HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz Part III | Officially a UFA; Can't Sign Until July 1st

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Schultz would be perfect here for so many reasons. I hope he realizes that. He could be an all-star playing on a PP with our kids.

Be smart Justin, choose us.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:45 PM
SometimesY

He'll be in Toronto on Tuesday so his buddies and Burke will have an opportunity to wine and dine him before everyone else, they have his friend Gardiner, they just opened up a spot on defense by moving Schenn.... there is smoke here.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:46 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
He'll be in Toronto on Tuesday so his buddies and Burke will have an opportunity to wine and dine him before everyone else, they have his friend Gardiner, they just opened up a spot on defense by moving Schenn.... there is smoke here.
I agree. It is just too logical at this point. My hopes of him signing here are nil.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:48 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's a ****ing forest fire - not just smoke. Schultz is as good as a Maple Leaf. I really don't think the Oilers have a chance.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
People keep saying this. Where is this spot? Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Franson are all NHL d-men, and the leafs have a couple AHL guys who will likely be pushing for spots as well. If Schultz is looking for a franchise with a spot or two on defense, we're his team.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Bryanbryoil

I highly doubt that the Schenn trade's main purpose was to open up a spot for Schultz, JVR is a big and speedy forward that will play in their top 6, IMO TO won that trade hands down. As for him being in TO, that's where his agency is and that's supposedly why he'll be going there. If he does go to TO, the kid isn't very bight IMO. His best bet would be to sign here for playing time, a better 2nd contract, etc. or in Vancouver if he wants to chase a cup right away. How many high end college FA's has Burke buried in the minors over the years? Scrivens is one of those guys.

06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
rockinghockey

Bring Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yak with you and say these are the guys you will be playing with for the next 12 yrs on one of the best PP in the league.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Auguste Escoffier

s7ark,

You don't think Burke can trade one of Franson/Gunnarson, if not both?

Schultz to the Leafs makes too much sense.

Throw out all of the combinations you want, but this is Brian Burke. When he wants something, he will do all he can to obtain it.

I hope Schultz signs with us, even if the possibility does not overly positive.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I highly doubt that the Schenn trade's main purpose was to open up a spot for Schultz, JVR is a big and speedy forward that will play in their top 6, IMO TO won that trade hands down. As for him being in TO, that's where his agency is and that's supposedly why he'll be going there. If he does go to TO, the kid isn't very bight IMO. His best bet would be to sign here for playing time, a better 2nd contract, etc. or in Vancouver if he wants to chase a cup right away. How many high end college FA's has Burke buried in the minors over the years? Scrivens is one of those guys.
Exactly Bryan, Schenn and JVR would have been swapped at the trade deadline last season if not for JVR's injury. It had nothing to do with Schultz. It is widely known that Dion and Luke did not get along and Wilson ruined Schenn in Toronto.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
I don't see it.

Phanuef, Gunnarsson, Liles, Gardiner, Franson and Komisarek. Those are a fairly good chance to be locks to play for the Leafs D this season. Add in guys like Holzer, and they are fairly saturated.

What about PP time? Liles, Phanuef and Gardiner are fairly good PP producers, would Schultz get time over that?

So what Burke gets a possible first chance at him, it really means little imo. Especially looking at the D they already have.

Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
People keep saying this. Where is this spot? Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Franson are all NHL d-men, and the leafs have a couple AHL guys who will likely be pushing for spots as well. If Schultz is looking for a franchise with a spot or two on defense, we're his team.
They have 2 RHD while IMO we only have one NHL level RHD in Petry.

Old
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Exactly. They're already too deep. I think it comes down to which is most important for him. playing with Gardiner(if he makes the team), an immediate chance at the cup, or playing a key role as a top 4 dman

Old
06-24-2012, 02:58 PM
molsonmuscle360

Only thing I am wondering about is if the tampering rumors about Toronto are true, than the Leafs basically have to back off Schultz or risk getting a pretty hefty slap on the wrist from the league...Probably lose a first round pick or 2.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:59 PM
SometimesY

We seem like a better fit for him career wise, but just the visual of what's happening in Toronto makes it seem unlikely.. Would love to have him though.

Maybe we'll end up with one of Toronto's surplus defense

Old
06-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
s7ark,

Throw out all of the combinations you want, but this is Brian Burke. When he wants something, he will do all he can to obtain it.

And you don't think that our management would scratch and claw to get Schultz? He is EXACTLY what the Dr. ordered here and would make our team even more dynamic than it already is. The Oilers are going to make a full court press to get the kid, and like I've said before if he signs in TO the kid isn't very bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Exactly Bryan, Schenn and JVR would have been swapped at the trade deadline last season if not for JVR's injury. It had nothing to do with Schultz. It is widely known that Dion and Luke did not get along and Wilson ruined Schenn in Toronto.
No doubt Schenn fell out of favor and JVR is damn fine value for him, they would've made this move regardless of if Schultz was available or had already signed elsewhere.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And you don't think that our management would scratch and claw to get Schultz? He is EXACTLY what the Dr. ordered here and would make our team even more dynamic than it already is. The Oilers are going to make a full court press to get the kid, and like I've said before if he signs in TO the kid isn't very bright.

No doubt Schenn fell out of favor and JVR is damn fine value for him, they would've made this move regardless of if Schultz was available or had already signed elsewhere.
And will be regreting it . Leaf clown show will continue.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
s7ark,

Of course he could make more moves to open up a space, my point is that moving Schenn doesn't open up a space for him. And yet that is all you hear on the Schultz topic. "TO moved Schenn, Schultz must be a lock there." I just don't follow this logic.

And why do the leafs make too much sense? What can they possibly offer that trumps what Edmonton or Vancouver could offer, except that his friend plays on the team.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:10 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

The moment Schenn got traded I pictured Schultz in a leaf uni

Old
06-24-2012, 03:14 PM
JustinCider

If he wants to get lots of playing time, lots of PP time, and a chance to put up big numbers so that he can raise his value to cash in on his second contract in 2 year time, then TO is not a good choice at all. In TO, he'd be there 4th option on the PP, behind Phaneuf, Liles, and Gardiner. I don't think he'd see any first unit PP time and therefore he'd wouldn't be playing with guys like Kessel and Lupul, instead he'd be playing with Colby Armstrong and other 2nd liners. In Edmonton, he could arguably step in and be our number option on the PP, he would at least get a chance at that, the rest would be up to him. Here, he'd be playing with Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Gagner... there is no comparison between the opportunities. If he wants to make more money on his 2nd contract, if he wants a better chance to win, if he wants to grow with a dynamic young team that's on the verge of becoming an offensive powerhouse, then Edmonton is by far his best choice.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Only thing I am wondering about is if the tampering rumors about Toronto are true, than the Leafs basically have to back off Schultz or risk getting a pretty hefty slap on the wrist from the league...Probably lose a first round pick or 2.
I think it's pretty unlikely that any tampering allegations will be proven. Unless its blatant it will be pretty hard to do. I doubt anything at all comes from this.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Wheatking

I hope he pulls a Lebron and has a special. Hopefully he takes his talents to Edmonton

Old
06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
The moment Schenn got traded I pictured Schultz in a leaf uni
Well at least when you pictured Schenn in an Oilers jersey for #1 that didn't come true, so let's hope that you go 2/2

Old
06-24-2012, 03:23 PM
c4fn8d

If I were Schultz's agent, I would be reminding him that he will always be behind Gardiner in TO. In Edmonton, he would likely be our highest scoring d next year. While it is nice getting to play with your buds and all, this decision could definitely affect his contract value.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Dabomb

So he's in toronto this week getting wined and dined? Doesn't sound too good for the Oilers.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:25 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
So he's in toronto this week getting wined and dined? Doesn't sound too good for the Oilers.
It's because his agent is there.. he's meeting with them, just speculation on the Leaf stuff.

Closed Thread