HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Jagr to test the market. Mark Recchi role with the Bruins?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
See, I would consider signing Jagr at 4 mil to be a reactive move. Proactive is creating a place for competition and developing players to contribute. Caron should be good for an NHL role and guys like Knight and Bourque should be allowed to compete for a spot as well. It also allows the team flexibility to add a big contract at the deadline when the teams needs may be different than they are now as a result of injuries and life in general.

That's more proactive than looking at a middle of the road PP and running out to overspend for a guy who was an elite goal scorer 5 years ago.
Competition is good, sure. But who of Knight, Spooner, Pouliot, or Caron are going to finish the season with 50+ points? I doubt any of them honestly. Jagr very likely will, even on a 3rd line with Peverley and Kelly. I care more about winning than developing younger talent, honestly.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Competition is good, sure. But who of Knight, Spooner, Pouliot, or Caron are going to finish the season with 50+ points? I doubt any of them honestly. Jagr very likely will, even on a 3rd line with Peverley and Kelly. I care more about winning than developing younger talent, honestly.
How do you figure he'll put up 50+ with Peverley and Kelly after putting up 54 with Giroux and Hartnell?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
McKuato

Quote:
How do you figure he'll put up 50+ with Peverley and Kelly after putting up 54 with Giroux and Hartnell?
The same way he'll provide all sorts of missing leadership

Don't let the facts get in the way

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Giroux is good for sure. Hartnell? He really is nothing all that special either. Hell Jagr is better offensively than Recchi and Rex still was around a 40-50 point guy for us.... Put him in the right position and he'll be fine. Even if not 50 points, still far more than a rookie Spooner/Knight or Caron/Pouliot, that is a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
The same way he'll provide all sorts of missing leadership

Don't let the facts get in the way
Because surely a future HoFer would know nothing about experience and leadership..... sheesh.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
McKuato

Quote:
Giroux is good for sure. Hartnell? He really is nothing all that special either. Hell Jagr is better offensively than Recchi and Rex still was around a 40-50 point guy for us.... Put him in the right position and he'll be fine. Even if not 50 points, still far more than a rookie Spooner/Knight or Caron/Pouliot, that is a given.

Because surely a future HoFer would know nothing about experience and leadership..... sheesh.
I think he was saying that Giroux and Hartnell are obviously better linemates than Kelly and Peverley would be.
Jagr knows about leadership from Lemieux, not the best teacher for leadership.
Experience in that he's played a long time, sure, knows the best restaurants/strip clubs on the road etc.
Leadership I guess would depend on your definition of leadership.
Giving up against "tough" opponents like Hall Gill is not in my definition sorry.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
bp13

Quote:

Two things:

1. Scott Hartnell is pretty much Milan Lucic. Obviously there's an age difference and Lucic is a better fighter, but their games are similar, their point production is similar and their propensity to vanish is similar. So I wouldn't agree that Hartnell is "nothing all that special" unless you feel the same way about Lucic, and Lord knows not many folks on this board do.

2. Jagr would instantly be one of our most skilled guys, and leadership is overrated IMO, but I worry about his age and stamina. He came out of the gates then really slowed down, so I'd be worried about what you could get out of him in late playoff rounds. That's a main reason why I'd pass on him.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:59 PM
BruinsPortugal

This is pretty much the same team that won a cup, they know what they have to do to win. We just signed Campbell and Kelly because of their importance in the locker room.
What we need is skill, Jagr brings that along with experience.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
JMiller

Quote:

Hartnell had more goals last year than Peverly and Kelly combined, and Giroux is a shade better than "good".

Rex was needed because the team didn't know what it took to win it all. The current team doesn't need that lesson- as a matter of fact they'd be the ones teaching Jagr if he came aboard.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
MattFromFranklin

I wouldn't mind having Jags, provided that the price is right. Although I like his effort level and talent, he strikes me as a typical greedy Russian/European player who will go to the team, regardless of how good they are, that offers the last penny.

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:27 PM
McKuato

Quote:
Hartnell had more goals last year than Peverly and Kelly combined, and Giroux is a shade better than "good".

Rex was needed because the team didn't know what it took to win it all. The current team doesn't need that lesson- as a matter of fact they'd be the ones teaching Jagr if he came aboard.
Obviously I don't like Jagr, but to be fair, he won two cups with a rediculously stacked Penguins team in the early 90's and has been captain of the Pens and Rags, but to me all I'll ever need to know about him is Gill owned him and in the playoffs everyone is playing with a Gill-like intensity. Add to that he's 40 and there's better options.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

PC said when he signed Campbell and announced the pending deal with Kelly, he said the would "continue to pursue players who check their ego at the door". That doesn't describe Jagr... never has, never will.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:50 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Agreed. Our high potential prospects, Knight and Spooner, will develop nicely as first year pros in Providence. Bringing in Jagr won't sabotage their development.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 06-19-2012 at 03:55 PM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
PC said when he signed Campbell and announced the pending deal with Kelly, he said the would "continue to pursue players who check their ego at the door". That doesn't describe Jagr... never has, never will.
Doesn't describe Tyler Seguin or Brad Marchand either..

I get what he means...but most of the skill guys have an ego.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
You're right...

But I do appreciate the effort to attempt to find players who fit in the "possible second line player" realm for the third line. These attempts should be applauded as (I believe) they deal with one of the team's three most critical issues.

Jagr as an option I like primarily because I think it would excite Krejci into a career season.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Does this sound like a guy with an ego problem?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1413/index.htm

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Does this sound like a guy with an ego problem?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1413/index.htm
That piece sounds like he wrote it.

Quote:
In his self-imposed isolation, Jagr rededicated himself to his game. On off days, he would come home from practice at 2 p.m., take a nap, wake up without setting an alarm or looking at a watch and then drive back to the rink in the evening.
LOL. How does he do it? Genuine dedication.
Quote:
Jagr also began living for something more than just himself, embracing both his political and spiritual sides.
Funny, that's why so many around here think Thomas is just about himself.

Quote:
He became a vocal supporter of the Civic Democratic Party, the leading conservative political organization in the Czech Republic, and sometimes visited with an Orthodox Christian priest who used to stop by the Avangard dressing room before games. One game in particular, in October 2008, prompted Jagr to reexamine his priorites. He was chatting on the bench with teammate Alexei Cherepanov, when, without warning, the 19-year-old right wing went into cardiac arrest at Jagr's side, dying a few hours later of an inflamed heart muscle. "It makes you think your time should be special," Jagr says.
What? Cherepanov dying is a footnote to Jagr's embrace of both his political and his spiritual sides.

Oh my Lord this thing is too much.

Quote:
When his contract with Omsk was up, Jagr decided to make one last run at a Stanley Cup. The Penguins were the apparent front-runners. But his early conversations with club management, including one with team owner Lemieux, didn't impress him. "I thought the fans wanted me," Jagr says, "but I didn't know if the Penguins wanted me. I didn't want to be on the third and fourth line playing seven, eight minutes; I wanted to make a difference."
No ego, just wants to make a difference so long as it's not on the third or fourth lines. . . oof.

Last edited by JMiller: 06-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

What? Cherepanov dying is a footnote to Jagr's embrace of both his political and his spiritual sides.

No ego, just wants to make a difference so long as it's not on the third or fourth lines. . . oof.
Bruins have two guys IMO that what to "Be the Man" to have the puck on his stick with a chance to win IMO...Horton and Seguin. You need a few more of those guys IMO....Jagr would be one. Maybe he couldn't play in this system, who knows, but he seems changed and last year was a huge step in making me a believer.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:34 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:

Interesting spin on the article.

I got completely different impressions from reading it; I'd love to have Jaromir on the team.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins have two guys IMO that what to "Be the Man" to have the puck on his stick with a chance to win IMO...Horton and Seguin. You need a few more of those guys IMO....Jagr would be one. Maybe he couldn't play in this system, who knows, but he seems changed and last year was a huge step in making me a believer.
What about this guy?

I'd say you could put any of em up there really. Straight through the lineup, who wouldn't want to be the guy?

Old
06-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Agreed. He came back to the NHL with what seemed to be a different attitude and a knowledge of what his role was to be. And he put up some decent numbers too.

He's no cinch. There are plenty of reasons to be hesitant. But if Chiarelli were to agree that it was a good idea, I'd applaud the signing.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post

I got completely different impressions from reading it; I'd love to have Jaromir on the team.
Come on "In his self-imposed isolation, Jagr rededicated himself to his game" makes him sound like Rocky training in Siberia more than a guy who ran to big tax free KHL dollars and a shortened schedule.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:26 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Come on "In his self-imposed isolation, Jagr rededicated himself to his game" makes him sound like Rocky training in Siberia more than a guy who ran to big tax free KHL dollars and a shortened schedule.
more money tax free for a shorter work year?

what an idiot!

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:39 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post

That's what I was thinking! I came out of it thinking, this guy ain't so bad! Everyone has their own opinions for sure.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
mattbnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I read/heard many reports that Jagr was in fact well respected, worked hard both on and off the ice this past season and was, in fact, a very positive role model/influence on the kids??? Still doesn`t make me want him in a Bruins uni but....not 100% true what you say is accurate with all due respect
If Jagr is that good an influence on younger players, maybe he should sign with Toronto.
He could teach Kessel the way to the gym.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
If Jagr is that good an influence on younger players, maybe he should sign with Toronto.
He could teach Kessel the way to the gym.
NOBODY can teach Kessel the way to the gym

I liked Jagr`s game last year, to be honest, I was a bit surprised myself with the reports that he was so accepting of his role with the Flyers, in spite of the pts he put up in the playoffs, it was clear he ran out of steam. No secret here but CJ uses all 4 lines and I`m not sure the same would happen in a Bruin uni but there`s also that voice (amongst the other 9) in my head that says he just wouldn`t work in Boston.

Who knows, I certainly don`t anticipate a Jagr citing in Boston anytime

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote