HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Alexander Semin

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Hale Dunter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Loui eriksson?
He does seem like a bargain on paper. We dint see many Stars games in DC, so I really can't comment on his game beyond that.
I think he might command more if he were a ufa now and he might seem really underpaid in a yr or 2 if he keeps it up.

There are however few Semin comps. His salary was high in. part because of its term.

There is also a huge amount of misinformation in this thread, as usual, about Semin.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:48 AM
crashnburnluder

Still no real news on Semin?

Old
07-05-2012, 06:03 AM
HiddenInLight

You've got to think that a few more teams are now competing for Semins services after Parise goes to the wild.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
You've got to think that a few more teams are now competing for Semins services after Parise goes to the wild.
Completely different players...Semin in Detroit still makes sense IMO(even before Parise signed)

Old
07-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburnluder View Post
Still no real news on Semin?
Nothing substantial yet. Unsurprisingly, teams waited until Parise was off the market before kicking the tires on Semin. Not only is he most team's Plan B, but Semin's agent rightly waited until after the market was established by Parise's contract.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:24 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Completely different players...Semin in Detroit still makes sense IMO(even before Parise signed)
Still the second best winger on the market, and still a first line player. Its not a stretch to say that teams that were chasing Parise had Semin as the second player on their list. I never compared Semin to Parise, just said that he would be an acceptable consolation prize to a team like Pittsburgh, NJ, Chiago, and the like.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:27 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
I don't think they're comparing the players, so much as saying that Semin is a consolation prize. No team was going to sign both players. If you fail at signing Parise, and you still want to add scoring to your lineup, you set your sights on Semin.

I think the stumbling block for some will be term, not money. Yes, he's coming off a one year deal. But, there are serious questions about his game and whether he can find the success he had earlier in his career.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:35 AM
MBauer

Quote:
The comments i have read from Holland lately make me think he wants nothing to do with Semin, it really is frustrating to me because i think they would have a good chance at landing him. I will not blame him for losing out on Suter or Parise, because that was out of his control, but if he doesn't even offer Semin a deal i think it will be a mistake we will regret in the 12/13 season.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Yes, we know Parise is Everything You Want and Semin is a filthy, lazy slav, but they're top line (I'm not talking technicalities here) wingers who put up a lot of points. While not every team interested in Parise will be interested in Semin, there's no reason to think several of them won't be, and frankly most of them should be because he's probably going to be the better contract value. I'll add the caveat that I have no idea what Semin will really get, so I say that under the assumption that his contract will be much shorter and have a lower hit.

I for one hope the Sabres land him but I am skeptical to say the least that he would come here over the likely offer Detroit will shrewdly throw at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
The comments i have read from Holland lately make me think he wants nothing to do with Semin, it really is frustrating to me because i think they would have a good chance at landing him. I will not blame him for losing out on Suter or Parise, because that was out of his control, but if he doesn't even offer Semin a deal i think it will be a mistake we will regret in the 12/13 season.
I hope this is true only if it means we can get him, otherwise I want to see him in Detroit. They're my favorite team in the West (and have been since forever) and I'd love to see my favorite non-Sabre Datsyuk aid Semin in having a Kovalchuk-esque shutting up of the media bigmouths.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Tommyj214

love to see him man up admit he hasn't been playing to his potential, take a pay cut stay in Was, and see what he does with Ribeiro......

Old
07-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

does he want to play with a russian on the roster or does he only care about the money (like Jagr)

Old
07-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
does he want to play with a russian on the roster or does he only care about the money (like Jagr)
Well if he does... we have Sergei Gonchar who could be a good mentor for him.. He did play a big role in Malkin's career apparently so I could see him doing the same for Semin and I think Semin would be lethal on Spezza's wing...but Bryan Murray's interest in him has yet to be determined. We keep hearing the sens want another Top 6 forward, well here's the best option IMO.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
He's an introverted guy, I can't see him signing for a team that has no Russians on it's roster.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
HawkeyLife07

Semin's Cap Hit

What do you guys think his cap hit will end up being once he gets signed?

Old
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
SpezDispenser

I'd love him on Ottawa for 2 years, but I doubt he takes a 2 year deal.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Semin on the Devils.

On one hand, he is a great offensive talent and could be sick playing with Kovy... And I don't think he's a bad defensive player, but rather that he gets typecast as the "full Russian forward stereotype" (bad mentality, bad defense, soft) due to simply having a bad mentality. From a technical standpoint he's a competent defensive player which is a requirement on the Devils. But depending on who you listen to, he just isn't there mentally a lot of the time. I'm not sure that's a fixable problem at this stage in his career. When Kovalchuk came over, it wasn't so much mental/effort issues as it was that he'd been taught he didn't need to play defense, so he put everything into scoring goals. That's a more fixable problem than mental disappearance, IMO.

I'm receptive to seeing him in a Devils sweater, but I wouldn't take a long term contract with him. Maybe 5.75 million per year, 4 years.

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Semin
Elias - Henrique - Zubrus
Tedenby - Josefson - Clarkson (possibly replace Tedenby with Sykora if he comes back, although Sykora and Elias would probably play together)
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Old
07-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Depends on the term and no one knows if he wants a short-term or a long-term deal. It could be anywhere from around 6mil to a little over 7mil.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:38 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's an introverted guy, I can't see him signing for a team that has no Russians on it's roster.
The Sabres just drafted a Russian Center...

Old
07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
HiddenInLight

Depending on the term, team, and what he wants I would guess anywhere between 4 (In a long term deal loaded with bonuses and what not sort of like Christian Ehrhoff) and 7 million (in the normal NHL fashion) at the max probably.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Up to 5 years - 7 M.

Over 5 years - 6.5 M.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Xgp

vCash: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Up to 5 years - 7 M.

Over 5 years - 6.5 M.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Up to 5 years - 7 M.

Over 5 years - 6.5 M.
I think it will be a touch less than that. Maybe $0.50-$0.75m less on both numbers.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
n3ss

What he wants and what he's going to get are two different things... I'm pretty sure his agent said he should get a deal similar to Parise.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:16 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
Quote:
Up to 5 years - 7 M.

Over 5 years - 6.5 M.
Someone will be disappointed then. If Semin is making over $6M, I think he is overpaid.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Someone will be disappointed then. If Semin is making over $6M, I think he is overpaid.
High risk high reward type deal. If he scores 40 like he's capable of then it's a steal.

Closed Thread