HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Skates Frustration!

Old
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
hoatmeal
Rookie User

vCash: 500
New Skates Frustration!

Anyone ever dealt with the torture of owning new skates? I bought the first pair of skates in 15 years in January- my old Bauer Supreme skates were so comfortable, I had them since High School. I was always a really good skater before- but now with these new Bauers (and I also took two years off from playing), I took to the ice in rec league and could barely stand up- like staggering and falling all over the ice!!! What the %$@$%#$ is going on? Breaking in new skates is a hassle, but this bad? I even had them baked before I left the store!

hoatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:31 PM
CoopALoop

Sounds more like you need to learn how to skate again.

All kidding aside, you're breaking in a new set of skates, which takes time regardless, from a pair of slippers you've had for a loooong time.

Give it some time (2-4 skates worth) and you'll be as comfortable in them as you were previously.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, the materials in the newer skates are less flexible. You'll get the hang of it.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

I bought new skates recently, and they were driving me nuts. No matter what I did, they always felt too loose. After a few games, it occured to me that the laces that came with the skates were not waxed. I took the waxed laces from my old skates and put them on my new skates, and it made a world of difference! Ordered some new wax laces and skates have been fine ever since.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
JR97

Probably a dumb question but the shop sharpened them, too?

A buddy of mine had new skates, got 'em baked at the shop, was super excited, stepped on the ice and was falling down all over the place. Baked but not sharpened.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:53 AM
hoatmeal
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR97 View Post
Probably a dumb question but the shop sharpened them, too?

A buddy of mine had new skates, got 'em baked at the shop, was super excited, stepped on the ice and was falling down all over the place. Baked but not sharpened.
Yeah, they were sharpened- but I guess the composites used in the skates make them harder to break in.

Sucks, my balance on skates is like a 4-year old. My buddies were laughing their ***** off.

So I guess it will get easier after 5-10 skates?

Old
03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoatmeal View Post
Yeah, they were sharpened- but I guess the composites used in the skates make them harder to break in.

Sucks, my balance on skates is like a 4-year old. My buddies were laughing their ***** off.

So I guess it will get easier after 5-10 skates?
It will.

Current skates are actually easier to break in, especially with baking. And yes, you are right in regaards to the boots being of a harder material. It will be an adjustment period.

Give it a few skates and really try to work them in. They'll get better.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Mine hurt until I got them punched out up front, which is necessary because of my wide forefeet. I had trouble skating (turning, using edges) until I had them profiled to match my old skates. But I had been skating for ~ 5 years by then.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Pog Form

Aside from the actual fit of the boot (which could be corrected by baking, punching, etc.), you're probably dealing with a lot more steel underneath you if your old blades were worn down a lot. This can definitely throw you off. In addition, the guy at the store could have sharpened them differently than you're used to (different radius of hollow). Or maybe your old skates had a different profile/radius/rocker or a forward lean, etc. If you still have 'em, you could maybe take your old skates to a competent pro shop and ask them to replicate your old set-up on your new skates.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
hoatmeal
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
you're probably dealing with a lot more steel underneath you if your old blades were worn down a lot
Yeah, never thought of that! My old blades were pretty more down, i'd say 1/4 to 1/2 inch less than the new ones.

I guess the only remedy is to keep skating, skating, skating until I get used to them!
Boy, the things you get used to, like those old ones.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:44 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoatmeal View Post
Yeah, never thought of that! My old blades were pretty more down, i'd say 1/4 to 1/2 inch less than the new ones.

I guess the only remedy is to keep skating, skating, skating until I get used to them!
Boy, the things you get used to, like those old ones.
It's the same with any new gear, there will be a break in period.

Just be thankful that you're a player and not a goalie.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
LarryO

Today's skates are also much stiffer than the older models. I have to leave the top eyelet unlaced on my new Bauers or else the loss of mobility makes my ankles feel like they are in casts.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote