HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Darcy hanging open for business sign

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  #126
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Dreger tweeting that teams in on Nash are also in on Ryan. I'd imagine that includes on the Rangers, Sharks (no chance on Ryan), Sabres, etc.
I can see the Sabres interest a whole lot more in Ryan than in Nash.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:50 AM
  #127
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
I'd be stunned if Buffalo traded the assets for Nash, unless Regier used the force on Howson.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
  #128
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If we acquired Ryan and kept Pommer, Vanek, Roy, Leino, Stafford, Ennis, Hodgson and Foligno.

Our potential top 9 could be

Vanek/Hodgson/Ryan
Leino/Roy/Pommer
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford


I think thats a tad better than last year's opening roster
I love this group although a different type of offensive center in Roy's place would be nice. I would also love it if it looked like this...

Vanek/Hodgson/Nash

Rick Nash is one of my favorite players in the world. Him on my favorite team would be amazing.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
  #129
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'd be stunned if Buffalo traded the assets for Nash, unless Regier used the force on Howson.
Maybe we can re-acquire Chris Butler and Paul Byron?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
  #130
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Maybe we can re-acquire Chris Butler and Paul Byron?
Butler
Byron
2nd

for

Rights to Kotalik


New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:40 AM
  #131
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If we acquired Ryan and kept Pommer, Vanek, Roy, Leino, Stafford, Ennis, Hodgson and Foligno.

Our potential top 9 could be

Vanek/Hodgson/Ryan
Leino/Roy/Pommer
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford


I think thats a tad better than last year's opening roster
Not bad. I like the Ryan addition with Hodgson, my thoughts as well.
However, I'm not fond of Vanek on that line, or on the roster at all to be honest.
He doesn't have the legs to move with Ryan, that's for sure, and I don't believe him and Hodgson did very well together at the end of last season when they were on the ice together.

I'd like to see Vanek replaced with a player that has more speed.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
  #132
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post

I'd like to see Vanek replaced with a player that has more speed.
Rico Fata.The perfect speedster to replace the 8th highest goal scorer since the lockout.Or maybe see what Max Afinogenov is doing?

Vanek is fast enough, his skating ability really is blown out of the water.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:57 AM
  #133
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Rico Fata.The perfect speedster to replace the 8th highest goal scorer since the lockout.Or maybe see what Max Afinogenov is doing?

Vanek is fast enough, his skating ability really is blown out of the water.
He's *9 since the lockout in point of fact. Further more, he is in the bottom 10 of the 30 picks from that 03 class in clutch performances.
There is nothing you can possibly say to change my opinion of Vanek.
Ship him out, the sooner, the better.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:06 PM
  #134
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
He's *9 since the lockout in point of fact. Further more, he is in the bottom 10 of the 30 picks from that 03 class in clutch performances.
There is nothing you can possibly say to change my opinion of Vanek.
Ship him out, the sooner, the better.
Vanek's ONLY problem is inconsistency. He disappears at times. When Vanek is on though, there are only handful of guys more dangerous than him. Not sure why you feel the need to ship him out.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
  #135
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Vanek's ONLY problem is inconsistency. He disappears at times. When Vanek is on though, there are only handful of guys more dangerous than him. Not sure why you feel the need to ship him out.
Well, I would like to see a Stanley Cup Parade in downtown Buffalo and I don't see Vanek as a part of that process, in my opinion of course.

Why I feel that way you just eluded to. He does disappear, and for long stretches. He's not a clutch player, Pomer's is more clutch than Vanek.
For 6.25 mil cap hit and even more in actual salary, he's a product not worth the price, not when there can be others brought into the organization that may produce on a more consistent basis.

In all honesty though Carl, I just want this group broken up, and the only ones of Vanek, Pomer's, Roy and Stafford I'd think of keeping is Pomer's for sure (due to his consistency) and maybe Stafford (if we can keep him, great, if he's needed in a trade to upgrade center or wing position, bye bye now).

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
  #136
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Well, I would like to see a Stanley Cup Parade in downtown Buffalo and I don't see Vanek as a part of that process, in my opinion of course.

Why I feel that way you just eluded to. He does disappear, and for long stretches. He's not a clutch player, Pomer's is more clutch than Vanek.
For 6.25 mil cap hit and even more in actual salary, he's a product not worth the price, not when there can be others brought into the organization that may produce on a more consistent basis.

In all honesty though Carl, I just want this group broken up, and the only ones of Vanek, Pomer's, Roy and Stafford I'd think of keeping is Pomer's for sure (due to his consistency) and maybe Stafford (if we can keep him, great, if he's needed in a trade to upgrade center or wing position, bye bye now).
I agree that Vanek is overpaid but that was simply unfortunately a raw deal the Sabres ended up on the wrong side of. They HAD to keep him.

See, if we can upgrade via trade, I would like to do it with either Roy or Stafford. I think Vanek can be a key cog.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
  #137
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
He's *9 since the lockout in point of fact. Further more, he is in the bottom 10 of the 30 picks from that 03 class in clutch performances.
There is nothing you can possibly say to change my opinion of Vanek.
Ship him out, the sooner, the better.
Actually he is not, so if you want to call me out how about YOU get your facts straight.Vanek is 8th, or do you need me to show you?

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals


And how are you going to measure clutchness from the 03 draft?GWG?Because Vanek is 2nd the 03 draft in that department only 1 behind the leader, not to mention he has the highest goals per game avg.Or should we use recent playoff performances, you know 5 goals in 7 games in 2011 or 3 points in 3 games the year before that? My god, no point using facts Bottom 10 in clutch performances, according to who?

You want to dump Vanek to add more "speed" to a mythical Vanek-Hodgson-Ryan line, which is funny because Hodgson is probably the slowest Sabre now.Did you even watch him in any games?!?He is dreadfully slow, he makes Vanek look like Selanne in terms of speed.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
  #138
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Vanek's ONLY problem is inconsistency. He disappears at times. When Vanek is on though, there are only handful of guys more dangerous than him. Not sure why you feel the need to ship him out.
You just summed up my opinion perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Well, I would like to see a Stanley Cup Parade in downtown Buffalo and I don't see Vanek as a part of that process, in my opinion of course.
The same could be said about a lot of players - and the coach, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
He's not a clutch player, Pomer's is more clutch than Vanek..
Not true.....

Vanek:
In 547 career GP, he has 39 game-winning goals
6 overtime goals
16 shootout goals on 48 attempts (33.3%) with 4 game-deciding goals

Pominville:
In 545 career GP, he has 19 game-winning goals
4 overtime goals
14 shootout goals on 39 attempts (35.9%) with 3 game-deciding goals

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
  #139
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Vanek's ONLY problem is inconsistency. He disappears at times. When Vanek is on though, there are only handful of guys more dangerous than him. Not sure why you feel the need to ship him out.
yea... that's all. no big deal or anything


how many players are in a handful?
Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Crosby, Giroux, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Perry, Parise, Hall, Ryan... and that's without touching the players that are actually comparable to Vanek.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  #140
AlexanderMogilny89
Registered User
 
AlexanderMogilny89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
If we were entering any other offseason, I'd tend to agree with you.

I think Regier realizes how crucial this offseason is for him, though. This team has to be better. A lot better.

His job could be at stake (speculation on my part). If he stands pat/signs or trades for a third-liner, and the team still sucks, he could be fired at year's end.

There is no more "hoping" for the Rochester core to figure it out. Pegula wants results.
I hope your right. This should be the post of the year. If he does stand pat/signs or trades for a third liner. They still suck and he is not fired. I'm sure there will be a lot of unhappy Sabres fans.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  #141
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,919
vCash: 500
Does anyone else think that van Riemsdyk could be a player Regier has targeted as an improvement to the top 6 forwards? He's not a center but his age (23), size (6'-3", 200) and contract (6 years at $4.25M) sure seem to fit with the criteria Regier often emphasizes as important to him.

With the Flyers woes on defense (Pronger's health, Timmonen's age and Carle's pending UFA status), I wonder if some kind of package of Sekera, Stafford and maybe an exchange of draft picks could work for Philly. I doubt they'd be interested in Roy.

His name's been in rumors on and off but not to the degree of the bigger names; JVR certainly qualifies as one of those "under-the-radar" type Regier is famous for. He's not of Ryan's caliber yet but if Ryan and Staal aren't made available, it's an option.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
  #142
AlexanderMogilny89
Registered User
 
AlexanderMogilny89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
He's *9 since the lockout in point of fact. Further more, he is in the bottom 10 of the 30 picks from that 03 class in clutch performances.
There is nothing you can possibly say to change my opinion of Vanek.
Ship him out, the sooner, the better.
How about get him a #1 center 1st before shipping him out?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
  #143
AlexanderMogilny89
Registered User
 
AlexanderMogilny89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Does anyone else think that van Riemsdyk could be a player Regier has targeted as an improvement to the top 6 forwards? He's not a center but his age (23), size (6'-3", 200) and contract (6 years at $4.25M) sure seem to fit with the criteria Regier often emphasizes as important to him.

With the Flyers woes on defense (Pronger's health, Timmonen's age and Carle's pending UFA status), I wonder if some kind of package of Sekera, Stafford and maybe an exchange of draft picks could work for Philly. I doubt they'd be interested in Roy.

His name's been in rumors on and off but not to the degree of the bigger names; JVR certainly qualifies as one of those "under-the-radar" type Regier is famous for. He's not of Ryan's caliber yet but if Ryan and Staal aren't made available, it's an option.

I would love for the Sabres to get JVR. He is the type of player they need on this team. Only thing is though who would they get to center the 1st line? Draft? Or would they still try to grab a #1 center?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
  #144
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea... that's all. no big deal or anything


how many players are in a handful?
Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Crosby, Giroux, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Perry, Parise, Hall, Ryan... and that's without touching the players that are actually comparable to Vanek.
I don't think some of them are as offensively dangerous as Vanek.... better players sure maybe but not more dangerous (I'm looking at the players after Giroux).

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
  #145
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Does anyone else think that van Riemsdyk could be a player Regier has targeted as an improvement to the top 6 forwards? He's not a center but his age (23), size (6'-3", 200) and contract (6 years at $4.25M) sure seem to fit with the criteria Regier often emphasizes as important to him.

With the Flyers woes on defense (Pronger's health, Timmonen's age and Carle's pending UFA status), I wonder if some kind of package of Sekera, Stafford and maybe an exchange of draft picks could work for Philly. I doubt they'd be interested in Roy.

His name's been in rumors on and off but not to the degree of the bigger names; JVR certainly qualifies as one of those "under-the-radar" type Regier is famous for. He's not of Ryan's caliber yet but if Ryan and Staal aren't made available, it's an option.
I don't think Holmgren will trade JVR in the East

If he was, i'd be interested, but not at the asst purchase level of what I'd pay for Ryan/Staal.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
  #146
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,574
vCash: 500
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle913542.ece

Quote:
Regier says he’s eschewing “quick fix” theories. Players entering the final year of their contract are not high on his list, especially if they would cost the Sabres part of their draft bounty. The team has two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 21) and two second-rounders (Nos. 42 and 44 overall).

“I’m not talking about a one-year fix or a player that is going to be looking at becoming an unrestricted free agent and you don’t think you’re going to have the ability to sign and keep, then you’re going to lean more toward the draft,” Regier said. “If you have the opportunity to add someone who’s either under contract or is a high-profile player at a reasonable – whatever reasonable accounts for these days – cost, then certainly that’s something we’ll pursue.”
I wonder if that rules out Staal & Getzlaf?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:41 PM
  #147
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles
 
CarlWinslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea... that's all. no big deal or anything


how many players are in a handful?
Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Crosby, Giroux, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Perry, Parise, Hall, Ryan... and that's without touching the players that are actually comparable to Vanek.
I'll take what Vanek brings and the task of trying to keep him motivated over trying to replace his scoring.

Man, Vanek when he is on is just as effective as some of the guys you listed. If he were on all of the time he would be an elite scorer. Furthermore, considering he gets less ice time than probably every player you listed, his contributions are pretty impressive.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
  #148
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Is anyone else concerned/frightened/excited that Regier's comments might be pointing to local wild-child Pat Kane? I need the puke emoticon, lunch just turned in my stomach at the thought...

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
  #149
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Is anyone else concerned/frightened/excited that Regier's comments might be pointing to local wild-child Pat Kane? I need the puke emoticon, lunch just turned in my stomach at the thought...
Well, he is a winger-turned-center...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
  #150
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Darcy will make a move that NO one saw coming, if anyone has Rumors about the Sabres interested or shopping a player it is most definetly speculation, the Sabres never show their cards.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.