HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

TSN: Bob McKenzie Top 30 Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 12:56 AM
DuklaNation

vCash: 500
No way Grigorenko falls that low unless there is some serious KHL risk that we dont know about. Id take him in the top 8 easily.

DuklaNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
It will be fun to look back on this draft in a few years. I think in someways it will be like every other draft - someone near the top will bust; someone at 15-30 will burst out; someone will slip through the draft cracks and come up with a decent career.
Has anyone taken the time to do a definitive study on past drafts 5 or 10 years hence and posted the results somewhere? That would be very informative.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Eternal Leaf

Grigs falling that much? Not a chance.

At worst, I see him dropping to 7-8. If he gets out of the top 10 then we aren't being told the whole story about Grigs.

That many teams passing over his talent is absurd.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Howe Elbows 9
Caps bandwagoner

vCash: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Why are you guys surprised by Reinharts position? he's done nothing but draw rave reviews and just had a strong playoff run, 4 is a perfectly good position for him
I think much of the surprise regarding Reinhart at #4 simply comes from the fact that he is a late riser (that strong playoff run you mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Leaf View Post

At worst, I see him dropping to 7-8. If he gets out of the top 10 then we aren't being told the whole story about Grigs.

Do you think that it's out of the question that we aren't being told the whole story about him?

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
No way Grigorenko falls that low unless there is some serious KHL risk that we dont know about. Id take him in the top 8 easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Leaf View Post

Like Bob said, It's just because he didn't play well down the stretch after coming off the injury. I don't think he will go until 9th-12th personally, but if a team is willing to take a gamble, he could go higher.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Like Bob said, It's just because he didn't play well down the stretch after coming off the injury. I don't think he will go until 9th-12th personally, but if a team is willing to take a gamble, he could go higher.
A player dropping in the rankings due to poor play because of Mono or injuries isn't anything new (Logan Couture in 2007). Grigs falling out of the top-10 may be a huge blessing for some borderline playoff team.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Thrillho

Send a message via Skype™ to Thrillho
Blujus - 51st
.... But I'm hoping for low 40's

Thrillho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Reinhart is gonna be a stud. Reminds me of Suter.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:49 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

I for one am tired of the undertoned xenophobia towards Russian players.

Nobody talks about Russian factor with Nail Yakupov
yet all we hear with Grigorenko is "Russian factor"

to me it's just lazy and it negatively labels players, I hope whoever picks him he goes to a good organization so all these anonymous scouts, who are likely mostly North American will stop this nonsense. the guy had mono he shouldn't have been ****ing playing, and if you've ever had it, you'd know i'm telling the truth

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Depch

Quote:

to me it's just lazy and it negatively labels players, I hope whoever picks him he goes to a good organization so all these anonymous scouts, who are likely mostly North American will stop this nonsense. the guy had mono he shouldn't have been ****ing playing, and if you've ever had it, you'd know i'm telling the truth
I do think people take that mono in to account. But to me it seems that it has been especially after Combine. Scouts/Teams might have noticed something in him that has caused that. The best scouts have an eye to see the will and glimpse of an eye from a player in face to face, they just feel that this player will do the work and are good because of that. Perhaps Grigorenko was struggling with the question regarding KHL, which would make it a big risk for teams. Perhaps he did not have that drive in the eyes in combine to make him likely to drop out. We don't know that, but the real scouts do who actually get to talk to them and see them in face to face. Some guys like Jarmo Kekäläinen are real good at this and they usually find the right guys. We at HF boards can just speculate the ***t out of stats and on ice performances and are usually pretty much clueless about everything else. But speculating is fun.

For some teams Grigorenko is definately worth the shot in top 10, I could see Anaheim go for him for example or Carolina. But for some teams I'd be scared picking him up when I need some surefire hits from the draft, like Columbus, Montreal, Toronto, Islanders etc.

Depch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:10 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:

We'll see what happens on Friday

It's one thing when people that have no stake in the draft offer up their opinions. It's another when 10 teams pass on a player with top-end talent.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Czechexpert

Quote:

So he has been playing with mono at least for last three seasons...
I don´t doubt that mono severely influenced his game in play off, I respect it but it´s not like he got that label after play off.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:54 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Interesting that Koekkoek is that high and Grigorenko is that low.

