Inside source.
I think Jobu answered his prayers.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Now lets see if he can hit the curveball, whether or not we trade Backstrom.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Ismellofhockey

vCash: 500
Seems like Fletcher should definitely be shopping Backstrom. There's no rush to trade him this summer, he could still be traded at the deadline, but a lot of teams are looking for a goalie and Backstrom is very attractive:

- only 1 year left, allowing teams to cut him loose if it doesn't work out
- true number goaltender
- has playoff experience

If Fletcher wants to improve his top 6, trading Backstrom should be his best bet.

The biggest problem is that teams looking for a goalie would probably prefer a younger player.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild try to get Harding in position to be the #1 guy before the deadline so even if they're in playoff position, they could try to move Backstrom and bring up Hackett going into the playoffs.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:10 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Seems like Fletcher should definitely be shopping Backstrom. There's no rush to trade him this summer, he could still be traded at the deadline, but a lot of teams are looking for a goalie and Backstrom is very attractive:

- only 1 year left, allowing teams to cut him loose if it doesn't work out
- true number goaltender
- has playoff experience

If Fletcher wants to improve his top 6, trading Backstrom should be his best bet.

The biggest problem is that teams looking for a goalie would probably prefer a younger player.
Depending on where we're at, I smell a deadline plan brewing...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The thing is, Backstrom at the deadline makes sense if we're in playoff position or not.

He could be a chip that could bring in a player in an area of need for a playoff run, be it we need a rental etc. If not in playoff position, we move him for something more future related.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The thing is, Backstrom at the deadline makes sense if we're in playoff position or not.

He could be a chip that could bring in a player in an area of need for a playoff run, be it we need a rental etc. If not in playoff position, we move him for something more future related.
That is an interesting point I had not thought of.

While I believe we have a strong chance to make the playoffs, I think being a true contender is almost a joke, and if moving Backs could improve us in the long haul... I like it.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
AnimalMother

I thought Backstrom had a NTC...

AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:25 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalMother View Post
I thought Backstrom had a NTC...
It's always been a limited one...there are numbers he needs to meet to maintain it, and there are windows in it. Does someone have the specifics?

Old
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
AnimalMother

Last I saw he couldn't be traded during the first year of the contract, but could be traded during that summer. He couldn't be traded after the second year...

AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
It's always been a limited one...there are numbers he needs to meet to maintain it, and there are windows in it. Does someone have the specifics?
No. Russo has commented that it's complicated and he doesn't know the specifics either, but he does know that it's still in effect for next season.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Trading Backstrom if we're in playoff position can't make sense. If Backstrom's playing well, it doesn't make sense to move him. If he's playing poorly, no one wants him. No team would offer a "rental" for him. Any team that has rentals available for trade won't be trading them if they're in playoff position. If they're not in position, they won't trade for Backstrom because he won't have any value to them.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Trading Backstrom if we're in playoff position can't make sense. If Backstrom's playing well, it doesn't make sense to move him. If he's playing poorly, no one wants him. No team would offer a "rental" for him. Any team that has rentals available for trade won't be trading them if they're in playoff position. If they're not in position, they won't trade for Backstrom because he won't have any value to them.
x2
it'd have to be a pretty rare situation that would see us move Backs at the deadline while we were in playoff contention. I

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
LordFletcher

Fletcher was quoted yesterday saying he isn't looking to trade Backstrom. An offer would have to come in and there is really only one destination that it could come from, Toronto.

Why would Columbus in a rebuild trade for Backstrom who is aging and on the last year of his deal. That won't happen, Howson is crazy but I feel like he has learned his lessons.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
If we are in a playoff fight trading Backstrom could be a tough sell to Minnesota faithful. Barring a player in return that can provide an immediate need. Which is rarer than a virgin on prom night with deadline deals. Short term it could suck for the Wild potentially losing Backs to free agency for nothing. Long term this tactic of keeping the Back/Hardwall tandem intact, and keeping Hackett in Houston for steady experience building reps may be best. Neither of our tenders are indestructible. Like Fletch said in regards to Backstrom's immediate future. We were dangerously close last season of only having one intact goalie in out entire system. We still need him for that flexibility. At least as the roster stands as of now. But a lot a roster fiddling could happen between now and season opener in October. Or November. December? C'mon Bettman get on it.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote