HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 01:27 AM
kihei

vCash: 50
Oh, I forgot to mention. Fog played doubles first thing yesterday morning, and I watched him warm up. No way that guy is 5' 10.'' Anyway, he looked like there were places that he would rather be, which, of course, given the immediate circumstances, I could easily identify with. I decided (gasp) to stay for the first game only to watch the slow starting Fog contribute three unforced errors to its loss. To my utter revulsion and horror, I found I actually had to sit through three entire games of doubles, not just one, because the heartless ushers wouldn't let anyone leave during the quickie court change. I'm not even sure whom Fog and Monaco played; I assume their opponents were just a couple of bipeds in tennis player costumes. Mercifully the games ended quickly before any further damage could be done to my aesthetic sensibilities, and I fled with nary a backward glance. Looking forward to Fog on a singles court tomorrow, though, that's for sure.

Last edited by kihei: 08-07-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old
08-07-2012, 04:12 AM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
Enjoyed watching the matches on tennis channel today. Outside of the Americans, always cheer for the young players from the tournament's country. It was nice to see Pospisil win after Polansky lost a tough three setter. I have a hard time watching Tomic, find him boring, not sure why. Donald Young is going to fall pretty hard if/when he loses first round at the Open as he had a deep run there last year.

Really looking forward to Haas/Nalbandian this afternoon.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Tuggy

Nice win last night for Pospisil. When he didn't serve it out at 5-4, I really thought that was it. But he showed heart and stuck with it and gutted it out. He was all smiles afterwards.

He is right back at it today against Monaco. Raonic plays today against Troicki and Dancevic against Kukushkin.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

vCash: 681
What a guy this Fog: he even tempted kihei to watch doubles. They beat a team featuring Wimbledon champion Jonathan Marray - not a bad win.

Tomic plays Djokovic next. I hope Nole shows up mentally: he has actually struggled against Tomic's style of play in their previous matches, and it would be a travesty if dear Bernie registered a win against him. I think he'll be fine though. Tomic just ended a 7 match losing streak, and it took someone like Berrer to do it.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:46 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
What a guy this Fog: he even tempted kihei to watch doubles. They beat a team featuring Wimbledon champion Jonathan Marray - not a bad win.

Tomic plays Djokovic next. I hope Nole shows up mentally: he has actually struggled against Tomic's style of play in their previous matches, and it would be a travesty if dear Bernie registered a win against him. I think he'll be fine though. Tomic just ended a 7 match losing streak, and it took someone like Berrer to do it.
To Berrer's credit, he did anything but roll over, though. Despite the diminished field, Nole is in one hell of a tough quarter. His likely road: Tomic, Nishikori, Del Potro, Tsonga, and Murray. Nalbandian/Haas is by far the match of the day. Fog has a winnable match against Yu who is almost as bad on hard courts as he is.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:41 PM
MsMeow

Nalbandian sucks. He gave that last game up. I wish he would just retire.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Tuggy

Raonic wins in straight sets. Potential match with Murray awaits.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:20 PM
17futurecap

Kihei- Did you get to see any of Dolgopolov today? Just tired from last week or was Stepanek playing really well?

Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Kihei- Did you get to see any of Dolgopolov today? Just tired from last week or was Stepanek playing really well?
No, though I wanted to see Dolgopolov play, I missed it. I avoid Stepanek whose game doesn't exactly thrill me, and I was engrossed in the Haas/Nalbandian match, which was on at the same time. I talked to people about it afterwards, though, and they said Stepanek just annihilated him, near flawless on his own serve and breaking Alexandr's four times. Dolgopolov might have celebrated his win in Washington on Sunday with a mite too much enthusiasm.

Started the day with Stakhovsky/Granollers and a stupid thought about Sergiy: He would be a really good player if he were more talented. Duh.Translated that means, he has more smarts than skill. You can almost see him thinking things through out there and he does have imagination, but he just doesn't quite have the game to back up his good ideas consistently enough. He will be a really good coach someday, I predict. Granollers, totally opposite, just bashes away but he's on a bit of a roll lately and the shots have been falling in more often than not. So a good win for Marcel.

Then I saw the first set between Fog and Yu. It was a war of ground strokes that was incredibly close with Fog eking out a 7-6, 5-7. 7-6 win, the last two sets of which I didn't see. In the set I saw, Fog, when in crisis, had a little bit more mustard that he could put on his passing shots than Yu had. That was the only difference. It was a very near thing.

Nalbandian/Haas is probably one of those matches that looked better live than on TV/Internet. Both started slowly in the first set with a back to back losses of serve, but Haas quickly took over, putting on an absolute clinic on the fine art of tennis ball placement, and broke David three times in the process. I know it's a cliche but it was a marvelous example of a thinking player's approach to tennis, and beautiful to watch. Tommy's backhand went a little off in the second set and Nalbandian sneaked in for an unexpected win in the tie breaker, having saved a couple of match points, 13-11. A bit reminiscent of Federer's second set win against Murray at Wimbledon this spring, David never looked like he was going to take the set until the moment he won it. The third set wasn't quite of the same quality. Nalbandian just gave Haas too many opportunities, and eventually Tommy gained control with two service breaks for the win. Both players deservedly received warm ovations at the end for their efforts.

In the evening matches, Raonic looked absolutely killer against Troicki (it is Troicki, though). Milos will likely draw Murray in the third round and that could be a dandy. If Murray is suffering any kind of hangover after his gold medal win in London, Raonic tonight looked more than capable of pulling a Stepanek.

Andujar was at the top of his game against Isner who eventually outdueled him from the baseline just enough to take a close match 7-6, 7-5. I'm not an Isner fan, but he really impressed me with his shot making and persistence against an opponent who played with real skill and who looked like he believed he could pull an upset.

Terrific tournament so far. My last full day before the finals is tomorrow, and there are a lot of potentially interesting matches lined up:

Djokovic/Tomic
Fog/Kohlschreiber
Simon/Haas
Cilic/Bags

and Murray plays Cipolla in Andy's first match. As a starter for Andy, I find this match intriguing. I'm not calling for an upset or anything near that crazy, I just think it might not be the romp that it looks like on paper, especially if Flavio does another Ken Rosewall impersonation. Should be fun anyway.

Last edited by kihei: 08-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old
08-07-2012, 11:50 PM
17futurecap

I think it will help Raonic, Monaco, Fish, and Isner they got their 2nd round matches done today, while the other guys will have to pull off five wins in five days.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Dolgopolov is pretty prone to tanking matches even when he hasn't made a final the previous week. He almost certainly did just that yesterday.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:23 AM
kihei

Quote:
Dolgopolov is pretty prone to tanking matches even when he hasn't made a final the previous week. He almost certainly did just that yesterday.
Hey, anything that takes credit away from Stepanek is fine with me. But it sounded like Radek won the first set fair and square. After that and given Alex's probable massive hangover, well....

Old
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Tuggy

Del Potro out in 2nd at Toronto.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Del Potro out in 2nd at Toronto.
It sounded like Radek won the first set fair and square. After that and given Juan Martin's probable massive hangover, well....

Old
08-08-2012, 09:15 PM
MsMeow

For those of you who went up to York, did you notice if people had cameras with zoom lenses? I'm thinking of going up tomorrow night and would like to take my DSLR. I have a 70-200 with a 14 extender. I couldn't find anything about cameras being restricted to a certain zoom, only that you couldn't use the flash, tripods, monopods and laptops.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
kihei

Quote:
It sounded like Radek won the first set fair and square. After that and given Juan Martin's probable massive hangover, well....
I'll give Radek credit. He looked in better shape this year than the last time I saw him. But his game still induces narcolepsy and Del Potro's play this morning was flatter than **** on a plate. I went looking for greener pastures after the first set, but the final result sure came as no surprise when I found out about it later.

No second coming of Ken Rosewall today. Andy was very low energy, but it didn't matter in the least. Cipolla played like he was way over his head, which indeed he was. However, if Murray plays another match like this tomorrow night against Raonic, he could be back in Great Britain on the next plane.

The Ungainly One had his way with Fog, 2 and 2. Kohlschreiber's game is even more "ugly duckling" live than on TV/Internet, and I am not talking just about his whooping-crane-trying-to-take-flight service motion either. He is the anti-Roger. Everything he does screams EFFORT in capital letters. But that gnarly, inelegant, clenched style of his produced results today. Fog's far more pleasing-to-the-eye strokes just got overpowered all match long. Still, I'm amazed Philipp is as successful as he is with form that idiosyncratic. Seems like a nice guy; I wonder if he is a Type A personality, though.

Saw Berdych's first set loss in a long tie breaker to Benneteau before Tomas recovered to win the match. I wouldn't call Tomas graceful but he has a smooth, efficient power game. Trouble is, he so seldom presses the issue or takes deliberate control of a point. He just hits whatever reasonable shot he sees in front of him, and lesser lights like Benneteau, who can play that game too, win more points than they should.

I thought Tomic acquitted himself well against Nole. Bernard started the match with an actual plan--feed Novak a lot of junk--and it worked for almost five games. The turning point of the match was in the fifth game when Tomic got to love-40 on Nole's serve and then couldn't convert any of the break point opportunities. Whoosh, and the set disappeared, 6-2. He played well in the second set, too, but Djokovic had no lapses in concentration and just too much talent.

The Tommy Haas renaissance continues, with a very impressive win over a frustrated Gilles Simon. Haas outplayed Simon from the baseline and was an opportunist at the net. Tommy could end up being more than one player's nightmare at the US Open.

Cilic played some nice, crisp tennis against Bags for a straight set win.

I didn't see Nishikori's nor Tsonga's quick exits. But along with Juan Martin's defeat, Nole's whole "difficult" quarter, that is, the three guys who might have been his next consecutive opponents, all got wiped out in a single day without getting to the round of 16.

Last edited by kihei: 08-09-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 10:28 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
For those of you who went up to York, did you notice if people had cameras with zoom lenses? I'm thinking of going up tomorrow night and would like to take my DSLR. I have a 70-200 with a 14 extender. I couldn't find anything about cameras being restricted to a certain zoom, only that you couldn't use the flash, tripods, monopods and laptops.
I saw a lot of cameras, and some of them had what looked like modest zoom lenses, but I don't know what the rules are about that stuff at all. Couldn't you call the site before you go? Maybe talk to one of the ticket sellers and see if he/she could point you in the right direction?

Old
08-08-2012, 10:45 PM
MsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I saw a lot of cameras, and some of them had what looked like modest zoom lenses, but I don't know what the rules are about that stuff at all. Couldn't you call the site before you go? Maybe talk to one of the ticket sellers and see if he/she could point you in the right direction?
I think I'll just take my point and shoot, it's not going to take great shots but I don't want to lug the big one around.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
17futurecap

Down here in the states we are getting the men from 1-5 tomorrow, than the ladies from 6-10. Looks like this guy will be illegally streaming Murray/Raonic haha.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Tuggy

Raonic/Murray tonight under the lights!

Bouchard won her first round match in Montreal against Peer. I really think she can be a star. She looks good and she can play. Tough second round match today though against Li Na.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Tuggy

Murray pulls out due to injury, so Raonic is through!

Wozniak also won her second round match. Bouchard up soon.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
MsMeow

It's been raining here all day so I'm not going

Old
08-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Murray pulls out due to injury, so Raonic is through!
"Injury." Not surprising at all.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:46 PM
kihei

Quote:
"Injury." Not surprising at all.
For what it's worth, yesterday he did take about a 15 minute injury time out against Cipolla because of a leg/knee problem of some sort. This close to the US Open, I doubt he, or any other player, would want to take any chances with even a minor injury.

He may not be the last to pull out either. If you add the probable wet conditions the next couple of days which could make for slippery courts, the likelihood that players might have to play two matches a day, the fact that many of the stars are suffering from post Wimbledon/Olympic empty tanks and/or are here only because they have to play a number of these level tournaments, and throw in the already-mentioned proximity to the US Open, I could see other players deciding discretion was the better part of valor and bowing out of the tournament as well.

Nole's list of "probable" tough players in his way has now been completely erased.

Last edited by kihei: 08-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old
08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
17futurecap

Murray had nothing to defend in Canada either. Lost to Anderson early last year I believe. As opposed to Cincy which he won last year.

Closed Thread