HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
TinordiandSubban

vCash: 500
Usa wjc

Galchenyuk-Grimaldi-Boucher
-the best passer, best skater and best shooter on the top line. Boucher knows where to be now to get those feeds from Alex and Rocco replicates the Sarnia top line, which has been deadly. this will be one of the most exciting lines in the WJC!

Gaudreau-Miller-Biggs
-the big boys open up some ice for the NCAA's best forward and both have enough skill to keep up.

Lucia-Noesen-Kerdiles
-some more big bodies with speed who can make things happen. the energy line.

Vail-Trochek-Samuelsson
-a checking line that can shut down the opposition's best.

Matteau/Kuraly as the extra forward, Matteau might be more versatile but Kuraly had a great summer camp.

McCabe-Jones - both are workhorse types who can play in all situations
Sieloff-Trouba - will intimidate the opposition, the shutdown pairing
Grzelcyk-Murphy - can create from the back and should be good on the PP
Gostisbehere

Gibson
Gillies

Very solid team, no major weakness and can play any style needed.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
What do you guys think about Galchenyuk's odd at winning tournament MVP? My fellow Habs fans and I were talking about the possibility and the on the Habs forum and thought there is a chance that it happens, but unlikely due to the talent locked out of the NHL and forced to stay in Junior (Huberdeau, Strome, Yakupov, Hamilton, etc.). So is there a chance he can accomplish it?
I hope it happens, because as he goes the U.S. team in general is going to go. At the very least he needs to have a Derek Stepan like impact (from 2010). Hopefully they can get some wingers that he'll have chemistry with (Gaudreau or more likely Boucher). Maybe a banger to get him some space (Matteau or Biggs). He needs to run the PP as well.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I hope it happens, because as he goes the U.S. team in general is going to go. At the very least he needs to have a Derek Stepan like impact (from 2010). Hopefully they can get some wingers that he'll have chemistry with (Gaudreau or more likely Boucher). Maybe a banger to get him some space (Matteau or Biggs). He needs to run the PP as well.
Like DuckJet said, could Kerdiles be a good winger option for Gally, considering they're good friends?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Like DuckJet said, could Kerdiles be a good winger option for Gally, considering they're good friends?
I'm not sure that's a factor. If Kerdiles is in "game shape" he'll probably make the team, but it's unknown if he'd play with Galchenyuk or not.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:59 AM
topched

Quote:
In all honesty, I think its going to be tough for anyone to unseat Nugent-Hopkins if he plays for Canada. He's head and shoulders above any other "prospect" who would be playing in this Tourney, with Yakupov being the only one close.

I think the US are going to stack up pretty well. I've seen a number of Biggs games on television so far, he's looking very good, riding shotgun beside Blue Jackets prospect Boone Jenner. His skating has really improved and should play just fine on the big ice.

Other than Jones do you guys see any draft eligible prospects making the American team?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
In all honesty, I think its going to be tough for anyone to unseat Nugent-Hopkins if he plays for Canada. He's head and shoulders above any other "prospect" who would be playing in this Tourney.

I think the US are going to stack up pretty well. I've seen a number of Biggs games on television so far, he's looking very good, riding shotgun beside Blue Jackets prospect Boone Jenner. His skating has really improved and should play just fine on the big ice.

Other than Jones do you guys see any draft eligible prospects making the American team?
I think Ryan Hartman has a shot.

And agreed, Gally is going to have competition with a lot of prospects, including RNH.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
In all honesty, I think its going to be tough for anyone to unseat Nugent-Hopkins if he plays for Canada. He's head and shoulders above any other "prospect" who would be playing in this Tourney, with Yakupov being the only one close.

Well, to be fair I usually hate pinning my hopes on one guy (even a RNH). I just hope Galchenyuk can be an effective offensive leader on this team. As for draft eligibles-Hartman has a shot as does Erne.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:18 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Well, to be fair I usually hate pinning my hopes on one guy (even a RNH). I just hope Galchenyuk can be an effective offensive leader on this team. As for draft eligibles-Hartman has a shot as does Erne.
Oh man, totally forgot Erne.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Keke

Any chance for Draeger or Seeler?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:00 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
-the best passer, best skater and best shooter on the top line. Boucher knows where to be now to get those feeds from Alex and Rocco replicates the Sarnia top line, which has been deadly. this will be one of the most exciting lines in the WJC!

Gaudreau-Miller-Biggs
-the big boys open up some ice for the NCAA's best forward and both have enough skill to keep up.

Lucia-Noesen-Kerdiles

Vail-Trochek-Samuelsson

Matteau/Kuraly as the extra forward, Matteau might be more versatile but Kuraly had a great summer camp.

Gostisbehere

Gibson
Gillies

My bet is:

Galchenyuk-Grimaldi-Erne
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Noesen
Miller-Samuelsson-Lucia
Matteau-Vail-Biggs
Kerdiles

McCabe-Jones
Sieloff-Trouba
Gostisbehere-Murphy
Reilly

Gibson
Gillies

Old
11-28-2012, 12:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post

Gaudreau-Miller-Biggs

Lucia-Noesen-Kerdiles

Vail-Trochek-Samuelsson

Gostisbehere

Gibson
Gillies

excellent post!

I agree with much of what you have said here. I love it when a US squad gets underrated or just goes a bit under the radar like this one seems to be doing already.

The talent level from top down is some of the overall best we have been able to put together. Our highend may not be as highend as some previous years, but our lowend guys are better then the majority of teams we have had the past 5-6 years.

This squad is balanced with a ton of grit, speed, and leaders...I really like how the makeup of this team looks.

I also find it pretty amazing that this squad could go to Ufa without Matteau, Samuelsson, Vail, and Hartman and not have it look like another CHL bias. There are plenty of guys who can fill the roles those mentioned above would likely play, and fill it better imo.

The two major wildcards here are Kerdiles and Lucia. Both extremely talented kids, who both have size and speed that make them locks if healthy. I am not saying the US needs both these kids to win, but if we somehow are able to get both Kerdiles and Lucia back into 100% game shape prior to the tourney, this is a major boon for this squad.

Another pure wildcard is Adam Erne. I understand how rare it is for the US to bring along 17 year olds, but man is this kid legit. He is 6'2 200lbs and is scoring at such an impressive rate, I really can see them bringing him along for the experience as well as him being a better overall player then Matteau and Samuelsson...

Galchenyuk, Grimaldi, Miller, Gaudreau, Trocheck, and Boucher will give this team enough highend skill to hang with the big dogs...but it is in the areas of Noesen, Lucia, Kerdiles, Biggs, Matteau, Erne, Hartman, etc that this team will really shine.

Our goaltending should be good enough to get us through to the medal round, but our defense is going to be our strength as we will have a number of intimidating players on our point. Jones, Trouba, Seiloff, Murphy, and McCabe will not be fun to play against....not at all.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
SuperUnknown

I think Travis Boyd is in the mix for a spot on the 4th line.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
My bet is:

Galchenyuk-Grimaldi-Erne
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Noesen
Miller-Samuelsson-Lucia
Matteau-Vail-Biggs
Kerdiles

McCabe-Jones
Sieloff-Trouba
Gostisbehere-Murphy
Reilly

Gibson
Gillies
I am really not a fan of Samuelsson right now...especially not as our 3rd line center. If he makes the team, it should be as an energy type 13th forward. There is no way on Earth I would pick Samuelsson over Boucher for this tournament. We have plenty of grinders and big bodies with Matteau, Vail, Biggs, Miller, and Lucia (if healthy)....we need a bit more scoring prowess imo, and Boucher is the man for that job..

I would take Riley Barber over Samuelsson as well. This kid is playing the way I thought he should of played last year, and is turning major heads at Miami. Barber is a kid not getting mentioned much, but with playing for the USNDP last year, and how well he is playing as a freshman, I have to believe he makes this team.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:13 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Shayne Gostisbehere (Flyers 3rd round 2012 pick) has a strong chance to make the team. Excerpt from United States of Hockey (US hockey blog):

"The U.S. also has a host of skill players that can create offensively from the defensive position, which is going to be especially important this year with some questions up front.

That’s a big reason I think Shayne Gostisbehere will be a potential top-two pairing defenseman for Team USA. He has poise with the puck and knows how to create. He’s great on the power play and has more than enough hockey sense to be effective in the D zone. He lacks physical strength, but he has that skill and speed to get away with it. Gostisbehere has also played on the big stage before, having been part of Union’s Frozen Four run last season."

He was a standout at the camp this past summer and has 10 pts in 11 NCAA games this year for Union.
Well from that report, you could definitely say he's Gostisbethere.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I havent heard much about Dylan Blujus this year for this team. The kid is like a condor on ice with his massive wingspan! He plays for a pretty average Brampton squad in the OHL, so maybe thats why he flies under the radar...but I feel he is on the same level as McCabe and certainly better then Skjei right now.. though not as great of a skater as Brady..

I think he can play that Brian Lashoff role from 2010 perfectly, and would be a wonderful addition to this team as Housley can really put a number of big and strong dmen on the ice. I understand his overall skating on the big ice might hurt him a bit, but I think he can do just fine in a physical shutdown type of role for this team.

Also, not much mention of Troy Vance as well. Vance is a kid that is a monster on skates. He is so damn physical out there. The kid has offensive skill as well, and a solid skater for his size. Bigger ice might be a concern, but he has to be another player in the mix here as he would really be a warrior in the corners for us, and did I mention his monster open ice hits??

Old
11-28-2012, 12:18 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Colin Jacobs is having a wonderful year this year. At a ppg pace, playing physical, and a leader. I know this is his 4th season in the WHL, but it finally looks like he is starting to get top minutes and consistently contribute for Prince George..

A long shot I am sure, but a definite bright spot as a player who really dropped off prior to his draft year.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I am really not a fan of Samuelsson right now...especially not as our 3rd line center. If he makes the team, it should be as an energy type 13th forward. There is no way on Earth I would pick Samuelsson over Boucher for this tournament. We have plenty of grinders and big bodies with Matteau, Vail, Biggs, Miller, and Lucia (if healthy)....we need a bit more scoring prowess imo, and Boucher is the man for that job..

I would take Riley Barber over Samuelsson as well. This kid is playing the way I thought he should of played last year, and is turning major heads at Miami. Barber is a kid not getting mentioned much, but with playing for the USNDP last year, and how well he is playing as a freshman, I have to believe he makes this team.
Gaudreau-Galchenyuk-Erne
Miller-Grimaldi-Noesen
Kerdiles-Trocheck-Boucher
Matteau-Vail-Biggs
Samuelsson

How's that?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

there truly is a lot of depth and a lot of kids that can fill similar roles for this WJC team.

I will give it a shot and pick a team I think can really contend for the GOLD.

Goalies
John Gibson
Jon Gillies

Defense

Seth Jones
Jacob Trouba
Connor Murphy
Jake McCabe
Shane Gostisbehere
Patrick Sieloff
Dylan Blujus

Forwards

Alex Galchenyuk
J.T Miller
Rocco Grimaldi
Stefan Noesen
Vincent Trocheck
Riley Barber
Stefan Matteau
Nick Kerdiles
Tyler Biggs
Reid Boucher
John Gaudreau
Brady Vail
Adam Erne

for me there is a solid list of player just missing the cut:

forwards - Mario Lucia (not sure if he will be healthy enough, but damn glad he is back on the ice!!), Travis Boyd, Henrik Samuelsson, Ryan Hartman, Colin Jacobs, Cristoval Nieves, Brian Hart, Sean Kuraly

defense - Brady Skjei, Troy Vance, Matt Grezlecyk, Jordan Schmaltz,

Last edited by AmericanDream: 11-28-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 12:32 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Gaudreau-Galchenyuk-Erne
Miller-Grimaldi-Noesen
Kerdiles-Trocheck-Boucher
Matteau-Vail-Biggs
Samuelsson

How's that?
hahahahaha, better!!

Old
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Smallz

So none of you would consider sending Andy Welinski?

Old
11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

It looks like the pre-lim roster will be released on Tuesday.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:35 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Trocheck is a top6 guy. I think he will shine this tournament and impress a lot of people here. He is so dynamic.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Trocheck is a top6 guy. I think he will shine this tournament and impress a lot of people here. He is so dynamic.
IMO he's more the kind of guy you want to have on your third line as a luxury. He's the third best center USA has so that's probably where he'll end up as well

Old
11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
I'm not sure that's a factor. If Kerdiles is in "game shape" he'll probably make the team, but it's unknown if he'd play with Galchenyuk or not.
Yeah. Him not being 100% could play a factor and there's no guarantee they'll mesh well.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Not sure where to put this, but apparently the IIHF has ruled that WJC teams can carry three goalies now-making for a 23 man roster. I wonder if that means the U.S. will bring four goalies to camp or just the three they plan on bringing? Maybe a Brendan Burke for next year?

Closed Thread