HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Is Going To Beat This Team Four Times In One Series?

Old
06-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Who Is Going To Beat This Team Four Times In One Series?

Barring serious injuries, of course.

I remember we used to say this about the Lakers year after year, and it was true. No one team could be pointed to (in certain years) and you can say, "that team is going to beat the Lakers four games in this series."

The Kings' run was so dominant we have to ask that question going forward. Who can do it? Certainly not defensive-minded team such as St. Louis, Phoenix, and Nashville.

I can't see anyone doing it, with the possible exception of offensive powerhouses like Pittsburgh and Vancouver. They can steal a game or two in a tight series and Quick can always have a bad game here and there (although I didn't see one this entire postseason).

Any thoughts? And before some of you go off and say "Detroit," check yourselves...I think that team is going in the wrong direction. JMO.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:39 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

first of all, we don't even know our next year's roster. second of all, vancouver and st. louis is still ringing the bell. If we take a step back, these guys will be all over us

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:53 PM
KingsFan7824

The Kings did way too many things that won't be seen again for a long time, if ever, to ask that question. They went up 3-0 against 4 teams in a single playoff season, and did it starting every series on the road. That just doesn't happen(it doesn't happen if you start every series at home either). They went 10-0 on the road before they lost on the road. That just doesn't happen.

Enjoy this run. Nobody will see another one like it. There's just too much parity to ask who can beat the Kings because of one historic run to a Cup.

Let's get through the next regular season, whenever that may happen, and see where the Kings are at.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Kershaw

NY Rangers.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Love all of the cautious naysayers...I'm a bit more with Ron here, this team has earned the respect of the entire NHL and they should earn the proper respect of the Kings fans. Until someone can beat them badly, we can say with some degree of confidence that in any 7 game series, we should win every one. (Which is not the same thing as saying we WILL win every one. )

There are a few teams who can make things a coin flip or maybe even have a slight advantage though, not because they are as good as us but because they match up well against us for some reason. Boston is one, Colorado is another. Vancouver should be better next year as well. And we'll see with Detroit. Blues though, I think they are two to four players away but will maybe lose players so I'm not worried about them yet.

To me though, the main question is this...will we have to face any of these teams that play us well? East teams, the chance is so remote, I'm not going to worry about it. West, I think the only one we will play in the playoffs is Vancouver again. The other teams, as good as they can be, are just missing entire lines and pairings of players.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Love all of the cautious naysayers...I'm a bit more with Ron here, this team has earned the respect of the entire NHL and they should earn the proper respect of the Kings fans. Until someone can beat them badly, we can say with some degree of confidence that in any 7 game series, we should win every one. (Which is not the same thing as saying we WILL win every one. )

There are a few teams who can make things a coin flip or maybe even have a slight advantage though, not because they are as good as us but because they match up well against us for some reason. Boston is one, Colorado is another. Vancouver should be better next year as well. And we'll see with Detroit. Blues though, I think they are two to four players away but will maybe lose players so I'm not worried about them yet.

To me though, the main question is this...will we have to face any of these teams that play us well? East teams, the chance is so remote, I'm not going to worry about it. West, I think the only one we will play in the playoffs is Vancouver again. The other teams, as good as they can be, are just missing entire lines and pairings of players.

- R
Agreed, I was cautious for 44½ years, even up until I saw the 5th goal go in the other night, and that was all she wrote. I told myself, from now on, we got one, and I can die happy.

And I also told myself no more nervousness. Try to enjoy the games. And from now on, I am going to call them as I see them, cautiousness and superstitions be damned. And the bottom line is, after the fog of the last few days have lifted, is that this team is very special, and we have a very special goalie.

You guys are right about parity, but I truly believe we are ½- to 1-goal better than anyone else right now. Can't wait to see what kind of FULL regular season we can have with this roster and with Sutter at the helm.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:14 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

That assumes the Kings will be able to find that same "groove" that they were on this year during the playoffs. It's not a given that the team will play up to their potential every time, and could be in a serious funk once the playoff starts.

Like the Bruins this year, they had an unbelievable period mid-season when they seemed unbeatable, then faded down the stretch and got knocked out of the first round. They peaked early, whilst the Kings peaked at just the right time.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Agreed, I was cautious for 44½ years, even up until I saw the 5th goal go in the other night, and that was all she wrote. I told myself, from now on, we got one, and I can die happy.

And I also told myself no more nervousness. Try to enjoy the games. And from now on, I am going to call them as I see them, cautiousness and superstitions be damned. And the bottom line is, after the fog of the last few days have lifted, is that this team is very special, and we have a very special goalie.

You guys are right about parity, but I truly believe we are ½- to 1-goal better than anyone else right now. Can't wait to see what kind of FULL regular season we can have with this roster and with Sutter at the helm.
Well said.

Me too except I've only been there 22+ years, just half the time.
I realized after we put a good and very experienced team, the team that beat us last year, down a two game hole in Vancouver, our team was gonna do it somehow.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I'm calling it as I see it too. The way I see it this team should be in round 2 or further every year, no matter what.

This team should have a great regular season next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if not considering the inevitable hangover.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
That assumes the Kings will be able to find that same "groove" that they were on this year during the playoffs. It's not a given that the team will play up to their potential every time, and could be in a serious funk once the playoff starts.

Like the Bruins this year, they had an unbelievable period mid-season when they seemed unbeatable, then faded down the stretch and got knocked out of the first round. They peaked early, whilst the Kings peaked at just the right time.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic.
This. But also as Ron said...now I can just enjoy the games for what they are worth with much less nervousness

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

And of course I'm going to chime in with "the answer. "

The only team that can beat the Kings four times in a series is themselves. If they play like round four, game four, four times, then that would be beating themselves...Quick has had bad games too...luckily he's let in no more than 2 goals in his "bad games. "

Old
06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Injuries are a huge factor in any playoff run. Not discounting the Kings incredible run in any way, but the entire team (essentially) was relatively healthy. That's extremely difficult to manage year after year.

I'd REALLY like to see a 4th place conference finish or better in the next few years when the Kings should be competitive annually so they can give a run a go with home ice. The path the Kings took being the 8th seed was the most difficult path possible. I'd like to see them win the division at some point and get a postseason path that's a bit more reflective of reality. They were an 8th seed in name only this year, that's for sure.

Keep in mind as well that as dominant as this run was, the saying "if you get to the Final, you'd better win it" is so very true because the offseason IS the shortest possible and fatigue will come in to play next year. It's extremely difficult to repeat because of that. There's essentially 2 months of down time and rehab that the entire team has missed.

Ironically, a (short) lockout to start the season would benefit the Kings.

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
KingsFan7824

They're not unbeatable. The only thing that we should expect is a team that now has a group of players together that should be in contention every year, at least for the next few seasons, while this group is together.

Maybe this group goes on to win 3 of the next 5 cups, who knows. But hockey is a fickle game. Weird bounces. A game of inches. The playoffs are a grind, and we haven't seen a repeat winner in well over a decade.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'm sure Boston fans were making this thread a year ago. The complexion of things can change pretty quickly.

By next April there will be (at least) 7 teams in the West alone that could win a series against us.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Injuries are a huge factor in any playoff run.
Yeah, I made it a point about stipulating "barring injuries." That throws the whole premise out the window.

Quote:
Keep in mind as well that as dominant as this run was, the saying "if you get to the Final, you'd better win it" is so very true because the offseason IS the shortest possible and fatigue will come in to play next year. It's extremely difficult to repeat because of that. There's essentially 2 months of down time and rehab that the entire team has missed.
This is my biggest concern. Its the one reason we (IMO) will never see again a New York Islander or Edmonton Oiler type run as we saw in the 1980s. (also Montreal in the 1970s.)

Quote:
Ironically, a (short) lockout to start the season would benefit the Kings.
Yeah, well, I thought that too about the Lakers this year and we all saw where it got them.

Then again, they are an aging team, where all of our guys are much younger.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I'm sure Boston fans were making this thread a year ago. The complexion of things can change pretty quickly.

By next April there will be (at least) 7 teams in the West alone that could win a series against us.
Name them, that's the whole point of this thread...Seven? I don't know about that. As I said above, I see Vancouver can give us a real tough time, but I don't see any other team having the capability of winning 4 out of 7 against us...although San Jose does give us a rough time game to game...

Old
06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

A healthy Vancouver team would give the Kings all they can handle.

San Jose is more of a mental thing than a team thing. On paper, the Kings shouldn't have too much trouble with San Jose.

I think St. Louis will be a tough team to beat next season as well. Halak will have a lot to do with that (and a healthy D corps in general).

Not sure about Detroit - it'll depend on how a lot of these teams will look at the start of the season.

Out East, Pittsburgh is the only team I think could legitimately have a shot at beating the Kings in a Final (that will obviously mean that PIT has a goalie who is on top of their game. i.e. not 2012 Fleury).

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-17-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
A healthy Vancouver team would give the Kings all they can handle.
Would love to see this...this would be one awesome series.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Name them, that's the whole point of this thread...
Definitely possible:
Vancouver
Chicago
Phoenix
Detroit (could add Parise & Suter)

Unlikely but possible:
Nashville (Rinne could get hot)
STL
Colorado (if Varlamov & Duchene leap forward)
SJ (if big shakeup)
Min (if add Parise & Suter)

Probably no way:
CGY
EDM
DAL
CBJ
ANA

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Definitely possible:
Vancouver
Chicago
Phoenix
Detroit (could add Parise & Suter)

Unlikely but possible:
Nashville (Rinne could get hot)
STL
Colorado (if Varlamov & Duchene leap forward)
SJ (if big shakeup)
Min (if add Parise & Suter)

Probably no way:
CGY
EDM
DAL
CBJ
ANA
I really wanted to play AND BEAT Chicago this year...not to troll Hossa, who gave us the most respectful response when he didn't choose us as a UFA...but for us to see how badly we beat them...by one game (4-3) or by four (4-0), just to measure ourselves. I don't think Phoenix is that scary next year, they just don't have the depth. Maybe if Hossa is injured, we play Chicago in the WCF.

- R

Old
06-17-2012, 11:20 PM
SLang

Silly. Injuries and teams the Kings don't match up well against can both see them lose a 7 game series.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Kings were extremely healthy in these playoffs, no doubt about it. But I have to agree, if Quick plays at this level next season the Kings are going to be tough to beat.

Quick has the Hasek-like aura about him, and the Kings have a much stronger roster than Buffalo ever did.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:40 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Would love to see this...this would be one awesome series.
Considering the massive success teams have had whose path goes through Vancouver, I hope we play them every season.

Teams that beat Vancouver in the playoffs over the last 20 Years:

2012 - Kings win cup
2011 - Bruins win cup
2010 - Hawks win cup
2009 - Hawks lose in WCF
2008 - DNQ
2007 - Ducks win cup
2006 - DNQ
2005 - (lockout)
2004 - Flames lose in SCF
2003 - Wild lose in WCF
2002 - Wings win cup
2001 - Avs win cup
2000 - DNQ
1999 - DNQ
1998 - DNQ
1997 - DNQ
1996 - Avs win cup
1995 - Hawks lose in WCF
1994 - Rangers win cup
1993 - Kings lose in SCF
1992 - Oilers lose in WCF

The last 14 times Vancouver was in the playoffs, the team that beat them won the cup 8 times, lost in the SCF 2 times, lost in the WCF 5 times and appeared in the WCF every time. 50% chance of winning the cup if the path includes beating Vancouver.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Shellz

I always fear the Canucks.. so, it was nice beating them. I think the Sharks are a so so. I'm not confident, but I'm not too worried.

From the east? The Penguins. Unless Fluery goes into cheese mode again.

This Kings team has made me confident with whoever the Kings face. Every season is different, so I am still cautious.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Defgarden

You can't really throw basketball in there. It's much easier to have dynasties in basketball because the entire roster is just over a dozen players.

The NHL has way too many comparable teams to expect repeat champions. It CAN happen, yes, and this team certainly is capable, obviously, but I personally think this team had quite a bit of luck (yes, championships sometimes take a little luck). What the Kings did won't happen again for a long time.

Honestly, a fully healthy Vancouver, Wings, Pittsburgh and a few other teams would have a decent chance of beating the Kings. If I were a betting man, and had to pick someone to win the cup next year (besides the Kings), it'd be Vancouver (provided their team doesn't change much and they stay healthy).

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote