HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)

Old
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
so let's say we spend to 65 which seems to be much more likely. with your roster i'm going to add 2 million-ish to get to 61 since there is no way we sign those guys for your prices (this entire thread is about DW and his overpaying ways for goodness sake.). on top of that i am not convinced zeus is out. he has an ntc and dw has basically said he would never pull a watshisface again by sending him to wors. seriously whos going to take zeus anyway? come on. so let's add 2.5 to that. now we are at 63.5 million. now what? even ot the real cap we are 6.5 away and there's no one to sign on the UFA market to boot. semin? we still need to fill out our depth and backup positions, so that's another 3 million. that brings us up to 66.5. so we have 4 mil for a top 6. and our roster is not any better than last season. we are NOT an elite team, we are a barely-make-the-playoffs team.
There's really no way to know how we're going to do until the playoffs come. For the last three years, we've had some of the top teams on paper but they didn't do as well as we hoped for. It may not seem like a team that makes the playoffs but we can't predict what's gonna happen until after the draft, until all the free agency stuff. Who seriously thought Ottawa or Florida or New Jersey would make the playoffs after their fiasco years last year? Did the Rangers really look like they were going to be the first seed in the East?

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
There's really no way to know how we're going to do until the playoffs come. For the last three years, we've had some of the top teams on paper but they didn't do as well as we hoped for. It may not seem like a team that makes the playoffs but we can't predict what's gonna happen until after the draft, until all the free agency stuff. Who seriously thought Ottawa or Florida or New Jersey would make the playoffs after their fiasco years last year? Did the Rangers really look like they were going to be the first seed in the East?
you are right that it's hard to predict, but based on what we know, we can't be that hopeful. remember, new jersey had an awesome run and barely didn't make the playoffs, so clearly they were much bette rthan the first half of their season showed. we were opposite, our team did REALLY well first half and then sucked the 2nd half. sucked BAD. that's the opposite trend of nj. also ottawa is a young team that's going up with all their draft picks. we are an old team that is going down.

could we own with this roster? absolutely. but based on what we know and observed, is there a reason for us to be hopeful that the same guys that were terrible late last season will all of a sudden be cup contenders? i dont know.

like i said if we are happy in being a playoff contender, then i have no qualms. i am not though and i so badly want a cup for this team and i don't think this team can get that done.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
hockeyball

I don't understand why this is still being discussed. At most he was overpaid by $375,000 or so. This coming from someone who was pretty negative about the deal. It's not going to dramatically effect this seasons roster. Let it go. Be annoyed about a potential NTC, beyond that it's just not that big of a deal.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
so let's say we spend to 65 which seems to be much more likely. with your roster i'm going to add 2 million-ish to get to 61 since there is no way we sign those guys for your prices (this entire thread is about DW and his overpaying ways for goodness sake.). on top of that i am not convinced zeus is out. he has an ntc and dw has basically said he would never pull a watshisface again by sending him to wors. seriously whos going to take zeus anyway? come on. so let's add 2.5 to that. now we are at 63.5 million. now what? even ot the real cap we are 6.5 away and there's no one to sign on the UFA market to boot. semin? we still need to fill out our depth and backup positions, so that's another 3 million. that brings us up to 66.5. so we have 4 mil for a top 6. and our roster is not any better than last season. we are NOT an elite team, we are a barely-make-the-playoffs team.
That's the most negative, and unnecessarily so, look at the Sharks I've seen in a while. The numbers he came up with were more than fair. Winnik at 2.5 and Moore at 1.5 are more than adequate, and out of the other signings only Desjardins may be too low by a matter of a couple hundred thousand. Let's say we keep Handzus for 2.5. That's now an extra forward to add, so we have about 4 million to add a depth defensemen and a 2nd line winger. That could easily be done with the returns we get from Clowe/Murray or by trading Niemi and going with Greiss/Stalock.

Even with your self-imposed 65 million cap and complete negativity towards everything Sharks we could still easily field a competitive roster, and that's with keeping us 5 million under the cap and not buying out Handzus. Imagine what another 6-7 million could get us...

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
That's the most negative, and unnecessarily so, look at the Sharks I've seen in a while. The numbers he came up with were more than fair. Winnik at 2.5 and Moore at 1.5 are more than adequate, and out of the other signings only Desjardins may be too low by a matter of a couple hundred thousand. Let's say we keep Handzus for 2.5. That's now an extra forward to add, so we have about 4 million to add a depth defensemen and a 2nd line winger. That could easily be done with the returns we get from Clowe/Murray or by trading Niemi and going with Greiss/Stalock.

Even with your self-imposed 65 million cap and complete negativity towards everything Sharks we could still easily field a competitive roster, and that's with keeping us 5 million under the cap and not buying out Handzus. Imagine what another 6-7 million could get us...
we won't be a huge contedner on july 1st, we all know that. if DW can make this roster into significantly better than what it is now, i will def eat my words. but i do not think that will be the case. i think we will keep pretty much this roster, the same roster that got us barely into 7th and a 1-4 playoff defeat. i think so because of all the uncertaintly with the CBA and with the worst UFA crop in ufa history. and any trades he makes might be lateral moves (mcginn for tj) rather than anything that really improves our team.

if we are happy with that, then well i can't say anything about that.

edit: the reason i thnk we likely will only make lateral moves for trades is because we simply don't have any prospects to use as upgrade-bait. look at how we got the last big "upgrade" trade, which was burns. we offed not only a first, but our best prospect in coyle. it took both to upgrade from seto to burns. havlat/heater was a lateral move. some ppl like havlat more but i dont think anyone could argue our team actually significalty improved. the cap savings was nice obviously. anyway w/ no one in our prospect pool, we only have our picks to 'upgrade', and well i guess we can see what happns.

Last edited by gonegonegone*: 06-21-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Is this still an argument about how much Stuart got paid? Cause...uhh...it doesn't seem that related to it anymore. If the issue is we're stuck icing a team similar to last year, then paying Stuart 500k or whatever more than you wanted is far from the biggest issue...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
there is no rollback, it would have to be negotiated and the PA might not like that at all. you defintitely can't count on it. sure if we dump our players of picks and resign cheap options then there's no cap problem but then our team is EVEN worse.

here is the bottom line. i want a cup contending team. right now we are a barely-make-the-playoff team. we barely made it last season and went 1-4 in the first round. we are up against the cap, really. if we get rid of our talent for worse options, then our cap situation looks better, our team looks worse. sure we could dump clowe, pavs, and put fairyoh and tj as our top 6 - does anyone see the problem with that?

our roster needs to be improved but the cap situation won't allow us. that is the bottom line. all the moves you guys are talking about are making us worse not better (rolling with griess instead of neimi, dumping clowe and putting tj as our 2nd line, etc).
The same applies for the cap that applies to the rollback. You can't cherry pick one and not the other.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The same applies for the cap that applies to the rollback. You can't cherry pick one and not the other.
i don't know. there is way too much uncertainty with the cba and both sides are geared for an all out war. the pa did after all just hire mr. baseball strike himself to lead them this time. and owners already blew up an ENTIRE season last time around. my prediction is that we see a lower cap but no rollback. why would the PA agree to both? PA is going to fight hard against lower cap and the rollback, and if anything they might concede the cap but not rollback. you won't see a rollback AND no lower cap, that's for sure. owners certainly aren't going to go to the hilt for the rollback.

i think owners are getting sick of these ridiculous cap raises, and it's obvious revenues are increasing only for the big names like tml or van. most teams are losing money, and a few are getting killed just spending to the floor. i will bet money that by end of summer, we either have a lockout or a lower than 70 mil cap.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Is this still an argument about how much Stuart got paid? Cause...uhh...it doesn't seem that related to it anymore. If the issue is we're stuck icing a team similar to last year, then paying Stuart 500k or whatever more than you wanted is far from the biggest issue...
honestly at that price and with ntc, i might not even want stuart. dw was being safe, but what if he went all out and tried to land suter?

just need to sign a 3rd liner (could be winnik) and some backups. if the cap goes down, we still have a bit of flexibility. but our defense is WAY better. i mean suter boyle and burns vlassic? vs boyle stuart? that's the time of improvement i would love to see.

sure if we strike out that's bad but i'd rather go for a home run and strike out than get a base hit. we all know this team isn't that close to a cup right now.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.900m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.600m) / Dominic Moore ($1.250m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.633m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Ryan Suter ($8.000m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,696,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $4,603,333

Old
06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
honestly at that price and with ntc, i might not even want stuart. dw was being safe, but what if he went all out and tried to land suter?

just need to sign a 3rd liner (could be winnik) and some backups. if the cap goes down, we still have a bit of flexibility. but our defense is WAY better. i mean suter boyle and burns vlassic? vs boyle stuart? that's the time of improvement i would love to see.

sure if we strike out that's bad but i'd rather go for a home run and strike out than get a base hit. we all know this team isn't that close to a cup right now.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.900m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.600m) / Dominic Moore ($1.250m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.633m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Ryan Suter ($8.000m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,696,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $4,603,333
But now you're 700,000 over your cap and have Handzus and McLaren as the 4th line. This team needs more changes than just adding Suter. Needs more speed.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
But now you're 700,000 over your cap and have Handzus and McLaren as the 4th line.:Naughty: This team needs more changes than just adding Suter. Needs more speed.
this is a bad ufa crop and theres too much uncertainty. id be comfortable going into the cba at 65 mil (my cap figures were slightly higher than the other person's to take into account DW's penchance for overpayment, but what if he actually got good deals?) with that roster. i'm being realistic with zeus. if we can get rid of him then yay that's 2.5 mil off and we are fine even at 65 mil cap. but if all things go to hell we still can toss clowe and i think have an improved team simply with suter. i think suter helps that much. having a top 10 dman? you don't think that makes our team that much better?

so now we have stuart instead though who is not exactly that fast. and the ufa market is atrocious. and i'm not sure what realistic trades will make this tema much better.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Iron Chef

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN
The #sjsharks have officially agreed to terms with Brad Stuart on a three year deal.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Still waiting on Twitter/Website confirmation from Sharks

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
i don't know. there is way too much uncertainty with the cba and both sides are geared for an all out war. the pa did after all just hire mr. baseball strike himself to lead them this time. and owners already blew up an ENTIRE season last time around. my prediction is that we see a lower cap but no rollback. why would the PA agree to both? PA is going to fight hard against lower cap and the rollback, and if anything they might concede the cap but not rollback. you won't see a rollback AND no lower cap, that's for sure. owners certainly aren't going to go to the hilt for the rollback.

i think owners are getting sick of these ridiculous cap raises, and it's obvious revenues are increasing only for the big names like tml or van. most teams are losing money, and a few are getting killed just spending to the floor. i will bet money that by end of summer, we either have a lockout or a lower than 70 mil cap.
They did it last time and if there's a new formula for a cap, there is likely going to be a way to adjust for that with salaries. It's fairly standard to have a rollback with a cap reduction. I don't know of any instance where one happened without the other.

But either way, you're cherry picking one without any certainty and using it for your argument and then dumping on the other which is hypocritical. Owners certainly will go to the hilt on the rollback because it saves them money now.

The bottom line is that saying one way or the other that they're in cap or internal cap trouble while the off-season hasn't even really started is just ridiculous.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:20 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
They did it last time and if there's a new formula for a cap, there is likely going to be a way to adjust for that with salaries. It's fairly standard to have a rollback with a cap reduction. I don't know of any instance where one happened without the other.

But either way, you're cherry picking one without any certainty and using it for your argument and then dumping on the other which is hypocritical. Owners certainly will go to the hilt on the rollback because it saves them money now.

The bottom line is that saying one way or the other that they're in cap or internal cap trouble while the off-season hasn't even really started is just ridiculous.
we'll see what happens. if im wrong ill admit it. and if im right i hope to see you do the same.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
this is a bad ufa crop and theres too much uncertainty. id be comfortable going into the cba at 65 mil (my cap figures were slightly higher than the other person's to take into account DW's penchance for overpayment, but what if he actually got good deals?) with that roster. i'm being realistic with zeus. if we can get rid of him then yay that's 2.5 mil off and we are fine even at 65 mil cap. but if all things go to hell we still can toss clowe and i think have an improved team simply with suter. i think suter helps that much. having a top 10 dman? you don't think that makes our team that much better?

so now we have stuart instead though who is not exactly that fast. and the ufa market is atrocious. and i'm not sure what realistic trades will make this tema much better.
Yes, but you're still at a 19 man roster. To fill it out to even a 21 (let alone 23) man roster you're at almost 68 mil. I don't necessarily buy that 8 mil on Suter is better than 8 mil on Stuart and a 4.5 mil wing to go into the top-6. And if it's a bad UFA crop, then why complain so much about how other proposals show our team is no better. I don't look a the roster you posted and say "boom, Stanley Cup Champion, everything is fixed" any more than I say that looking at the other rosters.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:54 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Yes, but you're still at a 19 man roster. To fill it out to even a 21 (let alone 23) man roster you're at almost 68 mil. I don't necessarily buy that 8 mil on Suter is better than 8 mil on Stuart and a 4.5 mil wing to go into the top-6. And if it's a bad UFA crop, then why complain so much about how other proposals show our team is no better. I don't look a the roster you posted and say "boom, Stanley Cup Champion, everything is fixed" any more than I say that looking at the other rosters.
so fundamentally i dont think stuart is that big of an improvement on the blue line. i dont watch many det games but the stats aren't that impressive with him. i think all of us think of stuart before he got traded, but his last season in detroit was bad. so my thinking was, you go into the CBA with suter and 5 mil in cap. if things stay at 70 and we spend to cap then we can easily fill out that roster with lower-end ufa options. so our team improves by vitrue of having a top 10 dman in the league (top 5 defender).

now though we have stuart, and about 10 mil in cap space. the ufa market sucks so there's no one that will have a strong impact. even if we sign suter (a bit more unlikely now), then boyle is gone. so now its stuart/suter instead of suter/boyle. most likely though we don't, and i am not sure who we could sign to make our team better. i am wary of trades, whatever dw does might be largely lateral, or make our team worse (eg pavs+clowe for nash). so we might walk into the cba with 5 mil in cap space and only stuart. we dont really have the cap space to make a big splash, and we don't really have a good ufa market to sign a big splash, so now unless dw makes a huge trade (which really might not be good, you never know, we have zero prospects to do upgrades with), we might walk in to this season with a roughly similar team, the only improvement being stuart over murray.

edit: so the reason i like going into the cba with 5 mil is that if it does go down though, we can jettison someone like clowe to get under it. yeah we lose a top 6 fwd but i think w/ the way the league is evoloving, having someone like a suter will more than compensate. suter gives us two ridiculsouly good d-man pairs. we could literally play 50 mins a game during the playoffs with vlassic, burns, boyle, or suter on the ice. that is huge. i think suter is that mcuh better than stuart. i mean let's face the facts. we really arent going to be able to change much off our team unless we do a huge trade, and well we have lots of reason to be scared if that happens (hello nash, bye bye pavs, clowe, niemi). so getting a suter would be the single biggest improvement we could make i think.

Last edited by gonegonegone*: 06-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 03:04 PM
hockeyball

I do agree in general, the team has been going in the wrong direction. Last off-season I said if we wait until the trade deadline to fill our 3rd line hole, we might as well not bother. I said we were way too slow as a team, and top heavy. I also rallied for us to get Burns (which we did) and was happy about the Heatley/Havlat deal. It's two steps forward 3 steps back a lot with this org, they do get some things right.

I'm really hoping this off-season DW gets it, but by not firing McLellan I'm really worried that he doesn't. He's still got time to make the right moves and restore my faith a bit though, I am open to it. Stuart was a smart move, wish he'd paid him less, but role wise he's a good choice (and he wants to be here). He should push hard for Suter and Parise, hopefully get one, but I will understand if he can't.

I don't mind trades, but if we are moving a guy like Pavelski the player we get better be a perfect fit. Speedy, creative, goal scoring winger with room to grow signed to a reasonable deal.

Last edited by slocal: 06-22-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
ah actually that is interesting. that def is a plus.

on the other hand though, the same guy (jj from kansas) said he thought stuart was a 3 mil (maybe a lil more, possibly a lil less) dman, and that the cap hit is a bit high for his skillset, esp when he's 35.

all in all who knows, we'll see what happns this season. we were all happy about the white signing and that sucked big time.
I think a lot of people here forget that Stuart and other veterans are essentially a year younger than their age. Im talking about the lockout that saved a year of wear and tear on players. And defenseman that are well conditioned, seem to be playing late into their 30's. I wouldnt worry about Stuart playing until he's 35, he will be fine.

SoftDumpInTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
so fundamentally i dont think stuart is that big of an improvement on the blue line. i dont watch many det games but the stats aren't that impressive with him. i think all of us think of stuart before he got traded, but his last season in detroit was bad. so my thinking was, you go into the CBA with suter and 5 mil in cap. if things stay at 70 and we spend to cap then we can easily fill out that roster with lower-end ufa options. so our team improves by vitrue of having a top 10 dman in the league (top 5 defender).

now though we have stuart, and about 10 mil in cap space. the ufa market sucks so there's no one that will have a strong impact. even if we sign suter (a bit more unlikely now), then boyle is gone. so now its stuart/suter instead of suter/boyle. most likely though we don't, and i am not sure who we could sign to make our team better. i am wary of trades, whatever dw does might be largely lateral, or make our team worse (eg pavs+clowe for nash). so we might walk into the cba with 5 mil in cap space and only stuart. we dont really have the cap space to make a big splash, and we don't really have a good ufa market to sign a big splash, so now unless dw makes a huge trade (which really might not be good, you never know, we have zero prospects to do upgrades with), we might walk in to this season with a roughly similar team, the only improvement being stuart over murray.

edit: so the reason i like going into the cba with 5 mil is that if it does go down though, we can jettison someone like clowe to get under it. yeah we lose a top 6 fwd but i think w/ the way the league is evoloving, having someone like a suter will more than compensate. suter gives us two ridiculsouly good d-man pairs. we could literally play 50 mins a game during the playoffs with vlassic, burns, boyle, or suter on the ice. that is huge. i think suter is that mcuh better than stuart. i mean let's face the facts. we really arent going to be able to change much off our team unless we do a huge trade, and well we have lots of reason to be scared if that happens (hello nash, bye bye pavs, clowe, niemi). so getting a suter would be the single biggest improvement we could make i think.
No doubt Suter would look great playing on our blueline. The real question is would he even want to play in SJ? And if he would consider it, would you be willing to make him the highest paid player? Is he really that much better than a Chara or Weber? I dont think $6MM x 6 years would get the deal done. A $7MM x 7yr might convince him. But then youre taking a $7MM cap hit when he's 35 yrs old. He is going to get Norris trophy money but I dont think he will ever win one.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumpInTheCorner View Post
No doubt Suter would look great playing on our blueline. The real question is would he even want to play in SJ? And if he would consider it, would you be willing to make him the highest paid player? Is he really that much better than a Chara or Weber? I dont think $6MM x 6 years would get the deal done. A $7MM x 7yr might convince him. But then youre taking a $7MM cap hit when he's 35 yrs old. He is going to get Norris trophy money but I dont think he will ever win one.
That's cause the Norris trophy is a freaking joke. He should win, but he won't, because the trophy isn't awarded to the best defensemen.

I'll take the guy who should win over the overhyped forward playing defense thanks.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

This is pretty close to what will probably end up happening. Of with the exception on 3rd Line C.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.500m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.750m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.600m) / Radek Dvorak ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
BUYOUTS
Michal Handzus ($0.833m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,532,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,767,500

Old
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
That's cause the Norris trophy is a freaking joke. He should win, but he won't, because the trophy isn't awarded to the best defensemen.

I'll take the guy who should win over the overhyped forward playing defense thanks.
So youre telling me Chara and Lidstrom are a joke? People want to bash Karlsson for winning it this year, he WAS the best defenseman this year. Without him, the Sens probably dont make the playoffs. And finishing 25+ points over the next defenseman in points is just flat out ridiculous (the best defense is a better offense). Youre welcome!

Old
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
This is pretty close to what will probably end up happening. Of with the exception on 3rd Line C.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.500m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.750m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.600m) / Radek Dvorak ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
BUYOUTS
Michal Handzus ($0.833m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,532,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,767,500
Ick. I'd have a tough time getting excited about that roster. Bout as slow as last year. Also why do people always think DW won't do anything? he always does something nuts.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
So youre telling me Chara and Lidstrom are a joke? People want to bash Karlsson for winning it this year, he WAS the best defenseman this year. Without him, the Sens probably dont make the playoffs. And finishing 25+ points over the next defenseman in points is just flat out ridiculous (the best defense is a better offense). Youre welcome!
Lidstrom's last win was pure reputation. Chara I didn't have a problem with, he's excellent defensively as well. Karlsson SUCKS defensively, and a player who wins the Norris should be at least decent defensively.

Norris should be for best defensive dman, make a new trophy for offensive dman. We have a trophy for best defensive forward, it doesn't make sense not to.