HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Offseason Discussion VI: Well that got out of hand (UPDATED contract chart in Post 1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
How high do you guys think Shero will be willing to go for these guys, Parise and/or Suter?

Because once July 1 hits, there's talk Parise could get 9 and Suter, at least 8. I personally think that's too much in both cases.
I'd go up to 8 on Parise to give Sid his longterm wing. I don't want to go that high on Suter.

This is pretty much why I expect we only get one of them.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
RobMT88

I personally believe that part of the reason Sid is taking this pay cut is because he wants Shero to get him a top tier winger.

Maybe Parise and Sid had something worked out all along and thats why he never wanted to Sign with NJ. It's already apparently public knowledge that he is willing to only take 9 when Shero would of written him a blank check. It sounds to me that this was a long time coming. Just sayin.

Crosby has always been playing with sub-par wingers, Parise is literally the perfect fit. I see Parise taking less money to sign with the Pens because of his chances of winning.

Crosby and Parise play together, both of there numbers skyrocket, better chance to win, perfect scenario for all parties (except the other 29 teams)

Look at it from Parise's point of view, 9-10 million for these teams, 8 million from the pens with the opportunity to play with the best player in the world and the best chance to win multiple cups.

Last edited by RobMT88: 06-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
I am still skeptical if we can land Parise. I am assuming his unwillingness to sign with the New York Rangers would spread to Pittsburgh... Maybe not to the full extent it does with the Rangers because they are their big rivals, as the Flyers are ours. But we still are division rivals... I believe his unwillingness stretches across the entire division, just that it is most great when in relation to the Rangers.

If we get ether of the two of Suter or Parise, I think we get Suter. Which I am fine with. Even thought Staal was our highest point carrier in the playoffs. Neal had an unreal 40 goal regular season, Malkin had an amazing 50 goal year. And we had other players that did career highs, all be it not legit scorers, and will in a realistic reality will not have another career high, but the drop off should no be to bad.

Loosing Staal will be a hit to this offsence, but our main problem towards the end of the season and against Philadelphia was keeping scoring chances limited on our side, and keeping pucks out of our net. Adding Suter would help greatly. Despres looked solid in nearly every game he played with us when called up. Having the two of them a full year would make our defense look a lot better. Also adding Vokoun into the mix will hopefully keep Fleury fresh, because he looked great almost the entire regular season then heavily dropped off at the end of the year. But reality is he may just not be a 65+ starter. Give Vokoun 25-30 starts and Fleury will probably look a lot better going into a post season.

Something like this is what I predict next season... I threw this together rapidly so the dollar amounts maybe slightly off.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Brad Boyes ($2.000m)
Steve Sullivan ($1.500m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($6.750m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.500m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,698,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,601,667
I will be so so disappointed if we don't sign Parise. Not only for the teams sake especially after losing a 50 point guy in Staal (BTW in just 62 games).

But to me, its always felt like Sid is getting the short end of the stick. Hes never had a decent winger in his life even though he's shown he is the best player in the world for a reason after putting up the numbers he does with Kunitz and Dupuis. All in all, I think for Sid's sake, Shero needs to go all out on Parise, even if its at 8.7 million like Crosby. Him and Parise would just tear it up and it would once again bring the fear that we gave to the opposing teams, albeit in a different way as we'd now have a insurmountable first two lines instead of the first three scoring lines.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
mpp9

Ideally you'd get Zach at 7. If Sid is taking a discount so we can sign him, then you do what it takes.

Makes me sick to say it, but Dupuis would be a great third wheel with them. He doesn't have to handle the puck at all. Just hustle up and down the ice turning pucks over.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
I will be so so disappointed if we don't sign Parise. Not only for the teams sake especially after losing a 50 point guy in Staal (BTW in just 62 games).

But to me, its always felt like Sid is getting the short end of the stick. Hes never had a decent winger in his life even though he's shown he is the best player in the world for a reason after putting up the numbers he does with Kunitz and Dupuis. All in all, I think for Sid's sake, Shero needs to go all out on Parise, even if its at 8.7 million like Crosby. Him and Parise would just tear it up and it would once again bring the fear that we gave to the opposing teams, albeit in a different way as we'd now have a insurmountable first two lines instead of the first three scoring lines.
He did have Hossa for a bit. And Kunitz definitely qualifies as a decent winger. I get your point, but I still think he would be perfectly happy with someone in between a Kunitz and a Parise. Well, at that point hopefully two guys like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Ideally you'd get Zach at 7. If Sid is taking a discount so we can sign him, then you do what it takes.

Makes me sick to say it, but Dupuis would be a great third wheel with them. He doesn't have to handle the puck at all. Just hustle up and down the ice turning pucks over.
It would be tougher to sign another wing if we are giving Parise 7 or 8 mil certainly. I would be much less upset to have Dupuis up there in that case though If we move TK or replace Martin with someone a bit cheaper like probably Allen, we could sign a 3-4 mi winger to either play with Sid or to move Kunitz back with Sid. I would just love to get Dupuis on to that third line. I think he'd fit a more defensive 3rd line role way better than TK.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 06-24-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
RobMT88

Quote:

Parise-Crosby-Dupuis would dominate this league. I can see it happening, I can see Dupuis getting 60+ assists.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom97 View Post
Parise-Crosby-Dupuis would dominate this league. I can see it happening, I can see Dupuis getting 60+ assists.
I wouldn't go that far. I think Dupuis could see 60+ goals where he never even touches the puck

Old
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom97 View Post
Lol I can see Fleury playing the puck like Brodeur to get 30 assists by dishing to either Sid or Zach.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Just a thought:

Would you pay Parise 8.7 million if Sid and Zach both came to you and said, we both sign the same contract, same term and same money?

I would.

Parise-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Kunitz

Old
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Dupree13

Quote:

If that makes you sick, how about this. Dupuis only had 10 less points than Parise last year. Barely playing with Crosby or Malkin at all.

I know that might have been a little flukey, but at the least he shouldn't be a punchline anymore.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Just a thought:

Would you pay Parise 8.7 million if Sid and Zach both came to you and said, we both sign the same contract, same term and same money?

I would.

Parise-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Kunitz

If Sid, Geno and Parise all told Shero they would sign long term for 8.7 each, I am pretty sure he would sign them right then and there.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If Sid, Geno and Parise all told Shero they would sign long term for 8.7 each, I am pretty sure he would sign them right then and there.
What about just Sid and Zach? Nothing on Geno yet?

Old
06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
that might be what you want, but its not what we need. We have more impact players than most teams in the league already. If we can get more, ya that'd be great. But we can win without them.
Yeah LA was full of guys like Whitney & Kulimen.

If we've been clearing cap space for those kind of players we are going to be looking at another first round exit.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

If we've been clearing cap space for those kind of players we are going to be looking at another first round exit.
It wasn't full of guys like Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash. It also didn't have either of the two best players in the world at center. I would love to get Parise or Suter. I really don't expect both. It is very possible we'll get neither.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

Ugh, I don't like Kulemin either, but Gagne, Penner, Brown and Williams seem a little closer to Whitney than Parise. And that's with Anze effing Kopitar instead of whatever PHX had all season before the lucked out on project Vermette.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
SirBrad

10 years and $75 million for Parise. Get it done Ray.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
mpp9

Brown, Williams, Carter, Penner.

Kunitz, Setoguchi, Neal, Kulemin.

Those are pretty comparable top 6 winger groups. If we can't land Parise, I want us bringing in two options for the top 6.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
10 years and $75 million for Parise. Get it done Ray.
Term is going to be interesting. Zach's game could fall off pretty easily in his mid-30's. But I'd take the risk.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
PensFan68

I would offer 7. Wouldn't really want to have him at more plus Sid/Geno at 9 not knowing the cap in the future.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
hadrian

Yeah, I'd rather have no Parise at all than have him for 10 years. He simply wouldn't last.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:25 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Parise has become overrated on this board. He's a very, very good player but you're not serious are you? I'd give him $7 mil on a 6-10 year deal, probably $7.5 if it meant the difference between having him or not. Anything over that I think you've gotta take the "winger for Sid" glasses off and really evaluate what our other options are before committing. The cap isn't going up and up until the end of time.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Dupree13

Sounds like most people want to get Parise for 7, maybe 7.5. Unless he's willing to take a pretty sizable discount, I don't think that gets it done.

I think these other suitors, Jersey, Minny, Detroit, are going to throw down at least 8. If it gets really out of hand, it could be 9. Term will be a factor too of course.

I definitely want Parise, but this is going to be a massive, gigantic contract. You have to be at least a little bit leery of throwing that down.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
We'll either do nothing or get everyone.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Parise has become overrated on this board. He's a very, very good player but you're not serious are you? I'd give him $7 mil on a 6-10 year deal, probably $7.5 if it meant the difference between having him or not. Anything over that I think you've gotta take the "winger for Sid" glasses off and really evaluate what our other options are before committing. The cap isn't going up and up until the end of time.
That was a scenario where Sid and Geno are taking discounts to help pay for him.

I don't think 7 mil is going to get him to be quite honest. Minnesota is going to throw the bank at him. 7.5 will be him taking a discount to play for us compared to what some teams are going to throw his way. If Shero is serious about being in on this he should be ready to throw 7.5-8 mil his way I think. Or else front load the hell out of a really long deal.

getting both him and Suter is very unrealistic.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I don't see where people are getting the idea that Sid is going to take a discount to get Parise? Why are people thinking that?

Closed Thread