HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
11-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Sens1Canes2

vCash: 500
I guess I'm surprised that someone would cancel their tickets. Live hockey is the absolute best entertainment I can think of. When I go, I don't think that I'm "supporting" players or owners, I'm being entertained and that's why it's worth it to me to spend the money. Interesting.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:43 AM
CarolinaCaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I guess I'm surprised that someone would cancel their tickets. Live hockey is the absolute best entertainment I can think of. When I go, I don't think that I'm "supporting" players or owners, I'm being entertained and that's why it's worth it to me to spend the money. Interesting.
For me, three reasons.

1) I live in Charlotte, and this was 1st time a 12-game pack was offered with all SAT/SUN games. We could see every game. No guarantee we'll get that again when hockey resumes.

2) My wife goes to the games with me. She is incredibly angry at the rampant greed and says she will never support the players again. This is a lady who has attended "skate with the Canes" and owns an autographed sweater. She used to be fanatical. Now she couldn't care less.

3) We have limited discretionary income for entertainment, and we're getting a puppy in January. That money will come in handy (crate, vet exam, building a run, etc.).

CarolinaCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:26 AM
urho

It's impossible for me to reach the acceptance stage. This whole situation is just so stupid, both players and owners being incredibly childish... I understood the last lockout but this one I can't get my head around. ****ing greed and pride, this season isn't the only thing lost because of them. I guess it's the human nature.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:20 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I'll agree that it's great entertainment. I just refuse to be kicked in the cods over and over again and ask for more. The only say that the fans have in this process is our wallet. When the first regular season games were cancelled, I contacted my rep and the organization and made it clear that I would stick it out until Thanksgiving. I feel that is enough.

The league is counting on most of the fans having your point of view.

Last edited by sheriff bart: 11-24-2012 at 09:36 AM.
sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:24 AM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Possibly w/o a season, we'll never see Corvo in a 'Canes jersey again.
Or Semin in a 'Canes jersey, ever.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

If there were any other team within a reasonable drive of Raleigh, I'd have given them my money by now and cancelled my Canes tickets.

But there's not, so... meh. In the long view, I'm not giving up hockey altogether over this.

That said, it's a good thing that the Canes don't have a Campoli or Darche to completely piss me off. So far, I'm still in a mindset to cheer for these guys when they come back.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
The league is counting on most of the fans having your point of view.
And fortuntely for the league, majority of the fans, i'd venture to guess 95% have that point of view.

I've thought about cancelling my tickets, been a STH since 2001, but my reasons for not outweigh the reasons for cancelling.

For me, going to games is entertainment/social event. Really the only time I get to see my seatmates is at the games. We try and do things over the summer, but not everyone can get together, so the games are when we hang out and see each other.

Another reason is that I absolutly LOVE having hockey here. I love being able to go to the games. This team needs the fans in order to stay here. As much as the owners and players are pissing me off, its the sport that I enjoy. Players will come/go, the sport is here to stay no matter how many lockouts there are. So I will continue to do my part to ensure I get to see live hockey each year.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:59 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If there were any other team within a reasonable drive of Raleigh, I'd have given them my money by now and cancelled my Canes tickets.

But there's not, so... meh. In the long view, I'm not giving up hockey altogether over this.

That said, it's a good thing that the Canes don't have a Campoli or Darche to completely piss me off. So far, I'm still in a mindset to cheer for these guys when they come back.

Yeah it's the SPHL, but it's hockey. I'm thinking of going to a game.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:28 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

He forgot about my old beloved team.

I relived the memories and headed back to my old hometown on Saturday, and took in an Antz game for the first time in five years while I was there. The good guys won 4-1... and they're actually doing really well right now! 10-1 and on top of the SPHL.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
And fortuntely for the league, majority of the fans, i'd venture to guess 95% have that point of view.

I've thought about cancelling my tickets, been a STH since 2001, but my reasons for not outweigh the reasons for cancelling.

For me, going to games is entertainment/social event. Really the only time I get to see my seatmates is at the games. We try and do things over the summer, but not everyone can get together, so the games are when we hang out and see each other.

Another reason is that I absolutly LOVE having hockey here. I love being able to go to the games. This team needs the fans in order to stay here. As much as the owners and players are pissing me off, its the sport that I enjoy. Players will come/go, the sport is here to stay no matter how many lockouts there are. So I will continue to do my part to ensure I get to see live hockey each year.
Your reasons are good and it's why everybody has to decide for themselves. I live an hour away, so there is another element to my decision. The lockout made me rethink my commitment and I realized that I would be okay going to about 10 games a year when I consider the distance. I can pick up tickets with the various deals and go when I want to go. I would have never even thought twice about it if not for the lockout.

As for supporting the team and keeping them here, I can't do enough to undo the damage from repetitive lockouts. I was giving about half of my season tickets to family and friends before just to get others interested. I can't afford to support the team when they aren't doing anything for themselves.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
bleedgreen

This is my third lockout as a fan. Each one has gotten easier. The first was brutal, I was driving to minor league games, and I drove to mass to watch the wjc's one day. That was fun and I don't know if I'd have done it without the lockout. Got to see samsonov and mattias ohlund play at that level which was awesome. Ohlund played well over half the game I saw.

Last lockout you just saw it coming a mile away, and you knew the season was lost. All the ups and downs of it drove me mad. When the game came back I watched just as much as ever but something didn't feel the same.

This one I've been blank for. I assumed it was happening all summer so it made the moves we did less impressive for me. What's the point getting jazzed when the apocalypse is upon us? What makes this one the most frustrating is that it's over nothing in comparison to the last one. The players have fehr whipping them into a frenzy with his slanted views, and "revenge" from the last lockout in their hearts. Of course not a single one of them lost out from the cap, and because of the minimum pay added no one does poorly. No little guy to cry for. Just the obviousness of half the teams not being able to hang in a cap world of 70 million, which is where the biggest teams were last time around. The cap works but they obviously need to tweak it. The only issue I'm glad the pa is fighting for is better revenue sharing. That's needed. Otherwise I'm fine with everything the league is going for. I don't think the league should have to pay the players for time lost either. The owners will bear the wrath of angry fans when it's over, the players should bear the wages lost to this point.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:56 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...gree-mediation

This has to be a good thing, right?

Old
11-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Well, it's not a bad thing.

11-26-2012, 04:02 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

I just hope this is something that can finally get some real progress made.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post

Yeah it's the SPHL, but it's hockey. I'm thinking of going to a game.

I've given them some thought, but it's a 90-minute drive. Not something I'd do more than once as a novelty.

If they were in Raleigh, I'd be all over it. SPHL doesn't bother me at all, minor leagues are a lot of fun.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:49 PM
WalkerBabe

I've been a 'Canes (and NHL) fan for about 10 years now, and though we don't have season tickets, we take advantage of every discount we can and sometimes do 25 games a year, and were planning to up that this season. I'm so angry at the owners mainly ... and I'd like to make myself stay home from all the games when they finally come back or next year, and only watch on TV.

But I just can't do it. I was a sports fan in general before I got into hockey 10 years ago ... but never got involved like I am with hockey. I am IN LOVE with the game, love the Hurricanes ... no other sport touches the enthusiam I feel at a live hockey game. So I'll be there whenever they go on the ice at the PNC. Guess I'm addicted to the sport ...

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
At this point I'm ready to try and plan a board trip out to a Checkers game, and the more that can make it the better. Despite the optimism that was abound back earlier in November this may be the only solution to actually see some hockey any time soon.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Didn't realize that Dadonov is playing with Anton right now in Donbass...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:05 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
I just hope this is something that can finally get some real progress made.
It's not. As a (former) WC paralegal, mediations consist of the two sides sitting in separate rooms and the mediator going back and forth between them passing offers and counter-offers. I think I saw more of them reach an impasse than resolve the dispute.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Well, I give up.

Season ticket refund requested.

Got bills I can pay with that money...

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Not to minimize giving up ST but since the Canes don't sell out all the ST packages anyway.. can't the people who do give it up this year get it back next year? Probably not the same seat but..

I really doubt that the Season will happen now.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Not to minimize giving up ST but since the Canes don't sell out all the ST packages anyway.. can't the people who do give it up this year get it back next year?
Depends on where they sat. Some sections sell out, or come close to it. Of course, after this debacle it might be a different story.

There are some perks to holding onto your seats, but they aren't worth freezing a large amount of money if you could use it better in some other way.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

The SPHL might be the closet thing these days to Slap Shot. Lot of goons, fights, rowdy drunken crowds.

Maybe I have a reason to visit Fayetteville after all, lol.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:17 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I remember going to either a Fireantz or Fayetville Force game where there were about 15 fights.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:57 PM
CarolinaCaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Not to minimize giving up ST but since the Canes don't sell out all the ST packages anyway.. can't the people who do give it up this year get it back next year? Probably not the same seat but..

I really doubt that the Season will happen now.
My seats were the only ammo my ticket rep had. Balcony premier, 2nd row, on the blue line where Canes shot twice. Kept me around for an extra month, but enough is enough.

Using that money to buy a puppy... a faithful companion that I can count on. What a contrast!

ETA - my ticket rep just called to try to change my mind. He failed. I feel badly for these folks as I am sure their livelihood depends on their ability to sell tickets, but we are done.

Last edited by CarolinaCaniac: 11-27-2012 at 04:18 PM.
CarolinaCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote