HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIV

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 09:12 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Honestly IMO the way the stars have played over the last couple years means the window is closed and it doesn't even begin opening again until they get back to playing something close to their best. With it being very likely that Semin doesn't even come back it is closed tighter than at any time since Boudreau took over.

Which I guess is my point. It is closed now but every important player is still going to be around for while and in many cases likely to improve so I see the chances of the window opening up again in the fairly near term future as higher than it closing even tighter.
Its hard for me to say the window is fully closed since we just went as far as we did when we were hitting on all cylinders. But yeah, I know what you are saying.

From the top down, we are a mess.
  • It should be acknowledged that George failed to win a cup. While being an odds on favorite to do so, with the best player in the world, dominating.
  • We don't have a coach.
  • We don't have a system or style in place, no identity.
  • We don't know which system or style would best fit our Ovi led team.
  • We are rolling two young G's.
  • Our prized prospect prefers the KHL right now.
  • The prospect pool appears very thin to me

Old
06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Darren Helm gets 4 years, 8.5M. How much are we paying Schultz/Ward again?

Old
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its hard for me to say the window is fully closed since we just went as far as we did when we were hitting on all cylinders. But yeah, I know what you are saying.

From the top down, we are a mess.
  • It should be acknowledged that George failed to win a cup. While being an odds on favorite to do so, with the best player in the world, dominating.
  • We don't have a coach.
  • We don't have a system or style in place, no identity.
  • We don't know which system or style would best fit our Ovi led team.
  • We are rolling two young G's.
  • Our prized prospect prefers the KHL right now.
  • The prospect pool appears very thin to me
This is only a temporary setback, since the Caps have invested significant resources in technology that will allow them to clone Beagle..

Yeah, I dunno, I'm resigned to basically waiting for possible Cinderella playoff runs in the foreseeable future, and watching some skilled young players develop. Until the team is management better and they figure out how to get max value out of Ovi, that's the most one can hope for. Good thing about it is, Caps have some stability in Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson and hopefully Holtby, and as long as you have that, this is quite a Cinderella league..

Old
06-19-2012, 10:36 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Art - yeah we still have some good pieces.

Nick should be fine. Ovi should be able to be 80% of his former self if not more. Green - the jury is out. He may end up be a write off as we don't know if he can stay healthy for a season, let alone still skate and shoot at 100% effectiveness - actually scoring. Semin is out of the door.

So we need at minimum a forward and Dman step up big before we can expect to be a league leading team again. MJ Carlson and Orlov seem likely (or our only) candidates.

MJ and Orlov playing for their next contracts, will be hungry and should improve if used in their natural positions.

But fat cat disease is rampant in the incentive free era. Carlson is going to get paid, and I almost expect little from him during the regular season. Ward is still throwing money up in the air. I would bench him for the first 70 games unless he wants to play like he cares. Sarge got paid and then sucked. A common theme.

But Laich to his credit didn't take the year off. Hendricks and Brouwer as well. The blue collar crew - no wonder we went defensive. Maybe these are the guys that we need to carry us until the next wave of playing for a contract crew comes along.

Let's see what tricks George has up his sleeve, its his time to shine.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Art - yeah we still have some good pieces.

Nick should be fine. Ovi should be able to be 80% of his former self if not more. Green - the jury is out. He may end up be a write off as we don't know if he can stay healthy for a season, let alone still skate and shoot at 100% effectiveness - actually scoring. Semin is out of the door.

So we need at minimum a forward and Dman step up big before we can expect to be a league leading team again. MJ Carlson and Orlov seem likely (or our only) candidates.

MJ and Orlov playing for their next contracts, will be hungry and should improve if used in their natural positions.

But fat cat disease is rampant in the incentive free era. Carlson is going to get paid, and I almost expect little from him during the regular season. Ward is still throwing money up in the air. I would bench him for the first 70 games unless he wants to play like he cares. Sarge got paid and then sucked. A common theme.

But Laich to his credit didn't take the year off. Hendricks and Brouwer as well. The blue collar crew - no wonder we went defensive. Maybe these are the guys that we need to carry us until the next wave of playing for a contract crew comes along.

Let's see what tricks George has up his sleeve, its his time to shine.
He'd better shine, starting with a top-notch coach. If things don't turn around this team could easily miss the playoffs.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Yeah, I dunno, I'm resigned to basically waiting for possible Cinderella playoff runs in the foreseeable future, and watching some skilled young players develop.
So, we're back where we were throughout the 80s and 90s?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
#CapsHockey

Old
06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Well, last year was pretty awesome. I mean, we knocked off the #2 seed Bruinz and took the #1 seed Rangerz to game 7! Cinderella awesome man and way better than the #1 seeds of yesteryear.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Capitlols

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Shero confirms that he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season, declines to say if he's asked any to waive no-trade clause.

How I long for GMGM to say this...

Last edited by Capitlols: 06-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Exactly lols. He prefers tight to the vest, and here we are 15 years later. Happy Anniversary by the way, George.

But in the mid season we suck lulls, why not announce that if players don't shape up, some are getting shipped out. Since he won't make any roster trades anyways, what can it hurt? And maybe it will help wake up some players he isn't happy with. And actually help the coach out.

Or better yet, actually trade them if they don't respond.

Is he really happy and satisfied with the play of everyone but the upcoming UFA's every year? I know he needs patience, sure. But he should see the problems too. He traded Flash - whoopdee efffin doo. I believe he did that to yank Bruce's chain more than anything.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
um

haters gonna hate

Old
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

You do notice there is no Cup in between those hands, despite having close to the near consensus best player in the world. Twice. And 15 years to make it happen. About 1/5 of your expected life!

It's not hate, its reality.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
You do notice there is no Cup in between those hands, despite having close to the near consensus best player in the world. Twice. And 15 years to make it happen. About 1/5 of your expected life!

To be fair, his best chance was lost due to a BS waived off goal.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:43 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
To be fair, his best chance was lost due to a BS waived off goal.
That was a huge play maybe the biggest in George's career, should he never land a cup. While that only would have been the tying goal, I do think it being Ovi and at home, the game would have been ours. Lord knows there was enough time left for Green to get worked for a goal, and sure enough he did.

What killed that "conclusive" replay, was that it didn't show Gill had fronted Knuble and initiated contact. The camera zoomed down to his skate tip, and ignored all other factors.

Nitpicking, I hope that was a lesson learned. IIRC, our opposition coaches oh in about game 4 or so, always seem to alert the officials to be on the lookout for goalie interference. Maybe GM and BB both could have counter worked the refs and officials to be on the lookout for goalies embellishing getting run over, and our players getting bumped into G's, and it costing us game 7's.

That's twice now.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Did you read the caption on the picture?

"Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov (26) holds up the Stanley Cup after the Kings beat the New Jersey Devils 6-1 during Game 6 of the NHL hockey Stanley Cup finals, Monday, June 11, 2012, in Los Angeles."
Yes, the caption is wrong, it's pretty obvious comparing that to a picture of Voynov. If you can't tell the difference, I suggest you start using braille.

Quote:
Marchand was almost a PPG player in Providence before he was promoted to Boston (32P in 34GP that season). He was playing on lines with players like Hamill and Sobotka (who was a PPG+ guy in the AHL). He was most definitely an offensive player in Providence, not a checking guy.

You're trying to nit-pick examples apart, even though the overall trend continues to defy your point. I'd like to hear your excuses for Kesler, Pavelski, and Franzen.
You mean players that played in the minors or lesser leagues well into their 20s and didn't play in the NHL until they were ready to play?

Quote:
You won't find many bigger Knuble fans than me on this board, but even I admit he just wasn't quick enough anymore to be a viable top six option.
Brouwer got more shifts per game than Johansson and very similar overall ice time (Johansson took longer shifts since Brouwer was put in tiring/defensive assignments). And for someone who has complained so much about Johansson's defensive issues, I'm mildly surprised you're advocating pulling Brouwer from that role (thus putting Johansson in a more defensive 3rd/4th line role).
Perreault was ineffective in the ice time he was given. He wasn't scratched for no reason, he was scratched because he was neither productive nor effective in an energy role.

And I don't see why you're so insistent that Johansson was put their in a development role instead of a chemistry role.
Johansson should have been in Hershey until he proved he was ready. Perreault wasn't any less effective than Johansson this season, yet he was never given the same chances.

Quote:
And Eakin was in Hershey and Orlov was benched for us. You act as if Johansson was some 19 year old rookie who hadn't produced at all this season. Hate to break it to you, but Johansson was 3rd on the team in points. He was one of our better forwards.
That's why it wasn't a very good team. Why do you think Alzner spent significant time in Hershey when the defense had roster players like Morrisonn and TFS?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Brad. It's Voynov.

I remember watching the game and noted he looked a little different than usual when he lifted the cup. Probably just sweat or something.

But it's definitely Voynov.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

QFT....all that wasted time...

Old
06-19-2012, 01:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
This is only a temporary setback, since the Caps have invested significant resources in technology that will allow them to clone Beagle..

Yeah, I dunno, I'm resigned to basically waiting for possible Cinderella playoff runs in the foreseeable future, and watching some skilled young players develop. Until the team is management better and they figure out how to get max value out of Ovi, that's the most one can hope for. Good thing about it is, Caps have some stability in Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson and hopefully Holtby, and as long as you have that, this is quite a Cinderella league..
Exactly how I feel and I feel a little cheated by Leonsis right now. They said they wanted to build a perenial contender. They neglected to tell us we'd be just be one of 16 any given year who has a punchers chance at the Cup. We made the playoffs in grand fashion, winning the 1st SE title (with Ovy) on one of the best season saving playoff runs ever. We won the regular season and it translated to nothing in the postseason. We won 7th and it translated to nothing in the postseason.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Not that it matters but that photo isn't Voynov or Doughty, it's Martinez.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Exactly how I feel and I feel a little cheated by Leonsis right now. They said they wanted to build a perenial contender. They neglected to tell us we'd be just be one of 16 any given year who has a punchers chance at the Cup. We made the playoffs in grand fashion, winning the 1st SE title (with Ovy) on one of the best season saving playoff runs ever. We won the regular season and it translated to nothing in the postseason. We won 7th and it translated to nothing in the postseason.
Much better than being a perennial doormat like CBJ or worse, a perennial bubble team like CGY. At least we have hopes that can be dashed. As much as it sucks to be a bridesmaid every time...

And yes, I want the big prize as much as anybody.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Much better than being a perennial doormat like CBJ or worse, a perennial bubble team like CGY. At least we have hopes that can be dashed. As much as it sucks to be a bridesmaid every time...
This is my take, at least as long as the team is fun to watch/follow/invest in. Middling (wrt playoff teams) and entertaining can be tolerated, especially if there's the chance that you might hit a lucky streak and actually do something. Middling and boring is where it gets to be a chore.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:46 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Not that it matters but that photo isn't Voynov or Doughty, it's Martinez.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Jackstrom19

Any rumors on possible 2nd line right wingers the caps are looking at adding in FA or trade?..obviously only if we can't get semin inked.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Atlas

Thinking of asset management:

I would sign Semin to a 1-4 yr deal.
I would trade Green for either draft picks, a solid prospect, or in a deal for a 2C.
Then, I would be ready and willing to trade Semin if the chemistry isn't right.

It looks likely that both assets (Semin and Green) will be lost for nothing. Green to injury, diminishing skills. Semin to UFA.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Capitlols

Olli Jokinen should be their FA target. A legitimate, veteran 2nd line center.

Closed Thread