HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz Part III | Officially a UFA; Can't Sign Until July 1st

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Calgary, Boston and Detroit also among high-profile teams that didn't make Justin Shultz short-list...

twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/

NICE
I believe someone tweeted Philly didn't either.

Looks like we are becoming a favorable market...

Old
06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsky8371 View Post
Krueger IS going to be at the presentation.
That's good news! He must have caught the red-eye out.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
If you've read anything about Krueger these past 2 days, I feel like it was a mistake not getting him to do the presentation to Schultz.
Per Rishaug's tweet, Krueger is with them to make the pitch. Along with Hall, and Oiler brass (MacLowebellini)

Old
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
That's good news! He must have caught the red-eye out.
If you look back earlier in this thread he caught the Katz express out of City Center and arrived in YYZ late last night.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
WaitingForUser

One thing I just noticed in the presser yesterday when asked about Schultz Tambo had the same trolling grin that he has when asked about all 3 number one picks. I'm starting to think he knows something other teams don't. Don't anyone get their hopes up but if that grin is any indication I think he's a lock.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Money will indirectly be a factor. IMO it boils down to what team will give him the best chance to maximize his 2nd contract.
Definitely, but that has nothing to do with the contract he will negotiate this summer. it has more to do with what team he will be able to develop the most with. Get the most icetime/responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawken View Post
I am still wondering about performance clauses. Even if they are equal between teams (which I believe they don't have to be), we might have a better offer in terms of possibility of reaching them (PP points for example).
They don't have to be equal in achievement levels, but why wouldn't anyone of those 3 teams match the contract of any other team? They all have money to burn on this guys 3.75 Million contract (or what ever the max is this year).

His Category B performance Bonuses which max out at $2 Million are league wide performance/award bonuses and will be very hard for him to obtain. They can structure it so that if he qualifies for any of them he activated his $2Mil bonus, but its rare for a player to achieve those bonuses in their first 3 seasons. These are the only trophy/awards that teams can negotiate catagory B bonuses
Quote:
The following are the only awards or trophies for which Clubs and Players may negotiate bonuses: the Hart Memorial Trophy ("Hart"), the "Rocket" Richard Trophy ("Richard"), the Vezina Trophy ("Vezina"), the William Jennings Trophy ("Jennings"), the Norris Trophy ("Norris"), the
Conn Smythe ("Conn Smythe"), and the Frank J. Selke Trophy ("Selke").
- First or second team allstar.
- defenseman who finishes among the top ten (10) defensemen in the League in goals, assists, points, points per Game (Minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group) or ice time among defensemen

Not many players achieve these things in their first 3 seasons.

His catagory A bonuses cap out at 850,000 and can only be earned 212,500 at a time. There are minimum achievements to trigger a performance bonus such as 10 goals 25 assists 40 points, top 4 in Defense ice time on team... ect.

So you would think that all teams would set bonuses for every category at their minimum achievements for the max value, which would create the exact same contract from every team.

Old
Hemsky4PM

Money is one of Edmonton's big advantages here. Upper tax rate in Ontario is much higher, so were talking at least tens of thousands difference. Not to mention, real estate in Ontario and B.C. is much pricier than in Edmonton (even with the boom).

Financially, Edmonton is probably the best option.

However, Ottawa and Vancouver are better teams right now. The Oilers will have to sell something, one of those things might be a UFA move or trade to bolster the roster a bit. A better goaltending outlook would really help. Not sure how that gets fixed though.

Old
Alex87

Very encouraging that we're still in the conversation, but my gut says Toronto. His pal is there, they are a weaker team like us, the AHL club is based in the same city, etc. Just seems to be a better fit and the Oilers don't typically come out on top in these things, but here's hopin'.

Old
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelcomehomeSmytty View Post
One thing I just noticed in the presser yesterday when asked about Schultz Tambo had the same trolling grin that he has when asked about all 3 number one picks. I'm starting to think he knows something other teams don't. Don't anyone get their hopes up but if that grin is any indication I think he's a lock.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Ganz
Dibs

JasonGregor
"Justin Schultz's parents are #Canucks season ticket holders...That could sway his decision."

Old
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganz View Post
JasonGregor
"Justin Schultz's parents are #Canucks season ticket holders...That could sway his decision."
Not always a good thing. When I played Jr I didn't like it when my folks watched me play all the time. It's always in the back of your head.

At least they would get to see him a few times a season and in the playoffs if JS played in Edm.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
WaitingForUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
yep that's the one watch the presser again you'll see what I mean and it's not the first time I've seen it when regarding JS.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
JoeySakic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Not always a good thing. When I played Jr I didn't like it when my folks watched me play all the time. It's always in the back of your head.

At least they would get to see him a few times a season and in the playoffs if JS played in Edm.
Plus the parents may be uncomfortable watching him and hearing the fans get on him should he make a poor decision, have a bad game etc...it's a tough thing to sit and listen to as a parent.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
dhawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
His catagory A bonuses cap out at 850,000 and can only be earned 212,500 at a time. There are minimum achievements to trigger a performance bonus such as 10 goals 25 assists 40 points, top 4 in Defense ice time on team... ect.

So you would think that all teams would set bonuses for every category at their minimum achievements for the max value, which would create the exact same contract from every team.
Thank you for that explanation!

Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
JasonGregor
Honestly does this mean anything? I'm 100% sure that if they weren't and he ended up in VAN they would become season ticket holders anyway. It just goes back to his family is from the area, which has been there from day one.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:55 PM
DJ EarWax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Calgary, Boston and Detroit also among high-profile teams that didn't make Justin Shultz short-list...

twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/

NICE
Calgary is considered high profile? That's a laugh.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
My brains faster and my IPhone quicker I guess lol
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Damien Cox on Schultz

Oh man, Damien Cox is the worst. You'd think he'd learn his lesson after recently getting schooled on his lack of CBA understanding and start making an effort to play "real reporter" and do "real reporter things" like... fact check.

I guess not.

He's just terrible. I think I'm ready to anoint him the new Worst Hockey Writer In The World. He was always close, but congratulations Bruce Garrioch, Ken Campbell and Larry Brooks, you're out of the running.

I really wish someone in the industry would go publicly destroy him, Mark Cuban on Skip Bayless style.
Honest question, how did this dumb **** get into a paying job in the media? Every time that he writes something or opens his mouth it's BS. This guy is the equivalent of a cook that keeps serving up raw hamburgers but never gets fired.

Quote:
Van brings the GM and head coach.

Edmonton oh yah DK "fire up the private jet lets show this kid what were all about. Very smart move the owner goes into the meeting with them and tells the kid this could be you're future come to Edmonton and you will be a star.
DK seems like a very commanding figure and could actually give us the advantage IMO
This is where Krueger's motivational skills can be put to the test. If he is as charismatic as they say he could be a real benefit here. If Katz himself goes that IMO would also be a very good thing as he is a polarizing figure as well. Krueger, Katz (assuming that he's going), and Hall could get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Oiler brass, along with head coach and Taylor Hall will be meeting with Justin Schultz and his reps at Newport later today. #TSN
Bring him back with ya boys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Ottawa? they're a wildcard

I'm surprised
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why would he consider Ottawa when they have the best offensive defencemen in the game who is his age and also RH?
I also find that one a bit puzzling.

Quote:
JasonGregor
Do they still live in Kelowna? If so that's too far or a trek for non diehard fans IMO. That said while it'd be cool to play for the team that your mom and dad (and maybe he) followed, IMO opportunity makes the most sense in a situation like this. We'll be finding out I suppose.

06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySakic View Post
Plus the parents may be uncomfortable watching him and hearing the fans get on him should he make a poor decision, have a bad game etc...it's a tough thing to sit and listen to as a parent.
Yup, that would take the enjoyment out of being a fan in a hurry.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
SometimesY

Wow, isn't the fact that his parents are season ticket holders is a huge lean towards Vancouver.

Krueger stated just yesterday at his conference that he will play the guys with passion and confidence, vets are not going to get ice time without effort.. that's gotta help. Plus it's Krueger and the players seem to like him. Hall can pass that on.

Regardless if you think Hall is the best player on the team, he is the most passionate about the game and winning. He's also a really personable kid. (He and Yak are gonna be great!) That's one reason why Taylor is probably there today. Compared to RNH who is kinda quiet.

So Vancouver 1, Edmonton 2 today..

Old
06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Dabomb

In terms of opportunity for Schultz, I just can't see any teams matching Edmonton. Also playing with players in his same age group would be a huge plus too. Hopefully Schultz uses his head and not his heart.. which would probably lean towards the Canucks.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
JasonGregor
his parent are tampering

Old
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly does this mean anything? I'm 100% sure that if they weren't and he ended up in VAN they would become season ticket holders anyway. It just goes back to his family is from the area, which has been there from day one.
It means they'll see Schultz up close at last 3 times this year.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
JonQuixote

No matter what happens (and let's face it, the team that wins this could wind up with serious egg on their faces anyway), it's exciting and nice to see the Oilers in on a coveted player's short-list.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
his parent are tampering

Bertrand and Janice Schultz have been fined $300,000 by the NHL for tampering and will forfeit their next pick/child.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
OilerNut*

I just hope he isn't getting hyped up too much and fans won't turn on him when he screws up.

Closed Thread