HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Dennis Persson signed with Swedish champions

Old
06-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Dennis Persson signed with Swedish champions

Sabres prospect Dennis Persson has signed with the Swedish champions Brynäs for two years. Since I'm not only a Sabres fan but also a Brynäs fan, I'm quite excited about saying goodbye, good luck and welcome, all at the same time.

http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/brynas...kommen-dennis-

Last edited by Wisent42: 06-14-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to label the thread
Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Vito_81

Smart move on his part I'd say. He had no future with the Sabres that's for sure.

I'm officially chalking him up as a first round bust...if he wasn't already in that group before.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Wisent42

Sure he was a bust. First rounder who spent three years in the AHL and never got more than a warmup in the NHL. That's a definite bust. But since I am pretty much clueless about the situation in Portland and Rochester, I'm still wondering: Was he simply too bad, or was he stuck in a jam of defencemen trying to make it to the Sabres?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Sure he was a bust. First rounder who spent three years in the AHL and never got more than a warmup in the NHL. That's a definite bust. But since I am pretty much clueless about the situation in Portland and Rochester, I'm still wondering: Was he simply too bad, or was he stuck in a jam of defencemen trying to make it to the Sabres?
I can only speak to last season in Rochester, but he was pretty terrible. Turn over machine. Didn't help he was injured the first game of the season, but he never took advantage of his playing time.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He was pretty terrible his first year in Portland too. He shows flashes, the tools are there, but he can't put them all together. And the few times he came close to putting it together consistently, he gets hurt and never got himself back together.

They should've taken the comp pick....

06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I can only speak to last season in Rochester, but he was pretty terrible. Turn over machine. Didn't help he was injured the first game of the season, but he never took advantage of his playing time.
Watched him in Portland a number of games 2 years ago. Looked like he was making progress, but like Chain stated, every time it looked like he was putting it all together, he'd get injured.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Matty K

I can't believe we picked this clown over Berglund who was taken with the next pick and Foligno who was taken four spots after

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Sabretip

WGR also reported that Morrisonn signed with Spartak of KHL.

http://wgr550.com/Two-Amerks-D-men-r...urope/13429233

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Good riddance I guess. Persson had bust written all over him for years and I knew he wasn't going to be in North America for much longer.

Surprised Morrisonn took a KHL offer already, although he probably got some pretty decent money. I thought he'd try for an NHL contract; he's certainly NHL-caliber even if it was as a 7th somewhere. However, he probably got some okay bucks and figured he'd cash in and go. I still feel bad for the guy to this day. He really wasn't a terrible player for us but things just changed and we went in another direction.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

good for him

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:42 PM
MayDay

Kills me to look at the first-round busts of the last decade.

Persson, Zagrapan, Kryukov...

All Europeans too. Maybe that's part of the reason Regier has shied away from using high draft picks on European players in recent years (with the exception of Armia).

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Smart move on his part I'd say. He had no future with the Sabres that's for sure.

I'm officially chalking him up as a first round bust...if he wasn't already in that group before.
I scrubbed his corner of the dry-erase board clean years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

All Europeans too. Maybe that's part of the reason Regier has shied away from using high draft picks on European players in recent years (with the exception of Armia).
(We've discussed this before...) Add Novotny.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Interesting to note, all were with Benning/Luce influenced selections.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
sabresfan129103

Berglund......

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
I'm pretty sure none of us will end up filing a "missing Persson" report...

Ralonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
oh, he went there.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Add Novotny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Interesting to note, all were with Benning/Luce influenced selections.
I blame Scotty Bowman's indirect influence on Luce - who can forget Jiri Dudacek in 1981?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Matty K

Quote:

Well done sir

Old
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

We shouldn't even be making proposals on acquiring Nick Foligno, we should already have him instead of this SCRUB.Even back in 06 I was screaming at them to draft Nick, and instead we get this horrible horrible player.

What I didn't understand is how we did not draft Foligno over Persson in 06.I mean we had already started the grassroots movement a year earlier in '05 when we traded for Tim Kennedy so I am still baffled we passed on a hometown surefire bottom 6 player for a Euro project.

This is one of the many reasons that I can't wait for Regier to finally go.Our top pick in the 2 drafts after the lockout didn't even play a single NHL game and the 3rd (Brennan) may or may not make it full time.This is also one of the reasons why we struggled after the co-caps left, we had no top prospects to step in due to the incompetence of Darcy Regier.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:00 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
We shouldn't even be making proposals on acquiring Nick Foligno, we should already have him instead of this SCRUB.Even back in 06 I was screaming at them to draft Nick, and instead we get this horrible horrible player.

What I didn't understand is how we did not draft Foligno over Persson in 06.I mean we had already started the grassroots movement a year earlier in '05 when we traded for Tim Kennedy so I am still baffled we passed on a hometown surefire bottom 6 player for a Euro project.

This is one of the many reasons that I can't wait for Regier to finally go.Our top pick in the 2 drafts after the lockout didn't even play a single NHL game and the 3rd (Brennan) may or may not make it full time.This is also one of the reasons why we struggled after the co-caps left, we had no top prospects to step in due to the incompetence of Darcy Regier.
Really, really? The strength of Darcy's tenure has been his drafting.

Have you LOOKED at other team's drafts? Guys bust all the time, yes even first rounders.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post

Have you LOOKED at other team's drafts? Guys bust all the time, yes even first rounders.
His strength has been finding gems in the 2nd/3rd round.But a lot of his credit is pre-lockout.Our drafts from 05-07 overall were absolutely terrible, we have 2 full time players from those 3 drafts (Gerbe+Enroth) and a few borderline/minor leaguers (Tropp,Brennan,Weber) in our system.

Granted, he hit a home run with the 08 draft,but overall his top picks from 98-07 have only 5 out of the 11 players who made it as full time NHL'ers and one of them (Kalinin is out of the NHL).So that's only 4 full time NHL'ers out of 11 top picks (1st rounder and the #31 from 07 which was our first pick).

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

I will agree with you the whole way about the Persson Selection but thats about it. Regier has had some solid Drafts since 2008 and has used the Draft as his bread and butter to re-tooling this Franchise.

2008: Myers(#12) + Ennis(#26) + Adam(#44) + Crawford(#164)
2009: Kassian(#13) - Parlayed into CoHo + McNabb(#66) + Foligno(#104) + Knapp(#164)
2010: Pysyk(#23) + JGL(#68) + Sundher(#75) + MacKenzie(#83)
2011: Armia(#16) + Catenacci(#77)

Old
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post

This. Regier actually has better than average success at finding NHLers in the draft. Especially impressive when you consider he had a scouting team of EIGHT FREAKING PEOPLE (league average, afaik, is around 20-22) and had to do most prospect assessment by video during the Golissano years.

I think Pegula's bucks have already made an impact in player development in Rochester. I don't think it'll be a long wait before we see the effect in scouting/drafting. For years Darcy was handcuffed by budget restraints, so many of the failures of that era speak more to the quality of the ownership than the GM. I'm more than willing to give DR a chance to prove he can make this team a contender now that he has actual resources to use to do so.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
This. Regier actually has better than average success at finding NHLers in the draft. Especially impressive when you consider he had a scouting team of EIGHT FREAKING PEOPLE (league average, afaik, is around 20-22) and had to do most prospect assessment by video during the Golissano years.

I think Pegula's bucks have already made an impact in player development in Rochester. I don't think it'll be a long wait before we see the effect in scouting/drafting. For years Darcy was handcuffed by budget restraints, so many of the failures of that era speak more to the quality of the ownership than the GM. I'm more than willing to give DR a chance to prove he can make this team a contender now that he has actual resources to use to do so.
I hope it doesn't become information overload...maybe a smaller staff is better

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:17 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote