HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Easy 200 points for Roger so far. Only one point lost on first serve, four service breaks, 6-3, 4-1. Maybe he doesn't like Janko....quick finish, 6-3, 6-1.

Last edited by kihei: 11-06-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old
11-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Congrats on the successful predictions kihei. Funny that; the only predictions I remember are the ones you got dreadfully wrong about a certain someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Easy 200 points for Roger so far. One point only lost on first serve, four service breaks, 6-3, 4-1. Maybe he doesn't like Janko.
Maybe Mirka told him to beat Tipsy extra bad for slating the WTA time and again.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:36 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Congrats on the successful predictions kihei. Funny that; the only predictions I remember are the ones you got dreadfully wrong about a certain someone.
Hmmm...I'm having trouble remembering...Ferrer...no?...Cilic...definitely not....Azarenka....don't think so? No, I'm pretty sure it's somebody on the men's tour? Name just escapes me, though--one of the older guys, perhaps, from some place with mountains? I've got it! Wawrinka!

Old
11-06-2012, 09:55 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008 View Post
Wow Bravo! (And I mean it, this was not an easy year to prognosticate)
Thanks, Cruiser. Where you been lately? Hope you pop in more frequently in '13.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Federer's win of course broke Lendl's record for most overall wins at the Year End Championships with 40. Seems he's breaking some kind of record every month these days.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
kihei

Ferrer gets the first break, 4-1....Del Potro taking a long time to get into gear or just having an off day/David's not doing anything that special but is in control of the set 5-2...incredibly easy set for Ferrer, who only lost something like a half dozen points in winning it. Juan Martin is making David's life easy so far.

Second set: On serve 2-1 as Del Potro holds in a service game that took nearly twelve minutes to play. His play is still uneven, though he played some of the big points in that game with an authority lacking in the rest of the match. Trouble is he double faulted and botched a few big points, too...he breaks David in the next game for 3-1. Should help his confidence....now at 5-2, still in doubt, though neither player seems to have much energy to mount a serious challenge to the other at the moment...again, JM plays just enough dominant points to hold onto serve and take the set, 6-3

Third set: so this for the most part lackluster match goes to a deciding set....and David gets a quick, opportunistic break for 2-0...now 3-0 with Juan Martin back to being a passive participant....Del Potro wakes up in a big way and pounds his way convincingly to an unexpected (by me, anyway) break, so we are back on serve 4-3...but at 5-4, Ferrer breaks Del Potro at love to take the set and the match. I thought David might be the more tired player today given his run in Valencia and Paris, but it sure looked the other way around. A flurry of impressive winners here and there from Juan Martin could not disguise the fact that he was far from his best today.

Last edited by kihei: 11-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 08:04 AM
kihei

A brilliant running forehand allows Murray to break in the first game, 1-0 Andy....Andy has lost only one point in three service games, and that on a double fault; meanwhile, Nole winner/unforced error ratio is 2/11 with most of the misses coming on the backhand. Andy started the match ready to play from the first point; Nole is still finding his rhythm, 4-3...is that Peter Gabriel in Murray's camp? Looking a little more grizzled these days if it is....first set to Murray for whom things could hardly have gone better; Novak needs to let that set go and welcome a clean slate.

Second set: 2-1 Novak on serve. Andy had a chance for a break in the third game but couldn't convert....3-2 with Nole looking much better on second serve (where he won only 25% of the points in the first set)...Nole finally gets a break point and Murray rushes the net prematurely, 4-2...and Nole wins the set with crisp, efficient tennis, 6-3. Seems to be a bit of a pattern with these two: Andy first out of the gate, and then Nole catches up. Third set looks like a toss up to me.

