Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Wandell - now 100% more qualified!

Old
06-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
A couple of years ago I was at a local park and saw a puppy running around. He was there all day including when I left.
As of today, he sits, stays, jumps, lies down, goes to his kennel when told and is housebroken. He's a good dog and I'm glad I kept him.

He's also better than Petersen.
That's mean.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
beeker16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
That's mean.
I'm just really angry at the way this team is being run.
Guess I shouldn't take it out on Petersen as he's not the scouting & brass.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
I'm hoping he wasn't trying to find a stopgap for #2 center and couldn't. I mean, he wasn't awful in his short stint there, but I'm seriously hoping GMJN isn't stupid enough to put him on the 2nd line for an extended amount of time (I know it's not his decision, but he could easily force Gully's hand).

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Stepneski ripping Heika a bit
God I love Mark. That guy gets it through and through. As he becomes more prominent by being on the Stars official page it will become more evident to the plebeians that Heika is a hack.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
So your plan is to make the roster better by throwing away an asset?
It's not throwing him away. They could still sign him later if they wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Did you even read his post...?
I don't get why wanting the roster to be better is so offensive to folks. The devotion given to every spare part of this bad team is fascinating.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:07 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Waste of time and space

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:09 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Making the playoffs hinges on making the roster better. Keeping Wandell around tells us his roster spot won't be better.
So you want to improve the team by improving the depth players?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
So you want to improve the team by improving the depth players?
Among other things, yes.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post

I don't get why wanting the roster to be better is so offensive to folks. The devotion given to every spare part of this bad team is fascinating.
I definitely agree with you.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
They could also easily trade him if a kid pushes him out of the spot. I don't think its a bad thing to have backup in case one of the kids aren't as ready as you think they are, and need more seasoning in the AHL. It's never a good idea to pencil prospects in the lineup before training camp.

Heika seemed to get a little insulted by everyone telling him he's wrong, and wrote an article explaining his PoV that the organization should have just moved on. His argument seems to be that the organization has a bad track record of playing prospects who may offer more in a position over low talent regulars. He's scared with Wandell in the position, they'll avoid making the hard but necessary decision to trade him and bring a kid up.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2012...sightful.html/

He's right about one thing, this is a pretty silly argument. It's a 4th liner for 1 year ffs. But he's also right that if they use him being on the roster already to not give a NHL ready prospect a spot, it speaks to something about our management and their decision making processes.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Our greatest hopes and dreams are if he's even a shadow of Niko Kapanen.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
txomisc

I really fail to see the downside to this. If he comes into camp and wins himself a good spot well more power to him. If he doesn't play well I don't think they would be afraid to send him to the AHL where he could actually be quite helpful to the Texas Stars. If they sign someone better than him they can toss him into a deal or once again just waive him and send him to the AHL.

A little more as far as the kids go and thats that I really don't think more than a few of them are NHL ready. Sceviour should be, maybe Glennie and Fraser but Wandell is not going to take a spot away from these guys if they earn their chance.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
I really fail to see the downside to this. If he comes into camp and wins himself a good spot well more power to him. If he doesn't play well I don't think they would be afraid to send him to the AHL where he could actually be quite helpful to the Texas Stars. If they sign someone better than him they can toss him into a deal or once again just waive him and send him to the AHL.

A little more as far as the kids go and thats that I really don't think more than a few of them are NHL ready. Sceviour should be, maybe Glennie and Fraser but Wandell is not going to take a spot away from these guys if they earn their chance.
I totally agree. Bringing Wandell back is a no-risk move, and given the lack of legit UFA options, it may be the better one for next season.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
That Heika article is one of the worst he's ever written. I considered breaking it down line by line but I just don't care enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Our greatest hopes and dreams are if he's even a shadow of Niko Kapanen.
I don't like the Kapanen comparison. Niko's greatest attribute was his vision which is Wandell's biggest weakness.

What's more, Wandell's presence blocks precisely no one. There's no top-9 forward who is banging down the door like Dillon is on defense. Who's the closest? Maybe Fraser -- a scoring winger not known for his defense or skating. So the polar opposite of Wandell. Glennie? Needs more time, not known for defense. R. Smith? Scoring winger who probably needs more time... etc.

Wandell is cheap, versatile, and still has some potential. I'm sure the Stars can find a way to tolerate his presence on the roster. Or if not, waive him.

Last edited by piqued: 06-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.
piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

If Wandell is on the 4th line he's probably not blocking anyone and he's just a guy. He's a better guy than Peterson but that's damning with faint praise. If he's on the 3rd line it means no one else is ready for that role and welp we're going to suck as he gets knocked off the puck, leading to transition the other way.

