HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is it worth it to buy a ticket to NHL preseason?

Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
Is it worth it to buy a ticket to NHL preseason?

Should I wait to buy a ticket to the regular season then go to a preseason game. I drive 300 miles to go to St. Paul MN to see JETS vs Wild.

Tell me the benefits of going to preseason games?

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You get to see your team's prospects in action. The ones who probably won't make the team that year.

There's usually a lot of goals and fights. Not experienced, and tough guys looking for a spot.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

I personally would rather spend my time going to free prospect scrimmages and/or cheap rookie tournaments (eg Ottawa, Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Chicago do one, i'm sure the jets participate in one as well).

If i wanted to see the NHL talent, i'd rather pay double or triple to see the real thing than go to a split-squad half real-team half prospects and scrubs game with very low intensity.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Rather than buying a ticket, I would suggest going to the host team's board and asking if a STH would be kind enough to give you one. A lot of them go unused, even in sold-out arenas.

Do NOT pay face value, anyway. They're not worth it. Wait till the last minute, buy one marked down 50%, and then just sit in whatever empty seat you like.

If you have to choose between pre and regular season, one or the other, DEFINITELY go with the regular season game.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Expect to see lots of dirty plays, suspensions, and injuries during the preseason. At least that's what happened last season.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
hockeypuck2012

Wait until the regular season.

hockeypuck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:19 PM
DonthaveaCOWEN

While its cool to see your young prospects in action (WIN and MIN both have great prospect pool), the atmosphere at preseason games are almost unbearable. The first home preseason game might have a bit of buzz due to the 4 month layoff, but any of the other games are god awful to watch live. I assume you are going down on a weekend so try to make it for an early October saturday night game which are the bomb. Saturday games have a buzz that make Monday or Tuesday games seem like a library (at least at scotiabank place lol)

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

I go to preseason games for the prospects, but i also live 45 mins from the garden. If i was that far away i would wait for the regular season.

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Since I follow the OHL almost as closely as the NHL, the one thing I like about pre-season games is seeing the debut in an NHL uniform of some of the guys I've followed in the 'O' for many years. Otherwise, I'd agree with most of the other comments that the atmosphere usually isn't so great and the you're rolling the dice when it comes to seeing an exciting game. If you can get discount tickets then I'd go for it. If you don't care about prospects and just want to see the big stars, then best to give it as miss.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Ozz

I always have fun at them, but I wouldn't drive too far to get to one. I go see the Penguins whenever they come to play the Wings in a pre-season; it's a 30-minute drive. Usually pay $20-30 for a pair of tickets online.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Krishna

Yeah, it's worth it.. It's still hockey.. Last year I paid 50 bucks for a pair of front row tickets.. And that was after stubhub's fees

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
It's a fun time. My brother and I went once last year. Sat in the club level for $25, well worth it. Wouldn't spend much more than that, though.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:36 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Rather than buying a ticket, I would suggest going to the host team's board and asking if a STH would be kind enough to give you one. A lot of them go unused, even in sold-out arenas.

Do NOT pay face value, anyway. They're not worth it. Wait till the last minute, buy one marked down 50%, and then just sit in whatever empty seat you like.

If you have to choose between pre and regular season, one or the other, DEFINITELY go with the regular season game.
I forgot at first that this wasn't posted in the Jets forum and almost posted something entirely wrong.

Anyways I think I paid $250+ per ticket to go to the first Jets preseason game last year and that was direct from the team (not a scalper). In that case it was easily worth it. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for preseason anymore though since I saw plenty of regular season games. For someone who so far hasn't been able to get tickets or who doesn't live in an NHL city and will be in one for a preseason game, I'd say it's worth it - it might not be the real thing but it's good hockey and if you follow the team closely it gives you a sneak peak at their prospects.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Bonecrusher11
Swedish goal king

It's pretty fun. I went to a Bruins pre-season game in Washington in 2010. There were not many people there, but the B's lost and didn't have their stars playing. They lost, and on the way out someone saw my Krejci shirt and yelled something about winning the game and I said "let's see who wins the Cup!". I hope I haunt him forever.

Bonecrusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:51 AM
NYRSchrute217

It's always pissed me off how the Rangers charge me regular season face value for the preseason games. Paying 100 bucks a pair for 4 preseason games is the biggest waste of money, and I'm thrilled if I get rid of them for half face.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:51 AM
IDuck

temporary fix....come september, any live hockey gets the blood flowing again, plus you get first looks at your teams new additions (if playing), but preseason is like watching your team play a pick up game and are only allowed to use like 3 starting players

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:54 AM
SCARFACE909

They're cool to see various prospects in your teams system and the tickets are usually very cheap even for the lower seats.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:04 AM
puckyeah

I dont think i've ever seen a preseason game on tv, much less than go to one live but i've seen some boxscores and there appears to be TONS of fights in the preseasons. Has anyone had the experience of seeing lots of chippy play?

Maybe the first preseason game between the Coyotes and Kings will be worth going to?

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:02 AM
nhlfan9191

We have a pre season game once a year in saskatoon and let me tell you they are a major bore.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote