HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)

Old
06-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Why do people keep calling JT slow? He's not electrically fast, but he isn't slow.

He plays a slow game I guess? If that's what we call it? But he's not a slow skater.
Thornton is average in speed/acceleration and is a guy that plays slow. That makes for a slow player. He's not a slow skater. He's average. The Sharks need speed in their top six and Thornton is not in that mold but obviously they will work around him in that regard.

The team can vastly improve their chances with or without the speed increase by finding a way to get Thornton to take more responsibility than he does when it comes to shooting the puck and scoring goals. He's the only guy that you can honestly say is being a selfish player by looking to pass the puck even if he has the best shooting opportunity.

If Thornton made it a personal goal for him to get 35 goals and get into the mentality that he needs to be a goal scorer for the team to take that next step, they would probably actually take that next step since that creates a huge new dynamic that I doubt anyone could really defend given Thornton's talent level.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
thornton isn't slow in the least. just cause he never uses his speed any more doesn't mean he is slow.

thornton could make any defender look foolish just 6-7 years ago, by bursting past him down the wing. granted since then his game has changed, but doesn't mean he is slow, or else most of the time he would not be the 1st back on the back check even though he has (as some would say here, fastest player in the league on his wing).

thornton doesn't have a fast start to his stride but once the guy gets going he is above average when it comes to top end speed.
So basically you're agreeing with me? I wouldn't say he is above average. Wingels and Galiardi are above average. Thornton isn't as fast as them, especially at his age.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
So basically you're agreeing with me? I wouldn't say he is above average. Wingels and Galiardi are above average. Thornton isn't as fast as them, especially at his age.
Yeah I just said he's slow, period, so I should explain. By that I don't mean he physically can't skate(especially back in the day), he's not as fast as he used to be but still has a decent back check. I mean you take an average speed guy and then you have him playing a style that hangs back and slows down the tempo then you have yourself what I call a "slow" player. Combine it with couture who isn't particularly "fast", or pavelski...Or clowe...and it's easy to see why this team can't play a fast tempo game. Each top six line has two or more average speed guys with one above average(havlat or marleau).

Someone else said this in another thread but basically couture-marleau-havlat would be a good line since couture makes up for his lack of pure breakout speed with some feistiness and a knack for the tough areas around the net. Havlat has the pure playmaking ability, breakout speed, and clutchness. If he can stay healthy this year to get the chemistry right. Then Marleau of course has speed, and I can see very fast 2 on 1's with him and havlat one-timing to one another.

But then that leaves clowe-thornton-pavs as the other line. You can see easily the problem once those guys are no longer anchoring down havlat and marleau. Clowe and pavs have to go, since at least thornton makes players around him better.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:04 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I don't think we need to trade Pavelski. We need to upgrade to something better then Clowe, IMO.

My wife wouldn't be happy if we trade Pavs, lol

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:47 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

overpayment for Stuart by 1 million per year. WILSON!

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote