HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Canadian Politics III

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
http://www.threehundredeight.com/201...l#comment-form

Could someone explain to me how the Tory voters would jump to the Green Party in this situation, I know the CPC candidate is pretty bad, but aren't the Greens anti-oil?
Perhaps it's a case that Tory voters in that riding don't believe the Green party's anti-oil stance will have any sort of impact in parliament, and they don't want to elect an embarrassing candidate? The only way I see this making sense is that people really hate the CPC candidate, they also hate the Liberals because of the NEP so the only legitimate candidate left is the one from the green party.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Local Tories will eventually fall into line and vote for Crockatt. She's a horrible, horrible candidate but they'd rather see her win than someone else. This is the same city that elects Rob Anders.
Rob Anders and some others of like mind sound a lot like the Tea Party and extreme right of the GOP.

However in Canada they are unable to get their hands on the levers of power and exert any real control over the Conservative party.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Puck
Ninja

Calgary-Centre would get lots of rep points outside Alberta for voting something else than CPC. Liberals and Greens might end up cancelling each other's vote. If they do, it will re-ignite the discussion about colluding amongst themselves not to run candidates in some strategic ridings.

p.s. Crokatt has to be the dumbest pundit to appear on the CBC Power & Politics.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Rob Anders and some others of like mind sound a lot like the Tea Party and extreme right of the GOP.

However in Canada they are unable to get their hands on the levers of power and exert any real control over the Conservative party.
Way too tiring a business for Anders.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywhite View Post
Way too tiring a business for Anders.
As they say in that other official language... TOUCHY!!!!

And:
A veterans advocacy group is furious at a Conservative MP who fell asleep during their presentation and later accused them of being “NDP hacks” when they criticized his behaviour.

Jim Lowther, president of Veterans Emergency Transition Services, said he was dumbfounded when Calgary MP Rob Anders slept through the group’s presentation on supporting homeless veterans Tuesday in Halifax.

“He was out like a light for about five minutes,” Mr. Lowther said. “He came in late, didn’t ask any questions and then fell asleep. Wow ... I couldn’t believe my eyes.”
When pressed, Mr. Anders refused to say if he had fallen asleep at any other meetings or legislative sessions aside from the one caught on video.

But Liberal MP Sean Casey, who is vice-chairman of the veteran affairs committee, said Mr. Anders did nod off – but it wasn’t his place to wake him.

“It’s a regular occurrence,” Mr. Casey told The Globe, adding he first noticed Mr. Anders sleeping in the fall. “I sit across from him when we meet in Ottawa and I’ve seen his neighbours poke him awake sometimes.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...article551507/

Probably better Anders is sleeping as he is less dangerous in that state.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Francesa

Why is he dressed like that

Old
11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post

Maybe it's a subtle symbolism for the style of policies and governance that Stephen Harper and his former Reform Party have brought to Ottawa.

Or maybe it's cool these days. I don't know.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Defensive Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post

He acts entitled all the time....

Oh wait, were you talking about Bieber?

Old
11-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Maybe it's a subtle symbolism for the style of policies and governance that Stephen Harper and his former Reform Party have brought to Ottawa.

Or maybe it's cool these days. I don't know.
Damn kids with their new clothes. You know, I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:39 PM
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Damn kids with their new clothes. You know, I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
We're all not. I've read that the age that most people aspire to be - both children and adults - is 17. So that age tends to set the trends.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
We're all not. I've read that the age that most people aspire to be - both children and adults - is 17. So that age tends to set the trends.
I wouldn't be 17 again if you paid me. 23+ were much happier years.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Puck
Ninja

It's the first 100 years that are best. It's all downhill after that. What I've heard.

Harper made a sarcastic putdown comment while in Opposition about Paul Martin incessantly being photographed with music celebrities (Bono etc.). Looks like he contracted the same cool-factor image disease himself in the PMO.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
In case anyone missed this from the lounge

Old
11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Burke the Legend

Bieber is just a dumb kid living in a superstar celebrity bubble he doesn't know any better.

His managers, publiscists, or mother should have told him to put on a nice suit. I'm sure he would look pretty sharp in perfectly fitted 5000 dollar suit anyways and be even more adored cuz of it.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Free Kassian

Old
11-26-2012, 10:23 AM
bombers15

Quote:

Old
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Mark Carney has been named the next governor of the Bank of England. Very surprising.

I guess that puts to rest the rumours about him running as leader of the Liberals.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Mark Carney has been named the next governor of the Bank of England. Very surprising.

I guess that puts to rest the rumours about him running as leader of the Liberals.
Bet he cant get away from that hot potato of a housing market fast enough.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:02 PM
The Moose

Quote:

I don't think there ever was any substance to those rumors.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:05 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:

I wasn't aware that foreigners could hold that position. That is indeed an interesting turn of events.

It was always a bit of a pipe dream though in retrospect. Apparently Carney never had any serious interest in running for the Liberals' vacant leadership seat in the first place. The media and party hopefuls simply crafted a narrative because he was a prominent moderate in a high profile position with an immaculate reputation.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I wasn't aware that foreigners could hold that position. That is indeed an interesting turn of events.

It was always a bit of a pipe dream though in retrospect. Apparently Carney never had any serious interest in running for the Liberals' vacant leadership seat in the first place. The media and party hopefuls simply crafted a narrative because he was a prominent moderate in a high profile position with an immaculate reputation.
Canada is part of the commonwealth. He probably does not even have to the hassle someone from the US would.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post

Carney lived in the UK for ten years. He has a history there. Both his wife and offspring have dual-citizenship. I am not sure how relevant that is, but it might help.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:35 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Why is he dressed like that?.....

Last edited by canucksfan: 11-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 10:29 PM
StringerBell

Anyone know who appoints the Governor of the BoE? Is it a private board or a governmental decision?

Old
11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Bieber is just a dumb kid living in a superstar celebrity bubble he doesn't know any better.

His managers, publiscists, or mother should have told him to put on a nice suit. I'm sure he would look pretty sharp in perfectly fitted 5000 dollar suit anyways and be even more adored cuz of it.
With all the staff around him taking care of his schedule, it's possible that Bieber was not even aware that he had received a medal or that the Prime Minister was personally presenting it to him.

Closed Thread