Josh Harding (3 years, $1.9M Cap Hit)

Old
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Maybe it'll teach him that he's not Marty Brodeur with the puck and he should just let his defensemen handle it instead of doing it himself.
To be fair, Brodeur wasn't exactly spotless with his puckhandling these playoffs. He definitely made a couple mistakes. I think Quick and Bryz made more though.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Maybe it'll teach him that he's not Marty Brodeur with the puck and he should just let his defensemen handle it instead of doing it himself.
Well its not his fault that half the defensemen in this organization handle the puck like its a live grenade.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:11 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Well its not his fault that half the defensemen in this organization handle the puck like its a live grenade.
LMFAO! Good point. Sad but true.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Take the trapezoid already.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Pretty funny how many think Backs is on his way out before the season even starts. Not happening.
I think he'll be with the Wild till the deadline at least but there is no way he's on this team for the 2013-14 season.

Rabid Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
I think he'll be with the Wild till the deadline at least but there is no way he's on this team for the 2013-14 season.
Possibly but I'm not 100% sure about that. For all we know Hackett may totally collapse this year and we'll have no one to call up goaltending-wise come the 2013-2014 season. Or maybe Kuemper steps up and takes the Houston starting role away from Hackett this year. As of right now it looks like Hackett will arrive after this season but stranger things have happened.

Obviously the Harding signing likely means Backs will be gone but if Hackett needs another year in Houston after this season (god forbid), I wouldn't be against signing Backs to a one year deal. I've always wanted Backstrom to be the one to help Hackett into the NHL and mentor him, but for that to happen Harding would have to be gone.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Possibly but I'm not 100% sure about that. For all we know Hackett may totally collapse this year and we'll have no one to call up goaltending-wise come the 2013-2014 season. Or maybe Kuemper steps up and takes the Houston starting role away from Hackett this year. As of right now it looks like Hackett will arrive after this season but stranger things have happened.
This. I'm a huge Hackett fan, and am sure he'll be our goaltender of the future, but he could easily end up just totally collapsing. Ottawa fans at this time a year ago were certain that Robin Lehner would be their star goalie in just a few years, but then he put up 3.26GAA and 0.907 Sv% in 40 games in Binghamton this year. It's not yet time for us to put all our eggs in the Hackett basket. If Hackett puts up another stellar season in Houston, we'll probably cut Backstrom loose in the next year. But if he struggles, or if Kuemper starts to emerge as the go to guy in Houston, we might see another season of Backs yet.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
This. I'm a huge Hackett fan, and am sure he'll be our goaltender of the future, but he could easily end up just totally collapsing. Ottawa fans at this time a year ago were certain that Robin Lehner would be their star goalie in just a few years, but then he put up 3.26GAA and 0.907 Sv% in 40 games in Binghamton this year. It's not yet time for us to put all our eggs in the Hackett basket. If Hackett puts up another stellar season in Houston, we'll probably cut Backstrom loose in the next year. But if he struggles, or if Kuemper starts to emerge as the go to guy in Houston, we might see another season of Backs yet.
God that's absolutely brutal. A .907 Sv% isn't good but it's not terrible either. I've never heard of a goalie with a .900 Sv% or higher have a GAA that bad. Was Binghamton just terrible as a team this year or what?

Old
06-20-2012, 02:53 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
God that's absolutely brutal. A .907 Sv% isn't good but it's not terrible either. I've never heard of a goalie with a .900 Sv% or higher have a GAA that bad. Was Binghamton just terrible as a team this year or what?
Glancing at the standings, they finished dead last in the AHL last year. Also of note is that Mark Parrish finished 7th in scoring for them with 30 points in 51 games.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Glancing at the standings, they finished dead last in the AHL last year. Also of note is that Mark Parrish finished 7th in scoring for them with 30 points in 51 games.
I see Da Costa got 36 points in 46 games as well.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
mplspug

I can see Backstrom coming back after next year, but he's going to have to take a pay cut. The Wild probably won't have any pressure to sign him, so I'd guess he'll have to settle for something in the upper $4Ms to low $5Ms

mplspug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:24 AM
LemaireisGOD

I think Backstrom...

Could return to play in Europe, maybe even the Swiss league. I don't think many NHL teams will want to pay him anything more than $4 million a season.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Ismellofhockey

Ottawa still thinks Lehner is their goaltender of the future. Lehner plays better in the NHL than in the AHL. He remains a highly valued asset and a top prospect.
Still, his disappointing play in the AHL was worrisome enough to acquire Ben Bishop. Just FYI.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Ottawa still thinks Lehner is their goaltender of the future. Lehner plays better in the NHL than in the AHL. He remains a highly valued asset and a top prospect.
Still, his disappointing play in the AHL was worrisome enough to acquire Ben Bishop. Just FYI.
That's more or less what I was trying to get at. We've seen how great Hackett can be, but he could easily have a year like Lehner that completely changes our mind on how soon he'll be ready. Also, we have such depth in net, Kuemper or Gustafsson could break out and overtake him.

I doubt it happens, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Could return to play in Europe, maybe even the Swiss league. I don't think many NHL teams will want to pay him anything more than $4 million a season.
I think his next contract will be around that 4 million range. I can't see him getting more.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
LemaireisGOD

I think Hackett is pretty safe...

He wasn't to blame for the Aeros lack of success in the post-season, a lack of offense was. I still think Hackett's future is very bright with the Wild. I just hope this news doesn't sour him.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I think it'd make him happier knowing that he isn't going to have to play 60 games right away in the NHL.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Hards got great attitude! And i don't think it's so high, he's a good back-up if needed. I like it.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplspug View Post
I can see Backstrom coming back after next year, but he's going to have to take a pay cut. The Wild probably won't have any pressure to sign him, so I'd guess he'll have to settle for something in the upper $4Ms to low $5Ms
Backstrom is going to be 35 next year...I think it's clear the Wild are going in a different direction. Backstrom will not be back.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
LMFAO! Good point. Sad but true.
And Zidlicky quickly passes it up the center in his own zone, to no one, oh no! It was intercepted by King of the Kings, he goes in a straight line at mediocre speed, Zidlicky tries to get back to recover from his mistake and ends up tripping...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplspug View Post

Serious?

Why would Fletcher bring him back? We have 3 solid goalie prospects and now have Harding for another 3 years. The only way Backstrom is back next year is, if our goalie prospects have horrible years and or major injuries... and Backs is willing to make around $2 on a one year deal, back up.... Harding had to be promised a serious shot at the starting job next season... the writing is on the wall.

Backs will only be traded if Burke offers his 2nd round pick for him. Otherwise, Backs is here to stay in my eyes, just like PMB. Time will run its course

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

yeah, not confident Hards can last a season and that's a pretty big fire you're shoving Hackett into if Harding goes down. It all depends on how harding looks this year. If he gets injured again, you're mental if you think we're going to run with a Harding Hackett tandem the next season.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
yeah, not confident Hards can last a season and that's a pretty big fire you're shoving Hackett into if Harding goes down. It all depends on how harding looks this year. If he gets injured again, you're mental if you think we're going to run with a Harding Hackett tandem the next season.
Unless Hackett has a phenomenal season next year and the organization deems him ready. He's the one that will dictate Backstrom's non-retainment.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Unless Hackett has a phenomenal season next year and the organization deems him ready. He's the one that will dictate Backstrom's non-retainment.
half agree. Looking phenomenal in the AHL =/= good goalie in the NHL. it's a promising sign, but if we're a team that wants to compete I don't see Fletcher taking that kind of chance. I'd waive Harding (as soon as he was off the injury list) and extend Backs if possible. For all we know he plans on heading back to Finland.
edit: extend Backs as an expensive plan "B" if need be and see if Hackett floats.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:23 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I'd bet the Wild take a short term deal on a different ufa goalie next year over Backs, if they think Hackett isn't ready. Backs won't be back.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote