HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jumbo linemates?

Old
06-16-2012, 08:57 PM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Jumbo linemates?

We've experimented with the bottom six, upgraded the defence, changed goalies, changed coaches, etc. and not much is different with this team. I think the top six forwards are what makes or breaks this team. We've been bounced out of the playoffs while some "star" players were clearly gliding out there. We've seen some good chemistry with certain lines and some awful chemistry as well. I don't think we've seen both of the top 2 lines ever have good chemistry. It's usually one while the other suffers.

I think we need to try to get some players who can max out that top line with Jumbo Joe. Heatley was a nice try but wasn't ideal. Let's try again! Cheechoo, Ekman and Michalek all worked nicely and so did Couture for his limited time in his rookie season. Clowe has surprisingly looked good when paired with Joe as well.

Thornton is way too good of a player to not have the ideal guys on his line. Patty isn't cutting it and Pavs should be centering a different line imo (the 2nd). Maybe this is another product of coaching. perhaps we have the right guys here but the wrong coach. what do you think?

Considering our current assets and cap situation, what players do you think would fit best on Thornton's line? and how can we get those players? How can we get the most from our captain?

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:02 PM
WestCoast

People won't like it, but Nash would look pretty awesome playing with Joe for a few years.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
People won't like it, but Nash would look pretty awesome playing with Joe for a few years.
"You guys you guys. Heatley and Thornton are gonna light it up like nobody's business!"

I'm gonna stick with the idea of putting two guys like Galiardi with Jumbo.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:40 AM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
This would actually be very awesome. My ideal top line would be
Galiardi-Thornton-Nash
With Pavs centering the 3rd line and having 3 scoring lines again

ThorNton Apologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
We've experimented with the bottom six, upgraded the defence, changed goalies, changed coaches, etc. and not much is different with this team. I think the top six forwards are what makes or breaks this team. We've been bounced out of the playoffs while some "star" players were clearly gliding out there. We've seen some good chemistry with certain lines and some awful chemistry as well. I don't think we've seen both of the top 2 lines ever have good chemistry. It's usually one while the other suffers.

I think we need to try to get some players who can max out that top line with Jumbo Joe. Heatley was a nice try but wasn't ideal. Let's try again! Cheechoo, Ekman and Michalek all worked nicely and so did Couture for his limited time in his rookie season. Clowe has surprisingly looked good when paired with Joe as well.

Thornton is way too good of a player to not have the ideal guys on his line. Patty isn't cutting it and Pavs should be centering a different line imo (the 2nd). Maybe this is another product of coaching. perhaps we have the right guys here but the wrong coach. what do you think?

Considering our current assets and cap situation, what players do you think would fit best on Thornton's line? and how can we get those players? How can we get the most from our captain?
Ovechkin
Vanek
Stafford
Versteeg
Ryan
Perry
Kessel
Stamkos

All of those players are right handed and would be great with Jumbo. Only two are realistic. I really think Drew Stafford would be great with him.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:24 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

Jumbo dies on the vine without speed for zone entry. Even when Patty isn't scoring, he does provide entries. One player on JT's line has to have speed and the Sharks certainly lacked in the top 6 in that department. Not arguing for Patty with JT, just don't stick JT with two slowsters (eg Pavs & Couture). JT has done well with both Michalek and Ekman in the speed role.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:28 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not arguing for Patty with JT, just don't stick JT with two slowsters (eg Pavs & Couture). JT has done well with both Michalek and Ekman in the speed role.
I'm fine with Marleau with Thornton still, but Thornton did do well when he was with Couture and Pavelski this season, and Couture and Heatley the seasons before.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Jumbo dies on the vine without speed for zone entry. Even when Patty isn't scoring, he does provide entries. One player on JT's line has to have speed and the Sharks certainly lacked in the top 6 in that department. Not arguing for Patty with JT, just don't stick JT with two slowsters (eg Pavs & Couture). JT has done well with both Michalek and Ekman in the speed role.
I agree with the post that suggested putting Galiardi on the top line. He is a fast and good forechecker, which is what Jumbo needs. It would also help build Galiardi's confidence. He needs speed and a finisher, preferably a righty, on his line.

Galiardi-Thornton-Stafford
Couture-Marleau-Havlat
Winnik-Pavelski-Wingels

That would be a good top 9.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:11 AM
oyster

Why do some people keep suggesting putting Galiardi on a line with Thornton? I don't understand it.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:16 AM
Korolyuk15

This discussion starts and ends with Alexander Semin....he is a right handed sniper with speed who loves to rip shots from the right circle

no one else available even comes close...sadly not sure he would want to come to SJ...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:21 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
Why do some people keep suggesting putting Galiardi on a line with Thornton? I don't understand it.
they want the no.1 pick apparently.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:29 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
Thornton has shown that his line could produce with 1 3rd/4th liner on his line (Vesce, Ferriero, Desjardins), as long as that scrub isn't completely incompetent (Mitchell). Galiardi is better than all 4 of those players. He's quick, a good forechecker, and physical.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:40 AM
FeedingFrenzy

I will say this again. Stick both Wingels and TJ on a line with JT.. And dont screw with it after 5 games. What exactly do we have to lose with this experiment?? Nothing!

Both these kids have the tools to play with JT. Give them 20 games.

tj-jt-wingels
patty-juicy-marty
winnik-pavs-clowe(trade clowe)stepniak

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Glen Murray and Mike Knuble.....do it

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Sharksfan83

The Winnik - Pavelski - Marleau line was so solid defensively. I think this line would be so good to match against the top lines game in game out.

That leaves Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Then JT with whoever. One decent forward signing, then add in TJ or Wingels, and JT makes the line.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Southlake

I think one of Jumbo's real talents, and one that really sets him apart, is his ability to really make superstars out of average ish players. We always get so excited to see him paired with an amazing player, but those players end up producing at the same level as they did before. Right now, I think we're trying so hard to pair Jumbo with the best possible players that we're clogging up the top line, and not getting the results we want.

I'd rather see Pavs centering a line somewhere, switch the three scoring lines, and put two guys with Thornton who haven't reached their full potential yet. From our current lineup, I'd like to see Galiardi up there because he's fast, physical, and has great positioning. Then I'd like to see us find him a right handed RW and really let them develop some chemistry.

Southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:45 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

I can't see Galiardi on the top line working out. Yes, he's fast, but Thornton needs someone on both wings who can convert his passes, Gali doesn't have a very good shot in my opinion. I think Couture is the best LW. He's fast enough, and his shooting accuracy is very good (best on the team in the regular season). I believe Logan played with the Joes near the end of the regular season, and it worked out pretty good.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:27 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'm fine with Marleau with Thornton still, but Thornton did do well when he was with Couture and Pavelski this season, and Couture and Heatley the seasons before.
It had quick spurts but feel quickly. There was also the issue of goal diff, not raw goals scored.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:42 PM
WantonAbandon

It would be nice to have Marleau back at center with Havlat and Couture, but unless a forward is picked up and Clowe is traded there is no way the top line will be messed with.

TJ with Thornton seem ridiculous to me. The guy skates with his head down. I wouldn't want to break up Desi and Wingles at this point. They are the closest thing the Sharks currently have under contract next season resembling scoring depth. Pavelski is not scoring depth!!!!!

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:10 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Ovechkin
Vanek
Stafford
Versteeg
Ryan
Perry
Kessel
Stamkos

All of those players are right handed and would be great with Jumbo. Only two are realistic. I really think Drew Stafford would be great with him.
Good list.

Omg.. thinking about Stamkos with Thornton.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
"You guys you guys. Heatley and Thornton are gonna light it up like nobody's business!"

I'm gonna stick with the idea of putting two guys like Galiardi with Jumbo.
I agree. If you can put the right mid tier players with jumbo, he'll be able to magnify their potential and get quality results out of them. You can then split your stars up and have 3 legit scoring lines to spread out and increase the scoring.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
I'm still waiting for Heatley to score 60 goals on Thornton's wing.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:05 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Good list.

Omg.. thinking about Stamkos with Thornton.
At best he would replicate what he is doing now. Boyle and Burns would probably have more of an effect on Stamkos then Thornton. He would help spread out the opposing D more.

Tampa doesn't really have a big threat on the point

Old
06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm still waiting for Heatley to score 60 goals on Thornton's wing.
Marleau and Heatley combined for over 80 during the first year he was here. I was quite satisfied with that. Don't know about you. No way in hell TJ would even sniff 30 on JTs wing

Old
06-17-2012, 09:12 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Marleau and Heatley combined for over 80 during the first year he was here. I was quite satisfied with that. Don't know about you. No way in hell TJ would even sniff 30 on JTs wing
But if he hit 20, I'd say experiment success.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote