HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sens re-sign Erik Karlsson (7 years, $6.5M cap hit)

Old
06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Yes he is better. All of those players are better than Karlsson overall.

How's Gomez btw?
I'm sure he is better...at playing wing.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Good for Karlsson. Good d-man, but could end up being a steep contract. I think all Flames fans know that feeling with Phaneuf.

I'm not saying Phaneuf=Karlsson, but a young kid coming off an ELC to a big contract could hurt the Sens if he regresses like Dion did.

I don't think he will regress, so it should be a good deal for Ott.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pyromaniac3

vCash: 500
Really good deal for both sides looking up a future number 1 d-man. He still has to learn some defense other than that he is going to be an ass to play against.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
And more. However, Karlsson at this point would be beyond perfect as our #2 next to Chara! He's got talent for sure... still needs development though. Wait until he does play on the PK, then I will accept that he is as good defensively as some people say.
Agree. He's a great player but he's not a #1 and certainly shouldn't be paid by one.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Being 21 is irrelevant? Tell me the average prime of NHL players. I could of sworn it was mid-late twenties. Again, you CLEARLY don't watch enough of Erik Karlsson if you think that he doesn't have an under-rated positional defensive game. He puts up 25+ minutes a night playing against the very best players.

You see that giant, blue circle right at the top of this chart? Well, it shows that Erik Karlsson played against the best players in the NHL last season while BADLY out shooting the opposition while he was on ice. His zone starting is average and is used defensively almost just as much as he is offensively.

Blind homerism? Sure. Think what you wish, but I'll be happy with our elite, #1 D-man for the next 7 years.
Being 21 is completely, 100% irrelevant as to whether Karlsson is a #1 D right now, yes. I don't know how you can even contest that. And hey, the very best players, you say? That would mean he is out there on the PK!! Because guess where the best players are?!

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
Good for Karlsson. Good d-man, but could end up being a steep contract. I think all Flames fans know that feeling with Phaneuf.

I'm not saying Phaneuf=Karlsson, but a young kid coming off an ELC to a big contract could hurt the Sens if he regresses like Dion did.

I don't think he will regress, so it should be a good deal for Ott.
I think this is a much more solid discussion. It's not really about whether he played like a #1, as he clearly did. It's more about if he can sustain that level of play.

Old
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Lidstrom
Chara
Weber
Suter
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Brown
Letang
Seabrook
Byfuglien
Wow. Someone was reaching. All who are bolded are either questionable (Letang/Pietrangelo; both great D-men who are similar in value) or not even a D-man (Brown).

Breant Seabrook? You were better off saying Duncan Keith, hombre. Dustin Byfuglien? Okay.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Lint07

Has the year-by-year salary breakdown been released yet?

Lint07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Made a mistake it happens. What are you going to do call 911 on me?
And this is how you know you lost a debate.

A mistake you actually made vs a mistake I never made.

Old
Jorec

Why is anyone responding to Alycat? He's trolling, it's pretty blatant he's just trying to get a rise out of anyone who responds to him.

Jorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Wow. Someone was reaching. All who are bolded are either questionable (Letang/Pietrangelo; both great D-men who are similar in value) or not even a D-man (Brown).

Breant Seabrook? You were better off saying Duncan Keith, hombre. Dustin Byfuglien? Okay.
I'm done having to defend my opinion to someone who is clearly blinded by homerism.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Seabrook is a solid d-man and letang/pietrangelo are fair in the discussion, but Byfuglien? Jesus.

Old
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorec View Post
Why is anyone responding to Alycat? He's trolling, it's pretty blatant he's just trying to get a rise out of anyone who responds to him.
Not trolling it's called having a different view on things from the outside.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Being 21 is completely, 100% irrelevant as to whether Karlsson is a #1 D right now, yes. I don't know how you can even contest that. And hey, the very best players, you say? That would mean he is out there on the PK!! Because guess where the best players are?!
His age did not have direct relation to be a #1 D-man rather than an upside and yet another asset to Erik Karlsson. To the PK argument:

If you have a player, like Erik Karlsson, playing 25+ minutes a night. A player capable breaking out the puck like almost no other player in the entire NHL right now; an offensive dynamo. Why would a team put out this particular player out for even longer to play the PK when we have D-men meant to play that role while Karlsson spends his minutes where he is MOST valuable.

It's evident who and who hasn't watched Karlsson play.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think this is a much more solid discussion. It's not really about whether he played like a #1, as he clearly did. It's more about if he can sustain that level of play.

Well I am very glad you are the end-all-be-all judge of all things that matter! Sheesh. How was he ok the PK against the best of the best, where #1's play? He'll get there eventually, maybe even next season for all we know. At this point he is still just an elite offensive defenseman with average defensive skills.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:49 PM
albator71

Quote:
Agree. He's a great player but he's not a #1 and certainly shouldn't be paid by one.
why do you care so much man? are you the one paying his salary?

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shootingrubber

Quote:
Lidstrom
Chara
Weber
Suter
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Brown
Letang
Seabrook
Byfuglien

shootingrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
His age did not have direct relation to be a #1 D-man rather than an upside and yet another asset to Erik Karlsson. To the PK argument:

If you have a player, like Erik Karlsson, playing 25+ minutes a night. A player capable breaking out the puck like almost no other player in the entire NHL right now; an offensive dynamo. Why would a team put out this particular player out for even longer to play the PK when we have D-men meant to play that role while Karlsson spends his minutes where he is MOST valuable.

Hahaha. He doesn't play the PK because "you" haven't seen him play. I like that argument.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

You would not want someone with his puck skills, awareness, and "breaking out the puck" pedigree on the PK to get rid of the puck ASAP from the D-zone on a PK? Alright, buddy.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Magix

Quote:

He is a different breed of dman, the type that has been seen for a while now. I think what irks most people who dont like him is they prefer seeing a big man handle another player physically in a corner rather then some 12 year old looking player who uses his speed and stick to the job done.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Elever
Hth

I get the cap hit but I'm not sure why they gave him 7 yrs? Maybe 2 or 3 and then at his next contract, give him the same or $7M. If his play does drop off then with a shorter contract, they would've had more leverage during the next talks and also the same with Cowen. It's not really a big issue but just in an ideal situation, shorter contract, keep the guy motivated etc.

Quote:
Lidstrom
Chara
Weber
Suter
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Brown
Letang
Seabrook
Byfuglien
The funnier thing than you listing Seabrook is that you listed Byfuglien over Enstrom lol.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Jorec

Quote:
Not trolling it's called having a different view on things from the outside.
So your intent in sitting in a thread for a player making hyperbolic comments on the players skill and flippant replies is too... what? educate people? Comon man. Your welcome to do it, but I don't see why people are responding to you as if your actually debating or trying to make a real point. But you've done a good job at getting folks riled up, lol.

Jorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
You would not want someone with his puck skills, awareness, and "breaking out the puck" pedigree on the PK to get rid of the puck ASAP from the D-zone on a PK? Alright, buddy.
Your assuming Karlsson plays 0 seconds all season on the PK.

Remember that game the sens beat the bruins 1-0 this season? He was on the pk when it was 6 on 4 with 1 minute left in the game.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Magix

Quote:
Maybe when some of the prospects pan out, but as of right now sens cant afford to play him that much without it negatively affecting the offense.

What most outsiders dont realize is that without karlsson, the sens only have one other player who can create (spezza). So why burn karlsson out and effectively have one player who can do something on offense.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MikeK

vCash: 8000
WOW. That is a lot of money on a long term contract for such a young Dman. I am not so sure I would have liked it if it was my team. If he can stay consistent then it's a good deal for both sides and my worries are for nothing but I don't think he has shown it for long enough to warrant this type of contract. Time will tell though.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote