HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Brad Stuart (3 years, $3.6 per)

Old
06-18-2012, 05:57 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Also, if you "screw" Stuart, you think he's going to be happy? Let us say that DW really did have him over a table; that the "I want to play near my family" stuff was not hyperbole and was a serious issue (and that playing in southern California, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. where he is only a short plane ride away is unacceptable) and DW signed him to a 2.5 million/contract. He is Stuart going to feel when players inferior to him are getting paid more? Won't that be reflected in his play on the ice? He's not going to play as hard for a team that took advantage of him. You pay him 3.6 million, because you hope he is a 4 million defenseman who can play like a 4 million defenseman, and took a small discount to be close to his family.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:00 PM
JayP812
The Fin is In

vCash: 401
Guys, we knew he wasn't taking any less than $3mil, an extra .6mil isn't anything to get so worked up about. DW wants to show Stuey that the organization is happy to have him, and they want to make him happy as well. It's called being a smart manager. Players are people too, he was probably feeling a bit conflicted, he wanted to be back in the Bay Area to be with his family, but wasn't very happy with the organization that took him away from his family to the other side of the continent when he had played well and done nothing wrong to warrant a trade. The generous deal (which really isn't that generous at all; he's making less than he did last year) is management's way of saying "we're sorry" and "welcome home". There are many examples of DW being a terrible negociator, but this is not one of them.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Also, if you "screw" Stuart, you think he's going to be happy? Let us say that DW really did have him over a table; that the "I want to play near my family" stuff was not hyperbole and was a serious issue (and that playing in southern California, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. where he is only a short plane ride away is unacceptable) and DW signed him to a 2.5 million/contract. He is Stuart going to feel when players inferior to him are getting paid more? Won't that be reflected in his play on the ice? He's not going to play as hard for a team that took advantage of him. You pay him 3.6 million, because you hope he is a 4 million defenseman who can play like a 4 million defenseman, and took a small discount to be close to his family.
That's an interesting angle. If Stuart's drop-off in play last season was due to off-ice distractions, does DW do everything he can to assure Stuart's peace of mind?

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
I feel so dumb at times because I really didn't think Huskins was that bad when we was with us. I mean, he always took the hit to make the play...

That being said, I think Stuart is a clear upgrade over Kent. I'm wondering how it'll all pan out after hearing DW compare Stuart's assets to Murray's.
Kent was a beast. He led us to back to back WCF appearances.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
If I had the time or energy to use the search function...

I'll be getting back to life now. Interesting discussion folks.
I know... I see a lot of flip-flopping going on.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:04 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
That's an interesting angle. If Stuart's drop-off in play last season was due to off-ice distractions, does DW do everything he can to assure Stuart's peace of mind?
I sure hope that is the case. Again though, my primary concern is if he gave Stuart a NTC, which I am just assuming he did. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I doubt it. If there is no NTC $3.6 is a good deal.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:05 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I know... I see a lot of flip-flopping going on.
Let's see it. I've been pretty consistent on all that stuff. Especially Heatley.

I think I over-reacted slightly to the Winchester thing, but thats mostly because of my utter disdain for staged fighting in hockey.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I sure hope that is the case. Again though, my primary concern is if he gave Stuart a NTC, which I am just assuming he did. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I doubt it. If there is no NTC $3.6 is a good deal.
Guessing that Stuart would want a NMC

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Guys, we knew he wasn't taking any less than $3mil, an extra .6mil isn't anything to get so worked up about. DW wants to show Stuey that the organization is happy to have him, and they want to make him happy as well. It's called being a smart manager. Players are people too, he was probably feeling a bit conflicted, he wanted to be back in the Bay Area to be with his family, but wasn't very happy with the organization that took him away from his family to the other side of the continent when he had played well and done nothing wrong to warrant a trade. The generous deal (which really isn't that generous at all; he's making less than he did last year) is management's way of saying "we're sorry" and "welcome home". There are many examples of DW being a terrible negociator, but this is not one of them.
an extra .6 here, an extra .4 there, and extra .2 there, an extra .4 there.. whoa that adds up to 1.6 million. 1.6 million is the difference between a zeus and a pavs, or the difference between min call up / andrew murray and a bottom line stud like a higgins.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Kent was a beast. He led us to back to back WCF appearances.
Hey, they're still trying to figure out all the ingredients to Coca Cola, right? Kent was our secret ingredient!

Quote:
Real question: Has DW ever surprised folks with a UFA signing that was considered a bargain?

slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Let's see it. I've been pretty consistent on all that stuff. Especially Heatley.

I think I over-reacted slightly to the Winchester thing, but thats mostly because of my utter disdain for staged fighting in hockey.
I have better things to do than dig up all your posts.
Yes, it was in response to the Winchester thing. I know you were adamantly against it at the beginning, then he started playing well for the first 60 games and you switched. Now you say it was a bad signing after he was injured / didn't play much at the end. That's your prerogative if you want to swing from side to side. I know you say it's your style from doing debate early on but it to me, it impacts your credibility.

And on the fighting thing, I don't know why you equate Winchester to a goon. He isn't. He's a 4th line tough guy who can pot a decent amount. It's not like he's Boogard (RIP), Larouque, John Scott, Ivanans, et al.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I have better things to do than dig up all your posts.
Yes, it was in response to the Winchester thing. I know you were adamantly against it at the beginning, then he started playing well for the first 60 games and you switched. Now you say it was a bad signing after he was injured / didn't play much at the end. That's your prerogative if you want to swing from side to side. I know you say it's your style from doing debate early on but it to me, it impacts your credibility.

And on the fighting thing, I don't know why you equate Winchester to a goon. He isn't. He's a 4th line tough guy who can pot a decent amount. It's not like he's Boogard (RIP), Larouque, John Scott, Ivanans, et al.
You are missunderstanding me. I didn't think Winchester offered much besides the tough guy part (and I hate players like that) but then he played a little better than I expected, and I admitted that. I didn't realize he was injured until you guys said it, that's the first I had heard that. I thought he had just been scratched.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 153
Obviously, DW's history of being a player's GM has got us so many top flight UFA's at affordable prices.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
gonegonegone*

you know thinking about it, maybe this is DW's way of apologizing for offing him to begin with.

and stuart was the reason we got mr JT the best player in sharks history so whatever, ill just consider the extra .4 mil as the .4 in savings we got from JT.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Hey, they're still trying to figure out all the ingredients to Coca Cola, right? Kent was our secret ingredient!
He was the glue that held this team together and made everyone play harder.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
5H4RK5

Damnit Wilson, why .6 that could have gone to Suter, Parise, Nash.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:14 PM
68 Z-28

That number looks fine to me. Would've liked to see 3.25, but 3.6 is still good IMO.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:19 PM
sharkbite3
it's whatever

You'd think we just re-signed Jody Shelley for the same amount reading this thread. Be cool mah babies.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
rangerssharks414

The cap hit is a little higher than I thought it would be, but it isn't awful. I thought he'd take three years for $9M.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:28 PM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

Its not bad...Testing the UFA market he probably could have gotten 4 mil. be thankful at 3.6

sharkfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Could just be my foggy memory, but as I recall it, Stuart wasn't playing all that well when he was traded. I distinctly remember him having a poor start to the year, and I remember not being surprised he was traded at all.

I could be very wrong though ...

Winky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealTownUSA View Post
i went back to that thread...pretty good, you're on it!

can someone also tell me if stuart has been dwinding? i don't watch much RWings highlights. anything else besides, "he was homesick and tailed off the last half of the season?"
Fun to call it at least once :-)

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
do0glas

3 years at 3.6 is fine.

realistically someone like anaheim wouldve paid him more, hence why we traded for his rights. (offload a contract, save 400k+ in UFA)

its a smart deal. hes going to eat minutes, and not make a lot of mistakes. he is flexible as to what side he can play on and it allows some roster shuffling to maximize vlasic, burns, and boyle. just my opinion though.

we are not getting parise, its just not gonna happen. DW is likely going to try something for nash, maybe make parise an offer, but hes probably got quite a few contingency plans lined up to reshuffle our top 6.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
I'm not mad. I kinda expected this. If he were an UFA, he's be getting at least 4M. I'd say the current deal is about 100k overpaid.

I like it.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
3 years at 3.6 is fine.

realistically someone like anaheim wouldve paid him more, hence why we traded for his rights. (offload a contract, save 400k+ in UFA)

its a smart deal. hes going to eat minutes, and not make a lot of mistakes. he is flexible as to what side he can play on and it allows some roster shuffling to maximize vlasic, burns, and boyle. just my opinion though.

we are not getting parise, its just not gonna happen. DW is likely going to try something for nash, maybe make parise an offer, but hes probably got quite a few contingency plans lined up to reshuffle our top 6.
There is nobody that is within Stuart's market that would have paid him four million. I don't get where people believe he would get that much. LA and Anaheim both have no need for him. If his market were truly open, he could get that figure but it's not.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote