HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Bluesnatic27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahjmahogany View Post
You don't win Stanley cups with "fine" players. And while our forwards all have promising futures, the goal for each team every year is the Stanley cup. And do you honestly believe the blues couldn't use a sizeable goal scorer? And as far as going on free agent shopping sprees, you get what you pay for and our lack of Stanley cups shows how willing our past owners have been to winning. I'm not asking for a spree. But at some point we need an owner that realizes you are going to have to pay for a difference maker. We have drafted the foundation for our cup now we need that one or two established players (which are aquired via trade or free agency) that put us up with the elite cup contending teams.
ok I see your point, but you also don't win Stanley Cups by getting rid of all your core players for just one player, and frankly, that is what we would have to do get Ryan. Look at Colombus, they have/soon-to-be-had one of the greatest physical forwards in the league in Rick Nash who constantly put up 40+ goals, but then they had no depth after him, where has that led them? To the bottom of the standings. If we do what you had proposed and traded to a team that severely needs secondary scoring (=they would ask for Perron+Oshie/Berglund or sombody) then your Stanley Cup dream would now be in Anaheim. Now next years free agency looks much deeper on the things you want right now, but this year does not have what you propose we need.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

ok, the Semin madness didn`t last too long

Pens sign semin 1 year 5.8mil

Old
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Too late. Langenbrunner domino fell and now the Pens have signed Semin for 1yr 5.8M.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:08 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

ok, the Semin madness didn`t last too long

Pens sign semin 1 year 5.8mil

edit:stupid me

Old
07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I'm not sure if the Semin signing is true, but if he doesn't go to Detroit, I won't stop laughing. What an amazing summer for them so far.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm not sure if the Semin signing is true.
nah, seems to be a fake

Old
07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Whoops guess it was fake. Was weird that it was for only one year.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Interesting, Armstrong saying Anthony Peluso could push for a spot which helped make Crombeen expendable.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Interesting, Armstrong saying Anthony Peluso could push for a spot which helped make Crombeen expendable.
Really? I dont know if I see that happening, maybe if some bottom 6 guys get injured I guess.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Sanders with a couple of nuggets:

Quote:
@NormSanders Army on Oshie arbitration: 'Both sides are open to talk, but both sides are preparing for that arbitration..." #stlblues
Quote:
@NormSanders As Armstrong said, if Ian Cole is the sixth guy, 50 percent of fans will like it and 50 percent won't (wanting someone else) #stlblues

Old
07-10-2012, 01:20 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Really? I dont know if I see that happening, maybe if some bottom 6 guys get injured I guess.
Both Korac and Sanders have tweeted it.

Quote:
@lkorac10 Doug Armstrong said the emergence of Ryan Reaves & a chance for Anthony Peluso to push for a spot helped make Crombeen extendable. #stlblues
Quote:
@NormSanders Amstrong lsaid he likeswhat he has in Ryan Reaves and also Anthony Peluso to fill the Crombeen role #stlblues

Old
07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Both Korac and Sanders have tweeted it.
I didnt mean that I didnt believe you, I was just surprised, Peluso has never really impressed me.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:26 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
yeah, can`t see both of em in the line-up
Now that Lang signed for 4th liner money...I'm not so sure. Hitchcock seems to like his guys playing their natural positions, and with Beener gone now it looks like we can pretty much pencil him in as the 4th line rightwing. One things for sure...it's nice seeing some of these vets(Jacks, Etc..) taking discounts to stay in the Lou. Finally we are desirable destination again....woohoo!

Old
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I didnt mean that I didnt believe you, I was just surprised, Peluso has never really impressed me.
It's more likely that it's depth. Peluso with a great camp could get the 14th spot or more likely is a callup if Reaves is hurt/ineffective.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner or Langenbrunner-Nichol-Reaves when Sobotka moves up a line.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

So does the crombeen trade likely mean we'll get to see more Ryan big country reaves?

Old
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
So does the crombeen trade likely mean we'll get to see more Ryan big country reaves?
I agree with P9s on this one, he is #2 rw on the 4th line but he`ll be in if

1)top9 forward is injured and Sobi goes up
2)Langs needs a break
3)the next game is expected to get nasty

so, yes, he`ll see plenty of ice-time and I like it

Old
07-10-2012, 01:53 PM
h22prelude93

@NHL

#DallasStars GM admits he's been active in trade talks, is captain Brenden Morrow a trade candidate? Story: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...id=nhl-rxl-twt

Old
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
BlueDream

Yeah Peluso and also Andrew Murray who we just signed are two guys that could be a 14th forward and play physical/provide energy. I appreciated the character Crombeen brought but we can pay guys cheaper to do similar duties...B.J. was making 1 mil.

Kinda wondering what the Blues will do next. With the speculation about Doan and Morrow, even if they land neither, it sounds like the Blues still want to add a forward - maybe to replace D'Ags? Not sure, but we'll likely see 1-2 more moves possibly.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Dags isn`t as worthless as lot of guys here make him to be
I`d prefer Dags-Steen-Tarasenko line to a Schwartz-Steen-Tarasenko line at the moment because a guy who plays, more or less, at a new position with 2 rookies? really?

but who knows what will happen in the camp...

anyway, Morrow-Steen-Vlad would be an awesome line
I don't think D'Agostini is painted as "worthless" around here all that often, or at least not nearly as much as someone like Jackman has been in the past, but he does have his limitations.

Personally, I see him as a second/third line tweener who doesn't have the game to excel in a 4th line role. IMO his pros are that his speed/shot/release are all top 6 quality, his defensive awareness/positioning in the defensive zone is around average, he's willing to go to the net, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes with the puck, he fits into the Blues system, he can play either wing, and he plays a North-South game.

I think his cons are that he's not a particularly physical player (especially by bottom six standards), that he struggles in physical puck battles, that he needs to improve his forechecking/defense against the breakout, that he's below average at cycling the puck/creating offense off the cycle, and he doesn't have the puck skills of a true top 6 player. He doesn't really have the ability to create offense for himself or others unless it's off the rush, and he doesn't have the cycle/puck possession game to contribute meaningfully to extending the play in the offensive zone. That dings both his offensive and defensive overall value.

He's pretty much the ideal depth player. He's cheap and can fit in almost anywhere without significantly hurting a team, and he has the potential to contribute in a meaningful way in the right situation. If everyone's healthy, however, there will be better options available to the Blues pretty much across the board.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
@NHL

#DallasStars GM admits he's been active in trade talks, is captain Brenden Morrow a trade candidate? Story: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...id=nhl-rxl-twt
This is just recapping JR's piece earlier. Misleadingly written NHL tweet, it's Armstrong admitting he's been active in trade talks, not the Stars GM.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Before Oshie's salary, the actual dollars are 43.25M plus bonuses. Includes Schwartz as the 14th forward (the other Peoria two-way contracts are cheaper than his) and Woywitka as the 7th dman. So we're probably looking at something around ~47M in actual dollars plus bonuses. There's about a 6.25M difference between cap and actual dollars at the moment.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
YokoOno

Blues targeting Brendan Morrow via Trade

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10547

Old
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
The Morrow speculation is odd. During the summer, JR typically posts one piece a day, and today's piece was about the prospects. So a breathless 10am new piece specifically talking about trading for a named player by a beat reporter who rarely speculates, that says to me he heard it from a very solid source directly.

Then there's the Dallas beat reporter who specifically contradicts JR's piece. Odd.

What would the price be? The only defensive piece (besides a prospect, maybe they like Fairchild or Hakanpaa) who could be involved would be Cole, but that would require the Blues to add another roster player. In trade, that puts them at a disadvantage in terms of leverage if they've lost Cole, so it's unlikely unless it's done in concert with a defensive deal. I can't see Polak, Jackman or even Russell (given how Hitch employs him) being involved in a trade.

That leaves forwards, and I don't see a core forward being dealt for a risk, so we're probably talking prospects/futures and it would have to mean Dallas covets someone particular. Maybe they love Rattie and that would be the deal. Maybe it's someone like Sobotka, maybe the Blues would trade their first round pick for Morrow, it is really tough to guess this one because a) it's being denied in the first place and b) we don't know what Dallas would specifically have their eyes on in the Blues' org.
I wondered whether the Morrow rumors were a negotiation tactic with Langenbrunner/Oshie. That doesn't really seem like Armstrong's style, though. Just a weirdly specific rumor from JR.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

So just for idle speculation. Suppose the Blues traded Stewart + Rattie + 1st for Yandle. They make a bid for Doan but if it doesn't work they trade something like Cole + 4th for Morrow. Cole + Stewart = Morrow's $$ and Yandle's money is what they were offering Carle.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Tarasenko
D'Agostini-Steen-Morrow
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner
Reaves, (Murray, McRae, Grachev, Schwartz, Cracknell)

Yandle-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Woyrika/Chorney/Fairchild

Halak/Elliott

Closed Thread