HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Helm signs, $8.5m/4 years

Old
06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
zetterberg40

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
right now, its overpayment. In 2-3 years from now, it might be average or decent. I dont forsee this ever being a steal, though.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan2Holland View Post
Hopefully Abdelkader's deal (if he gets one, assuming he will) will be shorter term (as in a year or two at the most). He has more to prove with all the bottom six prospects the wings have almost ready on the farm.
One year at the most. Other guys can step in and do the same job for less.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tfong

Good! We sorely missed him in the playoffs

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
right now, its overpayment. In 2-3 years from now, it might be average or decent. I dont forsee this ever being a steal, though.
yeah, that's where I'm at with it, too. I was hoping for something like 3/$5m or 4/$7m, but in this cap environment that just wasn't going to happen. Oh well.

06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
crashman

In all my predictions and Capgeeks I slotted Helm in at $2.5m, so I think it's a totally fair contract. I was also expecting a 3 year contract, so 4 is a bonus!

Frankly, I can't believe some of you seem disappointed in this cap hit for what Helm brings to the team, especially when you consider his age.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
Fair value for one of my favorite Wings!

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I was expecting more like a $2.5M hit to be honest. And I'm also glad the deal is 4 years, you know what you get with him and he might surprise. Good deal.

Fantastic contract. Helm is one of those guys that can change the game for the Wings. He's a role guy, but his tenacity, willingness to hit, short-handed thread (and imo, some hidden offensive capability). He'd easily get $2.5-3 MM on the open market (were he not an UFA).

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
In all my predictions and Capgeeks I slotted Helm in at $2.5m, so I think it's a totally fair contract. I was also expecting a 3 year contract, so 4 is a bonus!

Frankly, I can't believe some of you seem disappointed in this cap hit for what Helm brings to the team, especially when you consider his age.
agreed. helm only made 900K last year. i fully expected that to be double at least, especially after the amount of praise babcock gave him after the wings lost against nashville

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Henkka

I wonder would Abdelkader go to 1.3 million range?

He's quite equal with Gregory Campbell statwise (points, hitting, PK role), but Campbell was becoming UFA and Abdelkader is RFA. Campbell got 1.6mil for 3 years.

Like Chris Kelly was becoming UFA (got 3.0 million) and younger RFA Helm got 2.1M.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Little bit too much for my liking but it's not overly bad.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
You thought he would only get roughly a million per year, or am I misreading? 4th line bruisers get a million these days.
In my Cap Geeks I had him at 1.2 cap hit but I knew it was probably gonna be higher and didn't really put much thought into it. I'm not complaining about the contract or anything though.

Interested to see what they give Gator now. He'll probably come in at that 1.2 number.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:52 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Classic Kenny. Slight over payment with one too many years hoping he ends up getting a value contract.
Slight overpayment for our best bottom 6 forward? Yeah if if the salary cap is $50-55 million. But with it potentially going up to $70million? It's a great contract. Not too long and he's signed through his prime years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Double what I predicted but we locked him up for 4 years.
Helm wasn't going to sign for $1 million. Holland wouldn't make an offer that low and so wouldn't the other 29 teams in the league. Hell, even Abdelkader is probably going to make $1.5-1.76 million.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
In my Cap Geeks I had him at 1.2 cap hit but I knew it was probably gonna be higher and didn't really put much thought into it. I'm not complaining about the contract or anything though.

Interested to see what they give Gator now. He'll probably come in at that 1.2 number.
I think Abdelkader will sign for somewhere between $1m-1.5m. If I had to bet on it I'd say $1.3m.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Great deal for Helm. Finally, some good news.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
ashenhigh

I think this is a fantastic deal for us..... I see nothing but great things from Helm and he really can only go up from here regarding his finishing skills.

ashenhigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Re-signing Helm was (after Lidström's departure) the most important move before July. With Filppula thriving on Zetterberg's wings, the Red Wings desperately needed two good bottom-six centers. Helm is one of them, and I like the contract very much. The comparison to Kelly fits best: Helm was a RFA, thus has a lower salary than Kelly, but is now signed through his supposed prime years.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

My concern about this deal has been my general concern about Helm.
He's not puck possession guy. And if he's our third line center, chances are, half our lines aren't able to play puck possession

When he's a fourth line center, his plays SCREAMS for more minutes. But when he's a third line center, I'm generally underwhelmed. Not bad. Not good. Just sort of adequate.

I like that it's a 4 year deal. We get his best years. I wonder he is still healthy after that, as a smaller guy playing his style.
I always thought Helm was better suited as a winger, where he was constantly hitting guys along the boards. But being a center may by him more years on his career.

Regardling Abdelkader, I wouldnt be surprised to see Holland go to $1.5-1.7M, but I think the wings overvalue Abeldkader.

I really don't believe he's proven he is better than $1.2M. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because Babcock his misusing him at center and he'd be more valuable as a winger. but benefits of the doubt don't extend to pay raises.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I never understood what the Wings saw and continue to see in Gator. He is soooooooo mediocre. I feel like the Wings could get someone more useful.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I never understood what the Wings saw and continue to see in Gator. He is soooooooo mediocre. I feel like the Wings could get someone more useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiDGllcHQI

Maybe you'll want Jason Williams back?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
ricky0034

slightly more than I was expecting(only slightly though),but also a couple years longer than I was expecting so really it's probably actually a better deal than I was expecting

nice to have this done

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
My concern about this deal has been my general concern about Helm.
He's not puck possession guy. And if he's our third line center, chances are, half our lines aren't able to play puck possession

When he's a fourth line center, his plays SCREAMS for more minutes. But when he's a third line center, I'm generally underwhelmed. Not bad. Not good. Just sort of adequate.

I like that it's a 4 year deal. We get his best years. I wonder he is still healthy after that, as a smaller guy playing his style.
I always thought Helm was better suited as a winger, where he was constantly hitting guys along the boards. But being a center may by him more years on his career.

Regardling Abdelkader, I wouldnt be surprised to see Holland go to $1.5-1.7M, but I think the wings overvalue Abeldkader.

I really don't believe he's proven he is better than $1.2M. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because Babcock his misusing him at center and he'd be more valuable as a winger. but benefits of the doubt don't extend to pay raises.

I think Babcock not only overvalues him but seriously misuses him. He's -- at best - a Maltby-esque winger. Him also trying to be a fighter is a joke. If they want a fighter, they should get a big bruiser. He's being pigeon-holed in a way that highlights his worst features/skills, not his best.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

We have to be the cheapest penny pinchers I've ever seen. If we ran the team we'd underpay every single player. Ken Holland isn't Mr. Burns, he knows Helm's fair value and he knows especially he'd earn more somewhere else. Helm is a one of a kind player. It's going to be hilarious seeing the comparisons to other bottom six players like that'll somehow be relevant.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:03 PM
sepster

Good signing.

Here's to hoping that in 3 years he's not the new Dan Cleary i.e. hurt and useless.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think Babcock not only overvalues him but seriously misuses him. He's -- at best - a Maltby-esque winger. Him also trying to be a fighter is a joke. If they want a fighter, they should get a big bruiser. He's being pigeon-holed in a way that highlights his worst features/skills, not his best.
In what way should he be used? He's looked terrible at center and average at best at wing. He's not a very good hockey player and if he isn't crashing and banging he has no use on this team. Abdelkader is basically a poor man's Dan Cleary. If Abdelkdaer and Cleary aren't forechecking hard and laying the body, what should they be doing? They're not skill guys.

Last edited by Heaton: 06-19-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Overpaid? You guys can be pretty cynical. The cap is rising, thus a hit can be a bit higher without being as big of an impact as it was 5 years ago. Relax, it's perfect.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote