-juniors/

Closed Thread