HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part VIII: Gagner on the block?

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
vanek put up 60pts playing with bums, if we was shotgun to RNH and hall he would hit 80-90ish. that allows eberle to play the 2nd line which will allow him to score up into the 75-85 range as well.

the real problem i have with the trade is that after the top 8 or so the draft significantly drops off. 12 isnt really much for value.
I highly doubt we'd get 155-175 points out of our top 2 RWs.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
BloFan4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
vanek put up 60pts playing with bums, if we was shotgun to RNH and hall he would hit 80-90ish. that allows eberle to play the 2nd line which will allow him to score up into the 75-85 range as well.

the real problem i have with the trade is that after the top 8 or so the draft significantly drops off. 12 isnt really much for value.
What if we throw in 42 so you could package the 12th, 31st, 42nd to move back up into top 10??

Old
06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Bobblehead

In the imagination running wild category. Dreger reports Kane may be in play. Also that Pavelec wants big contract - multi year, over $4M per season. Do you consider :

Kane, Pavelec and Enstrom (after negotiating with Pavelec of course) for 1st overall, Paajarvi, Khabibulin (Win needs to get to cap floor), Musil and conditional 2 rnd pick (for resigning Enstrom)?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
What if we throw in 42 so you could package the 12th, 31st, 42nd to move back up into top 10??
It still couldn't work. Vanek is was too expensive.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Well he makes 6.4 million for the next 2 years if that makes it any better.

I wouldn't say he is declining at all. He was on fire coming out last season, then as injuries happened, himself and the team, he definitely struggled a bit. I would say he is a 70 point winger, can play either side. He may be even more on a team like Edmonton. He doesn't get a lot of ice time here and Lindy system is all about putting defense before offense. This has allowed him to become a really good 2 way player but may have hurt his stats a little bit.

I know how you guys feel with just wanting to win now. In Buffalo we have been doing it for years with the Bills. Just thinking maybe you guys would want more of an immediate impact and a veteran who could help out such a young team over another great prospect.
Yeah fair enough I forgot about injuries and how all of his linemates struggled too. I don't know if we want to win "now" bad enough because I think Yakupov will have similar/higher production than Vanek over his career, and cheaper too.

I'd much rather keep the pick and draft Yakupov. That being said, I'd probably rather have the 12th + Vanek over Murray at #1.

Not a terrible trade proposal, better than a lot we see, but like it was mentioned above if that pick was maybe #8/9 and someone we coveted fell. There does seem to be a drop off after the first 8/9 prospects.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I highly doubt we'd get 155-175 points out of our top 2 RWs.
Yeah, just not enough ice time and PP time to go around to get both of them in the 80 pt range. One would dip.

Old
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Why would you rather have Vanek than Yakupov...?

One is 18 and one has a 7+ mil contract. This makes no sense to me.

Maybe 12th OV and Myers for Yak.
Vanek is a very skilled player and has shown when put with talented players he pots 40 goals. He also makes us bigger up front the only problem is his salary. Buffalo would have to add to take on that big contract imo.

Old
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The more and more I think about trading Sam Gagner the more and more I start to dislike it. Sam made some pretty big strides last year and looked a lot faster until he hurt his ankle.

If he focuses on foot speed again this summer than he might be able to make that next step this season. Playing on a line with Hemsky and Yakupov will only help him as well.

Sam is only 22 and has already got multiple 40+ point seasons under his belt.

His trade value right now is not nearly as high as it can be, If we are actually thinking of trading him it better be for a overpayment otherwise lets see what he can do this year.

Trading him for a pick is really taking a step back and delaying the rebuild even longer. I don't know if the Oilers are willing to do that.

In my opinion if they are set on trading Gagner they should try to package Gagner for an upgrade on 2C.
I feel quite the opposite on this topic. I have no interest in a 5'9 centre. Gagner's ceiling is no higher than Mike Comrie IMO. Infact, Comrie was ahead of Gagner at the same stage of his career.
If the Oil could get Carolina's 8th, like some rumours suggest, I'd take that and run. I would love to see Dubinsky as our second line center and they're reports that he's available. Some size in the top 6 would be nice because with Gagner, Yakupov, Hemsky, Eberle, RNH, we're just too small to compete on a nightly basis. I would love a little more sandpaper in the top 6.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
If the Oilers are that keen on Murray, why would they do the trade with Toronto?

It's doubtful to me that Murray will be there at #5, unless NYI bollocks it up by taking a forward or Reinhart, Reilly, Dumba etc instead of Murray.

If they want the #5 because they want Gardiner/Schenn and then Reinhart then do they really need to go after Schultz?

I think the Schultz angle is affecting what they're going to do at the draft, I can see Tambo saying "well I'm going to get Gardiner because he'll help the team regardless and maybe helps us get Schultz".

So does he take Reinhart at 5 or Grigorenko?
IMO if you get Gardiner+5 you are no longer looking at a Dman, you pray to god one of the two centers make it to you (which seems reasonably likely, depends on forsberg mostly)

Quote:
What would you guys think about about Vanek and 12th overall for 1st overall??
No, not interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Tempting but Buffalo signed him to a outrageous contract.

haha yeah...oopsies, thanks for cleaning up our mess buffalo.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
SometimesY

I wish these rumours were about Belanger instead of Gagner.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
joestevens29

I wonder if Pavelec and the 9th for Reimer and the 5th is a possibility.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Shero confirms that he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season, declines to say if he's asked any to waive no-trade clause.

Expect some action out of Pittsburg this summer. I assume Martin for sure, but who else would they consider trading? Michalek?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
I feel quite the opposite on this topic. I have no interest in a 5'9 centre. Gagner's ceiling is no higher than Mike Comrie IMO. Infact, Comrie was ahead of Gagner at the same stage of his career.
If the Oil could get Carolina's 8th, like some rumours suggest, I'd take that and run. I would love to see Dubinsky as our second line center and they're reports that he's available. Some size in the top 6 would be nice because with Gagner, Yakupov, Hemsky, Eberle, RNH, we're just too small to compete on a nightly basis. I would love a little more sandpaper in the top 6.
Gagner is not 5'9 I have met him and I am 6'2 he is 5'11 at least.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I wonder if Pavelec and the 9th for Reimer and the 5th is a possibility.
I can't see Burke trading his pick down for a wildcard goaltender.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
oilers4life5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The more and more I think about trading Sam Gagner the more and more I start to dislike it. Sam made some pretty big strides last year and looked a lot faster until he hurt his ankle.

If he focuses on foot speed again this summer than he might be able to make that next step this season. Playing on a line with Hemsky and Yakupov will only help him as well.

Sam is only 22 and has already got multiple 40+ point seasons under his belt.

His trade value right now is not nearly as high as it can be, If we are actually thinking of trading him it better be for a overpayment otherwise lets see what he can do this year.

Trading him for a pick is really taking a step back and delaying the rebuild even longer. I don't know if the Oilers are willing to do that.

In my opinion if they are set on trading Gagner they should try to package Gagner for an upgrade on 2C.
Totally agree with all of this. I think peeps are just consumed by the draft right now.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Shero confirms that he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season, declines to say if he's asked any to waive no-trade clause.

Expect some action out of Pittsburg this summer. I assume Martin for sure, but who else would they consider trading? Michalek?
Maybe Niskanen? It was reported there was a mutual interest in resignng but he rejected his qualifying offer.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

My memory is shot at the moment, but Niskanen? He going to arbitration?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
^^Brooks Orpik would be my guess.

Apart from Martin, he was the other D-man that didn't fit Bylsma's uptempo offensive system.

He's on a contract which is worth $3.75M/yr for the next two years, which is a fairly hefty pricetag for a guy who doesn't fit your system.

06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I can't see Burke trading his pick down for a wildcard goaltender.
BUrke is a wildcard

Old
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Maybe Niskanen? It was reported there was a mutual interest in resignng but he rejected his qualifying offer.
Thank you that's what I read, although qualifying offer being rejected isn't exactly a shock.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
oilers4life5

God no to Jbo and Vanek. Please nooooo!

Old
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
^^Brooks Orpik would be my guess.

Apart from Martin, he was the other D-man that didn't fit Bylsma's uptempo offensive system.

He's on a contract which is worth $3.75M/yr for the next two years, which is a fairly hefty pricetag for a guy who doesn't fit your system.
Moving him would be a mistake. Most physical d-man they have and plays big PK minutes.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Thank you that's what I read, although qualifying offer being rejected isn't exactly a shock.
Yeah I assume that deal will get done. Everything I've heard they love Niskanen in Pitts. I think Oilbleeder may be right, I wouldn't be shocked to see Orpik gone from there.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Moving him would be a mistake. Most physical d-man they have and plays big PK minutes.
Yep, if Fleury can't stop the puck & they trade Orpik, that could make for a long season.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah I assume that deal will get done. Everything I've heard they love Niskanen in Pitts. I think Oilbleeder may be right, I wouldn't be shocked to see Orpik gone from there.
So what exactly is the plan if they move Martin and Orpik or whoever? I heard they have two rookies that are ready to make the jump, but this is PIT not EDM. Playing two rookies and finding out they aren't ready could be a huge mistake.

Closed Thread