HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 01:44 PM
kihei

vCash: 2003
So I think that after a very slight shift in points this week, Roger's lead over Nole for #1 is down to 175 points. Paris is potential bad news for Roger, though, as he has 1000 points to defend and Djokovic has only 180. So if Nole gets to the semi finals, he will pull ahead by a very slim margin (like 5 points in the unlikely event I have this figured out correctly) no matter if Roger goes on to win the tournament.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

vCash: 500
Tough draw for Nole... I like Ferrer's chances of getting to semi-finals at least.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Fed wasn't going to be Year End #1 anyway. Any hope he had for that was quashed in Shanghai. He has wisely - and predictably - withdrawn from Bercy. No way he would play three straight weeks with the way he schedules.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
kihei

Damn it. I did my handicapping last night for the pool, and thought Janowicz matched up beautifully against Kohlschreiber of that surface, and then chicken out and didn't pick him. Idiot. I did take Dimitrov over Melzer, so we'll see how that goes.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

So Novak has clinched the #1 spot. WOOO! Two years in a row!

Old
10-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Damn it. I did my handicapping last night for the pool, and thought Janowicz matched up beautifully against Kohlschreiber of that surface, and then chicken out and didn't pick him. Idiot. I did take Dimitrov over Melzer, so we'll see how that goes.
Kohli has been bad since the US Open. Glad Jerzy could get a main draw win here though.

I also think Dimitrov will pull that one out.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
kihei

Yes! And Dimitrov delivers. Ain't due diligence grand. My chinchilla might not have picked that one.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
kihei

Janowicz over Cilic so far, 7-6, 2-1. Neither having any luck on the other's serve (Cilic just faced the first break point of the match). Cilic looks brittle (what else is new?) and Janowicz looks big and awkard, but so far effective. Odd feature of his game is that he has the wingspan of a pterodactyl but almost never comes to the net (just once so far)....Janowicz who has been serving like a house afire all day gets the break for 5-2...and in a snap it's over. Jerzy must have first served at close to 90% that set, and Cilic never looked like a possible comeback might have struck him as a good thing.

Last edited by kihei: 10-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
kihei

Igor "Sizzling" Sijsling is living up to his famous nickname so far with an early break against Dolgopolov, 4-3

Old
10-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Quote:
Odd feature of his game is that he has the wingspan of a pterodactyl but almost never comes to the net (just once so far)...
That's true for many if not most tall players, but I've seen matches where he has come in a lot. Against Mayer at Wimbledon for example he came in 71 times. That's quite a lot even over five sets.

Anyway, so glad he won. Streaky player, but a lot of fun to watch.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Good win for Sijsling. Dolgo showed off the full array of his self-destructive abilities.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
That's true for many if not most tall players, but I've seen matches where he has come in a lot. Against Mayer at Wimbledon for example he came in 71 times. That's quite a lot even over five sets.

Anyway, so glad he won. Streaky player, but a lot of fun to watch.
I'm astounded. He seldom looked like the thought of coming in even crossed his mind. The only time he came in was for an easy, outright putaway, which, funnily, he turned into an extremely acute, net-hugging angled volley which he was damn lucky to make.

Eager Igor (his other famous nickname) just trounced Dolgopolov. Didn't watch the second set, as Igor is a rather frumpy player to watch. Perhaps the bad Alexandr showed up; he was looking a little petulant even in the first.

Last edited by kihei: 10-30-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 11:12 AM
kihei

It looked like a tight match on paper but Querrey is off to a 4-0 lead over a sluggish Verdasco....who calls it a day at 1-1 in the second.

Llodra, with his efficient serve and volley game clicking on all cylinders, easily takes the second set against Gimeno-Traver for the match.

Last edited by kihei: 10-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM
kihei

Nishikori wins an interesting first set in a tie breaker over Paire. For much of the set, Paire played clever tennis, giving a tentative Nishikori a lot of different things to think about. Despite that Kei had numerous break opportunities but couldn't convert. He sort of limped into the tie breaker at which point his opponent went completely off the boil.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

First time these two have played. It seemed Nishikori was sort of probing Paire's game that first set, trying to attack his frail forehand without having to hit to his backhand and generally to understand Paire's unconventional game. Looks like he has figured things out now.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Paire at 41% on first serve and hit 36 unforced errors. Pretty typical stuff for him.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM
kihei

Quote:
Paire at 41% on first serve and hit 36 unforced errors. Pretty typical stuff for him.
He looks so vulnerable on his forehand. He gets his feet in such odd positions sometimes and then his swing gets all messed up trying to compensate. I thought he did some good things in the first set, trying to keep Kei from getting in a groove, but Benoit really needs to work on his technique on his backhand. His serve is a work in progress, too; even when he gets it in, he often seems not to generate the power that he should. It's like he is still getting used to his own body.

Last edited by kihei: 10-30-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
kihei

For some reason Benneteau and Tsonga usually have close matches, and this one is no different at a set apiece....3-2 on serve for Tsonga with me perplexed as usual by why he just isn't crushing this guy....Tsonga is serving very well this set, but has yet to make much effort to crack Benneteau's serve. Who knows why?...Benneteau generously gift wraps the first three points of his service game and Tsonga breaks. Now serving for the match...and, of course, Tsonga, displaying the concentration of an eight year old, is immediately broken back--sometimes I just hate watching this guy **** around.

Last edited by kihei: 10-30-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Quote:
He looks so vulnerable on his forehand. He gets his feet in such odd positions sometimes and then his swing gets all messed up trying to compensate. I thought he did some good things in the first set, trying to keep Kei from getting in a groove, but Benoit really needs to work on his technique on his backhand. His serve is a work in progress, too; even when he gets it in, he often seems not to generate the power that he should. It's like he is still getting used to his own body.
He doesn't need to work on his backhand. That's actually the biggest strength of his game. He gets massive pace off that side and he can move it around well too. His forehand is a terrible shot. I think he just has a horrendous wrist action on it and gets poor racquet head speed. His serve is a relatively terrible shot, too. For someone of his height to average barely 50% FS over the year - dead last in the ATP stats - is inexcusable. I don't know about his body; he actually looks really well coordinated - perhaps the beset mover on tour at his height. He just has a poor technical foundation. It would be nice if he could fix up his game, but I don't think he has the temperament or the patience to do so.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
kihei

Quote:
He doesn't need to work on his backhand. That's actually the biggest strength of his game. He gets massive pace off that side and he can move it around well too. His forehand is a terrible shot. I think he just has a horrendous wrist action on it and gets poor racquet head speed. His serve is a relatively terrible shot, too. For someone of his height to average barely 50% FS over the year - dead last in the ATP stats - is inexcusable. I don't know about his body; he actually looks really well coordinated - perhaps the beset mover on tour at his height. He just has a poor technical foundation. It would be nice if he could fix up his game, but I don't think he has the temperament or the patience to do so.
Slip of the tongue, meant forehand. I don't proofread enough. I was thinking of his use of his body more in terms of his service motion.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
kihei

Tsonga, after one horrendous decision on a drop shot, shows his skill in the tie breaker and finally wins the match. Harder than it needed to be, though.

Seppi/Berdych up next. Will be interesting to see what Berdych's compete level is like in this tournament. Too bad I won't see this match as it looks like it might have some potential to get interesting.

Last edited by kihei: 10-30-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Glad that Jo won regardless of the difficulty. He needs something to build on for the WTF. Hopefully he makes at least the semis here. I'm worried he could drop out of the top ten early next year.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
kihei

Quote:
Glad that Jo won regardless of the difficulty. He needs something to build on for the WTF. Hopefully he makes at least the semis here. I'm worried he could drop out of the top ten early next year.
Really? I can kind of see you point, though since the US Open debacle, except for his loss to Malisse in Valencia, he has had decent results. But he does look like he needs a good shake. Of course, I always think that he needs a good shake. Do you see any particular problems apart from his usual in-match inconsistency or breaks in concentration that herald a steeper decline?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Quote:
Really? I can kind of see you point, though since the US Open debacle, except for his loss to Malisse in Valencia, he has had decent results. But he does look like he needs a good shake. Of course, I always think that he needs a good shake. Do you see any particular problems apart from his usual in-match inconsistency or breaks in concentration that herald a steeper decline?
He has had decent results, but he's defending 600 points here, 800 points at the WTF, and 250 points in Doha. If he doesn't come close to duplicating those results, he'll be on the brink of falling out.

I agree that he mostly just "needs a good shake." Hopefully his new partnership with Roger Rasheed will supply that shake, but we'll see how well he responds to him. Yeah he has had some poor losses this year - Klizan and Malisse - but mostly what disappoints me is the lack of top 10 scalps - even in matches that were there for the taking: against a struggling Nadal in Miami, against Djokovic at Roland Garros, against Isner in Winston Salem, and most recently against Berdych in Stockholm.

I don't see a decline in his ability really, but usually in past years he would have won some of those matches. Like you said, it's mostly mental. It would be nice if he could develop more of a plan B on slower courts I guess.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:32 AM
kihei

^^^^^
When we discussed him a few months ago and I said I didn't understand his game, I think the more accurate way of putting that is I don't understand his head. I wouldn't quite go so far as to say that he plays a lot of dumb tennis, but I do think he plays a lot of inattentive tennis. He seems to go all fuzzy concerning the matters at hand sometimes. I would describe him as a power baseliner with occasionally Federer-like instincts to get to the net, even to play serve and volley frequently. That approach combined with his athleticism and talent should lead to more success than it does. And the reasons why it doesn't is what makes him such an enigmatic tennis player. Especially given your recounting of his points vulnerability in the next little while, clearly it is possible that he could drop out of the top ten. But I think it is also possible that he could surprise everybody and still win a major, though the window for doing so will be beginning to close in the not too distant future. I don't think unless he gets a brain transplant that he is going to change too much at this stage, though. I think he is always going to somehow seem like an underachiever, one of the primary guys that will come up in a discussion of the best players never to win a Slam.

Closed Thread