HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
I agree Mod Iowa. I have posted that I wouldn't mind D'Ags being traded for something, but he probably will not and we have no idea how Coach Hitchcock feels about Schwartz. In fact, he probably doesn't know how he feels about Schwartz.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:14 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
In fact, he probably doesn't know how he feels about Schwartz.
Am I the only one visualizing Dark Helmet saying this?

Old
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
And if D'ags isn't traded, do you really think that Hitch would choose Schwartz over D'ags??

Also, is D'ags a 2nd/3rd line tweener or not fit for the top-9? Which is it? As for him being on the "top line" (IMO, as things stand today, i see 3 very equal lines with no obvious 1st line) because of chemistry and balance...duh.
He is a 2nd/3rd line tweener that I don't think fits into our top 9. I agree with the 2nd part of the last sentence. The difference between our "1st line" and our "3rd line" in minimal. They all play just about the same even strength minutes, so it is really our top 9 and the 4th line.

Dags was a healthy scratch multiple times last season, so it's not like he is one of Hitch's favorites. That fact shows that Hitch and the staff are not as high on Dags as some of you think.

I see the lines looking like this:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart.

Dags and Sobotka are good options to fill in for injuries. If Stewart does the same thing as last season, D'Agostini could be a good option to replace him.

D'Agostini just doesn't produce much offensively. It's not like Schwartz is a liability either, he was only a minus for 1 game out of 7 last season. Imagine how he will do after a full training camp getting use to our system and adding strength over the summer.

Schwartz showed that he can already make passes that only McDonald and Perron have shown they can do. He gives us that creativity dimension that can be spread out on every line, that only Perron and McDonald can provide. Schwartz makes us more dangerous, D'Agostini does not.

I'm not saying D'Agostini is a bad player, we have just out grown him.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I agree Mod Iowa. I have posted that I wouldn't mind D'Ags being traded for something, but he probably will not and we have no idea how Coach Hitchcock feels about Schwartz. In fact, he probably doesn't know how he feels about Schwartz.
Hitch wouldn't have mentioned him for the 3rd line center spot if he didn't know how he felt about Schwartz. That is very high praise for someone who has only played 7 NHL games and didn't play center in any of those or in college.

When Hitch put Oshie at center, he admitted that he never saw him play center before, and it was Mellanby who told him to put Oshie at center. That leads me to believe that Hitch has never seen Schwartz play center, so obviously he sees something in him special to consider him for that spot.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Hitch wouldn't have mentioned him for the 3rd line center spot if he didn't know how he felt about Schwartz. That is very high praise for someone who has only played 7 NHL games and didn't play center in any of those or in college.

When Hitch put Oshie at center, he admitted that he never saw him play center before, and it was Mellanby who told him to put Oshie at center. That leads me to believe that Hitch has never seen Schwartz play center, so obviously he sees something in him special to consider him for that spot.
Coach Hitchcock is talking up Schwartz. It's what he does. He is speaking positively about a great prospect.

What is most operative in this situation is how in the heck could a NHL head coach know how he feels about a player who has played only seven NHL games and has been around the NHL for not very long. While feelings change with time, I contend that the Coach is simply talking up Schwartz.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Am I the only one visualizing Dark Helmet saying this?
huh? Not sure what that means.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
He is a 2nd/3rd line tweener that I don't think fits into our top 9. I agree with the 2nd part of the last sentence. The difference between our "1st line" and our "3rd line" in minimal. They all play just about the same even strength minutes, so it is really our top 9 and the 4th line.

Dags was a healthy scratch multiple times last season, so it's not like he is one of Hitch's favorites. That fact shows that Hitch and the staff are not as high on Dags as some of you think.

I see the lines looking like this:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart.

Dags and Sobotka are good options to fill in for injuries. If Stewart does the same thing as last season, D'Agostini could be a good option to replace him.

D'Agostini just doesn't produce much offensively. It's not like Schwartz is a liability either, he was only a minus for 1 game out of 7 last season. Imagine how he will do after a full training camp getting use to our system and adding strength over the summer.

Schwartz showed that he can already make passes that only McDonald and Perron have shown they can do. He gives us that creativity dimension that can be spread out on every line, that only Perron and McDonald can provide. Schwartz makes us more dangerous, D'Agostini does not.

I'm not saying D'Agostini is a bad player, we have just out grown him.
You mean he was a healthy scratch after returning from being out quite a while with a concussion, the Blues had established lines by that point that didn't include D'ags and Hitch had 12 top-9 players to choose from, right? With him now being back to being fully healthy, Arnott gone and Sobotka counted as a 4th liner, D'ags is back up to #9 in the top-9 while Schwartz is #10. Let me ask you again, do you honestly think that if the last top-9 spot comes between D'ags and Schwartz that they would pick Schwartz, assuming no trade occurs?

Old
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
ChicagoBlues

Only a foolish coach would select Schwartz over D'Ags for the top-nine.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:50 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
How do you feel about Schwartz?

My minds in the gutter at the moment.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:51 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
How do you feel about Schwartz?

My minds in the gutter at the moment.
Oh......I guess I'm not very tuned in to pop culture. That looks funny, though. Gives a whole new meaning to, "May The Force be with you."

Old
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
You mean he was a healthy scratch after returning from being out quite a while with a concussion, the Blues had established lines by that point that didn't include D'ags and Hitch had 12 top-9 players to choose from, right? With him now being back to being fully healthy, Arnott gone and Sobotka counted as a 4th liner, D'ags is back up to #9 in the top-9 while Schwartz is #10. Let me ask you again, do you honestly think that if the last top-9 spot comes between D'ags and Schwartz that they would pick Schwartz, assuming no trade occurs?
Quote:
Only a foolish coach would select Schwartz over D'Ags for the top-nine.
Honestly, I think Schwartz gets that spot. If he outperforms Dags during camp, then he gets that spot. I expect him to outplay Dags, and it was either Army or Hitch who said if he is one of the 9 best forwards, then he will have a spot in the top 9.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:55 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
It's a reference from an absolutely hilarious movie (my opinion of course), Spaceballs.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Honestly, I think Schwartz gets that spot. If he outperforms Dags during camp, then he gets that spot. I expect him to outplay Dags, and it was either Army or Hitch who said if he is one of the 9 best forwards, then he will have a spot in the top 9.
Cool.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:13 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
It's a reference from an absolutely hilarious movie (my opinion of course), Spaceballs.

Never saw it.

I was the kinda kid who didn't go with everybody else to the movies to see Star Wars. I refused to go see it. In fact, I saw Return of the Jedi first and then I saw Star Wars. I think I maybe even watched the original trilogy in reverse order.

Then again, while my classmates were listening to Van Halen I had Black Flag cranking.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
stlweir

Again, depth is good. Do you think no one in the top 9 will miss games do to injury?

Old
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
The entire time ive been reading this little debate between you two, ive been waiting for you to inform bleedblue that Dags was hurt and our top 9 was successful, giving Hitch ZERO reason to put him in. You really need to not respond to him, he is over analyzing the offseason and has lost all reasoning. If he thinks that Shwartz is going to play in a top 9 nine role to begin the season over Dags who has scored over 20 goals in a season then let him. Ive learned my lesson, its impossible to get him to understand anything other than what he believes to be true/right. It come down to a proven NHLer who fits into a 2nd or 3rd line or a player whos played all of 7 games. Should be a pretty easy choice, as long as Schwartz isnt just beasting it in the preseason/camp. He needs more development time. End of debate.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:53 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Never saw it.

I was the kinda kid who didn't go with everybody else to the movies to see Star Wars. I refused to go see it. In fact, I saw Return of the Jedi first and then I saw Star Wars. I think I maybe even watched the original trilogy in reverse order.

Then again, while my classmates were listening to Van Halen I had Black Flag cranking.
Spaceballs basically makes fun of Star Wars so in that case, you might actually like it!

Old
06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
The entire time ive been reading this little debate between you two, ive been waiting for you to inform bleedblue that Dags was hurt and our top 9 was successful, giving Hitch ZERO reason to put him in. You really need to not respond to him, he is over analyzing the offseason and has lost all reasoning. If he thinks that Shwartz is going to play in a top 9 nine role to begin the season over Dags who has scored over 20 goals in a season then let him. Ive learned my lesson, its impossible to get him to understand anything other than what he believes to be true/right. It come down to a proven NHLer who fits into a 2nd or 3rd line or a player whos played all of 7 games. Should be a pretty easy choice, as long as Schwartz isnt just beasting it in the preseason/camp. He needs more development time. End of debate.
Or his 9 goals in 55 games was just not very good. People are forgetting how unproductive he was last season.

14 of his points 2 seasons ago came on the powerplay. Does anyone actually believe he will see any type of significant powerplay time with this roster.

It's funny when we say he has a good shot. He has a good shot, it's just he doesn't score very often with it.

Last edited by bleedblue1223: 06-29-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Rumor has it that Dags has a new strength coach, nutritionist, sports psychologist, dog, girlfriend, and mindset on life. Factor in that its a contract year for him and he is now taking his Flintstones vitamins. Therefore he will score 196 goals next year.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
"Spaceballs."

Old
06-30-2012, 12:52 AM
stlweir

If anyone would be dealt out of the core of forwards it is Perron. We'll see what happens.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:59 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

So, heading into free agency tomorrow, here's where we stand. Red denotes legitimate candidate for time in Peoria.

FORWARDS
1. Backes
2. Berglund
3. Sobotka
4. Nichol
5. McDonald
6. Steen
7. Stewart
8. D'Agostini
9. Crombeen
10. Reaves
11. Oshie (official pending)
12. Perron (official pending)
13. Tarasenko (official pending)
14. Schwartz (two way)
15. Grachev (two-way)

Possibles: Langenbrunner, other UFA/trade

DEFENSE
1. Pietrangelo
2. Shattenkirk
3. Polak
4. Jackman
5. Russell
6. Cole
Possibles: Fairchild as maybe 7th (probably not), other UFA/trade

Goal is all set.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:34 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Spaceballs basically makes fun of Star Wars so in that case, you might actually like it!
Maybe I'll watch it. My Ludditic [sic] self didn't even have a TV until I got married. Now I'm a bona fide geek.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
If anyone would be dealt out of the core of forwards it is Perron. We'll see what happens.
How do you figure?

Old
06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
I doubt it; now would be a stupid time to trade Perron. He has come back from a significant injury and was on pace for a 30-30 season, and was our second best offensive threat. In a years time we might consider moving Perron is his value has increased further.

Closed Thread