HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Qualify Schneider, Lack, and Weise (UPD: Gragnani as well)

Old
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Sorry, bit I really want to re-sign Salo to a 1 yr $1.5 M salary, and play him 50 games.

not sure where grags fits in if at all, but

Hams KB
Edler Schultz
Tanev Ballard (its possible that he's here again)
Salo Grags

with Salo replacing every injury is not a bad contingency line up, with Tanev and Schultz fighting it out for 2nd line duties based on how well they are playing ...
Ballard or Garrison?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
m9

Letting Gragnani walk isn't a big deal, or even a loss of an asset. By most accounts of Buffalo fans he was horrendous for the Sabres, got traded for Alex Sulzer of all people, and then was pretty brutal here. If he's not back it should be no shock. If an asset has no value its not an asset. I would like a minor revamping on D, and letting someone like Gragnani walk is just fine with me.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Letting Gragnani walk isn't a big deal, or even a loss of an asset. By most accounts of Buffalo fans he was horrendous for the Sabres, got traded for Alex Sulzer of all people, and then was pretty brutal here. If he's not back it should be no shock. If an asset has no value its not an asset. I would like a minor revamping on D, and letting someone like Gragnani walk is just fine with me.
That's a dumb asset management. As I mentioned on the first page, worst case is you sign him, try to waive him and hope he makes it down the AHL to help out the Wolves. I have absolutely no doubt that he will be signed.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That's a dumb asset management. As I mentioned on the first page, worst case is you sign him, try to waive him and hope he makes it down the AHL to help out the Wolves. I have absolutely no doubt that he will be signed.
Agreed. The guy was a PPG defenseman his last season in the AHL, players like that do have value. If it wasn't for Tanev, I'd definitely want this guy on our roster to see if he could develop a defensive game. The guy has quite a few tools and at age 24-25 he isn't a lost cause just yet. If there isn't room then fine, sign him and send him down. I'm no capologist, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is Gillis is trying to get him signed to a contract where he can avoid recall waivers. I forget what the conditions need to be for that to happen, but I think that's the goal.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Agreed. The guy was a PPG defenseman his last season in the AHL, players like that do have value. If it wasn't for Tanev, I'd definitely want this guy on our roster to see if he could develop a defensive game. The guy has quite a few tools and at age 24-25 he isn't a lost cause just yet. If there isn't room then fine, sign him and send him down. I'm no capologist, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is Gillis is trying to get him signed to a contract where he can avoid recall waivers. I forget what the conditions need to be for that to happen, but I think that's the goal.
I think it's a $105K max AHL salary.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
m9

An asset is something that has value. He was traded for Alex Sulzer. He did nothing here for that value to increase.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
vannuckles
DieBettmanDie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamhuis View Post
Article's pretty dumb in that it says 'tips their hand on how canucks will handle goalies'.

Really? That is such a huge stretch...........

I mean to say, they should just give away assets for free??? What a stupid article. MSM can be so uselss sometimes.
"Useless sometimes" or useful all the time? (depending on who's side of the spin you are on). It has been THE biggest tool against us peasants, to keep us misinformed.

vannuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Not qualifying players or losing players for nothing reminds me of Burke waiving Bryzgalov. Poor asset management.

Qualify your players, see what they have to offer. Don't let them just walk for free, no matter who they are (barring they don't have any significant health issues).

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
An asset is something that has value. He was traded for Alex Sulzer. He did nothing here for that value to increase.
He's a 60 point AHL defenceman. At the very worst he has the value of a guy like Mancari who was signed to help the AHL team.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
m9

Quote:
He's a 60 point AHL defenceman. At the very worst he has the value of a guy like Mancari who was signed to help the AHL team.
If guys like Mancari and Gragnani are assets, its a very loose wording of the term. Ryan Parent was considered an asset, too. Is Gragnani still an asset if he causes our young d-men in Chicago to play less? Or if we re-sign him because "he's an asset" and that causes us to not be able to sign someone better as a FA? There is an opportunity cost associated with all of this.

As many have stated, there is a highly likely chance that he will be qualified. However if he isn't it is because someone else felt he wasn't an asset either.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
If guys like Mancari and Gragnani are assets, its a very loose wording of the term. Ryan Parent was considered an asset, too. Is Gragnani still an asset if he causes our young d-men in Chicago to play less? Or if we re-sign him because "he's an asset" and that causes us to not be able to sign someone better as a FA? There is an opportunity cost associated with all of this.

As many have stated, there is a highly likely chance that he will be qualified. However if he isn't it is because someone else felt he wasn't an asset either.
What does Parent have to do with anything? Gragnani would be an excellent veteran mentor, at least offensively and would make the Wolves more competitive considering he would easily be their #1 D. Parent was a #5 or #6 guy at best. We signed Mancari for quite a bit just to add some firepower to the farm, why wouldn't we re-sign a better player for cheaper than that?

Old
06-19-2012, 06:52 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:

If they're playing less, but they're winning games they'd have lost without him, and the defensive prospects are being put in situations where they're not being tested to destruction: it's great asset management.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
m9

Quote:
What does Parent have to do with anything? Gragnani would be an excellent veteran mentor, at least offensively and would make the Wolves more competitive considering he would easily be their #1 D. Parent was a #5 or #6 guy at best. We signed Mancari for quite a bit just to add some firepower to the farm, why wouldn't we re-sign a better player for cheaper than that?
Sorry my mistake, I thought Parent had been qualified by us on his last deal.

Regardless, I just don't agree with the thought that some of these middling players are assets of any type. Yes, I realize we need guys to fill out Chicago but if they don't feel that Gragnani has a future on the NHL team then it wouldn't be a shock to see him move on. I'm sure Gragnani still has his eyes on the NHL, not the AHL. If Gragnani's back fine, but if not it's not much of a loss either.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

We need a hard hitting gritty defenseman. Does nobody else see this?

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:08 PM
vector209

Scott Stevens perhaps. I heard he isn't playing for anyone at the moment.

vector209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
Scott Stevens perhaps. I heard he isn't playing for anyone at the moment.
Too bad with todays NHL after dishing a couple of his beautiful hits the man would be banned from the league. But yes, a Scott Stevens type of player.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Yeah, that's right, we should let all our RFAs walk for nothing. That's good asset management.

Unbelievable some people.
Absolutely.

Isn't Weise pretty young anyways? He seems to have some upside.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
Ballard? To bad the refs won't let him use his *legal hip check*. That and of course there's the fact Bowness is in charge of the blueline.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:00 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Ballard? To bad the refs won't let him use his *legal hip check*. That and of course there's the fact Bowness is in charge of the blueline.
Ballard isn't our hardest hitting defenseman, but he's most definitely our "grittiest" defenseman. The guy has a temper. I personally would like to see him stick around next season. I think he brings more to the line up than he gets credit for, overpayment aside.

Edler is our hardest hitting defenseman without a doubt. But he's not nearly consistent enough in that department. He also doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I mean, he would never grab another players head in frustration and smash it against the glass with both hands

Old
06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
biturbo19

Quote:

The bolded is what i might venture has something to do with the situation.

Having a solid framework of established AHL vets to work around is certainly not a negative thing for our prospects. But if signing a guy like MAG essentially for the Wolves means that a guy like Polasek is going to sit in the press box half the season, or if he's going to take away those prime PP developmental minutes from other options...then as a Canucks fan, it's easy to let MAG go.

In the case of a guy like Mancari who was signed primarily as AHL goal scoring support, it was a bit of a different situation as our prospect pool at the AHL level was fairly dismal when it comes to scoring wingers at the time. In that sort of situation, Mancari wasn't really 'taking' ice time from any of our developmental prospects...rather, was facilitating their development by providing a 'finisher' out there, drawing defensive attention, etc. In the case of a guy like MAG, if the Wolves really need a guy to run around like a goofball blowing off defensive responsibilities and shirking physical confrontation, Gragnani may be our guy...but i can't help but think those minutes wouldn't be better served spreading out among our prospects who are still really developing.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Edler is our hardest hitting defenseman without a doubt. But he's not nearly consistent enough in that department. He also doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I mean, he would never grab another players head in frustration and smash it against the glass with both hands
Too bad Ohlund's level of performance declined pretty fast else maybe some of the former's 'mean streak' would've rubbed off on Edler if we kept him on the team.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
In the case of a guy like Mancari who was signed primarily as AHL goal scoring support, it was a bit of a different situation as our prospect pool at the AHL level was fairly dismal when it comes to scoring wingers at the time. In that sort of situation, Mancari wasn't really 'taking' ice time from any of our developmental prospects...rather, was facilitating their development by providing a 'finisher' out there, drawing defensive attention, etc. In the case of a guy like MAG, if the Wolves really need a guy to run around like a goofball blowing off defensive responsibilities and shirking physical confrontation, Gragnani may be our guy...but i can't help but think those minutes wouldn't be better served spreading out among our prospects who are still really developing.
The Wolves had Baumgartner and Parent playing regular minutes this season, both an absolute waste of space. Anyone claiming there's no room or need for MAG is out to lunch. Here are our prospects for the farm next year: Connauton, Sauve, and Polasek. Even if Andersson and Tommernes come over and are good enough then there's still 1 spot left.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:08 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
The Wolves had Baumgartner and Parent playing regular minutes this season, both an absolute waste of space. Anyone claiming there's no room or need for MAG is out to lunch. Here are our prospects for the farm next year: Connauton, Sauve, and Polasek. Even if Andersson and Tommernes come over and are good enough then there's still 1 spot left.
Matheson played 60 games, too.

I suspect that, similar to Weise, if MAG had played 10-11 on the Moose rather than in Buffalo's system, we'd be hearing a very different story about him.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:51 AM
Wisp

Quote:
"hard hitting gritty defenseman" describes Andrew Alberts and Aaron Rome, right?

Seriously, no, we need a steady right handed partner for Edler. Hopefully, with an offensive game and who can help quarter back a powerplay.

I'm really hoping it'll be Shultz.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Gillis confirmed Gragani was qualified.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote