HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part VIII: Gagner on the block?

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Hall better be translating to center or we better be drafting one of those centers that can fill in for Gagner if he's traded. I don't want Horcoff playing on the second line today. I am still a Gagner fan, he actually has talent on the wing to perform with these days.

Give Hall the 'C'

Old
06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
yakupov has indicated he can play any forward position. It may be easier to find another winger or just slot MPS into the top 6

MPS - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Yakupov - Hemsky

??

Old
06-19-2012, 04:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Hall better be translating to center or we better be drafting one of those centers that can fill in for Gagner if he's traded. I don't want Horcoff playing on the second line today. I am still a Gagner fan, he actually has talent on the wing to perform with these days.

Give Hall the 'C'
Hall to center makes no sense. He isn't smart enough to play center and how he plays the game he'll get killed trying to split the d.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4459
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Do you think Edmonton is going to be a cap team before Horcoff's contract expries and RNH comes off his ELC?
His cap hit aside...he's a putrid hockey player, just plain awful. That's reason enough to dump him.

Old
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Love how all of the haters have come out to play! We weren't getting as much the last two years, but ever since TO and MON were in the lottery...... all it's been is hate.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You never know. Either way it would save ownership some cash.
It is too risky to get close to the cap without knowing what Hall, Eberle, and Nuge's second contracts are going to look like.

Given Katz's reported friendship with Horcoff, I'm sure he doesn't care too much about the overpay. Plus Horcoff is only receiving an average of $4.3 million per year in actual money over the remainder of the contract.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
yakupov has indicated he can play any forward position. It may be easier to find another winger or just slot MPS into the top 6

MPS - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Yakupov - Hemsky

??
I think that's more an indication of his can-do attitude than an objective assessment of his capabilities. He also said he could play goal. Kid just wants to play.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Love how all of the haters have come out to play! We weren't getting as much the last two years, but ever since TO and MON were in the lottery...... all it's been is hate.
I liked it better when Florida was our running mate, haha. Not enough fans to troll us.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
His cap hit aside...he's a putrid hockey player, just plain awful. That's reason enough to dump him.
He's a terrible 2C. He's not a bad 3C (assuming the coach actually gives him 3C minutes next season).

Old
06-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
And last year it was Ottawa fans with some beauty's Like Runblad>>Rnh Cowen >> than the first overall cuase he was great in the AHL playoffs whoever they drafted at 6th was going to be better than RNH. Now Montreal And Toronto fans saying the same type of garbage . If they had the 1st it would be a kings ransom for it But since Oilers have it its lost all its value. I don't let that crap get to me just shows how those fans have very little hockey knowledge. Oilers have gained a lot more haters since I joined here in 2010 And its cause they know we are going to be a Powerhouse that has not been seen since the 90s.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4459
Quote:
He's a terrible 2C. He's not a bad 3C (assuming the coach actually gives him 3C minutes next season).
Let's hope you're right. We all know he isn't going anywhere so maybe if he plays the appropriate minutes I won't have such a dislike for the guy...haha.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
ThePresent83

Yeah people really need to stop including Gagner in trade predictions or proposals with out attaching some 2C solution. Is Hall really the answer there?

These same people will be *****ing if we trade Gagner and then have Horcoff as 2C

Last edited by ThePresent83: 06-19-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old
06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
Yeah people really need to stop including Gagner in trade predictions or proposals with out attaching some 2C solution. Is Hall really the answer there?

These same people will be *****ing if we trade Gagner and then have Horcoff as 2C
Or you sign or trade for someone in the short term. Derek Roy or Olli Jokinen are both attainable options.

The Oilers can BOTH trade Gagner and Buyout Horcoff, and still be in good enough shape down the middle in the short term. There are centers in UFA that are cheaper and do what Horcoff does, there are guys you can get in trade that do what Gagner did.

You can't "patch" a #1 center, but you can patch work the 2-4 centers.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Or you sign or trade for someone in the short term. Derek Roy or Olli Jokinen are both attainable options.
Then I'd entertain trading Gagner AFTER signing one of those two. But we both know its one thing to say that there are 2 decent options to fill that hole, and a whole different thing to say that we have a good chance of getting one of them. Jokinen and Roy are going to be pursued LIKE 1st liners due to the lack of center options in free agency. I would love to be in on them, but we will have issues attracting them at a price that fits our model moving forward.

This management team has done some inept things, but I think they would be setting a new low if they trade our only viable option as a #2C before we have a solution. Especially if we are trying to present the image of taking steps forward.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Might be reading wayyyy too much into this but Stu on Jason Gregor show and Gregor called him a "gentleman" and Stu laughed and said he hopes he's still a gentleman after Friday.
Maybe setting up some anger to be directed his way???

Old
06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Might be reading wayyyy too much into this but Stu on Jason Gregor show and Gregor called him a "gentleman" and Stu laughed and said he hopes he's still a gentleman after Friday.
I got the feeling listening to the interview that he was on board with Yak. I think he was just trying to make a joke about the fact that we as a fan base will be scrutinizing every pick down through the entire draft.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
With the 1st overall selection, the Edmonton Oilers are so proud to select.....

Derrik ROSE!!!!!

Old
06-19-2012, 04:48 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:

But if he's not the guy we want in the 2c slot, and you have a chance to get something of value for him, why not do it? If he isn't in the long-term plans, than we technically have a hole at 2c, regardless if Gagner is here or not.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
It is too risky to get close to the cap without knowing what Hall, Eberle, and Nuge's second contracts are going to look like.

Given Katz's reported friendship with Horcoff, I'm sure he doesn't care too much about the overpay. Plus Horcoff is only receiving an average of $4.3 million per year in actual money over the remainder of the contract.
This is my feeling as well. Horcoff isn't a terrible 3rd line centre, as long as that is how he is used. Playing over 20 minute almost every game was just sad. I doubt he is going anywhere until at least his contract runs out.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:

This management team has done some inept things, but I think they would be setting a new low if they trade our only viable option as a #2C before we have a solution. Especially if we are trying to present the image of taking steps forward.
So in the end it comes down to YOUR feelings and general reservations, you're not actually looking at the reality of the situation. That's fine, you don't have to, but if you say

"OH Noes, trades Gagner, Hole at #2C, NOOO" and it's based on some assumption that it can't be filled, that's completely false.

This is sort one of the biggest problems I see over and over here, everyone wants change, but no one wants changes.

The Oilers could trade Gagner and Buyout Horcoff and see very little difference in what their center ice position would bring to the table. Again, patching #2-4 centers is ALOT easier then Patching a #1, which the Oilers don't have to do ANYMORE.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
joestevens29

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing ANA's Bobby Ryan is "available" again after being taken off trade market after Randy Carlyle's Duck departure.

Here's a guy we have to make a pitch for. Although maybe a team like CBJ has the inside track as they have the proven player ANA would want.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing ANA's Bobby Ryan is "available" again after being taken off trade market after Randy Carlyle's Duck departure.

Here's a guy we have to make a pitch for. Although maybe a team like CBJ has the inside track as they have the proven player ANA would want.
Size and skill in the top-6, what would you move?

Gagner and 1st overall for Ryan and 8th?

Old
06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Koto

Quote:
Stauffer stating that the Oilers can take a "bad" contract back to improve the blueline and then mentioned Pittsburgh. The Prime Minister?
Please no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Draft Day Proposals.

Montreal certainly doesn't mind a Russian superstar. They need to add some offensive flair to their popgun offense.

Montreal: gets #1 from Edmonton.
Edmonton: gets #3 from Montreal, Montreal's 2nd round pick and Yannick Weber.

Edmonton trades Linus Omark to Columbus on the condition that CBJ does not draft Ryan Murray

Montreal drafts Nail Yakupov at #1.
Columbus drafts Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Forsberg at #2.
Edmonton drafts Ryan Murray at #3.
Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
The prospal now:

Vanek
12th overall
42nd overall

for

1st overall

Is there any bad contract you would want the Sabres to take on to lessen the blow of Vanek's contract which I don't feel is all that bad. 6.4 million is the going rate and that is only for the next two years. You have a guy like Nash who is making around 7.8 million for the next 6 years.

I know this is a while from now, but you also have to think about the future with resigning all these number one picks. Just something to keep in mind.
Still no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'd rather draft Yakupov and live with Horcoff for three more years.
Me too.

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie

We do really need to address our lack of scoring wingers.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
ClydeGuy

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie

No big plays for wingers. This team doesn't need wingers. He's no better than any of the big 4 so why bother. Now if Getzlaf was available...

Old
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Size and skill in the top-6, what would you move?

Gagner and 1st overall for Ryan and 8th?
Can we throw Omark for Schultz in?

With that being said I'd be very willing to do 1st for Ryan.

How many f-bombs does Boudreau release when he finds out that he is getting a mini-ovechkin?

Closed Thread