HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1st center

Old
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

vCash: 500
1st center

Just wondering... Who is your number 1 centerman? And who de you project to be you first center in the futur? Was trading Derek Roy a mistake?

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Just wondering... Who is your number 1 centerman? And who de you project to be you first center in the futur? Was trading Derek Roy a mistake?
- Hodgson
- Hodgson/Grigorenko
- No

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:40 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Steve Ott has been a very nice addition, but it's clear we have major issues in the middle. Hodgson has been playing on the big line with Vanek and Pominville, but IMO, he's been riding the coattails a little bit. With Vanek out, that line was useless. Ennis is no. 2, and he can be an offensive catalyst, but he's so bad on face-offs it is a big problem. I think if you got him a good winger, he could put up a ton of points. Stafford and Foligno aren't playing very well right now. Ennis is clearly the better of the two, IMO, but they need someone who can win face-offs and play tough defensive minutes BADLY. As far as first center in the future, Grigorenko, hopefully.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Steve Ott has been a very nice addition, but it's clear we have major issues in the middle. Hodgson has been playing on the big line with Vanek and Pominville, but IMO, he's been riding the coattails a little bit. With Vanek out, that line was useless. Ennis is no. 2, and he can be an offensive catalyst, but he's so bad on face-offs it is a big problem. I think if you got him a good winger, he could put up a ton of points. Stafford and Foligno aren't playing very well right now. Ennis is clearly the better of the two, IMO, but they need someone who can win face-offs and play tough defensive minutes BADLY. As far as first center in the future, Grigorenko, hopefully.
not to anyone with their eyes open and watching without bias

Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM

- Hodgson
- MacKinnon, Grigorenko, Hodgson
- NO

Hodgson is the best center on our roster right now.

Last edited by 1972: 01-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
more like if you got him a good center. I don't like Ennis at center long term.

How many 5-9 centers are there in the NHL who are successful and on contenting teams? Need guys who can do heavy-lifting down the middle.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Cody Hodgson is our #1 center now. It's possibly Grigorenko could eventually take that role, but Cody is so young it's more likely he'll continue to hold it down. He's shown pretty solid chemistry with Vanek and Pominville.

It's too early to tell if trading Roy was a mistake. This was a mediocre offense team with him, and it looks like they'll a mediocre offensive team without him.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not to anyone with their eyes open and watching without bias
They're pretty equal at this point in time when you weigh their pros and cons. I have a tough time saying one is better than the other right now.

If it's a pick one to have 2-3 years from now, Hodgson is the clear choice to me.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
more like if you got him a good center. I don't like Ennis at center long term.

How many 5-9 centers are there in the NHL who are successful and on contenting teams? Need guys who can do heavy-lifting down the middle.
I don't see how being tall necessarily makes you a better center than it would a winger.

You've basically limited the sample size to 10-15 teams, it's pretty easy to make an argument if you limit your criteria to such an arbitrary, small group.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I don't see how being tall necessarily makes you a better center than it would a winger.

You've basically limited the sample size to 10-15 teams, it's pretty easy to make an argument if you limit your criteria to such an arbitrary, small group.
my point was more so that most good teams don't rely on someone so small to play such a critical position, you need size down the middle. The past cup winners and contenders prove it.

This is no dis to ennis or other small players, it's just my opinion. Its pretty tough to ask a guy like ennis to match up against the likes of Staal, Giroux, Malkin, Crosby, and Stamkos every night on the road.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I never said that, and if I did it wasn't intented

Old
01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
stokes84

Hodgson and Pominville without Vanek was useless. I'm very confused why Hodgson gets a free pass. He's not good at face-offs, he's not good on defense, he's slow as molasses. There are very few things that he does better than Ennis but there are a lot of things he does worse. Why are we so quick to anoint him?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
stokes84

Quote:
my point was more so that most good teams don't rely on someone so small to play such a critical position, you need size down the middle. The past cup winners and contenders prove it.

This is no dis to ennis or other small players, it's just my opinion. Its pretty tough to ask a guy like ennis to match up against the likes of Staal, Giroux, Malkin, Crosby, and Stamkos every night on the road.
The post-lockout Sabres did...

Old
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
They're pretty equal at this point in time when you weigh their pros and cons. I have a tough time saying one is better than the other right now.

If it's a pick one to have 2-3 years from now, Hodgson is the clear choice to me.
They aren't equal. It's very easy to see which one is playing better right now. It's the one that is playing 200 ft, uses his linemates well, and creates space for them with his vision.

Hodgson looks like a young NHL center. A guy with all the skills necessary to fill the role

Ennis looks completely lost at center when the puck isn't on his stick... as usual

Old

Quote:
Hodgson and Pominville without Vanek was useless. I'm very confused why Hodgson gets a free pass. He's not good at face-offs, he's not good on defense, he's slow as molasses. There are very few things that he does better than Ennis but there are a lot of things he does worse. Why are we so quick to anoint him?
umm no he is not..

you are making opinions off a ONE game sample size

Old
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
the game has moved on... you, like the Sabres, haven't recognized it.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
that was like what? 8 years ago? the game has changed

Old
01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
stokes84

Quote:
umm no he is not..

you are making opinions off a ONE game sample size
Not really. Vanek and Poms are near double digits in points. Cody has 3 goals total. IMO, he's been riding the Vanek/Poms gravy train, pulling a Luke Adam.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
LGB24

Quote:

Giroux is 5'11 172, hardly a mis match in size

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 281
Quote:
Yes, because they never adequately replaced him on the roster. I was open to trading him provided they met that prerequisite. They didn't.

In other words, the trade without more did not make us better. A subsequent move was necessary if all they could get for him was Ott.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Ennis is horrible at face-offs, worse on defense, and gets knocked off the puck quite often due to his size. Why are you so quick to annoint Ennis?

Truth is, they are both young and either one could emerge as a #1 or neither.

Most people will agree that Hodgson has the size and mass to compete with the other top line centers in the league while Ennis' skill set would likely be best utilized on the wing, a la Marty St Louis.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Crosby is also under 6 feet tall.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the game has moved on... you, like the Sabres, haven't recognized it.
That team would still be very good in today's league.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
sure, so is Crosby..but they are also ELITE hockey players.

Its fine to have a small center, but you need some big centers to lean on for the tough minutes.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Not really. Vanek and Poms are near double digits in points. Cody has 3 goals total. IMO, he's been riding the Vanek/Poms gravy train, pulling a Luke Adam.

Have you ever watched Hockey and had it NOT succumb to your preconceived opinion?