Third set: But the start of the set is not close at all as Novak raises his game and Andy loses concentration; Nole has the break at 2-1...Murray flirts with disaster again on serve but manages to hold a ten-minute service game, Nole still up a break at 3-2. Nole has cut down dramatically at backhand errors which must have been in the high teens after the first two sets; Andy is only infrequently getting the opportunities to control play that were so evident in the first set...Murray saves another break point in holding a service game that was hard fought and well played by both players, 4-3....Andy picks the perfect time to raise his game and earns a break to even the set at 4-4. Lots of controversy with line calls today....Murray consolidates the break for 5-4. A graphic showed that Nole has won 51 baseline points and Andy 50--a very accurate snap shot of the match...Nole's turn to pressure Andy into a late break, 6-5 with Djokovic serving for the match....Nole allows two break points but then wins four straight points to take the set and the match, 7-5.

Momentum seemed to shift late in the final set with the slightest breeze. Too many mistakes to be a classic, but an entertaining and very even match. Perhaps, a preview of the final.

Last edited by kihei: 11-07-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old
11-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
Toss-up for this third set. Both players will need a strong hold to open if they want to win.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Good quality match but a bit of an error fest nonetheless. Surprising that Novak let the break slip away in the third but he hasn't been able to maintain a high level of aggressive tennis for very long in just about any match this year.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
kihei

Roger off to a good start, though it took him 12 minutes to consolidate his early break, 3-0...went to make a coffee and it's 4-4 as David is dogged as usual...Roger breaks in the 10th game to win a set in which he only managed to get 40% of his first serves in.

Last edited by kihei: 11-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old
11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Cruiser008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Thanks, Cruiser. Where you been lately? Hope you pop in more frequently in '13.
Relocated to the US over the summer and generally had a lot going on, so didn't follow the non-majors too closely. Enjoyed watching Roger break the record though, and great to see Murray finally break through as well.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
kihei

Nole up a quick break, with Berdych being the one that is struggling to get into the match, 3-1...and Djokovic breaks again, for 4-1. He looks very sharp....and he closes out a one-sided set, 6-2. Tomas is having one of those days where he gets the ball back but does little to pressure any aspect of Nole's game (though I'm only sporadically paying attention so far this week, it seems like there has been a lot of tired-looking tennis on display this week--not too surprising, I guess).

2nd set: Nole continues to have an easy time of it against an unimaginative Berdych, Djokovic up a break at 2-1....Berdych shows a little gumption after all and gets the break right back, though, 2-2...5-4 as Nole's game drops a bit. Funny thing: so far Berdych hasn't managed to serve particularly wide to the ad court, but he keeps going there--seems like a matter of time until Nole tees off more ferociously than he has been...they sort of stumble into a tie breaker...what a complete doofus. How did he lose that? Berdych plays his best and most aggressive tennis of the day to take a 5-1 lead in the breaker against a very indifferent Nole. From serving at 5-2 Tomas contrives to lose six of the next seven points to blow what looked like a sure thing set. The only word that I can think of to describe his play in that stretch: stupid.

Last edited by kihei: 11-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Not my favorite player but another guy who peaked in 2003 - the first year I seriously followed the tour - gone. I believe that makes three in as many months.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:38 PM
kihei

Murray survives a little Tsonga scare in the second set to win the match anyway. Tsonga blew a set point in the second set before quickly capitulating with woefully inept play in the tie breaker. What does a Tsonga scare amount to? Him going "boo," apologizing and quickly vanishing. In fairness, he only had 200 points on the line, but this performance is still too characteristic of how it usually goes with him. I'm glad to have seen the last of Jo-Wilfried and Berdych for the season.

If Del Potro and Ferrer win tomorrow, it looks complicated determining who will go forward, as Del Potro will have beaten Federer who will have beated Ferrer who will have beaten Del Potro. As I understand it Djokovic wins his group, with Murray second, and Fed is guaranteed going forward, but which of Ferrer and Del Potro go forward and in what order is dependent upon tomorrow's results.

Last edited by kihei: 11-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

For Ferrer to advance, he needs both to beat Tipsarevic and to have Federer beat Del Potro. Any other scenario and Del Potro advances instead.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:14 AM
kihei

^^^^^^
Del Potro's chances are looking up then, as he takes the first set tiebreaker. Just a few games to go on, but it looks like a lot of the matches this week: too many mistakes mixed in with patches of good play. I thought Juan Martin has been serving really well, yet it is Federer who did not allow a break point that set. Odd feeling, as I am rooting for DP, not Roger, because I think DP has a better chance than Ferrer of knocking off someone in the next phase.

In the second, Fed goes up a break right away, 2-0. Set to Roger: efficient, methodical, business-like. You'd think he would get bored, but he never seems to do so.

Third set: JM's turn to get the quick break, on his first break point of the match, too, 2-0. More opportunity than this you can't ask for...with JM up 4-1 now, Roger isn't folding but he doesn't look like the 200 points for a win are worth draining any more energy from the important matches to come....and uneventful the rest of the way as JM moves forward and David's fine season is over except for what is now an exhibition match with Janko later in the afternoon.

Interesting stat: winners/unforced errors for Roger: 43/42.

Last edited by kihei: 11-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old
11-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Dreadful match - and the form he has shown the past several months - doesn't bode well for Roger's chances. Honestly, I would rather he played Djokovic first, but for that to happen, Tipsarevic would have to beat Ferrer.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Vamos Rafa
°Vamos!

Is Del Potro the token non-European player in this tournament?

Old
11-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

What do you mean by "token"? He didn't make it because the ATP wanted a semblance of geographic diversity, even though he is the only non-European player. The field here isn't arbitrary.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:34 PM
kihei

I'll be surprised if we get something other than a Djokovic/Murray replay. I expect the same results, too.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Delpo-Djokovic should be interesting. If Novak plays like he can, he will win, but he's been so "moody" all year which makes me nervous.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

I think Federer and Djokovic will go through. Fed has shown nothing the past few months to warrant picking him over Murray, but I think he'll step up his game today when it counts. He beat Murray here pretty handily in 2009 and 2010 - when he wasn't markedly better than he is now.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:53 AM
kihei

Great start. Nole is really in form, but DP is staying even so far, 3-2...Del Potro, taking advantage of Nole's second serve the last couple of games, gets a well earned break, 5-4 and holds for the match. JM took 12 of the last 13 points in the set, as Nole cooled off considerably from his impressive start.

2nd set: nothing going right for Nole as Del Potro breaks for 2-1, taking advantage of one of several opportunities that he has had in this set already. JM is winning more than his share of long rallies, as Nole in misfiring off both wings in key moments...but this time JM can't consolidate and Nole may be waking back up, 2-2...Nole gets a second break and serves for the set in this back and forth, up and down, hit or miss set that now resembles most of the matchs played this week. Nole holds easily for the set. Crisis over for Novak? Not necessarily.

3rd set: an extremely loose service game from JM leads to an easy break for Nole. JM looked like a spent force in that game, 2-1...now 5-2...and the match is over.

Last edited by kihei: 11-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 09:21 AM
MsWoof

Go Juan Martin!! Just checked in at 4 all, 15 all and saw him hit that beauty passing shot and then he went on to break. What the hell is Djok doing with the ball between the legs attempt? He had time to run around and make the shot. Now he doubles for 15-40. Looks disinterested and DP looks great!

Edit: Well, crap. I got back home to see they're in the third and Djok is up a break and has won the last 11 points. What happened?

Last edited by MsWoof: 11-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 10:36 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Go Juan Martin!! Just checked in at 4 all, 15 all and saw him hit that beauty passing shot and then he went on to break. What the hell is Djok doing with the ball between the legs attempt? He had time to run around and make the shot. Now he doubles for 15-40. Looks disinterested and DP looks great!

Edit: Well, crap. I got back home to see they're in the third and Djok is up a break and has won the last 11 points. What happened?
Nole went into the doldrums for awhile, but JM didn't keep him down when he had the chance. It seems like one of those matches where only one player gets to be confident at any given time. After a terrific start, a lot of spotty play and questionable tactics from both players.

Closed Thread