HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flames-Team of the Year ( The Canadian Press & Broadcast News)

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2004, 03:54 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evman
Teams don't need to score a lot of goals when they have a goalie who can actually stop shots from centre ice.
Yea, but it doesnt help when you have 11 third liners and a scorer.
Kipper can't carry you through 82 games you know. Has he even played that many as a starter?

Old
12-31-2004, 03:54 AM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
Get ready Western Conference and the Edmonton Oilers the D Train is coming soon, and hes gonna kill everything in sight, and possiby even leave scraps for Regher.
LOL, the D-Train! :lol Is "Thunder D" gonna hang out at da Dome and chill wit Jarome??

Old
12-31-2004, 03:56 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootchie Cootchie
LOL, the D-Train! :lol Is "Thunder D" gonna hang out at da Dome and chill wit Jarome??
All-abord the Dion Hype machine! Destination, Bertuzzis shoulder!

Old
12-31-2004, 04:02 AM
Evman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Yea, but it doesnt help when you have 11 third liners and a scorer.
Kipper can't carry you through 82 games you know. Has he even played that many as a starter?
Using hyperbole is a sign of a weak argument.

He can't carry the team through 82 games? Why not? Who says he can't? And do you mean he can't play 82 games or he'll fall apart midway through the season?

The Flames also have one of the best if not the best backup goalie in the league.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:31 AM
chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
Well, the Ducks were the first team to sweep a defending Stanley Cup finalist in the first round and beat two division champs. And you could say the Ducks were screwed out of a Cup win by Stevens' hit on Kariya. It's about as logical a thing to cling on to so long after the fact. Oh, and were you ever in Anaheim during the playoffs in '03? I happened to be during the week of the Western Conference Semis. It was electric.

And, uh, Canada's leader is the Prime Minister, not the President.
except the wilds were not a division champ.

it was a great run though, no doubt.

Old
12-31-2004, 06:29 AM
Damicles

If you're talking about the best Canadian Team and Canadian fans in the news... I guess Calgary woulda got it. But as a die hard Oilers fan who visits Calgary ALOT... I felt that alot of the fans jumped on the wagon. Where were they last year? And the year before? It's nice that Calgary's got all this attention now, but let's not kid ourselves. Two years (2003/2004) ago the hardest sell was a Flames Merchandise. Even the start of 2004 was tough. When the playoffs started, everyone bought it 'cause it was the cool thing to do. Don't believe me? Ask the manager at the Flames store at Eau Claire in Cowtown. I guess "flames" girls flashing on your streets doesn't hurt your cause either.

Old
12-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Go Flames Go*

We are gonna re name our building the DionDome just for the fun of it, beware NHL hes coming.

We here in Calgary are proud our team plays hockey the way it should be not like a bunch of wimps.

Tampa Bay is a good team no diserspect, but I hate them now its just normal after what happened.

Last edited by Teemu: 12-31-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old
12-31-2004, 01:22 PM
KH1

The DionDome? The D-Train? Who is this guy, Phaneuf's mother??? The Flames showed amazing grit, skill, heart, and just about everything else that a team can show in an NHL season and are certainly deserving of being honored as the best Canadian team of '04 (though rest assured, the Expos were a close second )

As for Flames fans, don't bother pretending that you don't have some fair weather fans--they were the team that electrified Canada, after Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver were eliminated. If the sea of red has been there every night like you claimed then Calgary would easily be the biggest sports draw in the world.

Old
12-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Tyler

I'll be the first to say that there were a ton of Flames fans jumping on the bandwagon during the run, but that shouldn't take away from the dedicated fans who were with this team throughout our 7 year drought. It was a great year to be a Flames fan, and a great year for hockey in Canada as a whole (WC, Stanley Cup Finals)

Old
12-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Teemu

Enough with the troll-fest, fellas

Old
12-31-2004, 03:04 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
I'll be the first to say that there were a ton of Flames fans jumping on the bandwagon during the run, but that shouldn't take away from the dedicated fans who were with this team throughout our 7 year drought. It was a great year to be a Flames fan, and a great year for hockey in Canada as a whole (WC, Stanley Cup Finals)
Agreed. Good for Canada to finally get some representation in the cup finals...no matter who it is.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Damicles

Quote:
We here in Calgary are proud our team plays hockey the way it should be not like a bunch of wimps.
Tampa Bay is a good team no diserspect, but I hate them now its just normal after what happened.
I think had Calgary played another team other than Tampa Bay, it would have boring to watch, ala San Jose. I'm not a huge fan of the clutch and grab style, but some people say it's "Canadian Hockey". And I hate it when people say that. The way our boys play during the World Jrs and big events like Salt Lake. That's Canadian hockey. I thought the run and gun style of Tampa was really exciting to watch and as a big hockey fan, I'm glad they won. Yeah, I'm disapointed that their fans weren't really into it, but they've got the Devil Rays and Bucs, but everyone's gotta start somewhere. And yes, I'm saying that Calgary fans are better than Tampa fans, but to name them Fans Of The Year, just adds to the craziness. I have friends who have been season tix holders for 3 years before all this happened... and they're wondering where was the love and support when this team REALLY needed it. My vote for Canadian Fans of the year? The guys who travel across the country and bundle up for the Grey Cup every year.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damicles
If you're talking about the best Canadian Team and Canadian fans in the news... I guess Calgary woulda got it. But as a die hard Oilers fan who visits Calgary ALOT... I felt that alot of the fans jumped on the wagon. Where were they last year? And the year before? It's nice that Calgary's got all this attention now, but let's not kid ourselves. Two years (2003/2004) ago the hardest sell was a Flames Merchandise. Even the start of 2004 was tough. When the playoffs started, everyone bought it 'cause it was the cool thing to do. Don't believe me? Ask the manager at the Flames store at Eau Claire in Cowtown. I guess "flames" girls flashing on your streets doesn't hurt your cause either.
well no kidding some casual fans jumped on the bandwagon...that would happen anywhere. The Flames had remarkable support though for a team that was SEVEN years straight out of the playoffs...I'm assuming I don't have to remind you what Northlands was like when I lived in EDM circa 92-94?

whether you like the Flames or not, I think you can agree the city came alive in a refreshing way this spring (and yes I'm sure it would have been similar in Edmonton, I'm not claiming that Calgary fans are unique...just that the situation presented itself)

ps. Im curious what the manager at the Flames store said about the new red jersey. did they sell well prior to the playoffs?? I believe the answer would be yes, but I'm willing to be corrected on that

Old
12-31-2004, 04:38 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Why? They aren't Canadian based teams.

A better example would be the 1994 Nucks.
difference being, of course that the 94 Nucks followed on the heels of the 93 Habs cup, the 90 Oilers cup, the 89 Flames-Habs final, the 88 Oilers cup, the 87 Oilers cup, the 86 Habs-Flames final, the 85 Oilers cup, the 84 Oilers cup, the 83 Oilers final and the 82 Nucks final

it didn't seem special...who knew that the run by the 94 Nucks wouldn't be duplicated for 10 years?

The Flames won this award thanks mostly to timing...someone wins the grey cup every year, the Men had won the Worlds recently as well as the Olympics in 2002 and the summer Olympics did not provide Canada with any stirring team stories really...so the Flames won for capturing the imagination of at least parts of the country (I'm not expecting them to have won over the diehard fans of other canadian teams that post here obviously)....and were in a situation no Canadian team had been in in 10 years...had any other Canadian NHL team done that this year, they would have won also

Old
12-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Damicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
Northlands was like when I lived in EDM circa 92-94?
Yes. I agree that Edmonton has it's dark times. But the way that the community has rallied around this team, even when were losing makes me proud to be an Edmontonian first, Oilers fan second.

Quote:
whether you like the Flames or not, I think you can agree the city came alive in a refreshing way this spring (and yes I'm sure it would have been similar in Edmonton, I'm not claiming that Calgary fans are unique...just that the situation presented itself)
Is there any doubt? I hate the guys who were going nuts when we beat Dallas and then the Avs a couple of years back. I hate guys who bought $1000 tix per game, but refuse to buy season tix. I'm not saying the Flames fans are bad. I'm just saying there's alot of boat jumpers that make the real fans look bad. I do know a TON of Calgarians that think Jarome Iginla is a Centre (must be that "C" on his jersey) and they get PISSED (and will debate you) when you say that he's Edmonton and not from St.Albert. And yes. Despite that he plays for our hated rivals... I was cheering my ass off for Jarome at the WCH2004.

Quote:
ps. Im curious what the manager at the Flames store said about the new red jersey. did they sell well prior to the playoffs?? I believe the answer would be yes, but I'm willing to be corrected on that
She and another employee (this was during their Vancouver run, when things weren't that nuts yet. When things did go nuts, there was security and a line up in the mall EVERYDAY...) told me that sales were so horrible at the beginning of the year that in a month they'd sell 3 - 10. That's the slow times. But during Vancouver they were selling about 50 a day. Which is nuts. After Vancouver... they couldn't keep Jerseys on the shelf. All the Jerseys were the $99 - $125 replicas.

Old
12-31-2004, 05:18 PM
se7en*

Damicles, I think the most important thing to realize is that its all over.

I would agree with looob that their run came at a good time, but it came at a bad time too - right before the lockout. If I wasn't an Oil fan I'd probably feel a bit sorry for you folks.

