HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wheels for Sport Court

Old
06-15-2012, 12:31 AM
jadawgis732
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Wheels for Sport Court

Hi guys,

First post here. I was pretty good at hockey when I was younger playing travel from about 10-16 years old, but since then I've not played at all. After going to a Cup Final game and my sister having purchased season tickets next year for the Devils, plus it being a sport I liked and I could stand to lose the weight I decided to start playing again. I am 28 now, and after 10 years in my University's computer science department I'm about 50 lbs heavier than I was last time I was on skate (kids, stay active when you get into your mid 20s).

Today I went to play roller hockey at a nearby outdoor rink. I had been given skates by a family friend about a year ago and was trying them out on a rink for the first time. They are Bauer 40-70's with 80a wheels in a 72-72-80-78 setup.

The problem was that I had no grip on the surface. It sounded like two squeegees every time I took a stride, and backwards crossovers were near impossible with my feet slipping out all the time. The rink is covered with a material I later found out was called sport court. It is also not standard sport court, but more like the pattern of a milk crate, with lots of ribs and crossing going on. Very smooth though.

I was wondering what type of wheels I need, or if 80a is right for me. I am about 230lbs 5'11" and was a pretty good skater (better skater and more of an open ice deke guy than mixing it up in the corners) when I was younger. I was fine on blacktop but the sport court threw me. Any advice would certainly help. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: After reading some more it seems like guys my weight are okay at 80a on sport court. Maybe it's the wheels I currently have on there, so I'm going to add a pic.

Last edited by jadawgis732: 06-15-2012 at 01:02 AM.
jadawgis732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:15 AM
jazz4all

i think 76a will give you a good grip. 80a is too hard especially with that wheel's condition.

jazz4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:25 AM
izzy3

On the few occasions I play roller indoors all guys, even the biggest use the grippiest 74A wheels. They don't really wear on a very smooth surface, but they give you a lot more grip. I'd say buy some of those.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Torquenstein

If I understand you correctly the surface looks like that.

If so: First that is the perfect surface for roller hockey and second you need really sof wheels. 76a should do the trick.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Ozz

76A or 78A should do well for you. Being a heavier guy, the 78A may you may be better off with the 78A since they're not as soft and won't "squish" on you as much. Then again some brands' 76A may have better rebound and performance than others, so it could be hit or miss.

For instance, I was in a similar situation as you: took 10 years off, got into weightlifting and gained 70lbs., then came back to hockey. I've had some Rink Rat Hot Shot wheels, which are rated "XXX Grip" and I believe translates to a 76A rating. So far they're going on 2.5 years playing 1-2x per week indoors, and still have plenty of life left. To compare, I just bought some Labeda 76A Fuzions and tore one up in under 5 games. The rest are still alive, though. Some are better than others, that's for sure.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:03 PM
jadawgis732
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4all View Post
i think 76a will give you a good grip. 80a is too hard especially with that wheel's condition.
Wow, I didn't think you guys would tell me they were that worn in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquenstein View Post
If I understand you correctly the surface looks like that.

If so: First that is the perfect surface for roller hockey and second you need really sof wheels. 76a should do the trick.
Awesome, that saves me the trouble of going back to photograph it for you guys. Yes, that's the stuff. It's soft too. Skating backwards, I fell on my ass and barely felt it.

Shopping at InlineWarehouse I found Labeda Grippers for $5.75 a wheel. Where's the place to shop for wheels?

Last edited by jadawgis732: 06-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
jadawgis732
Rookie User

Jeezus, I can't find 78mm wheels pretty much anywhere. If my frame is set up for 72/72/80/78 I have to stick with that setup right? Could you guys tell me what wheels I should be buying? I'd prefer to spend no more than $60-$75

EDIT: Seems like Bauer just went with that setup of wheels to avoid infringing on a Mission patent, but the frames accept 72/72/80/80 setups.

Last edited by jadawgis732: 06-15-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Ozz

Which frame have you got? Depending on the setup and the size you may or may not be able to run a larger diameter wheel in each spot. I'd assume you can easily run 80 in the back, though. Move some wheels around and see what you can fit and where. Then figure out if you want a 'straight' line or a rocker design and size your wheels from there.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
jadawgis732
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Which frame have you got? Depending on the setup and the size you may or may not be able to run a larger diameter wheel in each spot. I'd assume you can easily run 80 in the back, though. Move some wheels around and see what you can fit and where. Then figure out if you want a 'straight' line or a rocker design and size your wheels from there.
My frame is a Tuuk OneUp. I did check whether the back could fit an 80mm wheel when rotating the wheels today, and it was fine. I honestly don't know what setup (flat, rocker, hi-lo) I'd prefer, because I only have the wheels that are currently on the skates. But I assume that anything that has a lot of supporters is something that I'd be able to get used to and enjoy. The 72-72-80-78 setup seems fine on blacktop, but like I said, it seems that 78mm wheels are not widely available.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Ozz

I dunno, I'm a high proponent of a full rocker and everyone seems to hate it. But that's how I played for years before HiLo was even around. I never liked the HiLo chassis and refused to run one. I like the Tri-Di chassis from RBK, running a smaller wheel up front and a 3rd 76mm in the back; it gives a nice rocker. FWIW having an 80mm on the back doesn't bug me either. I borrowed a pair of HiLos from a friend for a few skates this past week and the difference is huge (to me). Not a fan, personally.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:54 PM
jadawgis732
Rookie User

So here's what I got:

4x 80mm 76a Eschelon Oracle
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eschelon...racle-4pk.html

4x 72mm 74a Hyper Virtue
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/hyper-in...ite-4pack.html

I will post after I get them and try them out.

BTW it wasn't quite the same surface, here's the sport court stuff I was talking about.

I guess it's actually ice court. At least it looks very similar to the stuff shown on the Outdoor section of IceCourt's Website:

Last edited by jadawgis732: 06-22-2012 at 03:21 AM.