Zach Parise

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 05:16 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Zach Parise

Hey Mod's sorry, I didnt know the best place for this, move to where ever it's best suited...

Here's a couple articles, One from Sports Illustrated one from ESPN (the people that really know their hockey right?)that talk about Parise & how he should be in a Wild sweater next season.

A tidbit:

Quote:
The addition of Parise would be expensive, but would satisfy the need for more excitement, would pay immediate on-ice dividends, and would give the Minnesota NHL scene an offensive superstar the likes of which haven't been seen since Dino Ciccarelli had inflatable dinosaurs flying off the shelves in the Twin Cities in the spring of 1981.
Check them out if you get a chance:

Sports Illustrated:
Zack Parise to the Minnesota Wild. Too Easy
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/2/3...ntent=My+Yahoo

ESPN Sports Wire:
Come Summer Minnesota should consider a deal with the Devils
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...e_Devils020212

Last edited by se7en: 03-07-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

If we could I'd consider moving a winger to bring the extra cap space Parise needs and throw about 6-7 million a year his way. We've only got about 21 million in cap space next year and about half a roster to sign.

I won't sell the farm to get him in a trade though. UFA or bust, if not we'll go for another forward this summer or just wait for our prospects to be slowly integrated into the system.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
nickschultzfan

The smart play would be to have cap space cleared by the draft, trade for Parise's rights post-draft, sign him, and call Suter, with Parise, on July 1 at noon.

I wonder if Harding's rights + mid pick would be enough to get Parise's rights around the draft.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

^ Yeah because we've got the hometown advantage of Parise being from Minnesota, but unless the craptastic state of our team improves with injuries. I wouldn't mind throwing a pick at New Jersey to get his negotiating rights for a few days.

If I'm a star D-man coming out into UFA for the first time. Who do I go with a team that wins now and soon? Or a team that missed the playoffs for a 4th year in a row with a "bright future" that won't arrive for another few years?

If I was Suter it sure in the hell wouldn't be the Wild. Though with the hopeful signing of Parise, it could entice me as the Wild would be top heavy with scoring talent.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
^ Yeah because we've got the hometown advantage of Parise being from Minnesota, but unless the craptastic state of our team improves with injuries. I wouldn't mind throwing a pick at New Jersey to get his negotiating rights for a few days.

If I'm a star D-man coming out into UFA for the first time. Who do I go with a team that wins now and soon? Or a team that missed the playoffs for a 4th year in a row with a "bright future" that won't arrive for another few years?

If I was Suter it sure in the hell wouldn't be the Wild. Though with the hopeful signing of Parise, it could entice me as the Wild would be top heavy with scoring talent.
What if the Wild recovers from its injuries, makes the playoffs, and builds some steam at the end of the season?

Old
02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
se7en
infamous...

Just out of curiosity, how often does a player actually sign with a team that traded for his negotiation rights before becoming a UFA? I just feel like 9 times out of 10 the player waits to be a UFA anyways.. They may still sign but are our chances really that much better getting an extra few days to ourselves?

It just seems like if youre going to be a UFA there is too great of temptation to just wait & see the offers before committing to someone...

It's like being told that you can only keep 1 toy out of all your presents for Christmas but then on Christmas Eve being told that you either can pick 1 present right now & that's it for the year without even knowing what all the other presents are OR you can open all the presents on Christmas morning & choose your favorite then..

Id wait til Christmas morning to see my options...

maybe a bad analogy but I think it still makes a point... If hes coming here I think its after he sees all his options because Im sorry but if the Blackhawks, Red Wings or Rangers, possible even the Ducks or Kings give me a better or similar offer, screw where Im from, Im probably going there...

Old
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The smart play would be to have cap space cleared by the draft, trade for Parise's rights post-draft, sign him, and call Suter, with Parise, on July 1 at noon.

I wonder if Harding's rights + mid pick would be enough to get Parise's rights around the draft.
This is what we should do. That is the surest way to get both of them like we want.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Pray hard everyone.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Just out of curiosity, how often does a player actually sign with a team that traded for his negotiation rights before becoming a UFA? I just feel like 9 times out of 10 the player waits to be a UFA anyways.. They may still sign but are our chances really that much better getting an extra few days to ourselves?

It just seems like if youre going to be a UFA there is too great of temptation to just wait & see the offers before committing to someone...

It's like being told that you can only keep 1 toy out of all your presents for Christmas but then on Christmas Eve being told that you either can pick 1 present right now & that's it for the year without even knowing what all the other presents are OR you can open all the presents on Christmas morning & choose your favorite then..

Id wait til Christmas morning to see my options...

maybe a bad analogy but I think it still makes a point... If hes coming here I think its after he sees all his options because Im sorry but if the Blackhawks, Red Wings or Rangers, possible even the Ducks or Kings give me a better or similar offer, screw where Im from, Im probably going there...
Well the recent situations I can recall:

Philly traded for Bryzgalov's rights - Signed with Philly

NYI traded for Erhoff's rights - Traded rights to Buffalo

Buffalo traded for Erhoff's rights - Signed with Buffalo

Philly traded for Hamhuis's rights - Traded rights to Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh traded for Hamhuis's rights - Left as free agent (I think?) to sign in Vancouver

So 5 times in the last 20 months that I can recall. Twice they signed with the team, twice the team moved the rights again, and once they lost him for nothing. In an interesting twist of fate, right now NYI is ahead of Buffalo in points pace for the season, so they could have ultimately upgraded their 3rd round pick for holding Erhoff's rights for a couple days.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:45 PM
OpRedDawn*

I can't imagine any FA wanting to sign here. The system doesn't seem very fun for skilled players.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I can't imagine any FA wanting to sign here. The system doesn't seem very fun for skilled players.
We'll know if this is true or not once we have some skilled players to test the system.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
Not sure where you get that from... the system looks plenty fun... hell, Pittsburgh plays the exact same system the Wild do.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Bullrun

parise played like such a beast when the devils came to town...

if we could somehow get him with a cap of 6.5ish...(miracle?)

Old
02-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
7mil for 6yrs sounds about right.

P.S. Koivu & Parise's Points and Stats are eerily similar. Could be a good omen. You never know.

Last edited by Mancini79: 02-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
02-04-2012, 05:07 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Since #9 isn't available he'll probably not sign.. o-wait.. he can do like some other dude did, wear #99 instead..

Old
02-04-2012, 05:33 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Since #9 isn't available he'll probably not sign.. o-wait.. he can do like some other dude did, wear #99 instead..
Actually, he can't... that number is retired league wide.

Old
02-04-2012, 05:33 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
or wear number 11

why 11?

his daddy wore 11 with north stars.

i honestly think if he makes it to FA we have the leading chance to sign him, no cap restrictions and we are winning now with a terrible team add in the young infusion we are getting and a healthy koivu and its the cherry on the cake.

besides him and koivu play very similarly and it would be just magical to have him on the line with koivu.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

He was #11 with the Sioux as well.

As for acquiring him in the offseason, so bored with talking about it...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
He was #11 with the Sioux as well.

As for acquiring him in the offseason, so bored with talking about it...
Something tells me this dead horse is going to be beaten and/or flogged daily until Parise signs a contract somewhere.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:03 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Something tells me this dead horse is going to be beaten and/or flogged daily until Parise signs a contract somewhere.
i dont know what you are talking about...

but i got my flogging whip ready:

Last edited by forthewild: 02-04-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old
02-04-2012, 01:40 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

He should wear #12. That way, when we sign Shea Weber (6), Teemu Selanne (8), Saku Koivu (11), and Olli Jokinen (13), we'll have numbers 1-16 all taken care of!

Old
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Flabbergasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
He should wear #12. That way, when we sign Shea Weber (6), Teemu Selanne (8), Saku Koivu (11), and Olli Jokinen (13), we'll have numbers 1-16 all taken care of!
Someones been visiting fantasy land lately.

But yeah that would be sweet...

Old
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Someones been visiting fantasy land lately.

But yeah that would be sweet...
I couldn't figure out who to slot in for 17-19, or else I would have included Suter at 20.

In all seriousness, though, I think there are two good reasons why this is getting so much talk:

(1) It's maybe the most plausible major UFA signing rumor that the Wild have ever had. Yes, HFers have a tendency to slot in every single big-ticket UFA on their team every off-season. But there are actually a ton of reasons why this one would make sense, and there's a feeling that the organization is even going to pursue it. Hell, we've got ESPN and THN writing articles about not just why it might happen, but why it should. It fills a need on the team, it's a marketer's wet dream, the team has the cap space to actually outbid other teams (within reason), and he's shown interest in the media in signing here.

(2) It would mean a lot to the franchise. We would have our team's second superstar. And believe me, he would be a superstar here. It would be the first actual hometown kid to really make an impact with the franchise. Maybe not quite the level of love that Neal Broten got with the North Stars, but the same sort of reaction. But beyond that, it would be the franchise establishing itself as legitimate. As a destination for big-name players. As an organization finally able to move past the loss of their first-ever draft pick. Not to mention that the addition of Parise, Granlund, Bulmer, possibly Brodin, and one of our scoring prospects (Coyle, Zucker, Phillips, Larsson)... that establishes this team probably as a playoff lock and maybe even a real threat.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 02-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Beegoalie

Nice article...

Still just gonna wait and enjoy the rest of this season before i get all crazy over Parise/Suter ideas

Doesn't mean I'm not all for either/both of them which i strongly agree we gotta go after both...blah

Old
02-04-2012, 04:04 PM
se7en
infamous...

For sure.. And I was just playing messenger, Its fun to get mentioned in the national spotlight & have it be because sporting sources feel we're the best fit for a big name player...

Also, even tho it is beating a dead horse, its just something else to be excited about. And its nice to think that we may just be a frontrunner for a star player. Thats something we've never heard before as Wild fans.. (I think llampa said something along those lines to)

Id rather talk about Parise coming here & the possibilities it would bring with it then talk about frustration, blown games & missing the playoffs.. At least its positive stuff & people stay in a good mood...

But Im not getting my hopes up & of coarse Im just enjoying the ride for now too but its still fun to think about...

Closed Thread