These rankings make me think that picks 21-40 are relatively interchangeable this year. Seeing guys like Matheson, Pearson and Di Giuseppe in the top-30 over guys like Sissons, Bystrom, Thrower and Aberg makes me feel like a team will determine their needs here and pick accordingly, rather than picking the best player available.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see one of Subban or Vasilevski fall out of the top-30, nor would it surprise me to see a guy like Kerdiles or Sissons rise into the top-30. The teams between 20 and 30 have their favourites based upon what their organization needs at this point, and will pick accordingly come draft day.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Dan-o16

My NYIsles Dream Scenario:

NYI Trade #4 to Anaheim for #6 and #36

Isles select Reinhart at #6, one of Ville Pokka, Scott Laughton, or Colton Sissons at #34, allowing for home-run swing on Mark Jankowski at #36.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Fulcrum

I hope that Grigorenko's rumour for dropping so much because of KHL is true. CSKA revival could use a top center.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
Do you think that it's out of the question that we aren't being told the whole story about him?
I'm honestly starting to believe the scouts are buying the rumors that he may be 1-2 years older than his listed age. It seems to be the only legit explanation.

And to the dude who said where is the Russian factor stuff with Yakupov, the Oilers board would tell you otherwise. EDM radio has been trying to sell that angle pretty hard the last few days.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Isles select Reinhart at #6, one of Ville Pokka, Scott Laughton, or Colton Sissons at #34, allowing for home-run swing on Mark Jankowski at #36
Something tells me somebody in the first will take a chance with Jankowski

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm honestly starting to believe the scouts are buying the rumors that he may be 1-2 years older than his listed age. It seems to be the only legit explanation.

And to the dude who said where is the Russian factor stuff with Yakupov, the Oilers board would tell you otherwise. EDM radio has been trying to sell that angle pretty hard the last few days.

Yeah - not like he underperformed in the last half of the season and playoffs. It couldn't be that teams are worried about his nationality, competitiveness and bravery - why would a team with a top ten pick worry about that?

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
BillDineen

Button has Girgorenko slipping, HFBoard "experts" laugh.
Scouts polled have Girgorenko slipping, HFBoard "experts" still in denial.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

wow talk about an insult to grigs. he comes over to the q and plays well and he drops lower than a guy who played what 8 games? lol he.might have done better if he had a serious injury

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Button has Girgorenko slipping, HFBoard "experts" laugh.
Scouts polled have Girgorenko slipping, HFBoard "experts" still in denial.
I laugh at the general connection people make on the draft # and how good the prospect actually is. Kuznetsov was drafted 26th, and that is accurate- since he is still not coming over, but the funny part was when people actually thought that he was 26th best of that draft.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
domdo345

You'd think that with so many posts of ppl that want Grigo to fall and make trades to get him at 10-12, there will be a team to will go for his talent before this. I believe the growing environment will dictate his future in the NHL. With good coaches and teammates, it is hard to think he will bust with all the talent he has. Anyway, if it's a consensus here that he'd be a steal at 10-12, there will be at least 1 of the 10 first teams to gamble with him.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
bigdirty

On TSN they mentioned how Grigorenko showed up at the combine wearing a shirt with a big red and white maple leaf on it. I dare say he was sending a message to the GMs with that one.
His playoffs make a lot more sense with the mono thing. Watching him against Halifax he always looked like he was playing his second game of the day or something. He still showed up for those games, you can't blame him for not being 100%.
Funny thing is, if that injury at the WJCs had been more serious, and forced him to sit the rest of the season, Grigorenko would probably be ranked much higher than he is now.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:20 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Like Bob said, the thing about Grigorenko is that he wasn't great either in the WJC or the Q playoffs. He got injured in both, so he said it was more if you bought that it seriously affected his play. For me Grigorenko is certainly a top5, if not a top3 talent in this draft. I don't buy the crap he gets this year, just like I didn't buy the crap Couturier got last year (limited upside, poor skater etc).

It certainly will be an interesting draft, maybe more than other years. Because this year is so unpredictable, and many players on the same level (talent-wise). Kind of hard to predict who will be available where, so you just how to see how the draft unfolds.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
DuklaNation

He was definitely playing hurt at the WJC. Given that scouting is their full time profession, cant they account for these factors given their experience? Opportunity lies ahead.

DuklaNation is online now   Reply With Quote