HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Jackman signs 3 year deal ($9.5 mil + NTC)

Old
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Also from that interview it sounds like the Blues are comfortable deals with Perron and Oshie will get done (JR's interview with Armstrong hints at a 4 year deal or so for Oshie and a shorter one for Perron) but that they haven't had a lot of specific conversation and it might take until July or even August to finalize things. Reiterated comfort that the Blues would match any offer sheet (which are extremely rare in the NHL to begin with, on top of being a CBA year where they're less likely as they're very pro-player).

It's very clear from that interview they're happy if a #3C falls in their lap (he confirmed Arnott is heading to UFA) but they're basically totally focused on the big defensive piece. There's little doubt they're going to make a run. Whether the big targets are interested is another matter, but the Blues have a strong pitch. In JR's piece Armstrong all but said if they can sign Suter then ownership is ok with it.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Also from that interview it sounds like the Blues are comfortable deals with Perron and Oshie will get done (JR's interview with Armstrong hints at a 4 year deal or so for Oshie and a shorter one for Perron) but that they haven't had a lot of specific conversation and it might take until July or even August to finalize things. Reiterated comfort that the Blues would match any offer sheet (which are extremely rare in the NHL to begin with, on top of being a CBA year where they're less likely as they're very pro-player).

It's very clear from that interview they're happy if a #3C falls in their lap (he confirmed Arnott is heading to UFA) but they're basically totally focused on the big defensive piece. There's little doubt they're going to make a run. Whether the big targets are interested is another matter, but the Blues have a strong pitch. In JR's piece Armstrong all but said if they can sign Suter then ownership is ok with it.

That's one interpretation. Also could be read as meaning ownership will pay for a less than major player to fill a need.

Armstrong clearly said he understands the Blues are a mid-market team. That's not what it will take to outbid Detroit and others for Suter.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Armstrong:

"But it's nice to know that we have an ownership, too, that if a premier player pops open, we have someone where you can say, 'Do you want to make an added investment in a player? Here's the competitive reasons why it could be a benefit'...then you have to weigh the economics into it."

Last summer, Armstrong sent the clear signal that the Blues shouldn't expect any significant signings. He's not sending that message this year. He's talking over and over about another defenseman and how it's the big need. He's saying we can fill the #3C in a variety of ways including what we already have by guys shifting around, but the big target is defense. Then he's talking "premier player." He's not promising any particular result, but he's definitely hinting the Blues will be aggressive. Back on May 10 in the KMOX interview he said the next big time for fans to pay attention was July 1. He didn't say that last year. He gave a quote the other day: we're going to be active and I'll leave it at that. He didn't say that last year either.

Look, the guy's not stupid. He knows he's setting expectations with these comments. It doesn't mean anyone should EXPECT Suter or Garrison to sign, as none of us really have ever expected that. But it's fair to say he's setting expectations as being competitive bidders. It's not rocket science, there are really only two guys it could be. God knows we've obsessed over the options long enough.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
BlueDream

Armstrong really is great and I agree that it sounds like he's going to make a run at Suter and Garrison. He knows a top-4 d-man is a need and he's definitely acting pretty positive about what ownership has told him he could do.

I think we have a legit shot at Ryan Suter. I have been reading up on him and honestly, I don't think he's going to take the highest offer. Of course the deal still has to be good (6 mil+ per) but the guy values the Midwest, and family before anything else. I think we can offer even a little less than teams like Detroit and Philadelphia and still have a chance at landing him. We ARE one of the biggest cup contenders in the West and we have the best option available that he would be playing with in Pietrangelo. Go back and read what's been said about the type of place he's looking for...St. Louis fits the bill of literally every single thing. There's no doubt he would love it here, get a solid contract, and have a great chance to win. I'm being serious when I say there aren't many better options than the Blues - Detroit included. I think we are an intriguing place for him and I trust Armstrong to make the right move no matter what it is.

I think Armstrong is bringing in at least one very solid player in free agency, and our team will be in good shape. These reasonable contracts for Stewart and Jackman are a good start, and once we get to free agency and then lock-up Oshie and Perron, I'll be dancing a jig.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Plan the parade, baby!

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:35 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
[/B]

That's one interpretation. Also could be read as meaning ownership will pay for a less than major player to fill a need.

Armstrong clearly said he understands the Blues are a mid-market team. That's not what it will take to outbid Detroit and others for Suter.
The Blues are currently sitting at 43 mil with 19 players under contract and Perron and Oshie as the only remaining RFA's. We're going to have to spend at least another 6 mil just to hit the Cap floor, and we'd have almost 13 mil before hitting last years budget of 54 mil. We can get into the Suter bidding without even reaching the mid-way point for the Cap.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
The Blues are currently sitting at 43 mil with 19 players under contract and Perron and Oshie as the only remaining RFA's. We're going to have to spend at least another 6 mil just to hit the Cap floor, and we'd have almost 13 mil before hitting last years budget of 54 mil. We can get into the Suter bidding without even reaching the mid-way point for the Cap.
In actual $, we are at just under $39m (plus bonuses) with 19 players signed for next season and Perron and Oshie to come on top of that. There is no doubt we can afford Suter next season.

After next season can't just be ignored though. At this point next year we lose Crombeen and McDonald, factor in the raises several players get (Backes, Polak etc) and that saves us $2.8m on this years salary. The cost of resigning guys like Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Russell and Stewart could see a rise in their salaries of around $11m. That means that we still have 2 spots to fill and seen the salary we pay rise by $8m+.

We could certainly work a deal for Suter, but it wouldn't be straightforward. We would have a year to work out our plans if he did sign though.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
It really is. He would have gotten 4 or more on the open market.
It is if Jackman is a 3rd pairing Defenseman, not a Top 4 IMO.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
It is if Jackman is a 3rd pairing Defenseman, not a Top 4 IMO.
IMO Jackman is a consistent #4. Every single game i watch i cringe when he gets the puck b/c you can tell when he is going to make a mistake, but he really is not near as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Alklha

10_AMac: great to see Jax resign! A real warrior that leaves it out on the ice every night. great to have him back!
#alltorso #looksyoungerthanshatty

shattdeuces: @10_AMac so unnecessary

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Armstrong really is great and I agree that it sounds like he's going to make a run at Suter and Garrison. He knows a top-4 d-man is a need and he's definitely acting pretty positive about what ownership has told him he could do.

I think we have a legit shot at Ryan Suter. I have been reading up on him and honestly, I don't think he's going to take the highest offer. Of course the deal still has to be good (6 mil+ per) but the guy values the Midwest, and family before anything else. I think we can offer even a little less than teams like Detroit and Philadelphia and still have a chance at landing him. We ARE one of the biggest cup contenders in the West and we have the best option available that he would be playing with in Pietrangelo. Go back and read what's been said about the type of place he's looking for...St. Louis fits the bill of literally every single thing. There's no doubt he would love it here, get a solid contract, and have a great chance to win. I'm being serious when I say there aren't many better options than the Blues - Detroit included. I think we are an intriguing place for him and I trust Armstrong to make the right move no matter what it is.

I think Armstrong is bringing in at least one very solid player in free agency, and our team will be in good shape. These reasonable contracts for Stewart and Jackman are a good start, and once we get to free agency and then lock-up Oshie and Perron, I'll be dancing a jig.
I'm trying to not get my hopes up here, but I get that feeling too. Suter can have everything he's reported to be looking for right here, and with him, I daresay we'd become favorites in the west.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:43 AM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Thrilled!

JAX!

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I wouldn't plan on 70.3M being the new cap number just yet. I agree that we likely have the room to sign Suter and certainly Garrison so we're not disagreeing there. Just don't see any way 54.3M can be the cap floor with so many small market teams struggling. It's being grossly inflated by a few teams at the top so they have to come up with an adjustment in the new CBA. Not trying to get into a big CBA talk, just saying I'd hold off assuming the floor is going to be 54.3M.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I wouldn't plan on 70.3M being the new cap number just yet. I agree that we likely have the room to sign Suter and certainly Garrison so we're not disagreeing there. Just don't see any way 54.3M can be the cap floor with so many small market teams struggling. It's being grossly inflated by a few teams at the top so they have to come up with an adjustment in the new CBA. Not trying to get into a big CBA talk, just saying I'd hold off assuming the floor is going to be 54.3M.
I think this is the biggest issue to be resolved in the upcoming CBA negotiations.

As to the Jax signing, I think the interviews with Army where he mentions he would like to have 8-9 guys who can at least play spot duty in the NHL is telling. I love that he is planning for the injuries that are a part of an NHL season.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I think this is the biggest issue to be resolved in the upcoming CBA negotiations.

As to the Jax signing, I think the interviews with Army where he mentions he would like to have 8-9 guys who can at least play spot duty in the NHL is telling. I love that he is planning for the injuries that are a part of an NHL season.
Certainly if historical data holds true, the Blues season for sure.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Blues should go hard for Suter to be that LD d-men. Suter-Pie sweet pairing, it wont happen, but ohh the dream.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:12 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I would still be very surprised if the Blues did anything more than kick the tires on the big two defenseman we covet, especially with Pietrangelo's contract looming.

Armstrong is always aggressive but within reason of a mid-market budget.

I think the "premier player" retort can be interpreted many different ways. I take it to mean that right now the new ownership isn't willing to make a major investment in a UFA until a long term economic plan is crafted...BUT if things start to come together mid-season, and the building is full, and revenue is flowing, and the team is perhaps a piece away at the deadline, or the early season dynamics of the roster have changed (i.e. they start the season with Cole and Jackman in the top 4 and it's clearly not working but the team is still a contender with one more piece) then Armstrong would have full blessing to make a move to bring in a big wheel....and that impact player wouldn't even have to be a rental but perhaps a player with a big contract with many years remaining like the Carter mid-season trade.

I just personally do not see new ownership making a huge UFA splash this early in their reign after everything Stillman said at his press conference.

And that Army quote about being active is getting a bit blown up. It came on NHL Network in response to kind of a dumb question by David Amber about the Blues being players for Zach Parise.

It's not like Army, on a national outlet and the GM of an 109 point team, would say, "well David, we're gonna sit on our ass this offseason."

Of course, they're going to be "active." He's going to try and improve the team the way he always has...by being the most thrifty manager in the league over the last two years. In other words, "active" doesn't mean spend $25 (Garrison) - $60 million (Suter) on a free agent.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I dunno, the signals being sent this summer compared to last summer are very different. If the budget was so tight that the Blues couldn't be realistic players, Armstrong isn't stupid and he'd have foreshadowed like he did last year. They had this exact same need at the top pair on the left side last year and we knew well before July 1 not to expect anything because of the budget.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Come on guys, the entire Blues organization views them as a Cup contender NOW. To think they'll pass the chance to sign Suter (if he'll come) when they have the cap room....I think its overly pessimistic. Armstrong positioned the team for this for over a season, by NOT going for a lesser player in a suboptimal fix, when the need for a Top pairing LHD was obvious. The musical chairs between Colaiacovo and Huskins was painfully obvious enough.

I think the Blues will make a serious run at the top two guys. But Armstrong also has a record of not signing any bad contracts. But have some faith guys. He's also indicated that if the free agent signing isn't there, he'll work through trade. You don't think he's just now starting to think about what that would look like and who he'd target do you?

This is probably going to be a good off-season to be a Blues' fan.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:31 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Yeah, cautiously optimistic is the way to approach this big issue on the left side of the D. They know they are totally set up on the right side, potentially for a decade said Armstrong. He also said he's got a plan for how he wants to see the next 12, 24, 36 months shake out. They will take very strong shots at these two guys in free agency but if they can't get them we shouldn't look at it like a failure. It'll just take a bit more patience. It would be so much worse if they didn't know what the biggest need was. This isn't just any old player they're trying to get. They're trying to find the skater who'll log probably the second most minutes behind Pietrangelo of any player in the organization. It's not something you half-ass. It's a core piece. Either get the guy they want and be willing to pay $$ for it or wait til the time is right rather than panic and put some filler in there.