HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 500
If the respective fates of the Kings and the Preds have taught us anything, it's that defense-first teams can't afford to lose their high-end offensive talent. There's just no way that we can part with Perron; he's too critical to our future.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:53 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
If the respective fates of the Kings and the Preds have taught us anything, it's that defense-first teams can't afford to lose their high-end offensive talent. There's just no way that we can part with Perron; he's too critical to our future.
Tarasenko
Oshie
Schwartz
Stewart
Steen
Rattie

How is Perron "too critical to our future"?

There is only 1 forward on this team that is "too critical" to anything; and that is our Captain David Backes. Everybody else is replaceable. They may be good players, but they are absolutely replaceable players.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:29 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Tarasenko
Oshie
Schwartz
Stewart
Steen
Rattie

There is only 1 forward on this team that is "too critical" to anything; and that is our Captain David Backes. Everybody else is replaceable. They may be good players, but they are absolutely replaceable players.
Can't argue with that assesment. I'd add Oshie as well to the critical to our future.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:30 AM
stlweir

That's what I've heard.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Tarasenko
Oshie
Schwartz
Stewart
Steen
Rattie

Well said. David Perron is a fine player and I'm excited about what he might be able to do provided he stays healthy for a full season, but he isn't irreplaceable.

David Backes and Alex Pietrangelo are the only skaters that I would say cant be replaced. That duo is going to be the collective face of the Blues for years to come.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:58 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Tarasenko
Oshie
Schwartz
Stewart
Steen
Rattie

It's not so much that Perron is "too critical," it's that we're in a timing window where I think it's tough to trade him. On that list you have two very strong two way players, Oshie and Steen, but Perron's shot is clearly better than theirs (his career shooting % is nearly 14%). Others on that list are two rookies, a good prospect and a possible bust.

It's tricky. I mean, if you can't land Garrison but you can land Shane Doan, then you can trade Perron and Cole for Giordano+. In that sense, what you're saying about replaceable is fair. But I think the point about not counting chickens before they hatch when it comes to the Stewart, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Rattie group is also fair. Tarasenko is the one I'm really confident of in that group. Schwartz has high end hockey sense but he has the same size issues that Perron has. Stewart plays small and Rattie still needs time to fill out his frame.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:09 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Old
07-01-2012, 09:38 AM
execwrite

If you define irreplaceable as the building closes and the team folds, then no one is irreplaceable.

Losing Perron for draft picks at this stage would be a huge setback. I don't see the Blues letting that happen.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Well said. David Perron is a fine player and I'm excited about what he might be able to do provided he stays healthy for a full season, but he isn't irreplaceable.

David Backes and Alex Pietrangelo are the only skaters that I would say cant be replaced. That duo is going to be the collective face of the Blues for years to come.

I would add Oshie too.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

Quote:
Tarasenko
Oshie
Schwartz
Stewart
Steen
Rattie

Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Rattie have less than 10 NHL games between them, Stewart didn't do so well in the Hitchcock system, Oshie is probably going to max out a Backes' production, and Steen isn't exactly an offensive dynamo. Now, the first three will probably do well once they break into the league, and Stewart, Oshie, and Steen are certainly productive offensively. But Perron is the only forward we have (currently) that has proven, 'game-breaking' ability at the NHL level, and I just don't see how you can part with that until the situation changes.

In othe words, what Pocketnines said.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I would add Oshie too.
I would like to include Oshie, but something in my gut says he isn't a Blue for life. I could see him being traded whereas I can't fathom Petro or the Cap getting traded

Old
07-01-2012, 10:13 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Perron had the second best scoring pace out of any forward this season. That's after coming off a major injury, learning a new system, and basically not having an offseason to train. This would be a terrible time to trade him. Perron will be that legitimate goal score Blues fans have been clamoring for if he can stay healthy. He's not going to hit 50, but 35 is not out of reach. Perron and Tarasenko on the PP should be very dynamic.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:22 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Wow! Jordan Staal just got paid... 10 years/60 million. Whatever remorse Blues fans felt about not acquiring Staal is surely gone.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Wow! Jordan Staal just got paid... 10 years/60 million. Whatever remorse Blues fans had about not acquiring Staal is surely gone.
came to post the same but that was to expect IMO

Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

6 mil/year was pretty much what I expected him to get. He's going there to be a 1B Center, and that's what 1B centers make. 10 years is a LONNNNGGGG time, but he's still very young and is not injury prone. I'm sure Hurricanes fans are thrilled. I would've been fine with the Blues giving him 6 mil, just not 10 years.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Can't blame Jordan for accepting that much money to play with his brother. I know I would. That being said, today is going to suck. One of our competitors is going to get A LOT better day...While the broke Blues will twiddle their thumbs. I'll take this off-season as a win if they don't re-sign Colaiacovo.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:35 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Can't blame Jordan for accepting that much money to play with his brother. I know I would. That being said, today is going to suck. One of our competitors is going to get A LOT better day...While the broke Blues will twiddle their thumbs. I'll take this off-season as a win if they don't re-sign Colaiacovo.
agreed. a lot of people will probably be dissapointed in a few hours if they expect us to sign one of Suter/Garrison

I just hope the wings fans don`t have too much to celebrate then

IMO its already a pretty good off-season since the Vlad-deal

Old
07-01-2012, 10:35 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
If Detroit doesn't get Suter, I will jump for joy. That will be my win.

If Minnesota can pull it off and land Suter, both Nashville and Detroit will get worse. Hopefully some random team throws him stupid money.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It's not so much that Perron is "too critical," it's that we're in a timing window where I think it's tough to trade him. On that list you have two very strong two way players, Oshie and Steen, but Perron's shot is clearly better than theirs (his career shooting % is nearly 14%). Others on that list are two rookies, a good prospect and a possible bust.

It's tricky. I mean, if you can't land Garrison but you can land Shane Doan, then you can trade Perron and Cole for Giordano+. In that sense, what you're saying about replaceable is fair. But I think the point about not counting chickens before they hatch when it comes to the Stewart, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Rattie group is also fair. Tarasenko is the one I'm really confident of in that group. Schwartz has high end hockey sense but he has the same size issues that Perron has. Stewart plays small and Rattie still needs time to fill out his frame.
And in the short term we still have McDonald(who's currently our best offensive forward) and D'Agostini.

Sorry, there is just no winger on this team, Tarasenko included, that is "too critical" either to the present or future ability of the team to contend. We don't have any top line, game breaking wingers; we have a collection of 2nd line wingers that are extremely interchangeable. We have a surplus on the wing and any one of them should be made available for the right trade. Debate the merit's of a particular trade all you want, just don't try and sell any of our wingers as "too critical" to anything. When you have 8 1/2 wingers(Rattie is the 1/2 for now) that could legitimately hold one of the 6 spots on the top 3 lines, you can afford to move some bodies.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:40 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If Detroit doesn't get Suter, I will jump for joy. That will be my win.

If Minnesota can pull it off and land Suter, both Nashville and Detroit will get worse. Hopefully some random team throws him stupid money.
pretty much. but what if they land Parise? that would be my 2nd fear...just hope they prefer to go after Semin

Old
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

The worst part of this whole thing is the Blues are in the best position to get Suter. Detroit lost Lidstrom so they can only maintain where they were last year. The same applies to Nashville. The Blues are already at a high level and Suter would actually make them better...I hate this organization sometimes.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think if Suter doesn't care about up front money versus money spread out evenly, the Blues have a shot. Since it seems like he's truly looking for the right fit, I still think he'll consider the Blues' pitch. But if teams front load a contract for him and he finds that preferable, the Blues can't really stand a chance.

Garrison's still the #1 guy I'm watching/hoping the Blues can somehow land. Obviously there are plenty of interested parties. Blues are one of them. There's a legitimate chance we get lucky there.

Nashville losing Suter and Detroit not getting either Suter or Garrison are consolation prizes here. Detroit losing Lidstrom and Stuart and not getting anybody legit (let em have Carle by all means!) really weakens that team even if they landed Parise.

I really hope the Blues don't do anything stupid. I definitely don't want Carle, Kuba, etc.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:43 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I think for a team like ours that relies on our defensive system, we need as much offensive talent as possible.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:44 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
And in the short term we still have McDonald(who's currently our best offensive forward) and D'Agostini.

Sorry, there is just no winger on this team, Tarasenko included, that is "too critical" either to the present or future ability of the team to contend. We don't have any top line, game breaking wingers; we have a collection of 2nd line wingers that are extremely interchangeable. We have a surplus on the wing and any one of them should be made available for the right trade. Debate the merit's of a particular trade all you want, just don't try and sell any of our wingers as "too critical" to anything. When you have 8 1/2 wingers(Rattie is the 1/2 for now) that could legitimately hold one of the 6 spots on the top 3 lines, you can afford to move some bodies.
You're arguing against a proposition I didn't argue. You can see from my first sentence in what you quoted.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:44 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
pretty much. but what if they land Parise? that would be my 2nd fear...just hope they prefer to go after Semin
Yeah, but then their defense would be wrecked. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't the same offensively, production wise, so it wouldn't bother me as much.

Closed Thread