HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan / York

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Callahan / York

Anyone think Ryan Callahan is a similar player to Mike York? I've only seen Callahan twice (last two WJC games), but his drive reminds me a lot of York. He's not a big guy, though he seems bigger then York. He seems like a guy that will work hard at both ends of the ice, take a hit to make a play, and can play in almost any situation (including PK, and some PP). He doesn't seem like a goal-scorer, but he can score. Anyone else see this comparison or have a better one? I'm really liking what I see from Callahan at this point. He doesn't appear to have a ton of talent, but is quickly becoming one of my favorite Ranger prospects.

Old
12-28-2004, 02:50 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Anyone think Ryan Callahan is a similar player to Mike York? I've only seen Callahan twice (last two WJC games), but his drive reminds me a lot of York. He's not a big guy, though he seems bigger then York. He seems like a guy that will work hard at both ends of the ice, take a hit to make a play, and can play in almost any situation (including PK, and some PP). He doesn't seem like a goal-scorer, but he can score. Anyone else see this comparison or have a better one? I'm really liking what I see from Callahan at this point. He doesn't appear to have a ton of talent, but is quickly becoming one of my favorite Ranger prospects.
I see he can be a hard working gritty mark parrish type. a streaky player but will work hard all the time.

Old
12-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I think he is a first half of the season Mike York but with more physical play to him.

Old
12-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Fletch

Callahan doesn't have York's skill...

and smarts right now. I think we need to continue to watch him develop as it's too early to tell at this point. He does seem a bit bigger out there, though...bigger than his listed 5'10, 175 lbs.

Old
12-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Levitate

he's played a pretty effective physical game as well

coulda had a couple more points with a bit of luck last night, but he played well

Old
12-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Fletch

That's the thing, Levitate...

will he be able to convert those chances to goals at the NHL level? So many of these hard-working guys get tons of chances, but bury few and end up on fourth lines. Nice players...but NHL grinders when it's all said and done. Not saying Callahan's fate is resigned to that, but it's tough at this point seeing anything past a third liner. I like what I see so far though. He's a hardworker. That could get him somewhere.

Old
12-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Levitate

true, i think it's a bit too early to know for sure where he'll end up. he might have the talent to be a 2nd liner when it's all said and done, maybe not. just have to see how he develops over the long run

Old
12-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
will he be able to convert those chances to goals at the NHL level? So many of these hard-working guys get tons of chances, but bury few and end up on fourth lines. Nice players...but NHL grinders when it's all said and done. Not saying Callahan's fate is resigned to that, but it's tough at this point seeing anything past a third liner. I like what I see so far though. He's a hardworker. That could get him somewhere.
Agreed, he is one of the harder workers on the team. One player I've been comparing him against is Drew Stafford. Stafford for being a first round pick has shown why he was picked so high with two great shots for goals so far. Hence, the difference between Stafford and Callahan. However, I've been very disappointed in Stafford's "hustle" so far. Too bad you couldn't put Callahan's heart in Stafford's body!

I think Callahan falls into the Murray, Hollweg category as players who try their hardest but still are missing hands and or a quality shot.

Old
12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Levitate

he's got a nice slapshot...created several rebound chances for other players by pounding a hard shot on net

can't really remember him getting the chance to get a good wrister on net...but hasn't he scored quite a few goals on his junior team this year? i think he has some talent but it's gonna be his hard work that gets him somewhere.

york wasn't amazingly skilled either really, but he worked hard

Old
12-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Fish

Callahan reminded me more of Adam Graves than Mike York...in style at least

Closed Thread