Wandell doesn't deserve anything but perhaps this is the devil you know vs. someone outside the org. coming in to take that spot. I don't think he has any trade value but a one year contract is obviously not a commitment by the team. He, like several other guys, is a stop gap till something better comes along. To put it another way, a small bag of meh.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:28 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
That Heika article is one of the worst he's ever written. I considered breaking it down line by line but I just don't care enough.
I'm not sure what's more sad:

1. The fact that our main beat writer is deadset on an opinion despite everyone else telling him he's wrong

2. Or the fact that he thinks such a release of assets is justified because he doesn't have faith in organization to move a player like Wandell to the AHL/trade if a kid outplays him. And that he might not be incorrect.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:15 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Neither do I. However, this little nugget right here is notably idiotic:

Quote:
I firmly believe the Stars’ prospects are ready to push for jobs at the NHL level, and I fear that sometimes the fact that the NHL roster has to be “filled” prevents the opportunity for younger players to force their way into the NHL.

That's the thing. All they've done is given themselves a backup plan as well as competition for those players - somebody to beat out. If Wandell is bad then it shouldn't be very difficult for one of the prospects to put him out of a job. That article is, unsurprisingly, devoid of much logic.

Also, the fact that he's hung up on Wandell being a center is just dumb but that's more or less par for the course.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
In fact, it should be obvious by now that Wandell is a wing. Move him to the wing in camp. Everything about his game screams winger.

The idea that you reserve spots for forward prospects is nuts... and I'm the biggest pro-prospect person out there. You go with people competing for spots. When Benn made the team were they rolling out the red carpet for him? No, he had to beat out Brunnstrom.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:51 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
The idea that you reserve spots for forward prospects is nuts... and I'm the biggest pro-prospect person out there. You go with people competing for spots. When Benn made the team were they rolling out the red carpet for him? No, he had to beat out Brunnstrom.
Pretty much every time I read anything by Heika I stop just short of labelling him a complete idiot. He always throws something in there that's agreeable (in this case his pro-prospect position) but he just fails to connect all the dots.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
I'm not sure what's more sad:

1. The fact that our main beat writer is deadset on an opinion despite everyone else telling him he's wrong
Is Heika wrong? The team waited a week to qualify Wandell at nearly the last minute. If this was such a no brainer, why didn't they qualify him with everyone else they really like? They delayed for a reason. Maybe they were trying to use a trade to add to the roster. Maybe they were debating whether it was worth qualifying Wandell. Who knows.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

I'll be the first to say it... with this roster, and only with a 1 year deal, it really doesn't matter either way if we qualified him or not. We could probably find better and worse FA options. We could probably find more expensive and cheaper options. The way our 4th line is used, I don't want any of the prospects down there, so he isn't blocking anyone NHL ice time. This just seems like most marginal of marginal decisions.

Amd the part about being able to flip Wandell for an asset if we find someone better to take his spot... What are you expecting to get for him? a 6th? a 7th? Future Considerations? MEH

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
They could also easily trade him if a kid pushes him out of the spot.
I have to agree with Heika on this one and disagree with this line of thinking. While I understand the logic that Wandell is an asset and you never want to give up on an asset you've invested three or four years of salary in, sometimes it is better to just cut your losses.

Thing is, if Wandell accepts the offer, it costs you $900,000, whether he plays in the AHL, whether he sits on the bench, or he plays. While there is a chance it is a shrewd investment, if it's not, it's a lot to pay for an AHL player and it's a good bet that even with waivers you're only going to shed that contract by paying half of it anyway.

If the Stars aren't that confident that Wandell is going to make big progress this year, and one would presume they've investigated the trade route already, they might as well take that $900,000 of real money and cap space and invest it in something they believe could bear fruit down the line.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
God I love Mark. That guy gets it through and through. As he becomes more prominent by being on the Stars official page it will become more evident to the plebeians that Heika is a hack.
I would agree with you there on Stepneski being a stronger analytical reporter than Heika, but I wonder if being on the official site will help him or take away some of the bite he had on his own.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:24 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
I have to agree with Heika on this one and disagree with this line of thinking. While I understand the logic that Wandell is an asset and you never want to give up on an asset you've invested three or four years of salary in, sometimes it is better to just cut your losses.

Thing is, if Wandell accepts the offer, it costs you $900,000, whether he plays in the AHL, whether he sits on the bench, or he plays. While there is a chance it is a shrewd investment, if it's not, it's a lot to pay for an AHL player and it's a good bet that even with waivers you're only going to shed that contract by paying half of it anyway.

If the Stars aren't that confident that Wandell is going to make big progress this year, and one would presume they've investigated the trade route already, they might as well take that $900,000 of real money and cap space and invest it in something they believe could bear fruit down the line.
Gosh I really hope the new owner isn't overly concerned with 900K while the team is millions and millions below the cap.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:39 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Gosh I really hope the new owner isn't overly concerned with 900K while the team is millions and millions below the cap.
So because the team has a new owner who has deep pockets that makes it acceptable for them to waste money and cap space that could be better used otherwise? I'm glad you're not working for my hockey department. That's still a $900,000 investment, it isn't monopoly money.