HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fantasy Hockey Talk

Old
01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
McKenzie tweeting that he's hearing rumors of Kovalchuk staying in Russia as well. Nothing confirmed, just rumors.

We all know there's an agreement between the KHL and NHL that players under contract must return to the states. But is it a legal, binding agreement or just a gentlemen's understanding? Could they take these battles to court if they try and stay in Russia? What are the options of NHL teams if they do not return?
It's a drawn out agreement so the player would lose in court.

And since there is an agreement, the players holding out would be ineligible for the Olympics

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

And since there is an agreement, the players holding out would be ineligible for the Olympics
And there's no way Kovi would risk that with the Olympics in Russia next year. One would think anyway.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Krishna

Katie Strang‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Via email, Bill Daly said KHL has confirmed they honor agreement with NHL that NHL player cannot play there once lockout lifted

Old
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:

Thanks for the info Krishna, wasn't fully aware of the situation.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Katie Strang‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Via email, Bill Daly said KHL has confirmed they honor agreement with NHL that NHL player cannot play there once lockout lifted
That's what I thought.

Awkward.

01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
healthyscratch

Just curious, are the buy outs available before this shortened season, or not allowed to be utilized until this summer?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Just curious, are the buy outs available before this shortened season, or not allowed to be utilized until this summer?
I don't see why regular buyouts wouldn't be allowed

Compliance buyouts start in the summer

Old
01-08-2013, 04:00 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud

Hearing talk from Russia, that oil and natural gas magnates who own SKA and CSKA will look into ways of keeping Kovalchuk, Datsyuk.
This could get sticky.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
bennysflyers16

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

Please only the Rangers 4 times !!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
This could get sticky.
No it won't.

KHL has already commented on the issue that they will honor the agreement with the NHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

That's beyond stupid.

Why not go for 7x division + 2x conference?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:18 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

I say Rags and Pens 5 times. Isles and Devils 4 times. its going to be a fairly balanced schedule. everyone is going to play everyone a fairly equal amount of times. should just have 8 best teams make the playoffs but that'd never fly

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
This could get sticky.
Not sure about Datsyuk, but I think there's no way that Kovalchuk stays in Russia. He has completely re-invented himself since getting to New Jersey, and I think the NHL is the biggest priority for him right now.

Datsyuk could be interesting though. He's accomplished just about everything there is to do in the NHL, and the Red Wings certainly look like they're on their own downturn. He's always been a guy that hasn't been shy to admit how much he likes playing over there as well. He could definitely be swayed to stay home in my opinion, unless it ruins his eligibility to play in the next Olympics.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:23 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
No it won't.

KHL has already commented on the issue that they will honor the agreement with the NHL.
They've used lip service like that before. I also really don't see why a Russian couldn't just "retire" from the NHL to play in the KHL. Their NHL contract would be void at that point, no? Who cares if they can't go back to the NHL ever if they don't want to anyway (though Olympics might get sticky, but even that has legal workarounds somewhere I'm sure).

I agree it is implausible (except for Lubo, whom I really don't expect to see in the NHL), but it is foolish to talk in definitives.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
They've used lip service like that before. I also really don't see why a Russian couldn't just "retire" from the NHL to play in the KHL. Their NHL contract would be void at that point, no? Who cares if they can't go back to the NHL ever if they don't want to anyway (though Olympics might get sticky, but even that has legal workarounds somewhere I'm sure).

I agree it is implausible (except for Lubo, whom I really don't expect to see in the NHL), but it is foolish to talk in definitives.
No, it wouldn't be void.

Technically a player who retires from the league with an active contract is not 100% retired until the contract is over. If he was to retire and try to go play in the KHL, he wouldn't be allowed because he has an active NHL contract.

Edit :

I'll add in some more.

When a player retires, they get put on the voluntarily retired list.

When this happens, you can not return to the league for a full year unless every single Governor signs off on it.

Also, they may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, as a player for a period of three years from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry

And : Being placed on the list does not relinquish a teams rights to that player. He cannot return and sign with another team during the remaining term of his contract and the team would still hold his RFA rights if he were not UFA eligible. A player cannot use retirement to circumvent the free agency rules.

Last edited by Krishna: 01-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
MsWoof

From Slava Malamud's twitter feed:

Quote:
KHL Prez Medvedev to SportsDaily.ru: New CBA may be basis for terminating existing contracts, some players will stay.
Quote:
More Medvedev. "NHL's opinion of itself is so high... OK, let them get drunk on their greatness. We'll see how many Euros look our way"
Quote:
And more Medvedev. "Our league will act according to our own and international rules. If players decide to stay, we will help them."

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Krishna

I can't wait for this clown to try and take it to court and lose.

He claims changes in the CBA make the SPCs void.

If he bothered to read the SPC, he'd see that it states that it could be changed by future CBAs.

Hope Kovalchuk enjoy not playing in the olympics

Old
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
From Slava Malamud's twitter feed:
I get the sense that Medvedev is a loony.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I get the sense that Medvedev is a loony.

A loony Ruskie is never a good thing.

This thing sounds like it has some legs, this tweet coming from Brooks:

Brooks:
Post is told that Fetisov is playing prime role in KHL attempt to keep Kovalchuk and other Russians from returning to NHL.
8:51pm - 8 Jan 13

It would be terrible if they kidnapped Malkin.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
We all know there's an agreement between the KHL and NHL that players under contract must return to the states. But is it a legal, binding agreement or just a gentlemen's understanding? Could they take these battles to court if they try and stay in Russia? What are the options of NHL teams if they do not return?
Yeah, I'm also wondering about the nature of this agreement. I think Medvedev won't get his way, but it's good he's fighting to keep the players in the league and giving the NHL a taste of its own medicine. This could be especially problematic if there really is an actual agreement between the leagues, though. If the agreement isn't binding, I'd say screw the NHL and fight for the guys to stay in the league. Kovalchuk and Ovechkin said they might stay in the KHL if they don't agree with the new CBA, i.e. if it significantly slashes their contracts, so this might just be additional pressure on the negotiators not to sign such a deal (I haven't been following the negotiations closely, has this been agreed upon already?). But I have a feeling those guys like living in the USA, especially Malkin, who I think, ironically in an interview whose excerpt was used by one of the tabloid/gossip blogs (I forget whether it was Puck Daddy or Bleacher Report), said earlier in the season he actually would return to Pittsburgh once the lockout was over. Plus, star players actually could fear legal consequences in terms of sued for damages. With lower rung players, I don't think they could sue for much more than fulfillment of contract, but since I assume they wouldn't be paying them if they played in the KHL, I fail to see how there would be significant damages worth suing for. On the other hand, Washington's identity hinges on Ovechkin and him not going back would influence a lot more than just a player missing. So no one could actually force them to go back, but I see plenty of reasons why these players would return.

Having said that, I would of course be happy if they stayed in Russia, and hopefully give more impetus for KHL to approach the NHL in quality. I know this won't happen anytime soon or ever, not least due to the fact that people (including me) would just rather live in the US/Canada, but still.

It seems Medvedev is just trying to stir **** up, though.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Krishna

Ryker, they do have a binding agreement

Old
01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Hey guys, I asked this before the season started in the summer but I wanted to see if anyone's opinion had changed. In my keeper pool for my 10th forwards I'm down to keeping either Voracek or Couturier. Long term I think Couturier should be the more productive player, but Voracek will likely out score Sean this season. I have an excellent chance to win, who should I keep and what do you expect their totals to be in this shortened season?
My thoughts are if their totals are within 10pts I'm probably better off to keep Couturier and not risk losing him.

It would also be my goal redraft either player I don't end up protecting in the 1st couple of rounds.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Hey guys, I asked this before the season started in the summer but I wanted to see if anyone's opinion had changed. In my keeper pool for my 10th forwards I'm down to keeping either Voracek or Couturier. Long term I think Couturier should be the more productive player, but Voracek will likely out score Sean this season. I have an excellent chance to win, who should I keep and what do you expect their totals to be in this shortened season?
My thoughts are if their totals are within 10pts I'm probably better off to keep Couturier and not risk losing him.

It would also be my goal redraft either player I don't end up protecting in the 1st couple of rounds.
Well Voracek is most likely playing with Giroux this year which should boost his numbers.

I guess long term it comes down to whether you need the center or the winger.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
healthyscratch

Per McKenzie, Junior players only going to be allowed a 5 game look see before they burn a year of their ELC. So if they keep Laughton around he must be sent back to juniors before he plays his 6th game instead of ten, this season only.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

If Toronto does end up getting Luongo, maybe we should look into get James Reimer from them.

Asked on the main board about him, Leaf fan said Giroux would have to come back. LOL

Last edited by Prongo: 01-09-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote