HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Lidstrom vs Pronger

View Poll Results: If you could pick 1 player in their prime for 1 cup run who would it be?
Pronger 57 32.57%
Lidstrom 118 67.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
One Norris vs seven Norrisses.

Uhm...

Lidstrom is better at everything than taking stupid penalties.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:05 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Lidstrom has never even been the best player on his own team. You put Lidstrom on St Louis or Edmonton he would of been lucky just to make an all star team.

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I'd like the big mean Pronger.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
Lidstrom has never even been the best player on his own team. You put Lidstrom on St Louis or Edmonton he would of been lucky just to make an all star team.
He's still arguably a top 5 d-man in history...

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I would disagree that Pronger took stupid penalties.

Most of his penalties were of the "investment" variety. Try to cut to the middle and WHACK, right between the glove and the elbow pad. Stand in front of the net and WHACK right on the ankles. Try to finish your check and boom butt-end three inches into the gut.

Refs aren't gonna call everything, so your choice is to try one of these things, possibly be injured and hope for, at most, a 2 minute powerplay or, well, not do these things and deal with the fact that you've got bad options against a player who he had the largest wing-span (this is before Chara started to be effective) and was one of the best stickcheckers ever. And if you turn the puck over, his breakout pass was, basically, as perfect as they get (something that would become even more obvious later in his career once the red line was removed).

The year Pronger won the Hart, he played a whopping 2300 minutes (that's over half a game played per game played). There was no avoiding him. No getting a favorable matchup.

In his prime, he was more effective than Lidstrom, though his true "prime" (about 18 months) was much much shorter than Lidstrom's (whose prime lasted something like 10 years).
The guy was considered one of the biggest postseason chokers in the NHL before the lockout, mostly because of his inclination to take bad penalties. It took a lot of luster off his Hart season to see him constantly put his team down in the playoffs that year

He certainly turned around that perception fast with his performances after the lockout. But I wouldnt call getting himself suspended twice during Anaheim's 2007 playoff run "taking calculated risks."

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
You may get eaten alive for this but it's true. It's amazing the power the winged wheel possesses. Same story with Datsyuk.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:48 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Lidstrom AINEC

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

As much as I want to say Lidstrom, I think I take Pronger's snarl and physicallity if were talking a single playoff run in their primes. Lidstrom was the better player, but Pronger's intimidating style of play can in the post season is very valuable. I know you can easily refute this stat with Lidstrom's resume, but Pronger has made 3 different finals appearances with 3 different teams, that's no coincidence.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The guy was considered one of the biggest postseason chokers in the NHL before the lockout, mostly because of his inclination to take bad penalties. It took a lot of luster off his Hart season to see him constantly put his team down in the playoffs that year

He certainly turned around that perception fast with his performances after the lockout. But I wouldnt call getting himself suspended twice during Anaheim's 2007 playoff run "taking calculated risks."
Yzerman was considered one of the biggest post-season chokers until he won too. History certainly frowns on that perception, doesn't it?

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think history will be unkind to Pronger. The 1 norris will hurt him. But for any fan who lived through the 90's and 2000's know how dominant he really was.

I like lidstrom. His place in history is safe. He will go down as one of the greatest Dmen ever. However he did have the fortune of playing with one of the best franchises , during an amazing streak of dominance. Pronger did not have that. I also think lidstrom won a couple of norris trophies on reputation rather actually deserving it.

Pronger may be the smartest player i have ever seen. His alpha male prescence gives his teammates confidence in their game , that they dont have to worry about much cause they know he has their back. Something like that can't be calculated on a stat sheet. I witnessed it first hand on the flyers. His prescence on the ice gave his teammates and d partner so much confidence that they performed better than expected. He is one of the few Dmen ive ever seen that makes his Teammates so much better.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7511
For one playoff one there should not be any Lidstrom AINEC.

Playerwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Go Habs Go

Lidstrom for one game, one week, one season, forever...

The only players I would take over Lidstrom has to be a Ray Bourque or Bobby Orr type.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
norrisnick

Pronger had a "louder" more in-your-face style than Lidstrom. But it wasn't better.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:08 PM
TradeBait

Quote:
Lidstrom has been the back bone of the Detroit defense for pretty much his entire career? Whether or not he was better than some Red Wing forwards is debatable; but also completely irrelevant. If you think comparing him to other Detroit players carries any weight at least compare him to others in his position.

Lidstrom's success isn't a product of playing in Detroit, infact Lidstrom is probably the biggest reason why so many players found success in Detroit.

If I wanted to make highlight reels with big hits I take Pronger, if I want to win the Stanley Cup I take Lidstrom.

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
DanZ

Quote:
What is this?

Lidstrom was the best player on the Wings for over a decade, at least. Only Howe is ahead of Lidstrom in terms of all time greatest Red Wings... (By that I mean all time best players, because Yzerman is certainly more iconic and beloved in Detroit, but he was not a better player than Lidstrom...)

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:13 PM
darglor

For 1 cup run, both playing like they did at their peak, who I take would depend on what the officiating is like. Pre-lockout style, I'd take Pronger. Couple years post lockout, Lidstrom. Now, Pronger again.

Both fantastic Dmen, but I feel like Pronger had a higher (albeit shorter) peak than Lidstrom did. Outside of actual defensive capability, I also feel like Pronger got into his opponents' heads more due to his brutal aggression and shananigans (like stealing whoever's first-goal puck in that one playoffs a couple years ago)

For most other comparisons between the two, I'd pick Lidstrom, for what it's worth...

darglor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
Lidstrom. Hes a beast. And prongers a ****** bag.
I'd take a d-bag on my team if he's a good a player as Pronger is. his personality wouldn't be a reason for me to not choose him.

for me, it's a tough choice.
I don't like the guy, but I think I have to go with Pronger.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

Uhm...

Lidstrom is better at everything than taking stupid penalties.
Lidstrom is also benefited by the fact awards are often given by reputation and popularity.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Lidstromboli.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I take Lidstrom for one season, one run, one round, one game, one period, one shift. You name it, Lidstrom is my choice for it.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Lidstrom is also benefited by the fact awards are often given by reputation and popularity.
The same "fact" worked to his disadvantage in the 90s, when no "soft Euro" was allowed to win the Norris.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Lidstrom, can't believe it's this close to be honest

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

There is so much ignorance here that it sickens me.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:20 PM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

Lidstrom, always Lidstrom

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:40 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
You can't win seven Norris trophies in one Stanley Cup run...

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote