HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion VI: Well that got out of hand (UPDATED contract chart in Post 1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 02:56 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
How does Shero go about trading guys that have no, or limited trade clauses? Does he tell these guys to have their cell phones on and ready to awswer them while the draft is in session? I would think that he would have to have some kind of list from each of them before the draft started. So they would have to know that they are available for trade. I'm just not sure how that works?

Old
06-20-2012, 02:59 PM
regard

With limited NTCs players are allowed to name so many teams they wont accept a trade to. I beleive they set that list as years beginning but im not sure what the exact...lifecycle?... on the list is. Either way Shero should know that list and be able to just field offers from the other teams.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
How does Shero go about trading guys that have no, or limited trade clauses? Does he tell these guys to have their cell phones on and ready to awswer them while the draft is in session? I would think that he would have to have some kind of list from each of them before the draft started. So they would have to know that they are available for trade. I'm just not sure how that works?
The players with a NTC can submit a list of 8 teams that they will not accept a trade to. Other 22 teams can try to acquire them.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Pens D Paul Martin just told me that he played the first three games against the Flyers with concussion-like symptoms.

Martin said nothing to trainers until after Game 3. At that point, he was shut down for the rest of the series.

Old
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Pens D Paul Martin just told me that he played the first three games against the Flyers with concussion-like symptoms.
Alright then.

Old
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
The players with a NTC can submit a list of 8 teams that they will not accept a trade to. Other 22 teams can try to acquire them.
Can that list change from year to year or is that list validated when the contract is signed and remain the same for the term?

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Yet it still got us to the #4 spot in the East. If you let the rookies play at the start of the season, then they are in a whole lot better shape at the end of the season, as opposed to letting them play halfway through.

The defense isn't getting any worse.
Oh..but it did from just a season before.

If they played some sense of defense and they could have been 1st.

That 4th spot is carried over more so because of the offense covering the defenses deficiencies.

Just think to why one of the top goalies struggles to get shutouts. It's not all on him.

He gets left out to dry to often.

You're asking for "rookies" to be our back stop against physical team matchups when none of them are physical to begin with.

This defensive core is set up for a serious run in a season or two as it sits right now. They didn't have any depth at the position last year and I don't consider rookies as the kind of depth they need. They needed more vet presence.

We will be labeled regular season warriors if we haven't been already.

4th/1st means nothing if you bow out in the 1st round.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Epic Neal Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Alright then.
Shero: Paul, we're actively shopping you. Tell the media you had a concussion during the Flyers series to raise your trade value.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Epic Neal Time

I don't buy it. If you're detrimental to the team while playing through a concussion, just sit. I mean really.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Can that list change from year to year or is that list validated when the contract is signed and remain the same for the term?
I'm sure it can change from year to year. I don't know what the situation is like, but my guess is that if Shero is trading a guy that has a NTC, he will have a meeting with him and ask him to supply a list of teams he will not accept a trade to.

More on Martin.

Quote:
Martin is fully recovered from the concussion and is working out every day in Minnesota.
Quote:
Martin said he hopes he isn't traded and wants to show Pittsburgh "what kind of a players I am capable of being."
Quote:
Obviously Martin's judgment can be questioned for playing with the symptoms. Can't question his commitment to the team, though.
Quote:
Martin said the concussion took place at some point in Game 1, but he isn't sure precisely when
I said it before, the Pens don't have to trade Martin. They can give him a chance to rebound, also gives Despres more time in the AHL, that can't hurt his development.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time View Post
Shero: Paul, we're actively shopping you. Tell the media you had a concussion during the Flyers series to raise your trade value.

It could go either way actually, lower or higher.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I'm sure it can change from year to year. I don't know what the situation is like, but my guess is that if Shero is trading a guy that has a NTC, he will have a meeting with him and ask him to supply a list of teams he will not accept a trade to.

More on Martin.

I said it before, the Pens don't have to trade Martin. They can give him a chance to rebound, also gives Despres more time in the AHL, that can't hurt his development.
Quote:
Martin said he hopes he isn't traded and wants to show Pittsburgh "what kind of a players I am capable of being."
If he is still seeing two of himself I am worried.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:33 PM
wej20

I wish players would stop hiding their symptoms.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
He should practice his shot then also... A LOT! I still hate that $5M guy isn't effective on 1st PP.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
mpp9

Martin was garbage well before the playoffs. I move him if the offer is there. It's been said before, but we could definitely use another gritty shutdown type.

Letang/Niskanen/Despres is quite enough on the PMD side of things.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
If he is still seeing two of himself I am worried.
could be a reference to Yohe's double chin

Old
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Absolutely not. Just giving options due to injuries. You always run 6 per night.
haha I didn't mean per night. but to have that line-up we'd need 8 D on the roster with Despres in the AHL.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
And maybe we're a lot farther from "the top team in teh NHL" then we think. I think you can safely say a top 10 team... but hey even those are bad odds when only 2 make the Finals.
Having the two best forwards and two other great forwards (Sid, Geno, Neal & Staal) along with a competent defense and goalie cover up a lot of mistakes. Yes looking on paper our D should be quite good. However so should Philly, or Boston teams - on paper.

It's a double edged sword. Is our D good because on paper they are? Or does our D suck (a la playoffs) and our great forwards cover it up? Likely it's somewhere in between... but you do have to wonder how much our forwards hid the flaws in our D.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:06 PM
deakka

If he by "game 1" means game 1 of the regular season i would understand...... If it occured in game 1 of the playoffs that would only explain his ppor play in the playoffs. As someone said. He didnt just play ppor in the philly series, the poor play started a LOT earlier.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
PenguinTommy

Speaking of Bobby Ryan :

Bob MacKenzie was on TSN radio, I was listening too, and as it was mentioned on main boards :

- Ducks not wanting to dump Ryan, but talking to other teams
- Ducks will try to bolster the depth on their team, so probably they would look for more pieces, than 1-for-1 trade, for Bobby Ryan

Asking price is :

- not increasing the payroll - maybe lessen it a bit !!!

- 2-3 assets :

- forward that might not be as good as Ryan but still a good hockey player
- good young defensman
- prospect/pick

In my opinion, we don't have those pieces..

Hypothetically, if B.Murray asks for Kennedy + Despres + Bennett + 3rd, would you do it, if he asks for 2 of our 4 best young players?

Other than that, we can't offer much.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Yankee Pens View Post
yeah, it makes sense, but here is the nagging question... why was the D so good in 2011 and so bad in 2012??? was it players under performing, or not fitting the system? If the players didn't fit the system tho, why did it work so well in 2011? what change happened from 2011 to 2012 that made the D so bad?
The team played a very structured system after Sid and Geno were out. Before that... Sid was going to town, and the D wasn't nearly as tight. This year they opened up it more and Geno and Neal went to town. This was even more evident after Sid came back the 2nd time, and it carried into the playoffs.

As for Martin hiding symptoms... I don't think it's intentional. I suffered from some form of vertigo this fall. And when I described the symptoms to my sister she said it was exactly like her concussions (she's had a couple sever ones). You just try to tough it out. And unless it's bad (some times/days were a lot worse than others), you just feel a bit off. You know something isn't quite right, but you also don't know what exactly it is. The effects can come and go at different times, different causes/stress points, and be different symptoms, different severity, etc. And you're playing in the playoffs. You just worked your ass off all year to get there. You don't want to sit out, and so you try to tough it out.

I honestly don't blame him for not saying anything to the doctors. Especially if it's a mild concussion (and you don't realize it), with no sever symptoms. I dislike it for the part it played in the Pens failure, but I don't blame him.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:25 PM
mpp9

We have no chance of landing Ryan if it isn't a deal based around Staal. Philly has much better depth they can put on the table.

I still say if Weber leaves, we could offer the best package.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
- forward that might not be as good as Ryan but still a good hockey player
- good young defensman
- prospect/pick

In my opinion, we don't have those pieces..

Hypothetically, if B.Murray asks for Kennedy + Despres + Bennett + 3rd, would you do it, if he asks for 2 of our 4 best young players?
I don't know. First thought was yes. Then I wrote my explanation and came back with probably not. I'm not opposed to moving Despres... but I don't think we need to, to have a quality team.

Probably not. It would really really hurt to move Despres. However Ryan is a great young forward, and we have defensive depth to help out up front. But do we need Ryan? Or could we get by with moving other D to bring back lesser pieces (Martin/Orpik for Malone/Stewart/Seto/etc)? I think that long term moving a lesser D and getting a lesser winger would make the team a better team going forward.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

http://www.manchesterpride.com/blog/paulmartin
Quote:

Old
06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I wish players would stop hiding their symptoms.
Agreed. I understand why he did it, the drive and the want to play through pain like so many others have, but seriously, it is beyond dangerous. And for the life of me I cannot think of anyone who played through a known concussion and did fine for their team.

Closed Thread