Old
06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Draft could be weakest in years

Draft could be weakest in years:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...akest-in-years

“It’s (bleeping) terrible,” said one Eastern Conference executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “This year’s draft has to be the worst draft in 12 years.”

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Wonder if Toronto fans are excited to actually use their top 10 pick?

Best part of it is the same GM who gifted us the last two gets to make it.

A weak draft really means you need to give some of the guys from this year an extra year and compare them to future picks we make next year opposed to prospects currently Bruins property. We might reach and draft a projected later round pick in the first, or end up with someone who slipped for a reason.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

the one and only thing ive learnt about whether drafts are strong or weak... is that no one has a freaking clue until 5-6 years after the draft at the earliest.

but then again perception can play a factor in trade possibilities...

drafting prospects tends to be about the dream of landing a first line difference maker when you evaluate 'strong drafts' but then most the guys wont ever become difference makers.

if we go back to past drafts theres obviously a couple that stand out that had almost no differnce makers at all in them... the 96 draft in particular was horrible

but then you have drafts that were considered super strong for awhile like 97 and it loses its luster 6-8-10 years later when guys like mara/boynton/brewer /marleau/jokkinen loose some of their luster.

i think that often it depends more on how a kid is developed and used and how he grows and matures as to whether he turns out to be a good pick moreso then whether he had the talent to impress against 16/17/18 year olds.

some of the picks we were highest on in recent years completely flamed out... and other guys we wrote off for dead like marchand suddenly turn it around and become very impressive for us.

if any drafting scout/manager actually had better then a 50% success rate making picks in the top 3 rounds then id put a ton of stock into their ability to grade a draft as strong/weak but none of them do.

even the teams that manage to draft great players in rounds 3-4-5-6 cant be given too much credit cause theyd never leave that guy exposed for so long if they were 'sure' he'd pan out.

i hope we get a guy ive heard of cause i will be able to feel better about it... but more important then that i hope we get one that will turn out to help us in the future. we simply wont know for sure if we do or not for a few years though.

we've all seen way too many kids come along and get penciled into the lineup and flame out on us to still believe theres any such thing as a 'sure thing' as far as prospects ending up to be good first rounders or not {at least outside the top 5 or so picks in a draft anyhow}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Thats why I would like to trade up to get a better player in the 1st or trade down for picks in next years draft. I wanna hold on to some of the later picks to draft a couple gems as well.

I really really want either Tom Wilson or Dalton Thrower tho.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:32 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.5%

See I don't see it. I see a pretty strong first round, maybe weak after that yeah but 2 to the end are always a crapshoot...while there may not be a big amount of high end talent after the top 8...I see a draft where 10 through 30 are all pretty close to each other. obviously you've got some closer to 10 than 30 but I mean look at guys like Tom Wilson...who it all depends on what the scouting team and GM think he will be. he could go extremely high or also go behind us. never know.

There's no way this draft is worse than 07.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
zuklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
See I don't see it. I see a pretty strong first round, maybe weak after that yeah but 2 to the end are always a crapshoot...while there may not be a big amount of high end talent after the top 8...I see a draft where 10 through 30 are all pretty close to each other. obviously you've got some closer to 10 than 30 but I mean look at guys like Tom Wilson...who it all depends on what the scouting team and GM think he will be. he could go extremely high or also go behind us. never know.

There's no way this draft is worse than 07.
agreed. though i feel hamill would have had a season maybe two in the nhl if he was on about a dozen other teams. Its seems most of the time the 1st rounders get more time to "adjust" i.e. patrik stefan. he was no where close to ready and they just played him.

zuklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Thats why I would like to trade up to get a better player in the 1st or trade down for picks in next years draft. I wanna hold on to some of the later picks to draft a couple gems as well.

I really really want either Tom Wilson or Dalton Thrower tho.
Who is to know if they will be the 2 worst players in the draft?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:03 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Draft could be weakest in years:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...akest-in-years

“It’s (bleeping) terrible,” said one Eastern Conference executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “This year’s draft has to be the worst draft in 12 years.”
That sounds like classic Burkey. I'd bet my pinky toe on that. It's more important than you'd think.

CanadianBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Number8

I wonder why NJ chose not to take their 1st round penalty for the Kovalchuk contract this year. If it's a weak draft and they are picking next to last it would seem like the time to do it. I wonder what the deal is?

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Alan Ryan

GM Chiarelli disagrees:

GM Chiarelli and his staff are excited about the talent they can choose from when they hit Pittsburgh later this week.

“It’s the deepest [Draft] that I’ve seen since I’ve been here and that’s a good sign,” said Chiarelli.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:00 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
GM Chiarelli disagrees:

GM Chiarelli and his staff are excited about the talent they can choose from when they hit Pittsburgh later this week.

“It’s the deepest [Draft] that I’ve seen since I’ve been here and that’s a good sign,” said Chiarelli.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home
Could be blowing smoke to boost the value of the pick. I'd flip it personally and try and get an extra pick or two for the 2013 draft.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:15 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I wonder why NJ chose not to take their 1st round penalty for the Kovalchuk contract this year. If it's a weak draft and they are picking next to last it would seem like the time to do it. I wonder what the deal is?
That is weird, I assumed they would when they made it to the Cup regardless of the draft class.

kman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
misterjaggers

I'd say both G.M.s are correct. A team selecting 5th looking for a can't miss #1 defenseman or franchise center will probably be disappointed. On the other hand, the 24th selection could easily prove to be the equal of the 10th selection and the draft is well-stocked with prospects that look like future NHL defensemen. And there's a decent selection of goaltenders.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 06-19-2012 at 08:59 AM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I think this draft blows for tanking teams (I wish there was draft like this when Pittsburgh sucked) but it a dream draft for the savvy GM's like those in Boston or Detroit.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:10 AM
ODAAT

Having a "weak" draft doesn`t necessarily mean it won`t produce solid NHL players, this draft is certainly void of the high end to potentially elite future NHL`ers that the 2013 draft will offer but that doesn`t mean this draft is no less important, from all accounts the top 10-15 are pretty solid bets to be good NHL`ers

Last edited by ODAAT: 06-19-2012 at 09:15 AM.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
That is weird, I assumed they would when they made it to the Cup regardless of the draft class.
Because they tried to acquire an extra pick to make up for it and couldn't. Now they will try and get that pick in 2013 and take the hit next year.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Because they tried to acquire an extra pick to make up for it and couldn't. Now they will try and get that pick in 2013 and take the hit next year.
That could be a pretty costly pick too am I right Dom?? If say the Devs produce what we have seen in years past with teams in the finals struggling a bit the following year, that pick could end up being a fairly high pick?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Every year days before the draft it always because weaker for some reason and next year's is always better. I don't buy that, there are plenty of good prospects in the first 2 rounds. Really sucks we don't have our 2nd

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
That could be a pretty costly pick too am I right Dom?? If say the Devs produce what we have seen in years past with teams in the finals struggling a bit the following year, that pick could end up being a fairly high pick?
So much is up in the air with NJ right now including ownership.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Every year days before the draft it always because weaker for some reason and next year's is always better. I don't buy that, there are plenty of good prospects in the first 2 rounds. Really sucks we don't have our 2nd
There`s gems to be found in round much later than the 2nd too as we`ve all seen over the years.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Well that makes senses, I thought they kept it to go after a goalie, Subban or Dansk

Old
06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
There`s gems to be found in round much later than the 2nd too as we`ve all seen over the years.
That's for sure, just not having two picks in the top 4 rounds sucks

Old
06-19-2012, 09:30 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
That's for sure, just not having two picks in the top 4 rounds sucks
For now, Chia`s a sneeky GM, although I`m not sure of anything he`ll do, I also wouldn`t be shocked if he someone emerges with another pick somewhere, clearly it won`t be a 1st round top 10 pick or anything that will get fans here pumped but I`m a huge believer in have a pick in every round, in spite of it being a "weak" class or not isn`t a bad thing.

We`ll see what happens, I predict it`ll be a very active trade deadline Chia moreso than a UFA seeking one this summer

Old
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
So much is up in the air with NJ right now including ownership.
Absolutely, I was running out the door to hit the links yesterday and I "thought" I saw a ticker report that the NHL either "is" or "could be" soon taking them over?????

Like I said, saw this in passing and I may have missed something?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Number8

Quote:
That makes sense. I guess it's a bit of a gamble whichever way it goes. With Brodeur one year older and Parise potentially going elsewhere, I would think that 29th pick isn't very likely in 2013.

That said, I definitely get your point in that you don't want to miss having a 1st round pick altogether.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote