HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2012, 02:25 AM
  #301
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I am pretty sure Armstrong will acquire someone before the season. I know he's saying he's "prepared to go with what we have" but what else is he going to say? He doesn't want to look desperate but the Blues have been looking for a d-man for a pretty long time and I don't expect them to just stop.

First of all, it's risky putting Cole on the top pair, and second of all, as another poster said - Armstrong likes depth...would he want to go into the season being one injury away from inserting Jeff Woywitka into the top 6, using Chorney as the 7th, etc? Just don't see it. A player will be added.
I agree that another defenceman will be added. Cole will NOT start the season on the same shift as Pietrangelo, even if they don't add anyone. Polak will be moved up if no one is added.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 05:05 AM
  #302
BlueSinceBirth
Registered User
 
BlueSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I agree that another defenceman will be added. Cole will NOT start the season on the same shift as Pietrangelo, even if they don't add anyone. Polak will be moved up if no one is added.
I disagree. The Blues seem pretty determined to have a lefty and righty on each pair. Moving Polak up breaks up a good pairing in Russel/Polak and also makes Petro play the left side. I know Petro CAN play the left but I really hope they give Cole a shot. It can't be any worse than Cola.

BlueSinceBirth is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 05:08 AM
  #303
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
People talked about how the Kings big forwards pushed the Blues defensive core around and how we needed more size back there.

Cole, at the very least, fills this need. Now you have one "physical" d-man on each pairing with he, Jackman and Polak.

I'd even make a case for Pietrangelo as he isn't the most physical, but at the same time you can't exactly push him around.

In short, if we go into the season with Cole next to Pietrangelo, I wouldn't complain at all.

illninofan* is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 05:29 AM
  #304
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think Armstrong's patience here over the past two seasons is going to be rewarded. I also believe that if the Blues start to look like they're one player away from the Cup toward the trade deadline, that he'd shift into "more aggressive" mode.
I agree with you 2 minute minor. I don't think Armstrong is going to make a Blockbuster trade now. In his own words with JR :

"One of the things that this new system has created is you see after a while rob Peter pay Paul," he said. "If you have a hole, you create another hole to do it. I would rather do it with ( HIGH ) draft picks if I could. That's what I tried to do at the entry draft."

You can never have enought depth and Injuries will occur.

JustOneB4IDie is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
  #305
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Your 2016-17 St. Louis Blues

Halak-Allen

Cole-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Schmaltz
Ponich-Hakanpaa

Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
MacEachern-Oshie-Rattie
Schwartz-Backes-Kurker
Beach-Seaman-Reaves

execwrite is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
  #306
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Your 2016-17 St. Louis Blues

Halak-Allen

Cole-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Schmaltz
Ponich-Hakanpaa

Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
MacEachern-Oshie-Rattie
Schwartz-Backes-Kurker
Beach-Seaman-Reaves
No Polak?

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  #307
tfriede2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Your 2016-17 St. Louis Blues

Halak-Allen

Cole-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Schmaltz
Ponich-Hakanpaa

Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
MacEachern-Oshie-Rattie
Schwartz-Backes-Kurker
Beach-Seaman-Reaves
We'd probably set a record for the most draftees to make the NHL, haha (2012 draft). That would be awesome if those four made it, but I'd wager only two will make the NHL. I also think just one of Ponich/Edmundson will make it. Hakanpaa has a decent chance.

But what happened to Shattenkirk/Polak? I'd assume we traded them in your scenario, but what was our return?

tfriede2 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
  #308
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,600
vCash: 380
Backes is a third line center in 2016? Behind Oshie? Really?

Dolph Ziggler is online now  
Old
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
  #309
ManyIdeas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,505
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Backes is a third line center in 2016? Behind Oshie? Really?
Old veteran leadership 3rd liner

ManyIdeas is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
  #310
Bluesnatic27
Registered User
 
Bluesnatic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
if that's what our team looks like in 2016, I for one, will be pretty happy...except for not having Shattenkirk, I think that's a little odd

Bluesnatic27 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 01:33 PM
  #311
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY
 
Thallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
if that's what our team looks like in 2016, I for one, will be pretty happy...except for not having Shattenkirk, I think that's a little odd
What they didn't tell you is none of them hit their potential and we're rebuilding again

Thallis is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
  #312
rahjmahogany*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger482 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen one mention of the Blues having a budget this year. Last year we heard all about how much we could afford to spend. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we go out and sign Suter or some other big name free agent. Makes you wonder if the new ownership basically gave army a blank check and said go get what you need...
While I at first was furious with the blues yet again not doing a thing in free agency (aside from making the same mistake twice in woywitka.) There really was no one worth signing after Parise and suter. Maybe take a chance on semin so the tank has someone from his neck of the woods to help him feel comfortable in the u.s. but he really isn't the Guy you want to influence younger players as he has been tagged as lazy. I say they trade for Bobby Ryan I don't care how you do it but put together a blockbuster for Ryan and sbisa (if they still have sbisa?)
Maybe trade 2013:1st rounder, 2014 1st rounder, Dagostini, Ty rattie and cole and maybe even fairchild for..
Ryan, sbisa and a second rounder in this years draft.


Last edited by Celtic Note: 07-08-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Uncalled for
rahjmahogany* is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
  #313
rahjmahogany*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
I disagree. The Blues seem pretty determined to have a lefty and righty on each pair. Moving Polak up breaks up a good pairing in Russel/Polak and also makes Petro play the left side. I know Petro CAN play the left but I really hope they give Cole a shot. It can't be any worse than Cola.
they will trade someone but they aren't going to be the team on top. I have a feeling army is going to overpay.I think Cole is ready and our d can be solid. Although he has sucked lately they need to re-sign coco. He is going to have a good year next year and he could be a nice fill in for Cole so he isn't overwhelmed. Plus he and petro are best friends. They have good chemistry together.

rahjmahogany* is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
  #314
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahjmahogany View Post
they will trade someone but they aren't going to be the team on top. I have a feeling army is going to overpay.I think Cole is ready and our d can be solid. Although he has sucked lately they need to re-sign coco. He is going to have a good year next year and he could be a nice fill in for Cole so he isn't overwhelmed. Plus he and petro are best friends. They have good chemistry together.
Find an example of when Army overpaid? Also, what makes you believe Colaiacovo will have a good season next year? I don't care if he and Petro are friends, nothing in the regular season or post season makes it appear that Colaiacovo is ready for action in the NHL. They've said it repeatedly that they are not going to make a trade just to make a trade. I think apart from signing Oshie, and Langenbrunner(or someone similar), we are done for the summer. If in training camp/early season things are clearly not working out, they will try to make a deal.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:44 PM
  #315
Bluesnatic27
Registered User
 
Bluesnatic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahjmahogany View Post
While I at first was furious with the blues yet again not doing a thing in free agency (aside from making the same mistake twice in woywitka.) There really was no one worth signing after Parise and suter. Maybe take a chance on semin so the tank has someone from his neck of the woods to help him feel comfortable in the u.s. but he really isn't the Guy you want to influence younger players as he has been tagged as lazy. I say they trade for Bobby Ryan I don't care how you do it but put together a blockbuster for Ryan and sbisa (if they still have sbisa?)
Maybe trade 2013:1st rounder, 2014 1st rounder, Dagostini, Ty rattie and cole and maybe even fairchild for..
Ryan, sbisa and a second rounder in this years draft.
Although Ryan is a good player, we don't need him, I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks the forwards we have right now are fine and we really don't need a winger like Ryan, and if we have to pay that much to get him, I really would not want to do it. It's probably just me, but I get tired of the Ryan trade talks, I know it's summer and there's not much to do now, but still, to me they get rather dull.

Also on another note, sometimes it's the best idea not to go out and have a shopping spree on free agents, I think the Blues are doing the right thing by not going crazy with money and signing depth players


Last edited by Celtic Note: 07-08-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: QDS Quoted Deleted Sentence
Bluesnatic27 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
  #316
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated
 
Meatwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bi-polar Express
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I agree that another defenceman will be added. Cole will NOT start the season on the same shift as Pietrangelo, even if they don't add anyone. Polak will be moved up if no one is added.
He might. If they don't start Petro in his off side paired with Polak, he might be the best option. Our returning defense is the exact same minus Huskins and Carlolz. I think we can discuss that Cole is an upgrade on Carlolz, and Woywitka/Huskins are pretty much a wash. So right now, at worst, we are exactly where we were last season. Maybe Cole blossoms and becomes that much needed #2 we are all glamoring for. Cole's ceiling is a solid defensive defenseman with some offensive upside, ~30ish pts. I think he can become that Marc Staal type of player. I really believe that if he gets consistent top 6 ice time, he could surprise a lot of people. For right now, the Blues just need him to play 18-19 minutes of ES and a little PK. With Petro playing on the 1st unit PP and PK, Cole doesnt need to play 23-25 minutes yet, he just needs to be an effective even strength partner for Alex. He WILL make some rookie mistakes, but when he's on, Cole can be a very effective player(I just remember him destroying Pittsburg) If he doesn't, Army will make a move or just wait until the trade deadline and pick up a player.


Last edited by Meatwagon: 07-08-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Meatwagon is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 07:27 PM
  #317
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Top pair LD is Cole's job to lose.

execwrite is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 05:07 AM
  #318
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Tough schedule in April

Tue Apr 2, 2013 Predators @ Blues

Thu Apr 4, 2013 Blues @ Lightning

Fri Apr 5, 2013 Blues @ Panthers

Sun Apr 7, 2013 Blues @ Red Wings

Tue Apr 9, 2013 Blues @ Blue Jackets

Fri Apr 12, 2013 Blues @ Blackhawks

Sat Apr 13, 2013 Blackhawks @ Blues

execwrite is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 08:13 AM
  #319
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,010
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Tough schedule in April

Tue Apr 2, 2013 Predators @ Blues win

Thu Apr 4, 2013 Blues @ Lightning win

Fri Apr 5, 2013 Blues @ Panthers win

Sun Apr 7, 2013 Blues @ Red Wings lose

Tue Apr 9, 2013 Blues @ Blue Jackets win

Fri Apr 12, 2013 Blues @ Blackhawks lose

Sat Apr 13, 2013 Blackhawks @ Blues
win




see, that's not that bad

Mike Liut is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM
  #320
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
It will be interesting to see how an aging Red Wing team performs this season. They are a year older and obviously lost several key players.

Who knows what Columbus will look like when/if Nash is dealt.

How will Nashville look without Suter?

stlweir is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
  #321
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,600
vCash: 380
Anyone think we might see Russell with Pietrangelo to start the year? Doesn't force anyone to their off wing and allows Cole to be brought in easier on the third pairing with the very dependable Roman Polak.

Also one of the few guys who didn't completely suck against the Kings

Dolph Ziggler is online now  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
  #322
rahjmahogany*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Find an example of when Army overpaid? Also, what makes you believe Colaiacovo will have a good season next year? I don't care if he and Petro are friends, nothing in the regular season or post season makes it appear that Colaiacovo is ready for action in the NHL. They've said it repeatedly that they are not going to make a trade just to make a trade. I think apart from signing Oshie, and Langenbrunner(or someone similar), we are done for the summer. If in training camp/early season things are clearly not working out, they will try to make a deal.
Halak is a good goalie but we over paid for him. Coco will have a better year BC he had a bad year in a year in which the stl blues were number one in defense. Everyone is panicking over our d which tied the modern day record I believe for fewest goals allowed how exactly do we find ourselves saying we need a defenseman? The only guys that aren't returning are our weakest dmen. That's why coco needs to be signed to a cheaper one year deal to play enough to ease Cole into his first full year.


Last edited by rahjmahogany*: 07-10-2012 at 10:13 AM.
rahjmahogany* is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
  #323
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,600
vCash: 380
JR just wrote an article that makes it sound like a trade is nearing, possibly for Dallas Star captain Brenden Morrow.

Thoughts?

Dolph Ziggler is online now  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:52 AM
  #324
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Anyone think we might see Russell with Pietrangelo to start the year? Doesn't force anyone to their off wing and allows Cole to be brought in easier on the third pairing with the very dependable Roman Polak.

Also one of the few guys who didn't completely suck against the Kings
Nah, Russell had his problems when he was keyed on, too. He just played more protected minutes so you didn't see it much. I really doubt we ever see a pairing like this. I love Russell in his role, but I don't see much to indicate that he can move up.

2 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
  #325
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,600
vCash: 380
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...a4bcf6878.html

There is the link to the story I was referring to for those interested.

Dolph Ziggler is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.