HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sens re-sign Erik Karlsson (7 years, $6.5M cap hit)

Old
06-19-2012, 08:36 PM
duli12345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
A little higher than I expected but only by 250k or so. Brave move, could turn out great, could turn out horrible, will probably turn out somewhere in the middle.

Was kind of expecting what tony d said, 5 years 6M per. But this is good.
No chance of that. Karlsson has been improving each and every year unlike Doughty minus his recent playoffs.

I though Doughty was a big risk and looked like bad move towards the end of the regular season.

duli12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:37 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by duli12345 View Post
6.5 per for Karlsson is a freaking STEAL if you ask me. Dude will be MUCH better player than he is and he is already one of the best login more minutes on average than Doughty or Petro and has no equal offensively IMO.
How on earth is this a steal?

He's one of the highest paid defenseman in the league now. It'd be a steal if they signed him for $5 million or less.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
His agent could have gotten and put a gun to the Sens head easily as in 7.5 or 8 per.

Remember LA wanted no part of 7 mill for Doughty coming off entry level even though he showed lots of promise but no norris contention like Karlsson is.
Doughty was nominated for the Norris in 2010 when he was 20 years old.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:39 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Karlsson is 21 and only getting better. This will turn out either AMAZING or great.
It could turn out Amazing for sure but it could also turn out poorly. I don't foresee that it will but many elite defensemen can fall back on their solid defensive abilities if the offensive ones get stiffled (Doughty while not a 7 million dollar man throughout the season was still around 5-6 million because of his defense.) Karlsson, while not bad defensively, isn't at the same level. It's a risk I'm surprised the org took but, not a big one.

Quote:
His agent could have gotten and put a gun to the Sens head easily as in 7.5 or 8 per.

Remember LA wanted no part of 7 mill for Doughty coming off entry level even though he showed lots of promise but no norris contention like Karlsson is.
That's definitely true. 6.5M may be a lot but it could easily have been a lot more.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:39 PM
duli12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
If I were a Sens fan I would be happy with the price and term. The only thing I would be concerned about is that Phaneuf and Green's long-term deals looked great too when they were high-scoring, young defenders.
Phaneuf with all due respect was nowhere near Karlsson offensively or playmaking wise. Only similarity was shot from the point and the goals.

Green and Karlsson are totally different players especially in terms of skating and even vision and the fact that Green had a cast of superstar forwards to help him when he was good.

Karlsson carries Ottawa, a lot of nights on his own.

78 pts in 80 games is ridiculous is this 2nd dead-puck era we are in.

Last edited by duli12345: 06-19-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
duli12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
How on earth is this a steal?

He's one of the highest paid defenseman in the league now. It'd be a steal if they signed him for $5 million or less.
A number scrubs make 6.5 in the NHL now a days. 5+ if the going rate for top shelf #3 or #2 Dman.

Karlsson is a topshelf #1 with serous upside still @ 21.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
underslept

Quote:
Phaneuf with all due respect was nowhere near Karlsson offensively or playmaking wise. Only similarity was shot from the point and the goals.

Green and Karlsson are totally different players especially in terms of skating and even vision and the fact that Green has a cast of superstar forwards to help him.

This pretty much explains the overpayment.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

Green and Karlsson are totally different players especially in terms of skating and even vision and the fact that Green has a cast of superstar forwards to help him.

My point was not to compare playing style, but to point out that there are numerous recent examples of young defensemen scoring a lot of points in their first few seasons, receiving Norris consideration, signing a long-term contract for big money, and then regressing in their play (Phaneuf, Green, and Doughty). It may or may not be a cause for concern on a long-term deal. We'll find out the next couple of seasons.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I'm thrilled with Karlsson's contract and I think he'll be a franchise player for us in Ottawa, but to say there is "no way" that the contract could potentially back fire is just wrong.

Who knows what could happen. Injuries could subdue him, or there's the very rare chance (IMO) that he falls off the map. I don't think it's likely that he won't live up to the contract, at all. However, there's always a possibility for anything to happen.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
duli12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankieDankie View Post
I guess it's a fair deal. Not a great deal, not a bad one either. The Sens HAVE to pay him, they have no choice. If I were a Sens fan, I would be a bit worried though. EK had an amazing season, but that only means very high expectations for the next season. A contract like this only increases those expectations. Expectations that are very difficult to meet. Best case scenario, Ek continues to be a 60+ pt player, so its a fair deal. On the other hand, he is a young player, and could very easily regress.
60+ pts Karlsson who plays 27 mins a night and solid to great defensively is still worth more than 6.5

I can not see his number dip a bit and his defense not improving at the same time.

Lets see what he can do if Ottawa can develop top notch forwards or make trades to upgrade themselves like is rumored.

Last edited by duli12345: 06-19-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 08:53 PM
duli12345

Players that rely on physicality or contact to compete and stay at the top are the players that worry me the most, not guys like Lidstrom or Karlsson that glide around, elude checks, score points, and as far as defensively stick check and just get on peoples way instead of knocking them down. Karlsson is even more elusive and mobile than Lids was with more offensive talent I would say. Yet to be seen whether he can be near as good defensively long term.

Those type of players last a lot longer in terms of their peak and are less risky.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Nac Mac Feegle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Players that rely on physicality or contact to compete and stay at the top are the players that worry me the most, not guys like Lidstrom or Karlsson that glide around, elude checks, score points, and as far as defensively stick check and just get on peoples way instead of knocking them down.

Those type of players last a lot longer in terms of their peak and are less risky.
Well said.

Karlsson is a very intelligent player on both sides of the ice. Not only that, but he has an incredibly high compete level and a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He wants to win anything and everything available to him.

The kid's progression as been a strong and steady increase for nearly 3 seasons now. There hasn't been a hint of regression or sophomore slump at all. No reason to think he's reached his peak yet.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Frank Drebin
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 735
Great signing Ottawa.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:02 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Not a bad deal, a little risky so young but only the future will show what happens.

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Huge risk for the Sens. Time will tell if they did well or not.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Great deal for my 3rd or 4th favorite team. Congrats Sens fans, I think it looks very fair for both sides. I don't think its risky like some have said, and I think that the defensive game is harder to learn when you're as young as EK. If Karlsson can resist the allure of falling back on his offensive gifts and really learn how to play Lidstrom-esque defense (70-80% of a Lidstrom would be great) then it might turn out to be a steal.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Ouroboros

He'll be out the league in 3 years. Can't give this kind of money to this kind of player.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:30 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
He'll be out the league in 3 years. Can't give this kind of money to this kind of player.
Lol....what?

What type of player? Amazing?

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Kid is trending up skill-wise. Even if he fails to match these totals again (Which wouldn't be a surprise at all), I'm still pleased with the deal. 50-60 points and I'll be pleased with it. Hell, with the way contracts are trending up, this might be a bargain in a few years.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Huge risk for the Sens. Time will tell if they did well or not.
What a joke.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
And the award for most asinine comment of the day goes to...

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:40 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
And the award for most asinine comment of the day goes to...
He's a Sens fan (I think?) so I'm just going to assume he forgot the ""

Old
06-19-2012, 09:41 PM
InvalidUsername

Good deal. Kid's a ****ing stud.

InvalidUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
JustAHabFan

It's not that bad of contract and it's not that great either. But the Sens take a lot of risk with that contract.

JustAHabFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:48 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I still don't get the whole "big risk" thing.