Old
12-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Go Flames Go*

Quote:
I think had Calgary played another team other than Tampa Bay, it would have boring to watch, ala San Jose. I'm not a huge fan of the clutch and grab style, but some people say it's "Canadian Hockey". And I hate it when people say that. The way our boys play during the World Jrs and big events like Salt Lake. That's Canadian hockey. I thought the run and gun style of Tampa was really exciting to watch and as a big hockey fan, I'm glad they won. Yeah, I'm disapointed that their fans weren't really into it, but they've got the Devil Rays and Bucs, but everyone's gotta start somewhere. And yes, I'm saying that Calgary fans are better than Tampa fans, but to name them Fans Of The Year, just adds to the craziness. I have friends who have been season tix holders for 3 years before all this happened... and they're wondering where was the love and support when this team REALLY needed it. My vote for Canadian Fans of the year? The guys who travel across the country and bundle up for the Grey Cup every year.
Clutch and grab my dick boy, we played up and down hockey. You people are just jealous and caught up in the hype that we are trapping and clutching and grabbing team, which team dosent clutch and grab. It was great seeing Tampa play run and gun LMAO, they played defensive hockey just as much as the Flames did stop with this ********. Calgary vs San Jose might of been boring, but thats because we didnt have a decent challenger for us. Calgary vs Vancouver as good as hockey gets man, this was the best series in hockey in the longest time ever. If im not mistaken people were estatic that the Flames vs Lightning was the Finals because both teams liked to create offence.

Old
01-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Damicles

Quote:
Clutch and grab my dick boy, we played up and down hockey. You people are just jealous and caught up in the hype that we are trapping and clutching and grabbing team, which team dosent clutch
Calgary did trap and they did clutch and grab. Don Cherry said so as well, but he also said he didn't mind it because it was gritty hockey. Look. I'm not gonna start this debate with you 'cause no matter what you say, you won't change my mind. If you like what you saw, what does it matter what I say? Whatever I say won't change your mind. You're obviously pro-calgary and I'm obviously not too thrilled with their new direction they're going in. And for the record I used to cheer for all Canadian teams

What I'm trying to say is some Flames fans started to get unclassy and loud and then Calgarians got caught up in the hype that they were Canada's Team and the centre of the universe. When everyone started jumping on. I don't think that fans jumping on the bandwagon makes them fans of the year. If you want crazy Canadian fans... I know a couple groups of fans that would make Flames fans non-exsistant. Bottom line: Calgary fans loved their team, others were just on the ride. If there are 30,000+ fans (I heard 80,000 at a victory rally at one time???), I hope they sell out all the games and support the Flames. Alberta is a great place for hockey and neither Calgary or Edmonton should lose their teams 'cause I love this rivalry. I just don't think that alot of those 30,000+ fans were genuine though. So that's why I don't think they deserved fans of the year. And I would say the exact samething if we had the "Jasper Mile" or the "Whyte Mile"

I admire the Flames persistance and hardwork. They did deserve EVERY game that they won. I just don't like how they did it. Now is that such a bad thing to say?

Old
01-01-2005, 04:49 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Clutch and grab my dick boy, we played up and down hockey. You people are just jealous and caught up in the hype that we are trapping and clutching and grabbing team, which team dosent clutch and grab. It was great seeing Tampa play run and gun LMAO, they played defensive hockey just as much as the Flames did stop with this ********. Calgary vs San Jose might of been boring, but thats because we didnt have a decent challenger for us. Calgary vs Vancouver as good as hockey gets man, this was the best series in hockey in the longest time ever. If im not mistaken people were estatic that the Flames vs Lightning was the Finals because both teams liked to create offence.
The Flames are more of a defensive team, but are by no means boring to watch, that first round series with us was classic, every game was great.

Old
01-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Go Flames Go*

Quote:
Calgary did trap and they did clutch and grab. Don Cherry said so as well, but he also said he didn't mind it because it was gritty hockey. Look. I'm not gonna start this debate with you 'cause no matter what you say, you won't change my mind. If you like what you saw, what does it matter what I say? Whatever I say won't change your mind. You're obviously pro-calgary and I'm obviously not too thrilled with their new direction they're going in. And for the record I used to cheer for all Canadian teams

What I'm trying to say is some Flames fans started to get unclassy and loud and then Calgarians got caught up in the hype that they were Canada's Team and the centre of the universe. When everyone started jumping on. I don't think that fans jumping on the bandwagon makes them fans of the year. If you want crazy Canadian fans... I know a couple groups of fans that would make Flames fans non-exsistant. Bottom line: Calgary fans loved their team, others were just on the ride. If there are 30,000+ fans (I heard 80,000 at a victory rally at one time???), I hope they sell out all the games and support the Flames. Alberta is a great place for hockey and neither Calgary or Edmonton should lose their teams 'cause I love this rivalry. I just don't think that alot of those 30,000+ fans were genuine though. So that's why I don't think they deserved fans of the year. And I would say the exact samething if we had the "Jasper Mile" or the "Whyte Mile"

I admire the Flames persistance and hardwork. They did deserve EVERY game that they won. I just don't like how they did it. Now is that such a bad thing to say?
Again we are not a trap clutch and grab team. We are a speed team, that forechecks hard, and uses physical play to create turnovers. We dump and chase, but we do not trap.

Old
01-02-2005, 12:58 AM
nashnaidoo

Flames fans are the only folks I've ever heard of who have given their team a standing ovation even though they missed the playoffs for the sixth year in a row. That happened a couple years ago after the Flames won their last home game against the Coyotes. Was a great moment after a thoroughly mediocre game played by two teams with nothing to play for.

So while a million people jumped on the Flames bandwagon this playoffs, I would say Flames fans can stand tall next to any other fans out there.

Closed Thread