HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XII - For Your 1st-and-a-Prospect Only (Mod warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
The point is I doubt Gillis wants to give Chicago any reason to become a better team, for a marginally better return than he would get anywhere else, not that Luongo doesn't want to go there.
Sure Gillis may have no intentions of trading him to Chicago or Edmonton, but that won't stop him to listening to offers from them to drive up the price.

He could easily go to Burke and say look, Chicago is offering me X, can u top that or give me similar value? He gets a similarly valued offer that may be a little less but then he goes to Chicago and says, look Toronto is offering me X, its a little worse but it sends Lou to the East. Can u top it? Chicago tops it and then Gillis goes back to the Leafs until they don't match or top the trade offer from Chicago. Then depending on how big the difference is Gillis makes a choice. If the offer from Toronto is a lot worse, give them 1 more call letting them know they have a day to up their offer as they have chosen to decline the offer and will be faxing in the trade papers with Chicago tomorrow if they do not receive a better offer

Old
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
except lindback is very young, has great starter potential, and most likely will be a great goalie for 10-15 years to come. If leafs are going to give up 3 former first round picks for a 5-6 years of service form Luongo, I say screw it.

TBH I just dont want to pay for a goalie who is past his prime and only has a couple of years left of hockey, no matter how good he is. I'd rather go with the risk acquire a young goalie who has plenty of hockey left in him, and groom him into a good starter.
Great starter potential w/ arthritis ? Ummm ... no ... Maybe a great tandem goalie at best ...

If Burke wants to keep his job in Toronto, he has to make the team better THIS year. Luongo for futures makes Toronto a much better team this year.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
5-6 years of Luongo level goaltending and you wouldn't give up: Ashton, Colborne and a 2013 1st?

And Canuck fans get called "delusional"....that is freaking Laughable!
If they think that Gillis can rid his team of a $46 million commitment that easily then that is a good word for them.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
If Burke wants to keep his job in Toronto, he has to make the team better THIS year.
Link?

Old
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
So the thread title was a bit of a stretch. Some are easier to do than others...
*All thread titles are jokes, do not take seriously*

The other ones:
Roberto Luongo I - Dr Luooooo
Roberto Luongo II - From Vancouver With Love
Roberto Luongo III - Goldwinner
Roberto Luongo IV - Thunderpuck
Roberto Luongo V - You Only Get Traded to Florida Twice
Roberto Luongo VI - On Her Majesty's Secret Tire Pumping Service
Roberto Luongo VII - Jennings are Forever
Roberto Luongo VIII - Sieve and Let Die
Roberto Luongo IX - The Man With The Golden Medal
Roberto Luongo X - The GM Who Loved Me
Roberto Luongo XI - Luoraker

For reference, here the list of James Bond films I am basing the thread titles off of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_films

Be Nice.

------------------------------------------------------------

MOD WARNING - Please stay civil around here. If you cannot stand the thread - ignore it. If a user is trolling/flaming/baiting - REPORT THE POST.
Can't wait for the next one!

Note: Octo***** is the next Bond film, for those too lazy to follow the link

Old
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Sure Gillis may have no intentions of trading him to Chicago or Edmonton, but that won't stop him to listening to offers from them to drive up the price.

He could easily go to Burke and say look, Chicago is offering me X, can u top that or give me similar value? He gets a similarly valued offer that may be a little less but then he goes to Chicago and says, look Toronto is offering me X, its a little worse but it sends Lou to the East. Can u top it? Chicago tops it and then Gillis goes back to the Leafs until they don't match or top the trade offer from Chicago. Then depending on how big the difference is Gillis makes a choice. If the offer from Toronto is a lot worse, give them 1 more call letting them know they have a day to up their offer as they have chosen to decline the offer and will be faxing in the trade papers with Chicago tomorrow if they do not receive a better offer
Yes that is how negotiations usually work. It would be up to Burke to decide how high he will go, and personally I don't think Burke is willing to give up that much for Luongo. I disagree and think we need him, but that is Burke not me. I have explained why Burke would be willing to walk away, so you threatening Leaf fans with a bad season if we don't make a trade really is pointless, since I can't see Burke (the one making the trade) paying too much for Luongo.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Chicago doesn't have a glaring need for a goalie, and many have suggested they are going to stick with Crawford. Plus it takes two to tango, why would they want Luongo? Add that on top of what I have already said and Chicago cannot be considered a realistic trading partner for Luongo.

Anything is possible yes, but realistic trade partners for Luongo as of now are Toronto, and Florida.
You're clearly not familiar w/ Chicago's team.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:15 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If they think that Gillis can rid his team of a $46 million commitment that easily then that is a good word for them.
Do you REALLY think it's that big of a deal for a team like the Leafs? Dude you guys **** money.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:15 PM
embracedbias

Ah, well the hell. Octo***** is bleeped out. ***** mother****ering ***** ******* forum

Old
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Liferleafer
Feed the Chicken!!

Quote:
And Leafs fans have this hard-on for getting Luongo for garbage that Vancouver doesn't want or need (TBH, the 5th overall pick, Gardiner, Schenn, etc. aren't going to make them any better).
Right....cause the top 5 pick Boston got didn't help them at all.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
You're clearly not familiar w/ Chicago's team.
Did you not read the rest of that sentence? Crawford to many is the solution and he is already there.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:20 PM
stavs

Quote:
Great starter potential w/ arthritis ? Ummm ... no ... Maybe a great tandem goalie at best ...

If Burke wants to keep his job in Toronto, he has to make the team better THIS year. Luongo for futures makes Toronto a much better team this year.
burke said he's not trading the future for a veteran, sorry bud

Old
06-19-2012, 03:20 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Right....cause the top 5 pick Boston got didn't help them at all.
The first year, Seguin was a 4th liner/healthy scratch w/ marginal impact in the majority of games. So, no, that pick didn't really help that year.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:22 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Did you not read the rest of that sentence? Crawford to many is the solution and he is already there.
And the solution in Leaf-land is Reimer ... Tell me, does Reimer or Crawford give any team a realistic chance at winning the Cup next year?

Old
06-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Skead

Quote:
The cap will come down. The NHLPA wants more say in league operations, better retirement benefits, and a host of other things and the thing the owners want the most is more money.

The NHLPA knows full well that they're going to have to make salary concessions in order to get some of the things they want. I assume it'll probably drop to somewhere in the area of a 52/48 split to a 55/45 split as opposed to the current 57/43 split.
It's possible the cap would come down, but in return they'd be getting an in-direct payment of better operations, retirement benefits, etc, so I personally wouldn't see that as a paycut.

Even with the numbers you threw out there, that was not too much of an aggressive drop where we're not scrambling for cap space.

ps. Hi James!

Old
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
burke said he's not trading the future for a veteran, sorry bud
Then Toronto will likely miss the playoffs again and he'll probably be unemployed next summer.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
arsmaster

If the Canucks signed Patrik Stefan out of retirement, could we trade it to Edmonton for 1st overall?

I mean Leafs fans are telling me where a player was drafted determines his value.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
CommonMeans put me onto a Calgary blogger that had a number of these listed. It is by no means a bias-less list, but there are some heavy overpayments there to match any "steal" deals.
So, pretty much the same as any other position.

Old
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

Quote:
Chicago doesn't have a glaring need for a goalie, and many have suggested they are going to stick with Crawford. Plus it takes two to tango, why would they want Luongo? Add that on top of what I have already said and Chicago cannot be considered a realistic trading partner for Luongo.

Anything is possible yes, but realistic trade partners for Luongo as of now are Toronto, and Florida.
Not a glaring need, but anyone can see it is their position of weakness. San Jose is in a similar position, they don't need to tear down their team to improve, but goaltending is a position that could use an improvement. Not a "NEED" but a want perhaps, or an are to focus on.

Florida and Toronto make the most sense, New Jersey could depening on the Brodeur situation, but "dark horse teams" like Columbus, Edmonton, Chicago, Ottawa (my brother is a fan, and him and his, which is about as credible as HF, are into a possible upgrade), Philly (same deal...not a need, but Bryz++ for Lu could get their interest I'm sure too) and other unlikely but sensical destinations are what are looking sparkly and shiny to me at the moment, even if the return isn't as grandoise as I'd once hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
You forgot, convientiently, that there is an all star, Vezina nominated goalie attatched to that contract. It's not Wade Redden, or Gomez (also moved...with a terrible contract...for about market value in Higgins and a prospect), or Finger, or Huet we're talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Link?
Link me to where Luongo NEEDS to be moved. Or where he has asked. Or where the "5 teams" game from. Somethings are just common sense, or are taken on faith.

Old
AlmightyPO

Quote:
And the solution in Leaf-land is Reimer ... Tell me, does Reimer or Crawford give any team a realistic chance at winning the Cup next year?
Why don't you ask Burke or Bowman that? They would be the ones making the decisions.

I'm not too familiar with Bowman's opinion on Crawford but I know Burke thinks Reimer is the "real deal" and I wouldn't be surprised if we start next year with him as our starter. Never said I agreed with that opinion but they are the ones making the moves not us.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Why don't you ask Burke or Bowman that? They would be the ones making the decisions.

I'm not familiar with Bowman's opinion on Crawford but I know Burke thinks Reimer is the "real deal" and I wouldn't be surprised if we start next year with him as our starter.
Correction. You know that Burke 'says' that he believes that Reimer is the real deal. I'd be surprised if Burke was actually going to rely on Reimer to be a starting goalie. After last year, injury or not, any GM would not be relying on Reimer to carry the load as a starter.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
If the Canucks signed Patrik Stefan out of retirement, could we trade it to Edmonton for 1st overall?

I mean Leafs fans are telling me where a player was drafted determines his value.
I don't understand why Ballard doesn't have more value then? He was drafted 11th overall

Old
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
kack zassian

Toronto Fans

Can you rank these players/assets in terms of willing you are to move them?
It would probably help get a better idea of how a package could be worked out
(Maybe give each player a 1-5, 1 being not desirable to trade, 5 being very tradeable)

- Luke Schenn
- Nikolai Kulemin
- Clarke MacArthur
- Carter Ashton
- Nazem Kadri
- Joe Colborne
- Matt Frattin
- 2013 1st
- 2012 2nd

(Note I left Gardiner/5th/LACK out)

Old
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Link?
http://media.thestar.topscms.com/ima...8aebb94a40.jpg

After the apology letter, the next step is to get rid of Burke if they don't make the playoffs for the 8th season in a row.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Do you REALLY think it's that big of a deal for a team like the Leafs? Dude you guys **** money.
It isn't a matter of not being able to afford the contract it is the stupidity of not using taking on the contract to get the cost down. Burke doesn't have to give Gillis the deal of a lifetime for Luongo.

Closed Thread