HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stay Classy Edmonton, The If We Don't Take Yakupov Thread

View Poll Results: If Tambelini does not select Yakupov 1st overall, what would your reaction be?
I'll be elated! 7 3.21%
I'll be disappointed, but still cheer for the guy we end up with 98 44.95%
My fanhood would be severly tested 97 44.50%
I'll jump ship 16 7.34%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Stay Classy Edmonton, The If We Don't Take Yakupov Thread

Now I know that we have a ton of draft threads, however in the event that we don't draft Nail #1 or trade the pick and draft further down, IMO it needs to be said. Please do not boo the guy that we draft. It is not the players fault, it is a managerial decision, if you have a beef with the issue take it out on the GM, Team President, and even the Head Scout. If it goes down it will not be re-done, it will be permanent and the last thing that we'd want to do is crap on a key part of our future.

Make the kid feel welcome whoever it maybe, show them that they are welcome but maybe that management isn't unless it shows that they made the right choice. Now I'm not saying that it's a foregone conclusion or anything, but this draft ha a different feel than the last 2 drafts have. The Oilers having 5 guys worthy of 1st overall consideration, 3 players visiting Edmonton, etc. it sure has the looks and feel of a different animal at this point in time.

Above all else, keep it classy, make the potential new player feel welcome and hope that management makes the right decision, and if it ends up that they don't, hold their feet to the fire like they deserve.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 06-14-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Merged Poll Thread With This One
Old
06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
eskies4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Now I know that we have a ton of draft threads, however in the event that we don't draft Nail #1 or trade the pick and draft further down, IMO it needs to be said. Please do not boo the guy that we draft. It is not the players fault, it is a managerial decision, if you have a beef with the issue take it out on the GM, Team President, and even the Head Scout. If it goes down it will not be re-done, it will be permanent and the last thing that we'd want to do is crap on a key part of our future.

Make the kid feel welcome whoever it maybe, show them that they are welcome but maybe that management isn't unless it shows that they made the right choice. Now I'm not saying that it's a foregone conclusion or anything, but this draft ha a different feel than the last 2 drafts have. The Oilers having 5 guys worthy of 1st overall consideration, 3 players visiting Edmonton, etc. it sure has the looks and feel of a different animal at this point in time.

Above all else, keep it classy, make the potential new player feel welcome and hope that management makes the right decision, and if it ends up that they don't, hold their feet to the fire like they deserve.
This...Whoever we take is a kid...Who knows if we don't take Yakupov and take Murray...Maybe Murray will turn out to be the better player...Of course I want Yakupov but I am fine with it..

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Soundwave

Honestly if Murray isn't a complete revelation on D, he's going to get killed here for having bad games if Yakupov goes on to be a star elsewhere.

And it will be 100x worse if Hall reinjures himself because then we'll have this gaping hole in our offense.

I hate to say it, but it will get ugly. For Murray's sake if nothing else I hope they pass. This is not going to be a fair situation for him and he doesn't have much in the way of help on the back end to boot.

I remember people were crapping on Pronger here for the first half of the 05-06 season, lol, and that's a true generational d-man who already was a proven Norris winner.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
This...Whoever we take is a kid...Who knows if we don't take Yakupov and take Murray...Maybe Murray will turn out to be the better player...Of course I want Yakupov but I am fine with it..
Exactly, Murray may not have the same star appeal but he has the tools to be a top end D for many, many years. And the last thing that we'd want to do is make him feel so unwelcome that he's out of here the first chance he gets.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Tyrolean

Only the most ignorant of fans would jeer a young player for things he cannot control. Most fans are not like that fortunately, but there will always be idiots.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Bryanbryoil

I'd honestly feel bad for whoever we'd pick not named Nail, Nail by most accounts is the most NHL ready guy in the draft with the possible exception of Murray. The problem is that D is a hell of a lot harder position to play than wing. IF we drafted Murray next year I'd say that a 5-15-20 year with him being -10 or so would be considered a successful rookie season all things considered.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
The thing is BBO. We as fans have seen this organization F* the trade down through and through.

I will not support this team any longer if they do something as stupid as many us believe is possible.. because.. hey.. it happened too bloody often!

/end rant

Nothing against Steve Kelly and MAP!

.. or even Plante whom we picked 20 picks above his legitimacy!

Old
06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Skm

I honestly don't think it would be an issue.

Like I've said before most casual, water cooler Oilers fans I speak with all say "we should draft a dman we have too many forwards" anyways. I honestly believe that would be the opinion of around 60% of the general fan base. I'm not talking about hfboards or people who do draft research, etc. I'm talking about the average guy/gal that gets an Oilers ticket from their work and goes to an occasional game.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Only the most ignorant of fans would jeer a young player for things he cannot control. Most fans are not like that fortunately, but there will always be idiots.
My hope is that if enough people read this thread it might put things in perspective. We have a lot of younger fans that have never been faced with a possibility like this, the Doan draft and the Parise draft being prime examples to those of us old enough to remember them. IMO in this case it wouldn't be that bad because I don't see Murray or Reinhart as Steve Kelly or Marc Antoine Pouliot caliber of prospects, but it would still kick some people in the groin to put it mildly.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

Like I've said before most casual, water cooler Oilers fans I speak with all say "we should draft a dman we have too many forwards" anyways. I honestly believe that would be the opinion of around 70% of the general fan base. I'm not talking about hfboards or people who do draft research, etc. I'm talking about the average guy/gal that gets an Oilers ticket from their work and goes to an occasional game.
Yakupov scores twice tonight.

Murray a -2 as the Oilers lose to the Flames tonight (maybe not specifically his fault, perhaps a victim of our shaky goaltending and/or loosey goosey defence).

On nights like this I think even "Joe Casual" fan is going to be watching TSN and thinking "what the **** did we do?". Or even on night's where Murray is a smooth/steady presence on the back end, I think people are going to get on him if he isn't producing big time numbers.

When you spend 200k on a car, you better be getting a Ferrari or a Lambo, not a souped up Honda Accord, as nice as the gas mileage is. When you have the no.1 overall pick, people want a superstar. And I can't really say I blame them.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Vagabond

Quote:

Like I've said before most casual, water cooler Oilers fans I speak with all say "we should draft a dman we have too many forwards" anyways. I honestly believe that would be the opinion of around 60% of the general fan base. I'm not talking about hfboards or people who do draft research, etc. I'm talking about the average guy/gal that gets an Oilers ticket from their work and goes to an occasional game.
Not a remark toward you but; seriously!

If Yako turns into a BUre say.. and we have too many forwards.. we can always move a coveted forward in the future to accommodate a top d'man!

You never pick on need!

You always win by picking the BPA!

Old
06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

People need to remember defencemen take time. You cant even judge Murray vs Yakupov till likely year 3.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:44 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Tambo needs to GTFO ASAP. I'll feel terrible for Murray because he's going to be absolutely murdered by the fans. He'll be a good player, but if Yakupov goes on to score 40-50 goals, he'll get ripped apart.

It's kind of like getting Silver after having the chance to get Gold. Sure Silver is awesome, but the bitterness of NOT having Gold will sink in and will just overcome the feeling of having Silver. The fans just won't be able to help it. And Tambo & Co. will be the ones to blame.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:44 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
People need to remember Defencemen take time. You cant even judge Murray till year 3.
He'll probably request a trade by then

Old
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Calgary McOilers

vCash: 2747
If the kid they pick doesn't work out, I hope the fans go and take it out on management and not the kid. I really like Murray but Yakupov has to the be the guy the Oilers choose next Friday. If it's not Yakupov, give the other kid a chance to show his worth first, then put the blame on management if it doesn't work out.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yakupov scores twice tonight.

Murray a -2 as the Oilers lose to the Flames tonight (maybe not specifically his fault, perhaps a victim of our shaky goaltending and/or loosey goosey defence).

On nights like this I think even "Joe Casual" fan is going to be watching TSN and thinking "what the **** did we do?". Or even on night's where Murray is a smooth/steady presence on the back end, I think people are going to get on him if he isn't producing big time numbers.
I totally agree and I would expect any Oilers fan to think that way. I'm just saying I don't think they would get booed on opening night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Not a remark toward you but; seriously!

If Yako turns into a BUre say.. and we have too many forwards.. we can always move a coveted forward in the future to accommodate a top d'man!

You never pick on need!

You always win by picking the BPA!
I completely agree my friend, I've been on the select Yakupov train since the draft lottery. Unless we were somehow (read: fantasy world) offered one of OEL, Pietrangelo, John Carlson+, etc. then there is no way we should be trading down or passing on Yakupov.

I was just stating that in my experience I don't think the casual fan will be that pissed (at first).

Old
06-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
The thing is BBO. We as fans have seen this organization F* the trade down through and through.

I will not support this team any longer if they do something as stupid as many us believe is possible.. because.. hey.. it happened too bloody often!

/end rant

Nothing against Steve Kelly and MAP!

.. or even Plante whom we picked 20 picks above his legitimacy!
I hated the Plante pick at the very moment it happened. We could have had Cherapnov. Yes I know he dies tragically, but at that point he was a way better gamble.

Fortunately we have a better drafting regime in place. It's not prefect as they still make bad 3rd choices but it is light years better than in the past.

Guess that is why the fans are so uptight at who we draft #1 due remembering the stupidity of the past.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Your average, everyday, drunken fan is going to boo him. It won't be fair, it won't be Murray's fault, it will be an emotional reaction from people who scream shoooooot at power plays.

And that's if things go well. Yakupov does well, and Murray struggles as he probably will in a tougher defensive position, or tops out as a Gilbert clone(non-physical, little offense)? Oh boy, look out, it's going to get real ugly.

This isn't a mid or late round pick, this is the first overall after an ugly season during the worst stretch of hockey in Edmonton's history. Parise/Pouliot and Kelly/Doan will be a minor hiccup by comparison if this ends badly.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
I completely agree my friend, I've been on the select Yakupov train since the draft lottery. Unless we were somehow (read: fantasy world) offered one of OEL, Pietrangelo, John Carlson+, etc. then there is no way we should be trading down or passing on Yakupov.

I was just stating that in my experience I don't think the casual fan will be that pissed (at first).
That's why my remarks are not directed towards you. more so the people you associate with.. not that my opinion is the be all and end all.

I agree with you as well. ; )

Old
oilersfan11

I'm not going to boo Murray when he is on the team.In my opinion it's not his fault that we have a bunch of clowns running this team.

Old
misfit
5-14-6-1

I have a really hard time believing any Oiler fan would boo the player taken instead of Yakupov. I could see Oiler fans in attendance at the draft booing the pick (if they take someone else at #1) or booing at the announcement of a trade of the #1, but I don't think whoever we pick needs to worry about the fans not supporting them.

Not many people were thrilled with the 2003 draft day trade, but Pouliot was never booed by Oiler fans (even when a lot of them wanted him gone in his last few seasons).

Like when Huston took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. They booed at the time, but there were a lot of #90 jerseys in the stands on opening night.

06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I hated the Plante pick at the very moment it happened. We could have had Cherapnov. Yes I know he dies tragically, but at that point he was a way better gamble.

Fortunately we have a better drafting regime in place. It's not prefect as they still make bad 3rd choices but it is light years better than in the past.

Guess that is why the fans are so uptight at who we draft #1 due remembering the stupidity of the past.
I totally agree. Cherry was the bpa at that given time. Nobody can predict a premature death or any off ice circumstance.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I'm not going to boo Murray when he is on the team.In my opinion it's not his fault that we have a bunch of clowns running this team.
This IMO is how it should be viewed, another thing would be to boo the hell out of Tambo and co. when they walk up to the podium to make the pick if they trade down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I have a really hard time believing any Oiler fan would boo the player taken instead of Yakupov. I could see Oiler fans in attendance at the draft booing the pick (if they take someone else at #1) or booing at the announcement of a trade of the #1, but I don't think whoever we pick needs to worry about the fans not supporting them.

Not many people were thrilled with the 2003 draft day trade, but Pouliot was never booed by Oiler fans (even when a lot of them wanted him gone in his last few seasons).

Like when Huston took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. They booed at the time, but there were a lot of #90 jerseys in the stands on opening night.
The biggest difference between this and Pouliot, is that this is the 1st overall pick, Parise and a number of other guys fell to our pick, this time we have the pick of the litter and by most accounts that pick is Nail.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Vagabond

Quote:

Great point!

I 100% agree with your point of view. I will never direct blame towards a young kid pre-ejaculated out of the draft. That is management/scouting's blame!

Old
06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:

I don't think anyone would boo him. I do worry he could face the Shawn Horcoff treatment though.

Closed Thread