HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)

Old
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
One funny thing no one has really mentioned is we are finally going to have one of the players traded for JT back on the team playing with JT. Man did that trade work out pretty well for us heh.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
how did wilson have all the leverage? because stuart said he would like to play in california?

stuart had actually all of the leverage, since he was an ufa, and wilson traded assets to get the chance to talk to him.

the only leverage wilson actually had was that he got to talk to him for 3 weeks before the free agency period that is all.
stuart didn't say he wanted to play in cali. he said he wanted to be with his family, who have lived and continue to live in the south bay! that is ultimate leverage! this is a player who has stated for a YEAR that he wanted to basically play for the sharks. anywhere else and he's back to long distance relationship with his own kids. there has never been any more leverage in all of sports.

and DW didn't trade anything for stuart. it was a conditional 7th only if he signed. if DW walked away, he gives up nothing. because we signed him, he gave up a 7th. so if anything, DW could have erred to the side of not signing him and keeping a draft pick. stuart had zero on DW, who had WAY more options than stuart. stuart's only option was SJ if he wanted to see his kids grow up.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
sharski

even if the King's didn't need him, I'm pretty sure Lombardi would've given Stuart $3.61 million/year, then won another cup next year with Stuart winning the Conn Smythe just to shove it in the Sharks' face

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:58 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
stuart didn't say he wanted to play in cali. he said he wanted to be with his family, who have lived and continue to live in the south bay! that is ultimate leverage! this is a player who has stated for a YEAR that he wanted to basically play for the sharks. anywhere else and he's back to long distance relationship with his own kids. there has never been any more leverage in all of sports.

and DW didn't trade anything for stuart. it was a conditional 7th only if he signed. if DW walked away, he gives up nothing. because we signed him, he gave up a 7th. so if anything, DW could have erred to the side of not signing him and keeping a draft pick. stuart had zero on DW, who had WAY more options than stuart. stuart's only option was SJ if he wanted to see his kids grow up.
So we should've lowballed Stuart in the process?

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
So we should've lowballed Stuart in the process?
what does this even mean? do you understand that there is a cap system in place? that the sharks probably have an internal cap? that every dollar you give to player X is a dollar you can't give to player Y? do you understand the concept of negotiation?

since posters here seem not to realize the financial realities of a cup caliber team, let us all just give millions and milliions to all of our players so our players are nice and happy. this type of not even bothering to get small discounts (3.25 w/ NMC would have made both sides happy, and that 400k adds up across all the other players you can extract a discount) has made us a team that even tho we have been "elite" for the past 10 years, we STILL have not ever made the finals. anyone satisfied with that will be happy with yet another watever contract.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:13 PM
SacLandshark

Y'all are nuts!

This is a perfectly fine deal. He made 3.75 on the last deal, but his value grew and he would have very, very easily gotten $4-4.25 on the open market. We needed some good D - it costs money - supply is very limited.

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Bring on Suter

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Good deal for a good d-man.

Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart is a decent top-4.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Good deal for a good d-man.

Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart is a decent top-4.
Yep, top 4 looking better for sure. Be interested to see what happens next with the rest of the roster. We have a surplus D

This is the deal i'd called out when the deal for his rights was announced. I think i had it at 3 years 11M.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
It's quite amusing how much of a difference in opinion most of you have versus the rest of the posters:

Sharks fans: Light the torches!
All other fans: Nice deal.
This.

There are so many unnecessarily over-the-top fans on this board who lack perspective. Too much sun, I presume.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
TealTownUSA

so we traded a rights to a 7th round pick and TOM to sign Stuart for 3.6per? hometown discount became a hometown buffet for Stuart.

WOW...does this mean murray's a goner?

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacLandshark View Post
Y'all are nuts!

This is a perfectly fine deal. He made 3.75 on the last deal, but his value grew and he would have very, very easily gotten $4-4.25 on the open market. We needed some good D - it costs money - supply is very limited.
I agree that if this was a normal deal where we "pryed" Stuart away from Detroit, then its a friggin steal. But this wasn't a normal deal. We literally had zero competition for him. Even if people threw more money at him, he made it clear that he was leaving Detroit because he wanted to be "closer" to his family. He would never publicly state "be with family" because then everyone assumes he wont sign with anyone but San Jose, which would be horrible for him should negotiations with DW fall through.

So in short, DW really did have an opportunity to get a better deal. I think anyone who was thinking under $3m is mad, but I think that $3-$3.25, 3 year with NMC would be very fair for both parties.

Realistically, we knew this was coming. DW is known as a "player's GM" and isn't known for aggressive negotiations

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:31 PM
TealTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post

This is the deal i'd called out when the deal for his rights was announced. I think i had it at 3 years 11M.
i went back to that thread...pretty good, you're on it!

can someone also tell me if stuart has been dwinding? i don't watch much RWings highlights. anything else besides, "he was homesick and tailed off the last half of the season?"

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

you guys are insane... im happy to have stu back...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:32 PM
PondShark

the anger over Stuarts signing is crazy. He took less than he earned last year FFS!

I can only imagine the posts if DW let Stuey walk, especially after everyone here basically put him on their 2013 roster (expectations). I am glad DW didnt bend Stuey over and **** him! He was fair.

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
People are pissed because it's going to make it more difficult to sign Nash, Parise and Suter under the cap

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not true.

He didn't have leverage. All Stuart had to do was wait for UFA sweeps.

Lombo had extensive negotiations with both Kopitar and Doughty holding out. Both Doughty and Kopitar got very close to their initial asking price. Mitchell got the extra years that he wanted, etc. Lombo hasn't been getting discounts in LA but he has had more contentious negotiations. Holland is handing out cap circumvention contracts like candy. The average number looks good, but his hands will be tied will past certain players' usefulness. I haven't seen any noteworthy discounts in Boston either.
As long as there are teams looking to reach the cap floor, this shouldn't be too big of an issue. Time will tell. The Rangers had / have to stash Reddan in the AHL in a similar situation.

ALl in all, I'm fine with this. Stuey should be a better dman than Murray and that's the main point. A slight overpay but not Wallin or Huskins level.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Le Rosbeef

Those berating the deal as we had 'no competition for him' are taking naivity to a whole new level.

The guy is, what 32? If you were told "Hey Junior, you can play for your current team for 3 more years and earn several million more and come home after that, or you can come home now... 3 years early and give up several million", what would you choose?

He could have easily re-signed in Detroit. Why on earth should he be taking a discount? There's not one of you that would give up $2/3m for staying on the road for a few more years. Being close to home is kind of redundant as a professional hockey player anyway given how much time he's away from 'home'.

We drafted him. We traded him. He owes us nothing - this home town discount thing is an overblown simplification that fans use to complain about GMs.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Southlake

Yes, Stuart made it clear he wanted to be closer to family. He also said that if he couldn't reach a deal with SJ, he would be willing to return to Detroit. I don't think he was as 100% commited to us as we think. Offering him too low of a contract would have been insulting, and probably gotten us in warm water with the PA. General consensus is that he'd get 4mil on open market, so it's not like he gave us a 50k discount. Would I have liked to see him sign for less? Yep. But I'm not going to act like we just took on Gomez's contract.

Southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Korolyuk15

this signing is RIDICULOUS! He should play for free or go back to the KHL with all the other money grabbers!

Am I doing it right?

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Good deal folks! Stop *****ing

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
param

A reason why players are signed in the UFA markets for more than they should has a lot to do with certain teams trying to reach the Salary Floor. There was absolutely no reason for a guy like Ed Jovanovski to get a 4yr/$4.125mil contract last season, but it helped Florida reach the floor. For arguments sake lets assume the reports of a $69mil cap are legitimate and that the new CBA does not affect the cap, meaning the floor will be $53mil. Now why wouldn't a team like Phoenix, Colorado, or Anaheim pay $4mil+ for Stuart, to help add a solid piece to their lineup and reach the floor?

Just because a guy says he wants to be close to his family, doesn't mean you can sign him for peanuts. Unless if anyone here is part of the Sharks' management group, I don't understand how you can say with such conviction that this is a bad deal.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
People are pissed because it's going to make it more difficult to sign Nash, Parise and Suter under the cap
Just means we will start seeing more capgeek rosters showing Winnik at just a 50K raise in cap dollars for an even 1M.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
what does this even mean? do you understand that there is a cap system in place? that the sharks probably have an internal cap? that every dollar you give to player X is a dollar you can't give to player Y? do you understand the concept of negotiation?

since posters here seem not to realize the financial realities of a cup caliber team, let us all just give millions and milliions to all of our players so our players are nice and happy. this type of not even bothering to get small discounts (3.25 w/ NMC would have made both sides happy, and that 400k adds up across all the other players you can extract a discount) has made us a team that even tho we have been "elite" for the past 10 years, we STILL have not ever made the finals. anyone satisfied with that will be happy with yet another watever contract.
Man, with your heightened financial acumen and knowledge of NHL player contract negotiation, you should totally be an NHL GM by now!

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Fine with the signing...some of you are out to lunch with realistically thinking he'd take much less than what he made last year.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote