HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
  #251
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Never seen that used as a noun Delpo does that all the time. Being late to challenge doesn't make one a "suck."

Anyway, glad for Tommy. David had his chances and just seemed to have poor concentration a lot of the match. He didn't quite put points together at times. Maybe just a bit lazy.
You've never heard that before? Maybe it's a Canadian thing. It's not just that he did it late but that he was complaining after and he was really late to challenge.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
  #252
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,698
vCash: 50
Poor end to the first from Baker - losing three straight points at *4-5 to surrender the set. I could almost see that coming. He had great chances to break in Tomic's first three service games, but not much after that.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
  #253
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 4651
Raonic defeats Gasquet in straight sets, looking far more in control in the second set than he did in the first.

kihei is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
  #254
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Milos defeats Gasquet 7-6, 6-3!

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 08:28 PM
  #255
Yes Im Peter Ing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Commentators were on their hands and knees with the magnifying glass looking for flaws in Raonic to nitpick.

Fun match, though.

Yes Im Peter Ing is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
  #256
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Im Peter Ing View Post
Commentators were on their hands and knees with the magnifying glass looking for flaws in Raonic to nitpick.

Fun match, though.
He was choking a few times in the match. I don't have any problems with what they said because it was true, they also complimented him heavily.

Next up, Baghdatis.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
  #257
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Poor end to the first from Baker - losing three straight points at *4-5 to surrender the set. I could almost see that coming. He had great chances to break in Tomic's first three service games, but not much after that.
Have not said this in a while, but Baker's game seems to be better suited on the clay courts. Have not heard that about an American in years.

My bro is in Vegas this week, anyone got any long shot US Open picks for me? He said Serena is 1-1 at his hotel to win it Was thinking about Kivitova at 10-1, but is Serena really going to lose????

17futurecap is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:56 AM
  #258
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Have not said this in a while, but Baker's game seems to be better suited on the clay courts. Have not heard that about an American in years.

My bro is in Vegas this week, anyone got any long shot US Open picks for me? He said Serena is 1-1 at his hotel to win it Was thinking about Kivitova at 10-1, but is Serena really going to lose????
I agree that Baker's best surface is definitely clay.

How about Kerber as a super long shot? Her odds must be astronomical. But, no, I wouldn't do it. I can't imagine Serena is going to do anything but absolutely ravage her competition.

kihei is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 05:45 AM
  #259
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,099
vCash: 50
Nice win for Raonic. He is up today around 2:30 EST.

Djokovic, Murray and Federer all play today (in that order).

Tuggy is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
  #260
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Nice win for Raonic. He is up today around 2:30 EST.

Djokovic, Murray and Federer all play today (in that order).
Is Sportsnet1 going to show Raonic's match?

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:36 AM
  #261
Ceremony
Just don't forget
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71,065
vCash: 499
Nadal confirms he won't play at the US Open. Easier to add to the Olympic Gold for Murray then

Ceremony is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
  #262
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 178,150
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/sta...61704875749376
Quote:
Bummer. RT @usopen: Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the 2012 @usopen. Official statement to follow. #usopen

Francesa is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:38 AM
  #263
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,698
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Nadal confirms he won't play at the US Open. Easier to add to the Olympic Gold for Murray then
Just saw that. His body clearly doesn't appreciate playing on hard courts anymore.

Murray will likely take the #3 ranking after the Open.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
  #264
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 1340
Nadal dodging doping testing once again. He'll play a couple more of French Opens and retire.

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
  #265
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,485
vCash: 500
Does the US Open seed strictly according to APT rankings or do they have some leeway with regards to it? If it's the former then obviously going in ranked #1 is a huge incentive for Federer and Djokovic in order to not have Murray in their half of the draw.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
  #266
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,698
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Does the US Open seed strictly according to APT rankings or do they have some leeway with regards to it? If it's the former then obviously going in ranked #1 is a huge incentive for Federer and Djokovic in order to not have Murray in their half of the draw.
Seeds 3 and 4 can always land on either side of the draw. It's just as likely to be 1-3 as 1-4. So while they seed according to the rankings, the placement of the seeds is randomized so that there aren't always the same matchups in every tournament. Also to ensure they don't get a situation like we just saw at the badminton women's doubles where someone tanks to manipulate his ranking into a favorable matchup in big tournaments.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
  #267
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,099
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Is Sportsnet1 going to show Raonic's match?
Not sure but I would assume so.

Tuggy is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
  #268
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Seeds 3 and 4 can always land on either side of the draw. It's just as likely to be 1-3 as 1-4. So while they seed according to the rankings, the placement of the seeds is randomized so that there aren't always the same matchups in every tournament. Also to ensure they don't get a situation like we just saw at the badminton women's doubles where someone tanks to manipulate his ranking into a favorable matchup in big tournaments.
Got it. Any chance Tsonga passes Ferrer for 4th seed before the USO?

JMDP is obviously a big wild card who could throw a wrench into the path of one of the top seeds.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
  #269
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,698
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Got it. Any chance Tsonga passes Ferrer for 4th seed before the USO?

JMDP is obviously a big wild card who could throw a wrench into the path of one of the top seeds.
Sadly not. Tsonga withdrew from this tournament after he had a car accident and injured his knee. Ferrer is safely ahead and there won't be any more opportunities for Tsonga to make up the deficit, even if he plays Winston-Salem next week as planned.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:19 AM
  #270
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,673
vCash: 50
Gutted that Nadal's career is being hampered by his knee injury.

Looking forward to seeing the draw next week.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:37 AM
  #271
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,099
vCash: 50
Berdych can pass Tsonga if he wins Cincinnati, but not Ferrer.

Tuggy is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
  #272
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,074
vCash: 966
I'm willing to bet that Roger gets Ferrer in his half. He always seems to get the breaks. He's struggled against Rafa in his career....so guess what? He always played Novak in semi-finals.

Novak Djokovic is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:49 PM
  #273
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 4651
Haas loses the first set to Del Potro, 7-5; Tommy looks a little off his game at the moment. But who could blame him given all the tennis that he has played lately?

Del Potro, gaining confidence, breaks for 3-2...and despite a break point in the final game, Tommy goes quietly the rest of the way, 6-2.

He's had quite a run since Halle: one championship, two finals, and a quarterfinal. Not against cupcakes either: his wins in this streak include top 20 players Federer, Berdych, Simon (twice), Cilic, Fish, and Kohlschreiber, and top 40 players Granollers, Tomic, F Mayer, Stepanek, and Nalbandian (twice).


Last edited by kihei: 08-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
kihei is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:51 PM
  #274
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,698
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I'm willing to bet that Roger gets Ferrer in his half. He always seems to get the breaks. He's struggled against Rafa in his career....so guess what? He always played Novak in semi-finals.
What? You know for most of those tournaments Rafa and Fed couldn't be in the same half. It's only the last six that they could have played against each other. The draws have been especially hard on Novak, but it has not been easier for Fed either to get Novak in his half rather than Murray (including and before the 2011 AO).

Deficient Mode is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
  #275
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field
 
Deficient Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38,698
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Haas loses the first set to Del Potro, 7-5; Tommy looks a little off his game at the moment. But who could blame him given all the tennis that he has played lately?
Terrible game from him at 5-5. Lack of first serves didn't help.

2-2 30-30 in the second and he totally loses sight of a deep overhead, not even hitting hit. Mis-hit forehand off a really deep backhand and Delpo gets the break.

Deficient Mode is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.